closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can anyone tell me....

Blog Entries

Can anyone tell me....

please, of any watch that employs the second handed sweeping movement but that is powered by quartz?

I had wondered this as I wanted a watch with sweeping second hand (rather than the tick-tocking) but without the use of an automatic or a winder.

Are there any offering this?

Do the Mondaine Railway watches incorporate this sweep in their collection of quartz watches?

Best regards
    Bond

Better to go the other way around, get a mechanical watch with with a tick instead! :twisted:

Sorry, just had to say it. :D
    I'm sure someone else here will better answer your question.

/Stefan

Blog Entries
    :lol:

Master

Re: Can anyone tell me....

Quote Originally Posted by bond
    please, of any watch that employs the second handed sweeping movement but that is powered by quartz?
    You need a tuning fork watch - Omegary has a lovely Zenith - and he was kind enough to include a link about tuning fork watches on that page.

Having a second hand step once a second reduces battery usage - although if you had a Seiko kinetic movement, maybe the watch could afford to be a little more generous with its power consumption?

Simon

Blog Entries
    cheers for the link gladders

looks good

Quote Originally Posted by S.L
    Better to go the other way around, get a mechanical watch with with a tick instead! :twisted:

/Stefan
    The feature is called 'dead seconds'* (in French: seconde morte). Breguet used the expression seconde d?un coup or "sudden second".

Didn't the old MOD Seiko quartz have the chrono-seconds beat fifths or quarters?

john

* ... that's why people don't like them. Who was to walk around with something dying on their wrist. :roll: :P
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Even though the true seconds hand ticks, the large chrono seconds hand sort of sweeps on these Eco drive chronographs.

Sweeping quartz

Hi Bond

Whilst probably not helping you in our current quest, Seiko produced (in the late 80's early 90's I believe) a quartz movement with a true sweeping seconds hand.

It was usually adorned with a pulsemeter type dial and gold plated case. Battery life was no more than year or so I think but the seconds hand really did glide around the dial. I had a NOS one maybe ten years ago and had a quick peek under the bonnet - seem to recall something that didn't look like a traditional quartz movement.

This was quartz as opposed to tuning fork and it seems wasn't around for long.

Cheers

Ewan

Hi Bond,

I see Gladders has beat me to it (thanks Simon), essentially you need a tuning fork movement for smooth movement of the second hand. They really are super smooth with no visible stepping at all. I always thought my Girard Perregaux with 36,000 beats per hour (10 beat a second) was as smooth as you could get but it's agricultural compared to an esa 9162/4.

The odd thing is because it's so smooth I find myself looking twice as I think the second hand isn't moving, bizaar really.

Here's a few others in my small collection

Omega Seamaster Geneve

Tissot Tissonic

Omega Seamaster

Plus of course the Zenith Allegro that you've already seen.

Cheers,

Gary

And while looking at tuning forks don't forget Accutron.

Smooth as butter and the Hum is sweet. I must take a new pic of this watch someday.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

/Stefan
    The feature is called 'dead seconds'* (in French: seconde morte). Breguet used the expression seconde d?un coup or "sudden second".
    Cheers John.
    Isn't "True Beat" another reference to this type of movement as well?

/Stefan

There was this one on the 'bay, I don't think it sold.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

Hope this helps!

Mark

:lol:
    Sharky, I got it and it does indeed sweep. Really nice size too for an 8 inch wrist. Well chuffed with it !

Love the Record Hari/Ventura

What's the little crown on the back do ?

Dave
    :)

Good catch Hari :D

I was thinking about buying it ages ago which is why I still had it in my watched items.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks guys :)

Dunno what the crown does, I'm worried if I turn it the whole movement will fall out :lol:

[quote=S.L]
    Quote Originally Posted by "S.L":2lbseoaj

/Stefan
    Cheers John.

/Stefan[/quote:2lbseoaj]

I am not aware of that term either for watch or clock movements ... and neither is Google.

john

PS When buying old quartz make sure you can still get batteries for the module.
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Master

Re: Can anyone tell me....

Quote Originally Posted by bond

I had wondered this as I wanted a watch with sweeping second hand (rather than the tick-tocking) but without the use of an automatic or a winder.

Are there any offering this?

Do the Mondaine Railway watches incorporate this sweep in their collection of quartz watches?

Best regards
    Bond
    Bullova Accutron a lovely sweep on the second hand some pictures of my Birthday year watch

[quote=abraxas]
    Quote Originally Posted by "S.L":3elbqmwj

/Stefan
    Cheers John.

/Stefan
    I am not aware of that term either for watch or clock movements ... and neither is Google.

john[/quote:3elbqmwj]

THe vintage Rolex model 6556 (aka Tru-Beat) utilized a dead beat seconds movement:

http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php...o=130470&rid=0

P.S. John, I found this easily using Google. You may need to employ a more sophisticated searching strategy (removing default filters, using Boolean logic along with likely spelling alternatives to create more effective search strings, etc.)