closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchfinder - updated on page 4

Watchfinder - updated on page 4

I'm aware that there are some fans of Watchfinder on here, and I believe they're represented in terms of membership too. With that in mind, I thought I'd mention a couple of recent experiences at the Royal Exchange which have left me feeling a bit miffed.

Firstly, I popped into the shop about two months ago, with a view to trading in a watch for something reasonably special (by which I mean, at least twice the value of the watch I was trading). It doesn't matter what I was trading but I was offered 59% of the price they'd sold their last one for, and that was the best part of a year earlier since which times prices had firmed. (To put it into perspective, that one sold at about £6.2k). I was treated fairly dismissively, to be honest, and was advised that it was a "take it or leave it" situation; however, at no time was I asked what I was looking to buy, which I thought was exceptionally short-sighted as it should have had an impact on their approach to any trade deal. I went in there again last week, asking to view an Aquanaut that I'd seen on the website the previous evening. I was told (by the same guy, who barely looked up from his seat) that it wasn't in stock and must have just been sold by their other branch. No further questions, no attempt to take details, and barely a glance in my direction... in other words, an opportunity missed but - more importantly - the same lackadaisical attitude towards a serious watch buyer.

Suffice it to say that I won't be giving Watchfinder the benefit of my money any time soon. In fact, I left the shop, walked across to the other side of the building, and spent 30 minutes chatting to a lovely lady in Boodles who - with the aid of a colleague - arranged for Patek to redirect a watch to the Royal Exchange (it was intended for another store) in order that I could try it on with no obligation whatsoever to buy. Very different in terms of the customer experience, I have to say.

I've had other experiences with Watchfinder, less important but nevertheless leaving me with an impression that they need to do a lot more to justify their far from inconsiderable mark-ups. In this day and age, I don't think any retailer can afford to lose business through poor customer service, but they have in my case.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th June 2014 at 18:36.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Assuming it wasn't a Director I would try and email one and complain. It's a shoddy way yo deal with someone looking to spend a serious chunk of change. BTW didn't you have some sort of dealing with them in relation to your blog?

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Assuming it wasn't a Director I would try and email one and complain. It's a shoddy way yo deal with someone looking to spend a serious chunk of change. BTW didn't you have some sort of dealing with them in relation to your blog?
    I came close to it, Phil, but for a host of reasons decided not to pursue it.

Banned
    Unfortunately, Tony my friend, that typifies the service in this country. I go out of my way to find good service and then revisit frequently to show my appreciation.

I'd have tried to squeeze out a little smelly number before I left the shop. He'd have lifted his head then.

Craftsman
    I sold them a Planet Ocean in Royal Exchange a few weeks back and they were very pleasant to deal with. The guy who examined my watch was very helpful and we chatted for a good 20 minutes. I usually get a quote from them on a watch I'm thinking of selling just so I know the bottom range they're offering.

Sounds a lot like the guy I dealt with when I went to sell a few pieces

What really unimpressed me was when they tried to persuade me to sell my ap there for £1k less than I had asked to list it for, end up selling it for the reserve price, and then list the watch for sale for £1500 more than I listed it for.
    Last edited by spluurfg; 19th April 2014 at 10:17.

Sorry to hear your experience wasn't a good one, unfortunately poor customer service and being ill treated when spending money seems to be second nature for some industries.

I'm not sure that the attitude isn't isolated to watchfinder, I'm used to dealers wanting to make 50% on your watch but I've been looking to trade a few watches, Blowers, SWC weren't interested in the p/x I was offering. Was most disappointed with SWC, I'm used to their ridiculously low offers (£250 p/x for £1k and other very similar examples), even put up with the arrogant staff and slamming down of the phone at SWC simply because I've wanted what they've had but no more, will think really hard before dealing with them and some other dealers again.

For me Watchfinder came in with a reasonable straight sale value and fairly good p/x, even so they should treat all customers with respect and in a fair manner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    arranged for Patek to redirect a watch to the Royal Exchange (it was intended for another store) in order that I could try it on
    this is a bit of a tangent to the direction of the thread, but I always thought Patek's came sealed in cellophane bag as customers were always to be sold a watch that had never been worn or tried by anyone else.

