closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to India

Banned
    Blog Entries

Trip to India

Wife and I have today decided that a three week trip to India would be a great way to celebrate our joint 50th birthdays - in fact, mine this April and hers in January. We plan to go in January 2015. We are in the early stages of planning, and will probably prefer to rely on the services of a travel consultant rather than go it alone, but does anyone have any recommendations of where to stay and what to see? Budget is c. £10k, and neither if us are pool junkies so plenty to see and do please.
    Thanks,
    S

I like your train of thought . You go for three weeks for your 50 th and she goes for hers.
    I must try and get that one past my wife :)
    I will follow this thread with interest though because I'd love to travel to India.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Wife and I have today decided that a three week trip to India would be a great way to celebrate our joint 50th birthdays - in fact, mine this April and hers in January. We plan to go in January 2015. We are in the early stages of planning, and will probably prefer to rely on the services of a travel consultant rather than go it alone, but does anyone have any recommendations of where to stay and what to see? Budget is c. £10k, and neither if us are pool junkies so plenty to see and do please.
    Thanks,
    S
    As you are aware, lots of different things to see in India.

Do you like to go to the mountains, or desert or to historic places. ? Are you willing to rough it out a bit, or does it have to be the 5 starred hotels only.

The traditional routes are Delhi-agra-jaipur-jaisalmer (desert), or nainital -dehradun almora etc or to nepal and bhutan (hills), or Goa and the south. You could also do all of them if you are willing to travel constantly. There are some other beautiful places but not popular on the tourist maps.

Some indications of preference could help in making suggestions.....

Feel free to pm...

Ujjwal

I love India, and have just come back from my fourth holiday there. My first was in 1993. It's a challenging place to visit but very rewarding.

I've done a northern trip (Delhi-Agra-Jaipur-Varanasi-Calcutta), a south west (Bomaby-Goa-Kerala), I spent Christmas and New Year in Goa last year, and I've just returned (a fortnight ago) from a south east trip (Hyderabad-Visakhapatnam).

All were done independently, bar the Christmas in Goa.

India's a big place and offers many things, and the time of year you want to go can dictate your plans to an extent. If you plan to go in January the north can be cold but the weather in the south is generally as perfect as you could wish for (assuming you like warm, dry and sunny).

You really need to decide what you're looking for and then ask what part of India might offer it.
    Last edited by Tony; 6th April 2014 at 18:17.

Great choice for a holiday and travel so good start. As has been mentioned, you have A LOT of choice. You could travel around India for months and still not exhaust half of it.

The temples of Tamil Nadu (State) , the hippy vibe and beaches of Goa, the lushness and waterways of Kerala, the glitz of Mumbai (Maharashtra) or the classic sandstone beauty of the 'Golden Triangle' (Delhi and up to Rajasthan via the Taj Mahal in Agra).

In three weeks, I'd pick two or three States and try and do those as well as possible - obviously not in any great depth but at least the main sites/sights those places have to offer.

It can be a challenging place to visit for the heat, volume of people and other such things, but immensely rewarding.

Amazing sights and sounds aplenty with good (often very cheap food) to sample , varying from place to place in style of cuisine. You'll see human spirit and endeavour like you won't believe.

I'm sure the good folks on here will be able to advise on an itinerary and tips on dos/don'ts once you've provided a bit more info in what you're looking for.

Hope you can come back and tell us how it all went.
    Last edited by scarto; 6th April 2014 at 23:19.

Am currently still in India flying back soon. We been a travelling here many times both backpacking and more upmarket trips. I would echo what some of the other posts have said. India is a challenging place to visit, so you need to have a think about how much challenge/adventure you want. If you are not seasoned travellers I would recommend booking some tours, staying in good hotels, but also planning a couple of short trips on your own to get the feel of the place. Do be warned India ia pretty full on ans having a nice quiet place to retire to can be a welcome refuge. Generally north india ia more hectic than the south. Trains are a nice way to travel now and again, but for long er distances the budget airlines are much better. My personal list of places to visit would be
    Amritsar (golden temple), darjeeling ( will be cold in jan), rajasthan (jaisalmer, jodhpur, udaipur (only really worth it if you book the oberoi on the lake), agra, varansai, calcutta, Mumbai (again book the oberoi) also Delhi as a good place to start off. Do book a hotel that will pick you up from the airport as many fliguts land in the middle of the night.

