closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Diamonds from ashes..... Update!!

Diamonds from ashes..... Update!!

For my lovely lady's 30th I am getting her loving dogs ashes made into a diamond as a surprise.

I've spoken to a uk based company who have been fantastic so far.

I'm happy with the price and service so far but has anyone had this done?

Any thoughts on this are welcome also. Right or wrong I'm happy to hear them ;)
    Last edited by alexaff; 6th June 2014 at 17:40.

I don't think there is a right or wrong, as long as this is ok with your good lady.
    I have heard of this before, and it won't be a route that we will go down when our beautiful pooches pass on.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I don't think there is a right or wrong, as long as this is ok with your good lady.
    I have heard of this before, and it won't be a route that we will go down when our beautiful pooches pass on.

Thanks andrew :)

May I ask why you wouldn't do it?

I should add at this stage that Leanne has spoken to me about this and is something she wants!!

Master
    I'm not sure that a woman can accept wearing their former beloved pet on a ring, necklace or otherwise. They may feel creeped out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    I'm not sure that a woman can accept wearing their former beloved pet on a ring, necklace or otherwise. They may feel creeped out about it.
    No no!!

She has said she would love it!!

It's not off the cuff. It's something she wants mate.

His ashes are currently next to her bed . Maybe that's creepy to some but not to her, or me .

It is good to hear that you have your good lady's approval

It is hard to express my personal opinion on this, but it is basically that we love our animals for what they are. Once they pass, I wouldn't want them turned into a beautiful stone. I would want to remember them for all the wonderful times that we shared, but understand that their time has sadly passed.
    I am sure the process for turning them into something else is rather extreme, and far from natural.
    For us our lovely pooches are our family, and I cannot see myself doing this to my parents ashes either (perhaps others will/have?)

As with most things in life, I say do what feels right for you. If this works, then go for it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    No no!!

She has said she would love it!!

It's not off the cuff. It's something she wants mate.

His ashes are currently next to her bed . Maybe that's creepy to some but not to her, or me .
    If it's something she wants than go for it. I think it's a novel idea to remember a cherished pet by but not everyone will agree. Sorry about your friend BTW it's always hard to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    It is good to hear that you have your good lady's approval

It is hard to express my personal opinion on this, but it is basically that we love our animals for what they are. Once they pass, I wouldn't want them turned into a beautiful stone. I would want to remember them for all the wonderful times that we shared, but understand that their time has sadly passed.
    I am sure the process for turning them into something else is rather extreme, and far from natural.
    For us our lovely pooches are our family, and I cannot see myself doing this to my parents ashes either (perhaps others will/have?)

As with most things in life, I say do what feels right for you. If this works, then go for it.
    Thanks mate, I'm fully aware it's not to everyone's taste but neither is keeping ashes.

It's good to hear another view and your probably in the majority and I totally get that but she wants to keep a bit of him
    Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    If it's something she wants than go for it. I think it's a novel idea to remember a cherished pet by but not everyone will agree. Sorry about your friend BTW it's always hard to move on.
    Thanks for your condolences ;)

I agree it's not everyone's cuppa.

It's got to be better than the diamond coming from a slave mine in Africa...(or however they are extracted there days!)

Banned
    Wished I would have known this 2 years ago, I would have had our Sally Staffordshire Bull's ashes made into one and set into the dial of my blue sub at 12.

Mind you Sally is buried in our back garden.

Go for it, sounds a great idea.

Just asked my wife about this - our spaniel is ageing but still in reasonably good health, although a period of illness a year ago made us think his time might be up. My wife was positive about it - thought it was a sweet thing - said she liked the idea of having a diamond around her neck which reminded her of him when he does die.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I Think it's a great idea Alex!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seeing as she wants it, and you've found someone who can do it, why are you even asking, just get it done!

Happy wife = happy life!

+1 from me.

Never heard of this before, but it seems a really nice way of remembrance and also a practical ‘use’ for ashes.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for the loss of your dog.

The wonderful thing about my dog is that she is a beautiful sentient creature full of life, and one of my best friends.
    The wonderful thing about a diamond is that it is an individual thing of great beauty produced naturally over time by the earth.
    A man made diamond produced in a Lab from the ashes of my dog is neither. It is an artificial diamond made from my dogs ashes.

Not for me. It would not be my dog, nor would it be a diamond worth having. But we are all different.

My Wife and I are thinking about doing this when our two dogs are gone, so I say go for it. Do you have a link to the company that does the work?

Master
    Apologies if this comes across a little Crass, but how much are we talking?
    I don't see any issues with it otherwise.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    its all fun and games, until it shits on your finger

Seems a bit creepy to me. Would you do it for your Granny, a child?

I'm rather suspicious about the process too. How much of the diamond will actually come from the dog - hopefully more than just a token amount (and how will you know)?

