closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your take on Bremont?

What's your take on Bremont?

Hey all

Have had my thoughts set on a Rolex DJ for a while but have also been looking around and after reading an article in one of my watch magazines a few months back about Bremont, they caught my eye. I'm looking at a White Solo (SOLO/WH-SI) http://www.bremont.com/chronometers/range/solo) and wondered what the wise WIS folk of TZ thought about them.

From looking into the brand, I like the fact they are an English make, and they seem to be more durable than most (Hardened stainless steel Bremont Trip-Tick® to over 2000 vickers). They look lovely too, being the sort of thing I'd usually go for; simple, all-rounder type watch but also elegant.

The movement looks nice through the case back but it's a modified ETA from what I understand? It's listed as modified Modified calibre 13 1/4" BE-36AE but I take it this is an ETA movement modified by Bremont?

I realise they are probably not up there with Rolex, but what do people think?

Cheers

Craftsman
    I'm currently building funds to buy a World Timer. I'm far from a wise WIS, but my thoughts are:

1. Very well made - they look and feel like a quality piece
    2. Possibly a bit expensive for a modified ETA, but reasonable discounts can be had without too much effort
    3. Customer service appears to be a priority for them - there are many stories of repairs turned around in days, straps being replaced etc.

As a brand they seem to divide opinion on here, but then everyone is entitled to an opinion. Mine is that they make good watches, and whilst the various tie-ins are mostly marketing guff they do provide interesting facts to bore your friends with.

Master
    I'm afraid they all look really boring to me, and nothing about them seems to say "special". I don't think the logo helps in that regard either.

There are lots of ETA based choices out there that I think give better value for money.

Craftsman
    Bought a U2 last year of this site and dont think Ive had it off for more than a couple of hours since. They are a fantastic wacth tough a sold boots too. I would advise perhaps buying used though.

Grand Master
    Not optimised for sale in the United Kingdom, is the one most credible opinion I've heard ;). The British thing does go down very well in many other places though. I wonder how many of their sales are exports - it must be over 75% I would have thought.

Very well put together and interesting case construction, but the rounded lug horns don't match the (slightly generic looking) bracelet to my eyes.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    I know this doesn't make much sense but;

I actually really like the look of some of the models...but don't really want to own one.

I.e. if I had funds available, there are other watches I'd want to get first....

Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    I know this doesn't make much sense but;

I actually really like the look of some of the models...but don't really want to own one.

I.e. if I had funds available, there are other watches I'd want to get first....
    + 1, I agree totally. Looked at the whole range and thought, yep, blue U2 would be nice......but then the feeling subsided and concluded there are many other watches that would take priority! They just don't seem 'special enough', imho.

I think they're assembled in Henley now, which makes them a bit more interesting I suppose. But as an earlier poster said, the numerous brand tie-ins are a bit tiresome.

A little bit 'marketing over substance' would be my view. Mind you, I'm certain some here would say the same about the brand beginning with R...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Not optimised for sale in the United Kingdom, is the one most credible opinion I've heard ;). The British thing does go down very well in many other places though.
    This is what it is for me. I've no doubts that they make good pieces, but if I had the money to spend right now, Bremont just wouldn't feature, it isn't desirable enough as a British brand; they aren't to the watch world what Aston Martin is to the sports car market.

Master
    Not optimised for sale in the United Kingdom, is the one most credible opinion I've heard ;). The British thing does go down very well in many other places though. I wonder how many of their sales are exports - it must be over 75% I would have thought.

Very well put together and interesting case construction, but the rounded lug horns don't match the (slightly generic looking) bracelet to my eyes.
    They seem to be popular (and getting more so) on the USA based forums, though I don't care for them enough to pay the price. That's really what it comes down to for me - do I want to pay top dollar for a nice watch with some fighter pilot/Boeing co-branding nonsense? Not when there are similarly nice watches available for less, without the nonsense. I wish them luck though, they're at least doing something different.

I like them...