I never knew how this worked in reality, but it's just what I picked up on here

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    this is a bit of a tangent to the direction of the thread, but I always thought Patek's came sealed in cellophane bag as customers were always to be sold a watch that had never been worn or tried by anyone else.

I will continue along the tangent. I have seen Patek watches in their cellophane bag and thought how to make something that is so expensive look so cheap. If they were not real gold, they could look like something from Argos.

Craftsman
    I think if I was spending PP money, I'd want to know that it hadn't been man-handled by anyone else :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    I think if I was spending PP money, I'd want to know that it hadn't been man-handled by anyone else :)
    So you'd happily pay PP money without trying the watch on then?

Craftsman
    I guess I'd like the best of both worlds, a display model to try on, and then an unmolested, sealed watch to take home.

Not too much to ask is it?

Craftsman
    Mine were sealed when I bought them, but then I ordered them in specifically. Those I've tried on in store have the watch head plastic wrapped so as not to get fingerprints on the precious metal. If you buy this model then you get a brand new replacement strap as well as the one that has been used for trying on.

It's not just watchfinder. I had a similar experience with a number of dealers when I was looking for my first Panerai. For me watchfinder changed when they opened a shop in The Royal Exchange. I also feel that the buying experience from them is very similar to buy a car from a car supermarket, (if you don't buy it someone else will)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    I've been looking to trade a few watches, Blowers, SWC weren't interested in the p/x I was offering.
    You were offering? That might not be how retail works me old mate!
    RIAC

I'm sure Patek supply stores with demonstrator models, I know Berrys do as I've tried a few models on in their Windsor store.

Master
    LTF..... It doesn't need to be this way....

I too would never deal with WF again..... First experience was a speed master bought to mark my retirement.... It arrived 3 days after they promised, and the chronometer certificate was missing...

Ok I accept that the delivery delay wasn't entirely their fault, but they couldn't give a toss about the missing card...

A few years later tried to sell them a Panerai... The price they offered was no where near what they had the same model up for sale..... When I declined, they then sent me texts, explaining why my watch was crap, and why it was only worth xxx

I sold the same watch to blowers, whom made a fair offer off the bat, but actually ended up, upping it by a few hundred ££, on viewing, as they said it was better than I'd described on the phone....

Guess where I bought my next watch from??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I sold the same watch to blowers, whom made a fair offer off the bat, but actually ended up, upping it by a few hundred ££, on viewing, as they said it was better than I'd described on the phone....

Guess where I bought my next watch from??
    And that's how to do business!

Well done Blowers.

Banned
    Sales staff are members on here from dealers all over the UK. Watchfinder are a second hand dealer some of the high end stock is without B+P it's not the first time staff attitude has been mentioned, last month while in London I passed WF twice but never went in, so i voted with my feet.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Sales staff are members on here from dealers all over the UK. Watchfinder are a second hand dealer some of the high end stock is without B+P it's not the first time staff attitude has been mentioned, last month while in London I passed WF twice but never went in, so i voted with my feet.
    Sorry, could you explain?

Master
    If that's how they treated you Tony, then my simple remark is……'ck 'em!
    They need your money more than you need them, and I've already shown you were to pick up an unmolested one, where you can go and spend a nice day or two enjoying the sights, espressos, etc, all for the cost of a cheap flight.

Master
    And that's how to do business!

Well done Blowers.
    To be honest adrian.... I can only speak as I find.... But I have to say the whole face to face deal I did with blowers was an absolute pleasure.....
    Yes of course I know they're in business to make a profit, but I didn't leave their place thinking I'd been had over like a mug.....

I'm very tempted to take a little trip to Riccione, actually - all the more so because when I was a kid that's where all our parents went to on holiday

Anyway, Boodles do indeed have an Aquanaut fully sealed and brand new on the way. I don't know what the policy is normally, but this one has my name on it albeit I've been invited to try it, along with a 5711, so I can be absolutely sure which one I want (whilst being under no obligation to buy either). I'm also in communication with two other Patek ADs that are trying to put the right deal together, and both of them are due to get back to me early next week.

My issue with WF is more the manner in which I was treated than anything else. Their mark-ups are huge, but if they're not going to add any value to the shopping experience (indeed, if they're going to spoil that experience for me) I refuse to let them make those mark-ups at my expense.