Places I haven't been but hear good things about ; kerala in the south, leh up in the himalayas. You may also want to look at a tiger safari in somewhere like rathrambore national park.

Personally I didn't like goa, it was just beaches and lots of brits, which fine if that is what you are looking for, but not my bag.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sorry guys, but I lost focus on this for a while so your helpful hints and questions went unanswered and I let the thread taper off. Anyway, I am now firmly back in planning mode, and currently (thanks to my good wife) I have what seems like the world's largest collection of travel brochures on the subject.

Being our first time to the country as a couple (wife has been with work a couple of times), I think we are likely to be a little conservative in our selection of accommodation - so the Oberois or similar therefore appeal. I am not normally one for organised trips, but the size and scale of what is on offer to see and experience is persuading me that a personal guide and a pre-planned itinerary is the way to go. As a first cut, I am thinking the Golden Triangle for two weeks followed by 7 days in Kerala in the south.

Further views very much appreciated.

Thanks,

S

The Golden Triangle and Kerala are certainly good destinations (I've been to both). Delhi would be too cold for me in January, but the weather in Kerala will be lovely.

One thing I would impress on you is the need to have time to relax. Believe me, getting off a plane and wizzing around northern India for two weeks is a recipe for getting pissed off with the place. I've done it, and it doesn't work well.

You need to factor in plenty of down-time, which might leave you with the question of whether a cold climate is the right place to do that. It wouldn't suit me. (You could get a hard frost in January in Delhi.)

Just something I would need to factor in anyway.

The last time I went to India (approx 4 years ago), organising a tourist visa was a right pain. I think they have risen in price to £100 and the process involves completing part of your application online, with the remainder in person or via post.

You may already be aware of the above but as nothing was mentioned, I thought I would just say anyway!

Have a great time and happy birthday x 2!

Master
    Great - we had a wonderful 3 week self-arranged tour in the south 3 years ago and have just started thinking about going back to the north, so I'll be fascinated to see how this thread goes.

A couple of comments and recommendations based on our experience (I'll do a few more when I've got a bit more time):

Yes, Goa is touristy and can be head-banging on the coastal resorts, but there are lovely places to stay away from the euro-cr@p, and the cities (e.g. Panjim and Old Goa) are well worth visiting if a visit suits.
    Lovely place to stay: http://siolimhouse.com/

Cochin is great, picturesque and handy for getting to the backwaters in Kerala:
    e.g. http://www.oldharbourhotel.com/

Master

Trip to India My Take

Just back from a 2 week trip to India. Did all the touristy bit & some.
    Either way is fine DIY or let a tour operator plan it. More hassle but cheaper if you do it yourself.
    But is it worth the hassle? Your budget is quite substantial. To put it in perspective
    My total bill via a well known travel agent/ tour operator ( my sister works for them ) was £ 800 PP. Except for Allahabad all the hotels were good.
    Mostly 3 or 4 star hotels. This included internal flights, Train and road journeys.
    I planned the trip & told the agent what I wanted. Buy the Lonely Planet Guide to India & go for it!
    If I can help PM me
    Declaration of Interest: Indian by Birth

Craftsman
    It will be a tough trip for a couple in their 50s.
    Hot, humid, dirty, upset stomachs and constant hassle from the local population.
    There are so many Indian people in the UK seeking a better life for good reason.
    I have been once, I would not return.

Craftsman
    If its your first trip,as said would stick to the south.Visas are a pain and need planning well in advance.Also may be a bit of a culture shock as even in touristy areas lots of poverty.Went to Goa a few years ago with the wife for 3 weeks and loved the place.The inlaws went a year later and hated it.

Do your research,dont expect european standards of H&S and hygiene in most places.
    Would I go back?..absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Hot, humid, dirty, upset stomachs and constant hassle from the local population.
    Difficult to argue with that (though the weather varies massively depending on time and place).

