closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Three things I loved about Venice

Master
    Blog Entries

Three things I loved about Venice

Just back from a short trip to Venice – 35 years after my last visit. As well as great weather and lovely food, three things I really enjoyed were…

1) All the watch shops – I didn’t realise what a mecca it is for watches (and other luxury goods). It was great looking at offerings from so many major brands. It was the first time I had seen the new Speedmaster MkII in the flesh and it was gorgeous

2) Our hotel (Gritti Palace) had a copy of Omega: A journey through time (http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-o...h-time/summary) for guests to browse. 832 pages of Omega history – far too much to digest on such a short trip, but what a great book.

3) The Naval Museum (http://www.marina.difesa.it/storiacu...e/default.aspx) – as well as providing a really interesting insight into Venice’s naval history, in its entrance was a ‘pig’ – an underwater assault vehicle which carried two frogmen who typically wore Panerai divers watches (see, for example, http://www.precious-watches.com/blog...Why%20PIG.html for more background). It was only after joining the forum did I start to ‘get’ Panerai watches and seeing this submarine really brought that aspect of their heritage home.

So all-in-all Venice was an unexpected delight on the watch front!

ATB

Jon

Cool

We pass through Venice most years when touring and the girlfriend and her daughter are in heaven with all the shops , not that we can afford to shop there as an unlimited overdraft would be required ......

However one thing always struck me as odd , every designer shop had Looky Looky Men outside selling perfect copies of everything you could ask for and the police took no notice ........

As for the watch shops I agree totally , when I win the lottery I'll fly there for a shopping weekend .

Craftsman
    I was there in February, and remember seeing a nice selection of vintage watches in a small shop nestled amongst the tat on the Rialto bridge. Can't remember the shops name unfortunately.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi James and Joppers

A lottery win would help tremendously - apart from food, drink and water buses, we only spent 25 Euros on a small glass souvenir! Outside the stores, handbags were the big counterfeit offer this Easter.

I missed the secondhand watches on the Rialto despite climbing it at least 6 times in three days - but the bridge was absolutely heaving. I know it was just after Easter, but didn’t think it would be as busy as it was. I wonder how much busier it can get in summer.

Cheers

Jon

Craftsman
    Hi Jon, we visited Venice 18 years ago - the I was af course watch-addicted - bud I didn't knew that at that time - lol !
    Didn't knew ther were so much watch shops.

We did buy a beautiful Murano glas art object - not something with a "Hong-Kong" look, but really fine made. Wasn't cheap.....
    But damn....I missed those watch-shops....

Hey...but maybe I can surprise my wife with a romantic trip to Venice ( not mentioning those watch shops - rotfl ! )

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi Marc

A romantic trip is a great idea - just practise acting surprised so you don't give the game away as one watch shop after another comes along!

There was some beautiful glass for sale - as you say, the best stuff doesn't come cheap. We saw some basic glass making on Murano, but I would love to see how they make the high end stuff - some serious skill needed

ATB

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    I was there in February, and remember seeing a nice selection of vintage watches in a small shop nestled amongst the tat on the Rialto bridge. Can't remember the shops name unfortunately.
    Was it this one:

...?

Gritti Palace looks great, must've costed at least a Rolex to stay there

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Was it this one:

...?
    Don't recall any vintage in there, lot's of Ingersoll & Franco Guitano etc.

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Don't recall any vintage in there, lot's of Ingersoll & Franco Guitano etc.
    Perhaps there's another shop on the bridge?

Frollo show some vintage pieces on their website (link) and they appear to have another shop in Venice.
    Last edited by PickleB; 27th April 2014 at 19:23. Reason: spelling!

Craftsman
    Was it this one:

...?
    Yep, that's the one. I remember stopping and seeing a few vintage twin-register chronographs in the window that caught my eye. There was definitely a silver dial Universal.