One thing I didn't mention earlier, by the way - I've been working in Paternoster Square for 7 months now, and my role involves constant travel between the office there and another in Aldgate. I tend to walk (it's only 20 minutes) which takes me right past the door of the Royal Exchange each time, and I must have popped into WF on average once or twice a week in that period. Not a single person working there knows my name, or has ever said anything more to me than "hello" (unless I've specifically asked a question). I wonder sometimes, honestly.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 19th April 2014 at 16:50.

Don´t spend any more of your money with this retailer, problem solved.

Were you perhaps wearing a tie with a button down collar?
    Last edited by Passenger; 19th April 2014 at 16:51.

Craftsman
    I expected that the Royal Exchange Square shop would make it easier to view watches. When I contacted them about a watch they said I would have to pay a full deposit for the watch to be sent from their main office to London so I could view it. I declined.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    It's the kind of thing you might well find me doing, so who knows?

Craftsman
    The guys at Blowers are very good and willing to negotiate so both parties are happy. I was very pleased with the part ex I made with them in Feb.
    I've also dealt with WF but only buying. It all ran smoothly and was very quick but I'm sure I wouldn't have been offered much if I had part ex.

Craftsman

My issue with WF is more the manner in which I was treated than anything else. Their mark-ups are huge, but if they're not going to add any value to the shopping experience (indeed, if they're going to spoil that experience for me) I refuse to let them make those mark-ups at my expense.
    Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    Personally I have no issue with what profit margin WF is making but part of it suppose to go back to staff training leading to better customer service imo. Blowers are not making less profit than WF, Watch Centre or SWC from what I can see but most receive better service & are willing to part their cash that way.
    I think you've both hit the nail on the head there.

When your going to be spending the type of money tony is, on something like an AP, you expect a bloody good service! Hell even if your only buying a SS rolex I still expect a good service! Shame the service is so poor, I certainly wouldn't think about parting any of my hard earned cash in there......

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post

It's the kind of thing you might well find me doing, so who knows?
    Do you wear ties T?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Yeah - good service costs nothing to the business - although they have to pay for staff who give one... However if I was the boss of watchfinder I'd be wondering about some people I employ - not least because charming people to sell you stuff at a decent price is so essential!
    However on the issue of prices - there will always be a massive margin between what a retailer is prepared to pay and what they will then try and sell them for... to think you'll get anything like the resale price is a bit naive. If you think you can get better elsewhere, just move on is the best option.

A sad read, but for some perspective, I have never been dealt with in any other way than extremely professionally and have some absolutely cracking watches and cracking deals from there; DRSD, Reverso 18k, BP FF Calendar and IWC Doppel in the last few months alone all of which we have been abe to negotiate down to well below the cheapest on chrono24. They also gave me 1700 more than I paid for my BP FF Chrono on a trade-in...

When I go there, I am unfailingly offered a drink (coffee or alcoholic) from the bar outside and I have taken other friends in there who have also then bought from them and been very happy. I'm now in a position of simply popping in for a chat and the manager will give me an afternoon of his time just yakking about watches; his knowledge, especially of Patek, is huge. He's on the lookout for a Reverso Duo for Mrs yeti as well and I have no doubt he'll get me one at silly money.

It's hard to believe experiences can vary so much :(

As a sidenote, Blowers are also terrific and my two biggest watch purchases ever have been from there.

Banned
    Blog Entries

One thing I didn't mention earlier, by the way - I've been working in Paternoster Square for 7 months now, and my role involves constant travel between the office there and another in Aldgate. I tend to walk (it's only 20 minutes) which takes me right past the door of the Royal Exchange each time, and I must have popped into WF on average once or twice a week in that period. Not a single person working there knows my name, or has ever said anything more to me than "hello" (unless I've specifically asked a question). I wonder sometimes, honestly.
    this is probably the reason for the lack of attention from them, not that its in any way excusable. they see you coming in, once or twice a week, without purchase and browsing, and they assume your a time waster, which of course couldn't be further from the truth.

in any case, and especially in the 'high end' field of retail, one expects a certain level of customer service, the boutiques have known this for a while now, especially Rolex as you know. The 'experience' in any high end purchase is part of the sale, people want to feel special.

although you have stated you don't want to proceed further, I feel you must mention this to senior management, its the only way these company's can move forward on these things.

if they still have the arrogant attitude after maybe a month, then its there loss.