It's not for everyone.

Master
    There are so many Indian people in the UK seeking a better life for good reason.
    I'm with you.

For a three week trip I'd be looking at the far east, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokio, great food, splendid hotels, awesome watch shopping

I don't completely disagree with you but, as with anything, you've got to evaluate something for what it is. I wouldn't go to KFC for fine dining as I'd be very disappointed. If I wanted a good greasy nosh-up , I'd be pretty satisfied.

India is for those with a sense of adventure. It can be difficult yes but that's where those with a sense of adventure or who are more open-minded about creature comforts, are rewarded.

It is possible to do India 5 star all the way, moving from plush Marriott to Sheraton in air-conditioned limos but there would be little point and you'd be missing the essence of the country. I'd go to the Maldives instead.

By the way, there are significant numbers of Indians , including the younger generation, returning there to start businesses and leading very comfortable lives. It is a country where even the remotely well-off can lead those comfortable lives.

Master
    India does divide people - I suggest it is possible to avoid almost all of the negatives (apart from the visas, which are a right pain, so allow plenty of time) by a bit of research in advance.

If you like adventurous holidays and are well travelled it'll be fine. If you don't and aren't, then go elsewhere or stay at home. It's your holiday, but we're only here once and IMHO it's a great shame not to see this amazing world for ourselves solely because of others' opinions.

Southern India seems to be a lot easier than the north for first-time visitors. In our 3 weeks we had precisely no hassle from locals whatsoever. The only times anyone came up to us it was to ask if we'd like directions (and they were not using that as excuse to sell us anything or nick anything - they were delightful people wanting to be helpful). We also had no illness (although I am a public health microbiologist, for full disclosure).

Actually, the only place I've had significant hassle when travelling is in Egypt, the 3 places I've had attempts made at pickpocketing have been in Madrid, Barcelona and Stockholm (all failed because of zipped trouser pockets), and the only place I've had travellers diarrhoea was in Athens. I regularly travel to all sorts of places and have lived abroad, including in the Far East.

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    (apart from the visas, which are a right pain, so allow plenty of time)
    If you read the instructions properly you shouldn't have any problems.

I wouldn't allow too much time either because if you apply too early they'll send it back as they'll assume there's a danger of your six month visa running out before you leave, given that the visa's validity begins on the date of issue rather than the date of entry.

I'd classify India as an 'experience'. I didn't hate it, it was an adventurous place to go, but I wouldn't readily go back. I'll say it exactly how I saw it:

I stayed in both Mumbai and Kolkatta. As soon as the aircraft doors open, you'll realise you are in the third world (both the smell and the slum that overhangs the airport fence). The people and their energy/entrepreneurism/inventiveness are absolutely amazing...and there are a lot of people! It's hot and humid. I remember thinking the picture "Slumdog Millionaire" paints is quite close to what I saw in Mumbai. Driving is chaos - people will quite happily drive the opposite direction on a motorway on an overloaded and cut up wagon.

Walking the streets of Kolkatta was an eye-opener...rats, the smell of urine, people begging rolling about the pavement with no arms or legs or badly diseased, 5-year old beggars out on their own...etc... The streets felt safe though, probably because of the sheer number of people.

Curries are not the same as in the UK! Hotter and with bones in them.

I worked with some very friendly people - the head nod, bureaucracy and extremely sweet tea is something to get used to.

I felt uneasy and sad about staying in some of the most opulent hotels I've ever stayed in the world, with the extreme poverty just outside.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice, but one comment. Do not misjudge a (just) 50 year old.

Master
    Do not misjudge a (just) 50 year old.
    Indeed!

I was 56 and my wife 60 when we went, and enjoyed ourselves a lot

I do recommend staying in nice hotels or guesthouses, though, if you can afford it. If you do find the cities a bit exhausting (and who doesn't) its then good to be able to escape somewhere calm for an hour or two.

