closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Watchfinder - updated on page 4

Is this thread still going?!? ;)

Whilst it may have gone off on a bit of a tangent, I'll say it can become tiresome to hear people get bent out of shape when they are trying to sell or part-ex their watches at a DEALER. It is as if people forget they are dealing with a business out to make as much money as possible, and just because the seller places a certain value on a watch does not mean dealer does. For starters, the particular model may be far less desirable than you think; they may already have some of that piece that are not shifting; that model will not yield a good enough margin to make it worthwhile etc. etc.
    I used to work for a business where part-exchange was an option, and more often than not the customer wanting to part-ex had an inflexible idea of how much they wanted for their usually poor condition items, and also wanted a ridiculously good deal on the new item too (as if they were actually just paying cash upfront). Their absolute inability to grasp the concept of margins involved meant they seemed to equate the business to a glorified swap shop. Inevitably they would be 'insulted' by the "low-ball" offer and their hopes dashed to smithereens because you have to break it to them, in the nicest possible way of course, that unpopular and uncared for product is not desirable or saleable.

You could go to a dealer to part-ex, and cleanly, conveniently, and safely rid yourself of your item, albeit for less than you would like... or you could go on somewhere like eBay, take your own photos (hopefully good ones), put in a decent description (if you're capable), figure out at what price to pitch it, vet your buyers and deal with their low-ball offers (oh the irony!), and hope you don't get fleeced by a con-man. Do people honestly wonder why a dealer gives you less? They're making the seller's life easy and they don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts, they're offering a service and want to derive maximum benefit to mitigate the fact they are taking a punt on your item/doing you a (business) 'favour' to get you to buy something else.

Not defending Watchfinder at all, but people getting so angry at dealers for low-balling them is a topic that bothers me on a common sense level. I once took a watch to one jeweller and was offered £400 for the item (straight sale), walked 30 mins to another and was offered £600. Going rate was about £1k so thought I could achieve a bit more selling it privately. I put it on eBay and ended up taking it off and selling it face-to-to face for £850. I was happy with that.

When it comes to selling anything, be it as a business or as an individual I always remember the phrase "you get out what you put in."

Craftsman
    As I said before I think this has gone off on a tangent, the original issue wasn't at all about low ball offers.

We're all more than capable to understand margins. The point is the service received while dealing with them, numbers aside!

Master
    My beef wasn't centred around the lowball offer I received.... I was more annoyed at the 3 or 4 follow up calls attempting to justify the offer..... It'll need a service, it'll need to be checked by our expert etc etc.... This was after I'd said I wouldn't sell at the price offered...

Update!

I thought it only right and proper to update this thread, as I was tempted to pop back into Watchfinder yesterday in my hunt for an AP RO. Anyway, I was very well looked after by Simon Moody, who managed to put right all the deficiencies of earlier visits and actually managed to make me feel like a customer. Credit to him for that, and worthy of mention on here, bearing in mind my earlier comments.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I thought it only right and proper to update this thread, as I was tempted to pop back into Watchfinder yesterday in my hunt for an AP RO. Anyway, I was very well looked after by Simon Moody, who managed to put right all the deficiencies of earlier visits and actually managed to make me feel like a customer. Credit to him for that, and worthy of mention on here, bearing in mind my earlier comments.
    Nice to see a balanced view, you could have left the thread as is but I applaud your spirit of fairness. Customer service can be a bit hit and miss, we are only human and all have bad days ...

My hat is well and truly tipped, well done sir for realigning your views.

For what it's worth I popped in today for a browse and was treated very pleasantly.

Lowballing on a forum is poor form but these guys have a business to run; rent, rates, service charge and utilities are a fortune in Royal Exchange not to mention salaries, commissions and NI etc. You may not like it but they require a decent margin to remain profitable.

If if they offer you too little, try another dealer, eBay or sales corner, life's too short to take it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    For what it's worth I popped in today for a browse and was treated very pleasantly.

