closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Football... Does less frequent success mean you enjoy it more?

Blog Entries

Football... Does less frequent success mean you enjoy it more?

Well... A big Leicester city fan checking in this morning...

Brilliant feeling yesterday when leicester got promoted back to the prem for the first time in a decade. My 11 year old son has never watched prem league football and I can't wait to bring the big guns to the KP stadium nex season... Wahoo!!

Following a team such as leicester means you take your pleasures where you can (play offs v Crystal palace, league cup v Boro and Tranmere). These points of celebration in 35 years of following leicester are few and far between...

I was out walking with some mates last year one of whom is a Man Utd fan (actually from Manchester in fairness) and he was bemoaning the fact that they'd only won the prem and had not done that well in other competitions (a slightly different perspective this year)... Which leads to the question, can you really enjoy success as much when you support a successful team? Does your expectation for success mean that when it arrives you can't savour it as much? Being a city fan means that I've endured nasty lows (relegation to the third tier), I think moments such as yesterday for me are all the sweeter for that experience... Now the big four or five simply expect home victories to be served up every other week, can they enjoy it as much when they do win?

Cheeky picture thrown in for good measure!

Well done to Leicester.

I agree with your premise BTW.

I think that supporting a team that is not one of the superstars is much more pleasurable when the occasional bit of glory happens as opposed to the massive clubs expecting cups, the league etc every season and thinking it a failure if they don't appear.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I think the premise is spot-on. I have supported a yo-yo club here in Denmark constantly going up and down. When the success is there it's just so much sweeter than if it was expected, in my opinion obviously.

About Leicester: Do you think Schmeichel will stay with the club now that they've been promoted? A lot of talking heads here in Denmark seem to think he will be playing for another Premiership club once the new season starts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeppeRober View Post
    About Leicester: Do you think Schmeichel will stay with the club now that they've been promoted? A lot of talking heads here in Denmark seem to think he will be playing for another Premiership club once the new season starts.
    Until yesterday I would have said no... He'd been linked with AC Milan... However, he was talking about his excitement at the prospect of playing at Old Trafford with Leicester next season. Ones thing is for sure, no contact = big pay day for him :D... We also need to sign sir Nigel Pearson up too!!!

Blog Entries
    Try being me I followed Luton since the late 1970,s seen the glory days and the dark days , wear we are there is only one way to go up, unlike the top clubs only one way to go down lol , love seeing clubs progress from the lower league,s they seem to want it more better football in my eyes , well done Leicester

Journeyman

Well done Foxes

The trouble is what happens next season.
    Would you rather the excitement, and battling out for promotion in the championship, or the inevitable mid table at best/relaxation battle of next season in the prem?

I know when my side (bristol city) we're on the cusp of promotion back in 2007, a part of me was worried if they should be promoted- all the johnny come lately's, the season struggle and the inevitable relaxation after a season or two. BUT, I guess we support our sides in the hope of promotions, cup runs, and I'm sure every fan would want to see their side compete against the big four/five

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonbed View Post
    The trouble is what happens next season.
    Would you rather the excitement, and battling out for promotion in the championship, or the inevitable mid table at best/relaxation battle of next season in the prem?

I know when my side (bristol city) we're on the cusp of promotion back in 2007, a part of me was worried if they should be promoted- all the johnny come lately's, the season struggle and the inevitable relaxation after a season or two. BUT, I guess we support our sides in the hope of promotions, cup runs, and I'm sure every fan would want to see their side compete against the big four/five
    I know exactly what you mean... We've been on fire this season and it's been great fun watching us sweep all before us... It will not be the same next season. However, you have to dream that you can start to compete with the big boys... We've got a nice team now, a few quid in the bank and the potential to really compete... Who knows?!!!

One thing is for sure you'll never get another East Midlands team being crowned champions...

Craftsman
    Well done Leicester - well deserved from what I have seen.

Its a great feeling when your team gives you hope for the future - well that`s what I have been told - being a Newcastle supporter I have never been so devoid of hope. What is worst I predicted a 3-0 defeat yesterday and we conceded the 4th in injury time

We must be the worst team in the Premier League at the moment and if I hadn`t already signed up for next year I`d be giving it all up.

I suspect you will do OK next year, but you will have to try to make it up to St James`s. It may be your last chance to see premier league football up there as we will be relegated unless Mike Ashley has a massive change of strategy

Master
    Expectations change depending on the quality of the side, I think.
    As a City fan, a couple of seasons ago I was happy with a top 10 finish and taking a couple of points off United - that was the MCFC season high if we didn't get beat by them. These days with a few quid behind us and a good side, it's frustrating if we have a season where we don't win a trophy.

Then again, City are a bad example - we can leather Arsenal 4-0 one week and then get a drubbing from Wigan the week after. It's never plain sailing on the blue side of Manchester.