We spent 4 amazing days in Chennai (ex-Madras) seeing our daughter who was working out there: being driven across town in rush hour in a tuk-tuk is one of life's redefining experiences. Even worse than the GRA round Rome, I would say...
    Anyway, staying here was a nice antidote: http://www.raintreehotels.com/html/c...road-hotel.asp

Think about a homestay as well - some of them are great introductions to Indian life (many are on large farms and spice and tea estates, and you'll learn a lot about local agriculture). We used the earlier edition of this book and stayed in several of the recommendations, all excellent: http://www.sawdays.co.uk/bookshop/india/ind/

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice, but one comment. Do not misjudge a (just) 50 year old.
    I was 51 when I went, my days of roughing it have gone and being uncomfortable physically in an oppressive climate (hot/humid) and being constantly harangued by local people have gone. Part of enjoying being 50 is accepting you are 50 and accepting some things that were tolerable when you were 25 and you could put down to experience are no longer acceptable and tolerable.

You pays your money and your takes your chance.

f I was fortunate enough to be planning a 3 week holiday of a lifetime I would be doing a 3 centre holiday ,9 days in Phuket, 3 days in Hong Kong and 9 days in Bali. All the colour and variety you could wish for.

Visas; using a visa agent will make the visas faster and easier; takes one bit of stress away.

I've only been on work, but it is an amazing place to visit.

Sorry guys, but I lost focus on this for a while so your helpful hints and questions went unanswered and I let the thread taper off. Anyway, I am now firmly back in planning mode, and currently (thanks to my good wife) I have what seems like the world's largest collection of travel brochures on the subject.

Being our first time to the country as a couple (wife has been with work a couple of times), I think we are likely to be a little conservative in our selection of accommodation - so the Oberois or similar therefore appeal. I am not normally one for organised trips, but the size and scale of what is on offer to see and experience is persuading me that a personal guide and a pre-planned itinerary is the way to go. As a first cut, I am thinking the Golden Triangle for two weeks followed by 7 days in Kerala in the south.

Further views very much appreciated.

Thanks,

S
    This is pretty much what we done a couple of years ago. We used Trailfinders who i thought were well organised, efficient and provided excellent guides.

Tom

Edited to add:
    We looked after our own visa'a was a short trip to the Indian Visa place in Birmingham. Very easy, i wouldn't pay a great deal to have someone do it on my behalf.

Visa costs have more than doubled in the last few years. I went in 2009 when it was £35 or so. £42 in 2012. And £90+ in 2013

India is a great country. It's clearly not a Western country and therefore you will see things that you're not used to. Namely, abject poverty, sewage/trash everywhere etc.

You'll be well taken care of in plush hotels. Do try and get out into the city where locals eat and buy their clothes. You'll have a wonderful time

I was 51 when I went, my days of roughing it have gone and being uncomfortable physically in an oppressive climate (hot/humid) and being constantly harangued by local people have gone. Part of enjoying being 50 is accepting you are 50 and accepting some things that were tolerable when you were 25 and you could put down to experience are no longer acceptable and tolerable.

You pays your money and your takes your chance.
    I understand your feelings 100% but as I've got older (I'm 44 and first went to India twenty years ago) and more experienced I've found it all easier to handle (at least the people bit anyway).

I (35 years old) went for the first time last year with an organised group (indochina travel if you want a recommendation) and all the bits I expected to dislike (hassle, cleanliness etc etc) either did not exist or did not bother me. We had a superb guide and I loved everything I saw. I did the golden triangle. I'd research the time of year to go, when I went it was just after rainy season and although everything was lush there were only 5 of us on the tour and I felt it was a bit small.

Having done the tour and 'survived' I would happily organise my own trip and fancy exploring some of the other bits now.

If you're going anywhere by train, there is an agency in the UK which will sort tickets for you ( but give them 4 weeks..). The trains are amazing, well worth a go. i only did 3 hours, but still worthwhile. Like a coplete separate piece of indian culture all to itself.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    I'm with you.

For a three week trip I'd be looking at the far east, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokio, great food, splendid hotels, awesome watch shopping
    You missed out cockroaches the size of dinner plates and the abject poverty.
    There's no doubt it's a challenging place, but well worth the effort.

I’ve only been once but thoroughly enjoyed it.