Craftsman
    I've also just returned from an excellent four day trip to Venice. First time I've been and was very impressed. Hotel Giorgione was excellent and I'd recommend it, located between Rialto bridge and Ca'd Ora water taxi stops. Rialto bridge was heaving, St Marks square and the surrounding area is beautiful and also had some very nice watch shops - Omega, PP, Rolex, Panerai, etc. We didn't have a bad meal, or poor cup of coffee while we were there.

Master
    Love Venice went there in '09 which is where I proposed to my wife on the Rialto bridge, the other side to the watch shop.

I remember walking around there with my mouth open at all the nice watch and high end good's shops, when not getting lost down what appeared to be a street that would allow us to cut back to the another part.

My wife and I went to Venice for the first time at the end of March this year for our honeymoon and we loved it.
    We did all the tourist things like gondola ride, water taxi from the airport to the hotel, took in the sites and bought some murano glass.
    We found a gelato shop that makes their own at the back of the shop and sells it on the counter ( we had several while we were there), we had some lovely meals as our hotel advised us where to go and booked us a table at several fantastic small and off the beatern track restaurants.

Our hotel was also fantastic, I was recommended the hotel Al Ponite Antico by a friend, it is quite small with only 9 rooms, but we had a great personal service from them, every member of staff greater us by name when ever they saw us, nothing was too much trouble for them (I do feel odd having people running around after me as I am much more used to premier inn kind of service) but its location next to the Rialto Bridge is superb and easy to find again once you have got lost in the maze of streets in Venice.
    The hotel also has a terrace that we would sit on and have breakfast while watching the world go by, or up and down the canal....
    It was also a great spot to see the sun go down with a glass or two of prosecco before going out for dinner and the hotel is also three buildings up from the building that sinks in Cassino Royal :-)

We had a look around the many watch/ hand bag / glass shops but we didn't buy much as we didn't take nearly enough spending money with us for that.

I would love to return there some day, I just need to let the bank account recover from the first time though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad to see this thread has bought back happy memories for others - and not just on the watch front. I wish I was back there already!

ATB

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I'm glad to see this thread has bought back happy memories for others - and not just on the watch front. I wish I was back there already!

ATB

Jon
    Next time...perhaps Verona, Bologna...?

Blog Entries
    Wifey is 50 this year hence our recent trip to Bali and Singapore and I have just twigged the only one at home is off for a week at the scout camp which is the week of her birthday. Soooooo I have been thinking I ought to get her away for a couple of days and I am considering Rome.

Should I be giving Venice a serious thought. Reading this I think ought.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Wifey is 50 this year hence our recent trip to Bali and Singapore and I have just twigged the only one at home is off for a week at the scout camp which is the week of her birthday. Soooooo I have been thinking I ought to get her away for a couple of days and I am considering Rome.

Should I be giving Venice a serious thought. Reading this I think ought.

Paul
    i was just going to post that you should ask Clarky, then I saw he had posted above.
    the hotel he mentioned is fantastic, views over the Rialto bridge, luxurious rooms and the most Venetian host since Franceso Di Mosto :-)
    If your wife wants to be assured of the best shopping or wants to see the true Venice then I can recommend a great guide too!!

I do some work in Trieste every now and then, and usually fly in and out of Venice. I never stop for an extra day. But this thread inspired me to do just that. So... I'm going to Trieste next Friday and have planned to spend the weekend in Venice. Thanks for the inspiration! I will definitely stop by that watch shop too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    ...I am considering Rome.

Should I be giving Venice a serious thought. Reading this I think ought...
    Have you been to Rome before? There's an awful lot to see and you might want more than a weekend...two trips, maybe? But as both Rome & Venice are great tourist magnets (depending upon when you're going) how about Verona:

It depends upon what you and your missus will enjoy most; doing the sites, shopping opportunities, the arts etc. There's good food whichever location you choose. Do a little research and tailor your weekend. Enjoy...