Craftsman
    One thing that is a shame is that the guy from WF that comes on the forum is a really nice guy and understands the watch world, shame the rest of them don't!

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Do you wear ties T?
    He does, I've seen it with my own eyes :o)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    this is probably the reason for the lack of attention from them, not that its in any way excusable. they see you coming in, once or twice a week, without purchase and browsing, and they assume your a time waster, which of course couldn't be further from the truth.
    Pure conjecture on your part – you've no idea who the employee was, and why they couldn't be courteous and polite each time Tony popped in.
    A few moments of chatting would've qualified him as a potential customer (long term too) or a casual time-waster.

although you have stated you don't want to proceed further, I feel you must mention this to senior management, its the only way these company's can move forward on these things.

if they still have the arrogant attitude after maybe a month, then its there loss.
    Disagree – time to wash his hands of them. They've had ample opportunities to establish a rapport with Tony, which they've failed to capitalise upon.
    Telling management they have a problem with their staff displaying severe disinterest is a sign management are failing in their duties to monitor their business, and from Tony's POV, having to raise the issue to get the level of service a £12K expenditure demands, is a further slap across the face.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xanx View Post
    One thing that is a shame is that the guy from WF that comes on the forum is a really nice guy and understands the watch world, shame the rest of them don't!
    If that's the case, then maybe he'll report back to the boss(es) that they lost £12K of business, and probably a fair chunk more in the years ahead.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Pure conjecture on your part – you've no idea who the employee was, and why they couldn't be courteous and polite each time Tony popped in.
    A few moments of chatting would've qualified him as a potential customer (long term too) or a casual time-waster.

Disagree – time to wash his hands of them. They've had ample opportunities to establish a rapport with Tony, which they've failed to capitalise upon.
    Telling management they have a problem with their staff displaying severe disinterest is a sign management are failing in their duties to monitor their business, and from Tony's POV, having to raise the issue to get the level of service a £12K expenditure demands, is a further slap across the face.
    you speak of conjecture, but assume a 'few moments of chatting would've qualified him as a potential customer' interesting,

and disagree all you want, and as your speaking from 'Tony's POV' its interesting you feel he would be further slapped on the face, by reporting this employee, I have no idea about.

I guess given the current level of customer service in the UK, you don't have many places left to shop?

EDIT: here have my newest ferret gif, with no conjecture on how it should be scrubbed,
    Last edited by soundood; 19th April 2014 at 21:42.

I found Watchfinders staff to be little more than glorified mobile phone salesmen in terms of attitude. However David Duggan's staff are perhaps some of London's worst, absolute idiots trying to pass off damaged stock in my experience, clowns and rude with it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Operation Grandslam View Post
    I found Watchfinders staff to be little more than glorified mobile phone salesmen in terms of attitude. However David Duggan's staff are perhaps some of London's worst, absolute idiots trying to pass off damaged stock in my experience, clowns and rude with it.
    totally agree with this one on David Duggan's, went into see a 5513 from 1968, that to be honest needed some TLC and a good service, but they seemed to thing it was OK to throw it out in its present condition at just under £6K

I've had a reasonable amount to do with Watchfinder, both from a commercial perspective in a previous role, and as a customer.

I agree that their markups tend to be huge, and possibly ambitious if you spend time in here and therefore know the market value for stuff, but I've also found them willing to negotiate and keen to do a deal. They've also got some excellent and impressive staff on the team, although there's no doubt that I've had more to do with the managers and directors than the regular shop staff.

I'd be as disappointed as you if I'd been treated in that way, particularly if they don't seem to know you after repeated visits. What I would say though is that I know that the directors of the business would be appalled to read of you being treated in this way and that whilst I can quite understand you not wanting to waste more time making a complaint, I do think you'd be pleasantly surprised at their response if you did.

Master
    you speak of conjecture, but assume a 'few moments of chatting would've qualified him as a potential customer' interesting
    My presumption is well founded, based on the sales person only having to learn of Tony's watch history, see what he was wearing (possibly), or even just finding out he has a GO PC, would very quickly ascertain he wasn't a waste of time and effort, but a serious potential customer.