It’s an overwhelming experience, everything seems “turned up to 10”: noise, traffic, people, sights, sounds, etc. I can’t offer much suggestions to the OP as I did it on a motorbike and stayed in guest houses, perhaps that contributed to not being 'constantly harangued by local people’ as I found very little of that but lots of friendliness and kindness during my time there.

The chaos of being on the roads there does require a certain mindset though. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Everyone should go to India at least once in their life. As you leave the airport there should be a massive sign that you walk under that says "Welcome to India. Suspend all disbelief" .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    T people begging rolling about the pavement with no arms or legs or badly diseased, 5-year old beggars out on their own...etc...
    It is good to hear people like Mark mention that they were able to travel India and avoid the above.

I have family who had planned to spend three weeks in the North and only managed just over half. The wife in the party found the near constant begging and young children (some who had been mutilated to make them more 'effective' beggars) too distressing and just broke down. She had travelled quite extensively but just found the experience too overwhelming. I have spent time in the third world but not India. One question I would ask myself is whether I/and my partner was able to adjust to the impact of my visited surroundings. Adventure holidays are great but not for everyone and equally, not necessarily relaxing. Only you'll know what you/your wife want and can handle. :)

Master
    If you go to India for any length of time you should feel you have the right to wear your "astronaut" wings.

Think of it as a different planet and you should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    It is good to hear people like Mark mention that they were able to travel India and avoid the above.

I have family who had planned to spend three weeks in the North and only managed just over half. The wife in the party found the near constant begging and young children (some who had been mutilated to make them more 'effective' beggars) too distressing and just broke down. She had travelled quite extensively but just found the experience too overwhelming. I have spent time in the third world but not India. One question I would ask myself is whether I/and my partner was able to adjust to the impact of my visited surroundings. Adventure holidays are great but not for everyone and equally, not necessarily relaxing. Only you'll know what you/your wife want and can handle. :)
    When I went the thing I enjoyed the most was visiting a Seikh temple. Anyone can walk in and get a meal. They serve hundreds per sitting which I think are every half an hour. Our guide also explained that there are loads of new flats being built (where I was in Delhi) and people move in and then get fed up with the commute and move back to the shacks in the centre of town. We saw babies and stuff being used by beggars and the guide reckoned the parents were probably out at work and a neighbour was baby sitting and using the kids for begging. He said when you visit the same places regularly you see the same adult with two or three different babies.

There is poverty and the disfigurement etc is horrific but I took the view that I would rather support the Seikh place so made a decent donation there and then ignored everyone else with a clear conscience.

I also surprised a few people in the party by telling hawkers I wasn't interested in and to go away. Quite abrupt but polite and as I explained to them at least they aren't wasting their time. Apparently if you say anything else at all they take it as a bargaining exercise.

I've been once, and it really wasn't for me.
    I was lucky enough to go 5 star all the way, which was a great experience in itself.
    It wasn't so much the poverty per se that was a problem for me, but the contrast between the rich and poor.....literally stepping over people on the pavement outside my plush hotel.
    I've travelled extensively, and the touts, beggars etc, usually leave me alone.....in India they seemed quite determined to spend their entire day blocking my path.

I did an overland expedition through Afghanistan, Khyber, Pakistan and down through India. I loved India... happy people generally and happy with their lot. Of course see all the usual sites. You'll never see anything like the Taj, Golden Temple, etc. I slept rough all the way but what an experience. I'll never forget it.

Rod

Craftsman
    I travel to india about 6 times a year for business ,and have travelled quite extensively there but i would recommend west bengal Kolkata and then up to Darjeeling it is like experiencing living history ,but do plan ahead and only stay in 5 star hotels would be my recommendation,i do agree with another post that everybody should experience india once,enjoy your trip,one other thing don't pay a third party to get your visa its very easy at the indian embassy to do it your self.

tony

I too am curious about travelling there, its just the insane hygiene / food conditions that set me back the most.. wouldnt want to be constantly on the lookout for the condition of every piece of meal i put in my mouth

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    I too am curious about travelling there, its just the insane hygiene / food conditions that set me back the most.. wouldnt want to be constantly on the lookout for the condition of every piece of meal i put in my mouth
    Follow a few basic rules and you don't need to .