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    Apologies if this comes across a little Crass, but how much are we talking?
    I don't see any issues with it otherwise.
    There you go matey .

http://www.heart-in-diamond.co.uk/

The process is very interesting .

Master
    Looks expensive - wouldn't it be better to just buy her a real diamond and tell her it's the pooch?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Looks expensive - wouldn't it be better to just buy her a real diamond and tell her it's the pooch?
    Elizabeth duke at argos have some cubic zirconium rings on offer as well... She'll never know the difference!

Not!

Dog is man's best friend.

Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

Two birds with one stone.

Dog in a diamond, it's certainly an interesting proposal. Reminds me of the couple who had cardigans made from the hair of their favourite pets, not for everyone but I'm sure there's a market somewhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by melhick View Post
    Reminds me of the couple who had cardigans made from the hair of their favourite pets, not for everyone but I'm sure there's a market somewhere.
    No, I'm pretty sure there is no market there.

Dog in a diamond, it's certainly an interesting proposal. Reminds me of the couple who had cardigans made from the hair of their favourite pets, not for everyone but I'm sure there's a market somewhere.

Lol.

Bit different that mate :)

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure there is no market there.
    Here you go mate,

http://metro.co.uk/2007/03/04/woman-...lothes-130449/

Believe you can also have diamonds made from particles of your loved ones, as I understand it's not just aimed at pets.
    Last edited by melhick; 24th April 2014 at 14:21.

Here you go mate,

http://metro.co.uk/2007/03/04/woman-...lothes-130449/

Believe you can also have diamonds made from particles of your loved ones, as I understand it's not just aimed at pets.
    Indeed.

You can have a diamond made from hair :)

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Indeed.

You can have a diamond made from hair :)
    Think that's the problem really mate, how much DNA is actually in the diamond? 5k for a carat WOWZA!

Master
    I remember when my Dad died 11 years ago. (popped his clogs watching Papillon with Steve McQueen on the TV).

Returned home the next day and went off to the funeral parlour.

I view my Dad's corpse (very little reaction from me , just goes to show a dead body is just a body and nothing like the person it was when its alive).

Very solemnly I stand there and a puzzled expression comes over my face.

"Mum....what's that down by his feet??"

She turns to me and says "Oh that's the dog's ashes , he wanted to be buried with them , its in his will even."

"Ok..." I says and look around for the funeral director

"But can we get someone to at least wrap a bit of muslin around the Walls Neopolitan ice cream tub?"

Not quite the stuff of Pharoahs but interesting one for the archeologists in a few hundred years.

He'd kept that tub "avec chien" for over 12 years . I had a look , he even had the choke chain and name tag in there.

Journeyman
    It sounds like a gift with a lot of sentimental value regardless of the cost. I love it!

Master
    Fascinating process, I'll agree with that, it's definitely not for me though - creeps me right out.

Horses for courses, if it's something she likes the idea of then it's a winner.

It strikes me as a modern and high-tech alternative to the old 'mourning brooch' where you'd put a lock of hair in a glass box and wear it as a pin in honour of the deceased.

Maybe I'll leave word when I pop my clogs that I want to be made into a Sapphire Crystal and fitted in the wifes Rolex.

Sounds freaky to me Al but if that is what your Mrs wants, crack on!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    lovely idea

I know you can't put a price on sentiment but how much would a normal 1 carat lab grown diamond cost?

I think I heard an interview on Simon Mayos show with either a geologist of a diamond dealer and the person said that there is no difference at all between a natural or man made diamond. He mentioned that De Beers made a large one possibly circa 20 carats and that was the largest man made diamond ever.

I think it is a good idea if that's what floats your boat.

Well I had this done for Leanne's 30th birthday which is today.

She was delighted with it. Lots of happy tears and she said it's the best present she's ever received so I'm well happy with that.

The original plan was to have the stone set on the inside of the shank of a ring but the presentation of it has made her want to keep it as it is.

The whole process was a pleasure and the finished product is exceptional. The stone is only small but it come beautifully presented.

If anyone is thinking of having this done I highly recommend it.

Here's a few bad pics-

The presentation certainly looks great, much better to keep it as it is IMHO.

Happy birthday to the better half!

Master
    Presentation looks great, glad the Mrs liked it.

Very interesting Alex, I had not heard of this. Pets I can see.....but people?

For or some odd reason "people are Soylent Green" keeps rattling around my noggin.

Glad she loves it.

Master
    Madness!

But glad you'll get a bj out of it.

I was going to go down this route and have our beloved "Bouncer" made into a diamond for my wife. In the end we had him turned into a rug.

Last edited by studly; 7th June 2014 at 13:12.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    I was going to go down this route and have our beloved "Bouncer" made into a diamond for my wife. In the end we had him turned into a rug.

You scoundrel, you made me do a proper LOL.