Lowballing on a forum is poor form but these guys have a business to run; rent, rates, service charge and utilities are a fortune in Royal Exchange not to mention salaries, commissions and NI etc. You may not like it but they require a decent margin to remain profitable.

If if they offer you too little, try another dealer, eBay or sales corner, life's too short to take it personally.
    This thread was about service received, Jacob. I don't have an issue with their business model, as long as they provide service. They did that yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    This thread was about service received, Jacob. I don't have an issue with their business model, as long as they provide service. They did that yesterday.
    I'm aware Tony and I sympathise with your previous treatment, my comment was in relation to subsequent posts decrying their lowball offers for members watches.

Master
    My experience today.

I made an inquiry (online) about 3 same model watches, I got a polite phone call back within 24 hours from their HQ in Maidstone.

2 out of 3 watches had 12 months warranty but the other 1 had a 24 months warranty, I ask why and they said it had been serviced at an authorised service centre, where as the other 2 had not been completed through the service/refurbishment process yet.

The representative was polite, asked me if this was just general inquiry or looking to make a purchase as he could sweeten a deal by including a 12 or 24 month buy back offer (depending on the watch, returning it in the same condition and to get back what I paid for it).

The representative said he would Email me his details just in case I wanted more help or make a purchase, he was not rude and did not force me into a purchase.

Craftsman
    After having a fall out with Watchfinder and telling myself that I'd never use them again [and making this view on here] I feel it's only right to give them credit where it's due

I needed to raise funds to grab a watch that would have gone if I'd not have been quick, so that ruled out a sale on here or eBay. So I phoned Alex up, and to be fair, we've always had a pretty good working relationship [It was a salesman that I felt umbridge with] and reminded him that Watchfinder "owed me a favour" and told him what I had for sale. He actually gave me a quote on the phone for my watch, as he knew that it would be exactly as I described. This is something that I don't think they do very often [although I may be wrong] The price was the same as I would have put it on SC for and fairly confident it would have gone at that price. This saved me a wasted trip to Maidstone on a day that I had bundles of other things to do

So fair f***s to Watchfinder

Apprentice
    Watchfinder...

Just took delivery of a Breitling Emergency and here are *some* of the issues , i've emailed them late last night and waiting for a response.

1. Missing items in main case ( main manual and Vid ) - told all in there
    2. Light scratch on glass - not mentioned
    3. Asked about a mark on image lower right on casing, told a fingerprint , the watch has taken a smack and the corner has been filed down ( shocking ) there is also a deep ding.
    4. Dings on case side and scratches on rear case
    5. No info supplied regards the buy back offer on the watch
    6. 12 months warranty card sent not the 24 months that was on website listing

Before i purchased i asked questions regards images/condition and items in case via the website, i then had a call stating all there and issues in images were fingerprints etc, again this was backed-up by email. Chap on phone was friendly ( i guess as spending a lot of ££ )

First time dealing with them, not impressed at the moment and will report response!

D

Last edited by DABOSS; 10th July 2014 at 10:58. Reason: added image

I'd missed Tony's update on this; great news as I know Simon was mortified at the treatment you had received. I have dealt with them positively so many times and I am glad you got to talk to the main man.

As to the Breitling above... wow, that lug dink is huge!! There would be no discussion/emal/conversation from me, send it straight back for a full refund which they will honour in a heartbeat. This is NOT the watch you want or deserve :(

Apprentice
    Fully agreed and unsure HOW that was missed...., it must have either been dropped or was a scratch and some goon filed it down...

The watch did come with their two year buyback offer so there are some options, i could keep and pass back to them in two years while they find the one i want! and they can also offer a refund/discount of some kind, failing that it goes back and i won't deal with them again , which is a shame i would have purchased more in the future , in-fact was looking at a nice Monaco..

Service was very fast and to be fair they are responding fast to emails but i'm pissed about the missing items and issues with watch after asking via website then phone call then emails!!

D

Master
    they offer 7 day full refund, i always buy from them prepared to return watches, as a sales persons description is never going to match up to what i would want to know.