Blog Entries
    Have you been to Rome before? There's an awful lot to see and you might want more than a weekend...two trips, maybe? But as both Rome & Venice are great tourist magnets (depending upon when you're going) how about Verona:

It depends upon what you and your missus will enjoy most; doing the sites, shopping opportunities, the arts etc. There's good food whichever location you choose. Do a little research and tailor your weekend. Enjoy...
    Worth a thought and many thanks for this buddy

Ta

I cant comment on Venice having never been, but the missus and me, have just returned from 4 nights in Rome. Having been a little sceptical at first, I can fully recommend.

Rome has all the historical sites that every one knows (good enought reason in its own right to visit tbh), but also offers similar shopping experiences to the ones described here for Venice. If anyone is considering a serious watch purchase...Rolex Daytona 6262/3 (Paul Newman? 3+ in stock), All new Rolex Models (seemingly with discount off list), PP, Omega new and old, IWC, Panerai, JLC and loads more...our B&B was next door to just the place so I would be happy to provide details.

Having not been expecting this, I came away empty handed and had no funds to splash out...I did spend a good few minutes every day gazing through the window though

Blog Entries
    Well all sorted today for Mrs P's 50th.

Treating wifey with flights via BA Club Europe with looks a bit swish.

Room with canal view booked at Al Ponite Antico. Cheers Clarky.

Would be good to hear of your guide suggestion Rob.

Restaurants - Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks Jon your post inspired.

Paul

Just back from a trip there earlier in the week. I looked at that hotel you're staying in Paul and it looks good - we ended up at the Gritti Palace.

My tips would be as follows;

*Once at the airport get the Ailiguna boat service into Venice - 25 Euro's return each if you pre-buy ahead.

*Take your very best/most comfortable trainers/walking shoes.......you will need them!

*Do a Gondola ride but a) haggle and b) maybe share with another couple, otherwise it's a rip off at 80 Euro's for half an hour IMO

*Best restaurant by a huge margin was here;

http://www.ristorantesangiorgio.it/sito/

*Watch out for the HUGE amount of far East tourists.......everywhere!!!

*Don't eat or drink anywhere near St Marks square...need to get away from the main area to find the best places and without rip offs being tried.

*Check out the brilliant watch shops - AP Boutique was the best IMO

*Look out for very over priced places/restaurants/bars etc as some will try to fleece you

Enjoy!!

Apprentice
    if you need a break from the crowds there is a very good hotel on the lido the austria hungaria i think, that has a very good steak that you can cook yourself at your table if you wish . you may need a change from pasta pitza and fish, also the best the icecream i venice is on that street. magic place venice

Best ice cream in Venice is Grom, several sites, one is on Strada Nova, there's also one in NYC !!

Quote Originally Posted by johal View Post
    if you need a break from the crowds there is a very good hotel on the lido the austria hungaria i think, that has a very good steak that you can cook yourself at your table if you wish . you may need a change from pasta pitza and fish, also the best the icecream i venice is on that street. magic place venice
    Second that Hotel stayed there a few years ago with the family good if you want to be on Lido, short walk to beach and Vapperatos to Venice. Good call on the ice cream, a small family run concern if I remember right.
    Love Venice been many times. Jewish quarter is worth a visit. In the evening lots of people meet around the bars/restaurants that were the original Banks in the square over the Rialto bridge and before the market areas.

Couple of good restaurants that won't break the bank.
    http://veciofritolin.it/en/

http://www.ristoranteallamadonna.com for the Spider crab

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Hi James and Joppers

A lottery win would help tremendously - apart from food, drink and water buses, we only spent 25 Euros on a small glass souvenir! Outside the stores, handbags were the big counterfeit offer this Easter.

I missed the secondhand watches on the Rialto despite climbing it at least 6 times in three days - but the bridge was absolutely heaving. I know it was just after Easter, but didn’t think it would be as busy as it was. I wonder how much busier it can get in summer.

Cheers

Jon
    Jon, in answer to your last question the Rialto gets VERY busy in summer and the last time I was the it was also fantastically hot as well.

Blog Entries
    Many thanks chaps for all you thoughts and recommendations and certainly some useful info and grub places to try.

Paul