closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch boxes, keep or bin?

Watch boxes, keep or bin?

I have been having a bit of a clear out and going through some old watch boxes I have started to throw a few out. I know for many people the whole "Box and papers" is a big thing but unless its some particularity remarkable watch I now have to wonder whats the point? I have now reached a point where the watches I have are ones I intend to keep so dont have any need to keep boxes thinking of selling a watch in the future and really, its just clutter that I could do without.

There are some watch boxes I can think of that are quite nice such as Longines that have a nice wood box that can be reused for something else (Storing watch straps etc) or say the old Stowa watch boxes with that retro metal tin.

Has anyone else reached a point where watch boxes are just pointless clutter and unless can be found for another use are just for the bin? Is there still such a need for "box and papers" regardless of the watch?

Master
    I have kept all mine because I am a completionist but there are times when that looks like a better decision than others.
    A young lady in the Panerai section of Mappin and Webb at Bluewater told me this afternoon that Panerai were no longer issuing the beautiful wooden boxes so I'm definitely keeping those!

I always keep and for the boxes which are similar I put two post it notes with the watch and month/year of purchase. One outside and one inside.

But I also have boxes for 8 year old laptops. Constant fight in the house as my wife wants them all gone.

Master
    Not only do I keep all of mine, I'm constantly scouring ebay for spares and extras in case I buy a loose watch and can pair it to a box. That's probably going too far!
    Even so, keep me in mind before binning them!

Not long ago I bought a Mondaine from ebay because it was cheap and I had a mint condition empty box. I'm an idiot.

Master
    Could affect resale value if no outer box?

Master
    Yes, they are pointless clutter, I've got loads cluttering my floor! However, if you are into trading luxury brands, then people like the full set including box, papers etc. There again, some of these luxury brands seem to have been competing recently for who can produce the largest and most pointless boxes! You sometimes see boxes almost the size of shoe boxes!

Master
    I keep all of mine. A full package come's in very handy when one decides to move the watch on.

I have even got watch boxes that have no watch to go into them. I may get something to fill them.

OP says his are keepers…

Journeyman
    I keep all mine in a box in the loft

Master
    It seems a waste to chuck them, but the hassle of selling them sometimes isn't worth it. But it might be worth sticking them on here and ask for the buyer to pay postage and make a fund raiser donation.

Considering the space taken up by other unnecessary junk I own, watch boxes are the least of my problems. If you reach the stage of decluttering where a few watch boxes are your concern, you are doing well and are down to the most minimal of possessions!

I keep all my watch boxes in a box....to me, that feels like decluttering.

<not really helping am I >

If there keepers as you say and the boxes bother you then get rid.

Otherwise boxes do make for a more complete package when selling.

Craftsman
    Not only do I keep the manufacturer’s watch box, but I also keep the online supplier’s outer box too, although recently I have started to think that is going too far, and may get rid of them once I can summon the necessary gumption.

A couple I have used for storage of other things like watch straps there are one or two that are "travel cases" so are practical to keep. I think of some watch boxes I have had over the years, I bought an old Omega years ago with box and papers the box was literally disintegrating, parts of it stuck to the outer card looking back I now think "what is really the point of keeping it?" I suppose like everyone else the whole selling with box and papers is always what a buyer is after.

I wonder where that first came from? Perhaps from back in the day when people only had one or two watches and sold on to dealers so popping into a shop having the original box was a bit more "proof" of ownership rather than buying it off the bloke down the pub? These days though it really offers nothing to the providence of the watch. I read here somewhere Rolex back in the day suggesting using the box as somewhere to store your cigarettes!

I am a bit like that with watch straps though, never really understood the point of wanting a second hand watch with the strap, unless its a bracelet I tend to suggest taking the strap off and keeping it unless its say with the original buckle.

Someone mentioned Citizen, from memory I think they had boxes that could reasonably be re-used as something else? Seiko seem to be mostly boxes made to be disposed of.

Unless you need the space, I'd hold on to them. If you change your mind about any of those keepers you might regret binning the box.

IME even cheap crappy watches sell better if they come 'full set', so unless you live in a Tokyo studio flat, it seems barmy to bin 'em.

Blog Entries
    I keep the bags the boxes came in, you know the luxury ones that are huge with a ribbon on top and gets you mugged outside the stores?

I’ll get my coat.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Of course I keep the boxes, I keep them all in the attic in suitcases

Craftsman
    I pretty much keep all mine (as I have the space) and usually keep the spare bracelet links when I size the watch, plus it's good if I move the piece along....the next owner gets the full package, so to speak.

I keep mine for set completeness but find it weird that people keep boxes for things like PlayStation, TVs etc!

If you think you might sell keep. People like to buy the ‘full set’
    If you have no intention of selling bin.

I actually prefer a watch without box or papers if buying used.
    Less crap to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I keep mine for set completeness but find it weird that people keep boxes for things like PlayStation, TVs etc!
    Watch is weirder. Posting a TV difficult w/o box.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Watch is weirder. Posting a TV difficult w/o box.
    When would you need to post a TV though?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    How does it get through the letter box?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    When it's moved on.

Master
    Always keep all boxes that come with the watch. I know it’s a PITA eg Omega but it does help with resale

I keep boxes and papers even for those that I know are keepers. When the time comes, I shall pass them on to my children as complete sets. Most of them don't know how to wind up and set a watch so the instructions will come in handy!

I keep all boxes - Breitling, Rolex, Omega, Bremont, G Shock etc, and store the original receipts too. They don't take up that much room, and when I have need to dig out the box, seeing the receipt provides memories, as well as, further provenance.
    Last edited by Nicholas; 18th April 2024 at 20:26.

Master
    Being a paneristi I always keep the boxes, even have box from my first TAG from 1997. But. The amount of space that they occupy, especially the Panerai limited stuff boxes, is a bit nuts.
    At least the Panerai boxes are almost a work of art.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Chuck them all out.

Apprentice
    Keep em'. If you're lacking space, dig a big hole in the garden

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alzone View Post
    I keep all mine in a box in the loft
    Same, I have a 12 slot tray that fits nicely into a drawer in my dresser but, everything I own with a box, has said box stowed away in the attic.