If you arent happy just send it back, nothing lost but time

Apprentice
    I'm feeling this and fully agree - back it goes
    Last edited by DABOSS; 10th July 2014 at 11:14.

Quote Originally Posted by DABOSS View Post
    I'm feeling this and fully agree - back it goes
    Absolutely. And make sure you are VERY clear that you didn't damage that lug, it came like it!

As you say, don't know how that even made it out the door.

Master
    That's horrendous. Should be fairly straightforward with the 7 day return policy though, one would hope...

Apprentice
    Well it was sent back Thursday last week and received Friday by WF, i was told it needed *checking* and the refund will take 3-5 days ( impressed i was not ) and told them the funds were removed same day from my account so why should i wait etc etc.

I'll report back once funds back in account..

Apprentice
    Update - Refund came in this am so six days after they said it had been processed ( i also had a cheque in post for return postage ) , can't fault the returns service but still not impressed i wasted a couple of weeks and they sent out a sub standard watch with missing items. This was 100% down to the fact the sales person never bothered to check/ring after being asked three times, i was assured watch was fine and all items in kit.

Would i use them again ? , unsure as have now been told they have been known to service watches themselves and after seeing what has been passed off as a *mint* example... can assume the service would be undertaken by a clown.

A simple - there are a few marks and lug has taken a knock and yes some items are missing from box would have done and price adjusted to suit.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Update - Refund came in this am so six days after they said it had been processed ( i also had a cheque in post for return postage ) , can't fault the returns service but still not impressed i wasted a couple of weeks and they sent out a sub standard watch with missing items. This was 100% down to the fact the sales person never bothered to check/ring after being asked three times, i was assured watch was fine and all items in kit.

Would i use them again ? , unsure as have now been told they have been known to service watches themselves and after seeing what has been passed off as a *mint* example... can assume the service would be undertaken by a clown.

A simple - there are a few marks and lug has taken a knock and yes some items are missing from box would have done and price adjusted to suit.
    to be a fair, a few of us here have had the pleasure of meeting Tony Williams the tech director at Watchfinder, formally of Rolex and Breitling, Tony and his team seemed more than capable of dealing with a service, only question is whether they service all the watches before sale.........

glad you got it sorted in the end, and the turnaround seemed fair enough, given the amount of cash involved and the need to verify the watch wasn't swapped out for a fake etc.

As mentioned on this and other threads, Watchfinder aim for a high turnover and moderate profit.

Not many pre-owned dealers actually service a watch, I've taken this issue up with a few of them, the general consensus is that they will only service the watch if they feel it needs a service.

The fact they've given you a refund and included return postage (fair) means they are serious about their business and I don't think you wasted a few weeks, you bought something unseen, gave it ago, weren't happy, returned without issue, seems painless and your free to continue your search for another Breitling.

Blog Entries
    To be fair I think DABOSS has every right to be aggrieved. Sure they got their money back but a bit of honesty upfront from the seller at the start would have saved significant time from the buyer. To say they shouldn't feel sour after that experience is, frankly, ignorance.

Apprentice
    Agree with above posts , the issue was with the fact i'd been told the watch had been checked and nothing was wrong , all items were in the box and nothing was missing. I checked via the web, spoke to them twice about the above over phone and then emailed to check again to make sure. So that was the complete waste of time element ( web chat/two phone calls/10 emails ) etc. People make mistakes so put it down to that, i'll prob use them again but would pop into store and view in person.

Master
    the attitude i have always take with WF when buying used is to be ready to return it if not to my satisfaction.

I have bought new from them, with no issue

Bought used and returned, with no isse

Bought used and come to an arrangement (in my case a brand new alligator strap for a JLC that i was going to return as i felt the strap was too worn)

In fairness thats not bad going, like all sales people their interest in the smaller things wont match yours, the same way i wont take a car dealer at his word on condition i am the same with watches.

I went into the store yesterday and bought an IWC Topgun. Very pleased with watch and service i received.