That was the easy part – selling him their Aquanaut may've been more tricky depending on how much they were prepared to flex on price and its condition, compared to what an Italian AD could offer at similar cost.

Nice ferret, btw, but I'd be more interested in seeing how you rinse it – full body dunk or shower head set to massaging pulse.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartforrest View Post
    I've had a reasonable amount to do with Watchfinder, both from a commercial perspective in a previous role, and as a customer.

I agree that their markups tend to be huge, and possibly ambitious if you spend time in here and therefore know the market value for stuff, but I've also found them willing to negotiate and keen to do a deal. They've also got some excellent and impressive staff on the team, although there's no doubt that I've had more to do with the managers and directors than the regular shop staff.

I'd be as disappointed as you if I'd been treated in that way, particularly if they don't seem to know you after repeated visits. What I would say though is that I know that the directors of the business would be appalled to read of you being treated in this way and that whilst I can quite understand you not wanting to waste more time making a complaint, I do think you'd be pleasantly surprised at their response if you did.
    couldn't agree more, senior staff need to know of this incident, so that they can deal with it.

Banned
    senior staff need to know of this incident, so that they can deal with it.
    Senior staff shouldn't be senior if this sort of thing goes on.

Their staff don't come over as watch enthusiasts to me.

I've been in a few times and ignored. I spotted a nice Breitling B1 in there but no one exhibited any interest in talking to me, so I went home and researched and got a nice one for little more than half their asking price.

I thnk the Royal Exchange shop is a bit of a speculative outlet hoping that well heeled people with no knowledge will spot something shiny and buy it without considering if the price is fair,

By contrast the staff in the Omega store their are unfailingly friendly and helpful.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Ferrets should always be stroked in one direction with a garyflex block prior to rinsing and finishing. Weasels are a stoataly different kettle of fish.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Plus View Post
    Ferrets should always be stroked in one direction with a garyflex block prior to rinsing and finishing. Weasels are a stoataly different kettle of fish.

so is this way wrong? Arthur seems to like it this way, he never moans...

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Senior staff shouldn't be senior if this sort of thing goes on.
    agreed,

but if we were all to fall on our swords because of the failures of our subordinates, there would be no seniors left to deal with this kind of behaviour, what is needed here is the managing out of the weakest links, but in order to do this, they must be informed of it, or we are forever destined to scream from the side-lines.

we need to be less 'British' about complaining.
    Last edited by soundood; 19th April 2014 at 22:50.

This thread needs more mustelidae.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Plus View Post
    This thread needs more mustelidae.
    You called

As to WF, bought a watch from them a few years ago and to say I was disappointed is an understatement - having agreed a brand new strap would be provided as I don't really want someone else's sweat infused strap the watch turns up without a new strap, several calls to the saleslady and her boss but they wouldn't budge. Basically they told me I'd fabricated the whole thing up and that they'd never have agreed to a new strap despite me forwarding the email back to them that agreed this as part of the deal ... the inference being that I'd doctored the email.

I'd be very reluctant to deal with them ever again.

As to a couple of comments around the level of service you'll expect if spending 12k ... I'm old school, I expect a decent and honest level of service no matter what the amount is I'm spending!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    If that's the case, then maybe he'll report back to the boss(es) that they lost £12K of business, and probably a fair chunk more in the years ahead.
    Yep. And this is why I like threads like these...they give the rest of us something to consider when we set out on our next purchase.

Dumb salesmen like this really don't know how much damage they can potentially do with their appalling attitudes. It only takes one geeky WIS on a forum (no offence, Tony ) and bad news will travel..fast.

A few of us went to the Royal Exchange Watchfinder opening event last year and a good evening was had by all - the staff were naturally all sweetness and light.

The test obviously comes with every day service and this type of 'secret shopper' experience. You've got to back up all the show and razzmatazz.

I always wonder why people who don't like serving bother entering the service industry. If it's not you or you just can't be bothered, do something else for crying out loud!

To balance some poor experiences with a good one I have recently bought a watch from them. Negotiated over 20% off the website price (over the phone - and they had to call me back the next day about it).

The watch arrived by rmsd in excellent condition. I have since had an email from them asking how I am getting on with the watch etc. Overall, I'm impressed, but unlike the OP, have not dealt with the in store staff.