Master

Don't eat cut fruit Don't eat raw veg or salad unless you've washed it yourself.
    Only drink bottled water , even brush your teeth with it.
    Avoid milk even if it says its pasteurised.

Eat small meals , your system can cope with pretty much any bacteria as long as you don't overload it.
    The more food you eat the more bacteria you are shoving into your system , go beyond that tipping point and you'll get sick. The trick is to only eat what you need and no more.

There are a few places I'll happily stuff my face in but they are all very high end.

I haven't been ill in India for years by following this advice , not even a cold.

High end is no guarantee of food safety. In actual fact, can be quite the opposite.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    High end is no guarantee of food safety. In actual fact, can be quite the opposite.
    They are high end I've been eating in for over 5 years in Mumbai. Things like steak and shellfish. I wouldn't go anywhere near that outside those places in India.

Follow a few basic rules and you don't need to .
    Well, i wouldnt call the advice below "a few basic rules".. it sounds pretty scary when put this way..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Don't eat cut fruit Don't eat raw veg or salad unless you've washed it yourself.
    Only drink bottled water , even brush your teeth with it.
    Avoid milk even if it says its pasteurised.

Eat small meals , your system can cope with pretty much any bacteria as long as you don't overload it.
    The more food you eat the more bacteria you are shoving into your system , go beyond that tipping point and you'll get sick. The trick is to only eat what you need and no more.

There are a few places I'll happily stuff my face in but they are all very high end.

I haven't been ill in India for years by following this advice , not even a cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    They are high end I've been eating in for over 5 years in Mumbai. Things like steak and shellfish. I wouldn't go anywhere near that outside those places in India.
    One of my rules is not to eat any meat ( and by extension fish, shellfish etc ) whenever I'm there. Immediately cuts down the risk factor.

Well, i wouldnt call the advice below "a few basic rules".. it sounds pretty scary when put this way..
    The rules are not scary , they are reassuring . It's just common sense.

The main thing is don't trust any water unless you are reasonably sure it is safe.

Safe means : you know it has been boiled or treated.

Check any seals thoroughly on any bottled water.

It also means exercising caution when washing : try not to let water pass through soft membranes ie keep it out of your eyes etc.

Master
    You want to do all you can to avoid overloading your system with bacteria in India. Trust me I've seen colleagues hospitalised. India is a proper adventure and chaotic but it does have its downsides.

I highly recommend using Citricidal to help prevent food poisoning etc, a few drops taken in some liquid a couple of times a day... Amazing stuff.

Master
    One of my rules is not to eat any meat ( and by extension fish, shellfish etc ) whenever I'm there. Immediately cuts down the risk factor.
    Can't do that I'm there for months at a time , I need chicken and eggs pretty much every day and a steak at least once a month.

Hakassan is great ( one in Mumbai been going to for years) , Wasabi is decent for sushi , Indigo Deli is good for most things even salads , Saltwater Cafe is also decent. Yau Atcha alos good. Mumbia is ironically not so good for Indian food. Get better Indian food in London. Hyderabad gets you the best Biryiani in the world though.

Goa is just crazy ...beautiful fresh seafood cooked in front of you , crazy cheap and I mean crazy , I usually left 100% tips as I felt guilty the bill was so low. 20p for a beer.

My favourite is Hotel Saravana Bhavan , a middle class food chain that specialises in Southern Indian. My only regret going there is that I can't fit in more! Dosa, idli, killer lassi
    There are two branches in Delhi around CP , one to the north just outside the outer circle and one to the south, on Janpath I think

Master
    Dont trust water
    Shower mouth closed
    Go vegi
    Use gel b4 any meal
    Dont buy from the roadside
    Dont touch , hold bannisters unless you need to
    Dont rub your eyes, wipe your mouth with your hand outside

Even with all of this you will still get the shits....

Lastly as i was tought by a pro who traded in India, take a shot of whisky before every meal, it corterizes the bacteria and boy does it make you feel good , if you have 6 meals a day.