They are a young brand and from what I've seen they are doing everything right. Not everyone's cup of tea but what brand is? Customer service is excellent and the quality is up there with any other brand I've seen in the price bracket. If you like the watch buy one, if not don't. I wouldn't worry much about the value argument as this is very subjective.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Customer service is excellent
    ...which is quite important, as the recent threads about Omega and Richemont would attest. All that ancient branding is no good if you get milked like a cow when there's a problem! Bremont's watches are all too big for me (minimum 43mm) but I'd buy one over anything from the Big O or IWC/JLC.

Interesting thoughts. I haven't actually seen one in the flesh, but some photos I've seen, the dial looked quite crisp. Suppose I'm not that adventurous when it comes to my taste in watches though, but can see how people think they lack a bit of wow factor.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I like them...

They are a young brand and from what I've seen they are doing everything right. Not everyone's cup of tea but what brand is? Customer service is excellent and the quality is up there with any other brand I've seen in the price bracket. If you like the watch buy one, if not don't. I wouldn't worry much about the value argument as this is very subjective.
    Nice watch and anything but boring.

I think they make some beautiful watches (would kill for a Boeing 247), but I just can't take them seriously. The faux aviation heritage thing is just so over done that I can't help but think of it as a tacky theme brand. Such a shame, because considering the watches themselves on their own merits, they should be up there with my very favourite brands. My loss (and theirs, I guess), but I can't separate the two.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    I think they make some beautiful watches (would kill for a Boeing 247), but I just can't take them seriously. The faux aviation heritage thing is just so over done that I can't help but think of it as a tacky theme brand. Such a shame, because considering the watches themselves on their own merits, they should be up there with my very favourite brands. My loss (and theirs, I guess), but I can't separate the two.
    The Codebreaker watch made with "real genuine code breaking paper" was a bit much for me. Also, the watches for guys who crash their planes... seems like an odd choice.

I wouldn`t consider one, they seem a bit `designer`, and styled for styles sake. Less is more.

Half their range seem to be `limited editions` which nearly always means another word for `naff marketing gimmick`.

The styling cues with aviation themes such as the propeller in the caseback is tacky - watches should be watches, not have other, unrelated themes going on..

Just another brand - of which there are hundreds - with an ETA asking serious £?

Nope, not for me, for the £ there`s a lot of other more worthy choices.
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 24th April 2014 at 17:07.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    The Codebreaker watch made with "real genuine code breaking paper" was a bit much for me. Also, the watches for guys who crash their planes... seems like an odd choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I wouldn`t consider one, they seem a bit `designer`, and styled for styles sake. Less is more.

Half their range seem to be `limited editions` which nearly always means another word for `naff marketing gimmick`.

The styling cues with aviation themes such as the propeller in the caseback is tacky - watches should be watches, not have other, unrelated themes going on..

Just another brand - of which there are hundreds - with an ETA asking serious £?

I agree with both these sets of observations. BUT I'd still like a Supermarine 500 in due course and the new GMT Supermarine looks very nice indeed.

When a suitable second hand SM500 or a suitable discount coincides with me having the funds available, then one will be mine.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 24th April 2014 at 17:44.

Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    Interesting thoughts. I haven't actually seen one in the flesh, but some photos I've seen, the dial looked quite crisp. Suppose I'm not that adventurous when it comes to my taste in watches though, but can see how people think they lack a bit of wow factor.
    Seen and handled and yes they are good looking and well made. BUT lacking in the WOW factor as you say. If you have a link to the heritage they place in their watches i.e. Bletchley, U2, Mustang, Martin Baker et all then maybe. otherwise they seem an expensive tool watch.

good but not for me

If you like it and think is worth the money buy one but keep an eye out for a used one. A white Solo was traded recently in SC so you never know, it may just reappear...

Quality wise, I've not much to compare my MBII to other than my Sinn and honestly I wouldn't say the Bremont is in a completely different league but it is nicely finished, I particularly like the case design and it feels like a less generic product then the Sinn (of which I'm a huge fan). I know nothing about movements so am talking general look and feel not what's inside. I'd say it was, to my mind, worth the price I paid second hand (about 2/3 retail) but I can understand why some would struggle to buy at retail price given other options.

