closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can ayone help with the valuation of an old Longines, please?

Master

Can ayone help with the valuation of an old Longines, please?

I wonder if anyone may be to help with valuing an old Longines watch?

I'm trying to help out my uncle, who's 80 and has prostate cancer, and wants to sell a few bits.

He used to have an antiques shop many years ago, but all he can say about this watch is that it's 9 ct gold. It's about 34mm, a manual wind, keeps good time, but has some scratches and a small crack on the lower plexi, and a blemish on the dial around the 9. The leather strap and buckle are not Longines.

I did suggest it may be worth listing on E-bay and see what he could get. If I had a rough idea of worth, I'd list it on Sales Corner for him.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you

Banned
    Blog Entries
    not very much I am afraid, I don't recognise it, but I would say no more than maybe £70 - £100, if someone offered me £60 for it, as a project I would accept.

of course I could be very wrong......

Any idea which movement it has?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    not very much I am afraid, I don't recognise it, but I would say no more than maybe £70 - £100, if someone offered me £60 for it, as a project I would accept.

of course I could be very wrong......
    Thanks for replying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
    Any idea which movement it has?
    I'm afraid I don't, how exactly would I find out?

The back is just plain gold, with no markings.

Master
    Looks 1960's? Are you sure it's 9kt gold Antony23? Does it have a stainless steel caseback? If so it's nearly always going to be gold filled/plated. A movement shot would help a lot and a shot of the inner caseback. The movement number will give you the date it was made. The dial looks like an early redial(can't see any "swiss made" at the 6 position) and that would stand against it.

Value? If it's solid gold and has a half decent movement, I've seen similar enough vintage Longines go for 200 sterling and sometimes more. While I would say the brand is still undervalued*, I have noticed as a long time Longines vintage fan and collector that prices have been rising of late.

EDIT, just saw your update. So it's solid gold by the sounds of it anyway. To get to the movement in these dress watches they usually have a snapped on case, rather than a screwback. The latter will have tooth holes to engage a spanner, the snap backs usually have a small indent where a tool can be fitted to pop it off.

*certainly compared to Omega, whose pre late 1960's history isn't within an asses roar to that of Longines.

Master
    That looks mid 60's, probably a manual wind calibre 280. Very Good condition ones similar to this seem to get advertised for about £400 - £500, one in this condition in need of a service, new crystal and a case refinish and possibly a replacement dial (the dial looks a bit scratched) must be worth £150 to £200. Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Steve

The dial damage kills it, so it's really only viable to be sold as a project IMHO. Therefore, currently worth a tad over the value of the scrap gold. I agree that's probably going to be in the £100 to £150 range.

Foggy

Grand Master
    Here's how I`d value it:

A good one with a sharp dial, new crystal, serviced, refinished, and a decent strap, would fetch around £400. The dial needs refinishing (£85), a new crystal is needed, the watch needs servicing and it'll be wise to fit a new mainspring. The case will need refinishing too. Labour (at my rates) would be around £100-£110, a crystal and mainspring is approx. £20. A decent strap can be had for around £10. That makes a total of £215-£225 to restore it. If it needs more parts that'll obviously go up.

Assuming it's got around 12-15g gold, the scrap value for the case is around £110-£130.

To be viable, someone needs to buy it for around scrap value, maybe a little more. However, this could make an excellent dress watch after restoration. Longines are a undervalued by comparison with similar Omega watches.

Paul

Master
    Thank you to everyone who's replied.

The watch dissent actually look as base as my photo makes out, the strap is good and it keeps good time. The killer is the dial damage.

I may put it on eBay for him. How can I tell exactly what ct gold it is?