closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do I want to spend £4k on a GMT II C?

Master

Do I want to spend £4k on a GMT II C?

Because I feel like maybe I do, but I'm not sure, especially as I've never actually spent that much on a watch before. Want something nice that ticks all the boxes and that I will enjoy wearing every day. Have a couple of dailies but I feel like I want something a bit special. I usually prefer more left field choices and have sold off most of my mainstream watches, I'm not even that big a Rolex fan, but I do love a GMT, the GMT II has the right GMT function for me, and I do like the way it looks. Have also been eyeing up the Explorer II 42 (black dial) as it seems like you're getting more watch for your money but I don't it doesn't get much love. Just thinking out loud really!

Craftsman
    That seems like a good price. I sold mine for more than that last summer.
    It's a great watch, the only reason I sold mine is I couldn't get on with a modern rolex. I prefer the older models and now have a 16700. If you like the new model I'd go for it!

Seb, if you have not tried it on yet, do it. It will give you a perspective on things. Try to take out the name and the price and ask yourself if you truly love the piece.

I was surprised more than once, specially for the model you are mentioning.

The GMT C and the Sub C: wanted to love them but the maxi case kills it for me
    Th 42mm EXP II: wanted to hate it, tried it on (white dial) and loved it at first glance. Considering it for my next purchase...

I really like the ceramic GMTII and at 4k you're not going to lose much if you decide it isn't for you. Some are put off by the PCL's but scratches easily polish out. I've seen a number of brushed GMTII's and they look fantastic. GMT function, date function, triple lock crown, easylink bracelet and all the water resistance you'll ever need. Go on go go on go on

Last edited by mylofitz; 17th April 2014 at 14:26.

Journeyman
    I had GMT C but traded it to sub LV C. In my opinion GMT C was a bit boring as a black dialled watch. I really like LV C. It really stands out.

I also have white 42mm Explorer. Really tough tool watch and the most comfortable watch I have ever owned. You really get a lot of watch with that price what pre-loved ones are selling these days. The newest movement and Paraflex...if that matters.

The point is that what ever Rolex you decide to buy you will not regret it. If you for some reason get tired of it, you can very easily flip it to another model without big financial drawback.

The common opinion seems to be that your first Rolex should be black faced Submariner or GMT. Because of their versatility.
    Last edited by Qristian; 17th April 2014 at 14:25.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qristian View Post
    I had GMT C but traded it to sub LV C. In my opinion GMT C was a bit boring as a black dialled watch. I really like LV C. It really stands out.

I also have white 42mm Explorer. Really tough tool watch and the most comfortable watch I have ever owned. You really get a lot of watch with that price what pre-loved ones are selling these days. The newest movement and Paraflex...if that matters.

The point is that what ever Rolex you decide to buy you will not regret it. If you get tired of it, you can very easily flip it to another model without big financial drawback.

The common opinion seems to be that your first Rolex shoul be black faced Submariner or GMT.

Already did the 16610 a few years ago so have free reign now :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb d View Post
    Already did the 16610 a few years ago so have free reign now :)
    Sorry, I didn't know your watch-history:) Well maybe it is time to update the 16610 to 116710 or to try some other coloured dialled watch. In my opinion SubDate and Gmt C LN are too much alike even the other is ceramic.

In fact couple of years ago I flipped 16610 to 116710LN. Didn't have any regrets exept that prices for 16610 went a bit up (at least here in Finland) after the 116610 was introduced. I should have sold it first and then buy the GMT.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qristian View Post
    Sorry, I didn't know your watch-history:) Well maybe it is time to update the 16610 to 116710 or to try some other coloured dialled watch. In my opinion SubDate and Gmt C LN are too much alike even the other is ceramic.

In fact couple of years ago I flipped 16610 to 116710LN. Didn't have any regrets exept that prices for 16610 went a bit up (at least here in Finland) after the 116610 was introduced. I should have sold it first and then buy the GMT.
    No need to apologise! I agreed with the first Rolex being a Sub so that's why I bought one :) Had it for a while and moved it on, but did enjoy it. I love the black and blue GMT II C but £2k more for a flash of colour is not an option.

Master
    No you don't. Doesn't particularly strike me as a watch that would sit well in a 'left field' collection (don't know what else you have). If you flipped the Sub, why do you think this would be any more special?

Master
    I bought a Rolex in Jan this year and went through the same as you.I had no limit on budget and having owned a Rolex Sub date a few years ago thought this would be for me.

However i turned up at my local Rolex dealer who i knew well having bought a number of Omegas from him.I tried on the Sub Date but it looked small and didn't do it.I then went through most of the range before i decided on the Rolex Exp 11 in white.At 42mm it looked better,felt better and i got a great discount.The bonus is that they are not as common but for me taking my time and trying on numerous watches i will not need to flip it and i love it to bits.

The dealer was great and didn't think i was wasting his time and if you are spending that sort of money you need to get it right.

Good Luck

Master
    Also check out the BLNR, i love mine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Also check out the BLNR, i love mine.
    I think it looks great but it's £2k more so not an option sadly

Master
    £2k retail I'm sure if u research around u can get it much cheaper :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    £2k retail I'm sure if u research around u can get it much cheaper :)
    The one for sale on SC was £5950 and I've not seen them for less than about £5600 used :(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb d View Post
    The one for sale on SC was £5950 and I've not seen them for less than about £5600 used :(
    Get the GMTc, a lovely watch, I have his brother the Subc, and then trade up to the BLNR in a years time when prices are more friendly and maybe a Coke Ceramic will even be out.

I would give it a shot if I were you. The good thing about the GMT IIc is that if you buy it used at a good price, but don't bond with it, you can pretty much sell it on relatively quickly without making a loss. And I would also try the 42mm Explorer too. At some point I had both watches, and noticed that the GMT wasn't being worn much at all. It looked almost feminine next to the Explorer (for lack of a better way to put it). But that is down completely to personal preference.