The whole brand debate is a bit of a non issue for me. No new company has brand heritage, Bremont are just trying to carve out an identity, albeit by partnering with other brands. That either bothers you or it doesn't. The whole concept of brand is so divorced from reality these days anyway that anyone buying on brand value alone probably is going to struggle with Bremont. Most established brands jack their prices up on a regular basis without a commensurate increase in the value of the product they offer so are just as guilty of brand smoke and mirrors as new brands trying to establish themselves. Or to summarise, it's all bollocks in my view regardless of who's doing it so I try and look past it.

On the service side, I've had only a few communications with them directly but they have always been responsive, helpful and attentive in their approach and it felt like personal service which I liked.

My feelings are mixed on the Bremont brand. I like a few models and I have owned one. My only concern is their cases. Bremont treat their cases with a case hardening process that makes them seven times harder than normal stainless steel, as used by their competitors'. Personally, that puts me off them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    My feelings are mixed on the Bremont brand. I like a few models and I have owned one. My only concern is their cases. Bremont treat their cases with a case hardening process that makes them seven times harder than normal stainless steel, as used by their competitors'. Personally, that puts me off them.
    Why would having less scratch-prone cases turn you off the brand? It's one of their best features in my opinion.

I like the build quality but not the designs. I also find it a little strange it's very much a British brand with a French farmer's name. They should have called it MacDonald. I suppose that's what happens when you have no choice in where your plane crash lands.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Why would having less scratch-prone cases turn you off the brand? It's one of their best features in my opinion.
    They still mark up but try refinishing one.

I like the MB2, but their watches are too expensive, when compared to something like Omega

They need better dial work for the money. I looked at the Alt-Z and MB2, and I couldn't escape the feeling about the dials. Breitling aren't my cup if tea, but their dial work is far better than Bremont at similar money

David

This is mine

I bought used.
    I have been familiar with Bremont through a personal connection from before they were launched, and now one of my better mates on the forum assembles watches for them as well.
    And although this may be something that you would think influences my views, I can assure you it has nothing to do with the fact that there are very few better-made watches for the money on the market today. ETA or not.
    The tie-ins can be a bit meh, I think sometimes they over-use them to leverage "heritage".
    But imho the above is an elegantly simple and classicly-designed chronograph, with no tie-ins at all. It isn't radical, but that's not my taste.
    And it does get worn for everything, with no problems at all.

So I like what they do, but I also appreciate that not everyone will.

Dave

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I like the MB2, but their watches are too expensive, when compared to something like Omega

They need better dial work for the money. I looked at the Alt-Z and MB2, and I couldn't escape the feeling about the dials. Breitling aren't my cup if tea, but their dial work is far better than Bremont at similar money

David
    That's the thing about Bremont. When they launched into the market they priced themselves against brands like Omega, Breitling and now its seems Rolex. Yet those three brands all have heritage and provenance, ie Omega official Olympic timekeepers, Rolex, F1 timekeepers, Breitling with its Aerospace heritage.

I know brands have to start somewhere, but you have to have something different to jump into the fray and they didn't bring it. And people bought into the brand, fell for the "Britishness". I suppose they chose that price point to try and have a slice of that very lucrative part of the market, but from their stuff i've seen in the flesh and what David says about their dials, IMHO they are not quite on a par in terms of quality.

I popped into the bremont boutique in the royal exchange today to have a look at the watches in the flesh. I wasn't blown away by most of the range, but the supermarine is just gorgeous, really solidly made too and loads of great texture going on on the dial.

Staff in there seemed pretty knowledgeable about the watches and we had a good chat about them too. They do seem a tad overpriced for what you get, but for a 500m diver that has a reasonably unique look to them is a nice touch. I picked up a beefy free catalog from them too, and got offered a coffee despite not being there to actually buy anything. That's some good customer service as far as I'm concerned and would make me go there to actually buy one should I ever decide to. (in contrast, I went into WF&Co next door and was just ignored the whole time I was there).

