closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CLEAR YOU INBOX POSTS!

CLEAR YOU INBOX POSTS!

Why so many? There's the facility to e-mail members through the forum, why not use that?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Im guessing this is a response to this post?
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ur-inbox-buddy
    In any case i just trashed all old messages.
    have a good day everyone!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Why so many? There's the facility to e-mail members through the forum, why not use that?

Eddie

Unless i'm missing something? often when i've clicked on a members profile there is no option to email directly given. I did actually do that last week though but the member never got the email anyway, he said?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Unless i'm missing something? often when i've clicked on a members profile there is no option to email directly given. I did actually do that last week though but the member never got the email anyway, he said?
    I have tried emailing people a few times but some people dont check there emails as quick as pms

Banned
    Eddie, your suggestion would require a little thought and effort.

Not a hope.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not being a pedant at all, but this was my point.

Master
    Must be a setting as I can send email, well the options there???
    Cant send email to Burnsey66 is it something you have to opt in or out on setting account up or something that can be done in the dashboard maybe.
    Last edited by fordystar; 25th April 2014 at 10:43.

Had to e-mail someone last night this was the reply (finally)

'Hi

I have just cleared my inbox. Strange it was listed as full - I only had 6 messages in it... '

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge597 View Post
    Had to e-mail someone last night this was the reply (finally)

'Hi

I have just cleared my inbox. Strange it was listed as full - I only had 6 messages in it... '
    But, no doubt, there are other messages in other folders. Sigh...

It's us lazy, thoughtless folk using Apps that are probably to blame!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    Cant send email to Burnsey66 is it something you have to opt in or out on setting account up or something that can be done in the dashboard maybe.
    This was my point, not everyone has initiated or whatever, email to their profiles, in which case they obviously can't be emailed. If their inbox is also full a public message is the only way i imagine. That doesn't excuse tardy housekeeping of the PM facility boxes though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    This was my point, not everyone has initiated or whatever, email to their profiles, in which case they obviously can't be emailed. If their inbox is also full a public message is the only way i imagine. That doesn't excuse tardy housekeeping of the PM facility boxes though.
    Agreed, just deleted all my inbox and sent items.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    User controlled – go to Settings, then General Settings, and select the option to allow members to contact you via email.
    The problem might be solved if the forum had a greater number of messages to be stored, but don't know if that involves just extra hard drive space or an upgrade in the forum software licence for Eddie.

Craftsman
    Eddie's gone all Arnie in the thread title - should have gone the whole hog: clear you inbox posts or you'll be dead tired (or something)...

Just cleared out mine, was surprised that it only has a 50 message total limit including both sent and received messages. I use Tapatalk most of the time and couldn't even tell it was filling up, plus I'm not sure Tapatalk even has an option to delete messages from within the app, unfortunately.

Eddie, I'm not one to complain about a free service that already offers tons of value to its users, but I'm sure a lot of us would contribute into a fundraiser of some kind to get a basic messaging upgrade to an inbox with, say, a 2MB capacity, which would massively increase the inbox limit. Judging by the number of "clear your inbox" posts, I think it would declutter the forum and help foster better communication between users here.

Happy to make the first donation :)

Quote Originally Posted by jayleb View Post
    Just cleared out mine, was surprised that it only has a 50 message total limit including both sent and received messages. I use Tapatalk most of the time and couldn't even tell it was filling up, plus I'm not sure Tapatalk even has an option to delete messages from within the app, unfortunately.

Eddie, I'm not one to complain about a free service that already offers tons of value to its users, but I'm sure a lot of us would contribute into a fundraiser of some kind to get a basic messaging upgrade to an inbox with, say, a 2MB capacity, which would massively increase the inbox limit. Judging by the number of "clear your inbox" posts, I think it would declutter the forum and help foster better communication between users here.

Happy to make the first donation :)
    Its just basic housekeeping,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

It doesn't matter what the limit is, inboxes would still be full.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I tend to think of messaging not on a per message basis, but on a per conversation basis. For each private conversation initiated around a topic (e.g Sales Corner post, or just a general private discussion) there will be a back and forth of around 5 messages or so, sometimes more. Based on that (estimated) figure, this gives room for 10 or so conversations, not counting messages that people might want to keep as a reference point to look back to in the future. I personally don't use the messaging features very frequently so its not a big deal to me personally, but it does remind me of the old days when SMS messages were stored on the SIM card itself and had to be manually managed on a daily or weekly basis.

Over time, users have gotten used to limitless webmail, lengthier conversation-based messaging via Whatsapp, Facebook, and even SMS in all aspects of their digital lives. Given a limit of 50 messages in total (both sent and received) this is bound to result in either full inboxes or regular micromanagement and decision making on the part of users (e.g do I need to keep this message or delete it, do I need to check my inbox limit or am I safe, etc..) both of which will require a significant change in ingrained habits and distract users from doing what adds the most value to the community here: talking.

Just my 2p
    Last edited by jayleb; 25th April 2014 at 14:43.

I tend to think of messaging not on a per message basis, but on a per conversation basis. For each private conversation initiated around a topic (e.g Sales Corner post, or just a general private discussion) there will be a back and forth of around 5 messages or so, sometimes more. Based on that (estimated) figure, this gives room for 10 or so conversations, not counting messages that people might want to keep as a reference point to look back to in the future. I personally don't use the messaging features very frequently so its not a big deal to me personally, but it does remind me of the old days when SMS messages were stored on the SIM card itself and had to be manually managed on a daily or weekly basis.

Over time, users have gotten used to limitless webmail, lengthier conversation-based messaging via Whatsapp, Facebook, and even SMS in all aspects of their digital lives. Given a limit of 50 messages in total (both sent and received) this is bound to result in either full inboxes or regular micromanagement and decision making on the part of users (e.g do I need to keep this message or delete it, do I need to check my inbox limit or am I safe, etc..) both of which will require a significant change in ingrained habits and distract users from doing what adds the most value to the community here: talking.

Just my 2p
    where you get the 50 messages limit from? I have 67 total messages?

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    Hmm, thats strange. This is a screengrab from the bottom of my messages page.

The "20 messages stored of a total 50 allowed" is the same whether I'm browsing my inbox or sent items.

I've increased it to 250 but don't forget, this also includes sent messages as well.

Eddie

I've increased it to 250 but don't forget, this also includes sent messages as well.

Eddie

Hmm, thats strange. This is a screengrab from the bottom of my messages page.

The "20 messages stored of a total 50 allowed" is the same whether I'm browsing my inbox or sent items.

were you around for the last site upgrade? maybe that has something to do with it, as some of those messages were transferred over so may not be counted in the 50 allowed?

anyway, cheers Eddies for the increase but god help the next person with a full inbox ;-)

Master

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    I had a limit of 100 but is now 250 - thanks Eddie!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I had a limit of 100 but is now 250 - thanks Eddie!

that must be it then, mine must have been 100 as well.

I have now reduced my 67 to 19, just to be safe.