It seems the heritage and provenance of the established brands is now used for cynical increases in price (it being the only indicator of quality of course) without any particular changes to the product itself. Somehow that seems to be overlooked in these debates about relative value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by DandyHighwayMan View Post
    That's the thing about Bremont. When they launched into the market they priced themselves against brands like Omega, Breitling and now its seems Rolex. Yet those three brands all have heritage and provenance, ie Omega official Olympic timekeepers, Rolex, F1 timekeepers, Breitling with its Aerospace heritage.

I know brands have to start somewhere, but you have to have something different to jump into the fray and they didn't bring it. And people bought into the brand, fell for the "Britishness". I suppose they chose that price point to try and have a slice of that very lucrative part of the market, but from their stuff i've seen in the flesh and what David says about their dials, IMHO they are not quite on a par in terms of quality.
    Have to disagree with you there but that's the point, it's subjective. I like the brand stuff and of course they're going to position themselves against the likes of Omega, who in turn are positioning themselves against Rolex. They are enthusiastic and engaged and Nick and Giles make a real effort to get out there and meet their customers. Can't fault the work they're putting in.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to any owners, but for me the fall into the category of background noise, not even slightly interesting.
    I am sure they are reasonably well built, but that just isn't enough.

Blog Entries
    I really like the brand

PS...their customer service is truly excellant

It is nice to see a British company doing so well, and by all accounts customer service is very good indeed.

Some designs are good (MB and ALT-Z/P), and some are a bit meh. Putting fragments of old stuff in watches is a gimmick, and they do seem to be pimping themselves out for military editions a la Breitling.

For me it comes down to value, and the likes of Omega and Rolex are useful points of reference.

The MB2 costs £500 more than a Seamaster 300, and that is an Omega, an icon, has a better movement, a bracelet, ceramic etc. The Supermarine 500 is very uncomfortably priced compared to the Omega models either side of it, although I admit it has the one dial that matches its price.

Decent watches, but too expensive for what they are.

David

Banned
    I think they are great, I love their whole story, and being a British company too, true they have some questionable rationale, like the codebraker made with parts from old coding machines and actual wood from the HMS victory in the Victory watch etc, doesn't do it for me at all but other than that, i love the rest of their range.

Unfortunately there's a few watches in the price bracket i would buy over them, and im not loaded!

Master
    I really like them - especially the Supermarine. However, (unfortunately) like so many watches I struggle to justify spending that amount on them - but I guess its nice to have something to aspire to.... ;-)

Grand Master

Omega and Rolex bought their way into that provenance with cash money - possibly Breitling too, it's less obvious. No different to what Bremont is doing, with a tiny fraction of those giants' resources of course.

About the one thing that Bremont brought to the market is where they're from, ie not Switzerland or even Germany. But per the above that has no traction "at home" because that characteristic is worth almost nothing so it's no surprise that it goes unnoticed!

Apprentice
    I own a Bremont and have no complaints, have experienced the excellent customer services and would buy another Bremont in the future.

As said previously, price is very much relative and you can have an opinion on limited editions and what not but if it suits your taste then brilliant.

Thoroughly recommended.

Journeyman
    I'm onto my third Bremont (U2, White Solo and Supermarine) and think they are great watches. Really well made, good designs and something different to many of the mainstream brands out there. There's some negativity about the brand but I think they've done a great job in a highly competitive market. The customer service is exceptional and that helps set them apart plus the owners are so passionate about the brand and are really driving the business forward. I agree that some of the LEs are overpriced and a bit gimmicky but the the new Boeing models show that the brand is heading in the right direction plus it won't be long before they bring out their own in-house movement, made in Britain. Personally, I find this really encouraging and exciting for British watch making.

If you get the chance, pay one of the boutiques a visit...you won't be disappointed.

The White Solo is a good choice by the way and really flexible in terms of strap choice.

I like a few of their designs, but am a particular fan of the Blue U2. I have now tried this watch on at a couple of dealers, and neither were interested in offering a discount, which I was a little surprised about, especially when one said they would do a deal on Omega, for example, but not Bremont! Luckily a member of another forum sent me the details of a company that should - when I can get there.

But the point of this post is the stance of 2-dealers not feeling it's in their interest to do a deal, presumably to protect the brand?

Master
    I'd like a red MB, but not enough to get ejected from a plane for one :lol:

Master
    Some very nice designs, extremely well built and I even bought one, a SM500 when they were 50% off, but nice as it was I sold it on and have never regretted it. As someone mentioned previously, I like them but not enough to buy (another) one.

Blog Entries
    but from their stuff i've seen in the flesh and what David says about their dials, IMHO they are not quite on a par in terms of quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    The Supermarine 500 is very uncomfortably priced compared to the Omega models either side of it, although I admit it has the one dial that matches its price.
    I've not handled any Bremonts but I am surprised by these references to their dials. From pictures, they din't seem much different to other luxury watches in their price range.

What would you say is lacking in the dials?

Blog Entries
    About the one thing that Bremont brought to the market is where they're from, ie not Switzerland or even Germany. But per the above that has no traction "at home" because that characteristic is worth almost nothing so it's no surprise that it goes unnoticed!
    It is sad that we Brits do not seem more willing to support the home team. On the one hand we expect a lot from British businesses (which is probably a good thing) but it would be nice if we could more readily support those who do deliver what we expect them to (and surely Bremont and Christopher Ward and Timefactors are doing this rather well in their various niches!).

Journeyman
    Well I for one have been bitten by the Bremont bug. I was in Beaverbrooks in the Meadowhall Centre last week and tried a few on. Cue shaky iPhone pictures;

These were the pick of the bunch for me. As I don't currently have a high end Diver in my collection I think I'll probably end up with the Supermarine. It just reeked quality. Very solidly built, a really nice weight and a bit different from the mainstream. I am also attracted to the idea that you don't see many of them around.

My only experience of customer service was excellent. I phoned them up asking for a copy of the new brochure, not in stores at the moment, was advised that it might be some time before they are available, 2 days later received one with a hand written note from the nice lady I had previously spoken to.

I do however think that their straps are WAY overpriced, won't stop me getting a couple though :)

Banned
    There's only a couple of watches that they make that I would wear. I get the feeling that they could be the next Bell & Ross, by that I mean at their current price point watches will sit in the AD's windows until the 50% clearance sale.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post

Euhmmmmm... good points but less so when your avatar shows a Panerai logo.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Omega and Rolex bought their way into that provenance with cash money -
    Still do. BÍG time GÍG moeny too. Seen any F1 on tele recently.
    I stopped the frame at one race and counted over one hundred times ROLEX on screen.
    This while the pre modern tech Rolex uses in their watches has NOTHING in common with the time keeping, ´official time keepers´ or not.

So Bremont goes on the air theme. I take my hat off for the success they have.
    So what if die hard traditionalist watch lovers don´t like it?
    They can buy an Omepanro and think it better because of ´heritage´ which is older the same. Not thát much older in the case of Panerai but that is splitting hairs.

Craftsman

Love 'em...

Nick and Gilles are great, Mike Pearson (their US brand manager) is great, I truly love the trademark sculpted lugs of their Trip-Tick cases, their movement finishing takes ETA to the next level, and yes, I even love their "gimmick" watches, all of which have been executed with genuine respect and reverence for their respective subjects.

Do I own one? Nope, but all that is set to change just as soon as I get my hands on a Terra Nova. I can't wait.

The Terra Nova:

With its brothers:

Regards,
    Adam

Master
    The odd one or two nice features/executions, but in general, I don't find them all that interesting.
    Last edited by PJ S; 25th April 2014 at 11:22.

Master
    As much as I fall for branding and faux history. Dial designs don't speak to me. And that's the end of it for me I'm afraid.