Master
    As a Burnley fan I agree, less frequent success certainly means you enjoy the moment more. Hopefully we'll be joining you in the big league shortly! Both of us have been the best two teams in the league by some distance IMO. The unpredictable nature of football is what makes it so exciting, I don't understand these 'glory hunters'.

Master
    As a Yeovil fan we have been punching above our weight for a while, this season in the championship has been a blast, the trip to Wembley for the play offs last season was special, my other team is man u and watching them lift the league trophy or the fa cup in the past can't hold a candle to the play off final.
    Success should be earnt not bought or taken for granted.

I'm enjoying todays success Champions League here we come!

I go to Arsenal, I sit near fans who manage to take no pleasure from a win because "we should be beating teams like that".

One old bloke manages to moan in the aftermath of a gaol because xxx didn't hit it properly....hit it too well...you get the drift.

Hopefully we'll win the cup (though I'm becoming less and less confident) but that won't be enough for some because it won't form part of a quadruple.

Talk about being spoilt.

Congrats at getting promoted, enjoy the celebrations and next season.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    I go to Arsenal, I sit near fans who manage to take no pleasure from a win because "we should be beating teams like that".

One old bloke manages to moan in the aftermath of a gaol because xxx didn't hit it properly....hit it too well...you get the drift.

Hopefully we'll win the cup (though I'm becoming less and less confident) but that won't be enough for some because it won't form part of a quadruple.

Talk about being spoilt.

Congrats at getting promoted, enjoy the celebrations and next season.
    This , all day long.
    I never thought City fans , who have witnessed plenty of dirge over the last three and a half decades, would become some of the most smacked arse , spoilt whingers since the club became successful. As fans we were always well known for having a good sense of humour in following the club but now , a number seem to be happy only when they are complaining.
    Yesterday, Dzeko "was shite", Yaya Toure " useless and lazy" ! Samir Nasri " a waste of money and time" etc etc

...I was toying whether or not to post on this thread...being a Fulham fan for best part of 30 years! There are highs and lows for all but a very few stellar clubs, perhaps constant winning breeds contempt? I certainly couldn't possibly comment....but for the first time in many months I sat and watched MOTD last night, woke up this morning without the sense of gloom that normally cloaks me on a Sunday morning.
    All I would say to the OP, you have a good footballing team now (having seen how your boys knocked FFC out of the League Cup), so enjoy the winning.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickMSM View Post
    As a Burnley fan I agree, less frequent success certainly means you enjoy the moment more. Hopefully we'll be joining you in the big league shortly! Both of us have been the best two teams in the league by some distance IMO. The unpredictable nature of football is what makes it so exciting, I don't understand these 'glory hunters'.

You'll go up no problem... Will you keep Ings and Volks though?

It was a great disappoint that you had all the injuries when we played at yours, as you've said two best teams in the league and it would have been nice to see us go toe to toe with a full compliment of players... Best of luck next year!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    As a Yeovil fan we have been punching above our weight for a while, this season in the championship has been a blast, the trip to Wembley for the play offs last season was special, my other team is man u and watching them lift the league trophy or the fa cup in the past can't hold a candle to the play off final.
    Success should be earnt not bought or taken for granted.
    I felt so bad for Yeovil at ours, you played so well and deserved the win on balance,,, That final goal was devastating for you...

http://youtu.be/8ckJuRWO2hU

Hope you stay up...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Expectations change depending on the quality of the side, I think.
    As a City fan, a couple of seasons ago I was happy with a top 10 finish and taking a couple of points off United - that was the MCFC season high if we didn't get beat by them. These days with a few quid behind us and a good side, it's frustrating if we have a season where we don't win a trophy.

Then again, City are a bad example - we can leather Arsenal 4-0 one week and then get a drubbing from Wigan the week after. It's never plain sailing on the blue side of Manchester.
    Hiya Kev!

You boys have earnt your stripes... You had massive crowds in the third division

I guess expectations have changed somewhat...!!!

It was such a lovely story for Dave Wheelan and Wigan... You couldn't begrudge them that?!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim63 View Post
    All I would say to the OP, you have a good footballing team now (having seen how your boys knocked FFC out of the League Cup), so enjoy the winning.....
    Really enjoying it, but, just as importantly not taking it for granted... With us yo yo clubs, these things tend to be cyclical!!! I saw you on MOTD last night and you looked good! I can't wait for Mr Lineker to be entirely partisan next year!!!

I agree, without reservation.

And I'm also a City fan.

It was my home town before we came down sarth.
    I'm old enough to remember Keith Weller's goal of the season.
    And Frank Worthington, strolling around the pitch long after his sell by date.
    And then that new lad Lineker, more recently.
    Whatever happened to him - I heard he made something of himself in the game ?

As for the Tranmere game - I waited the whole of my life for that trophy.
    I cried in the pub.
    Well. I had low expectations after the 69 Man City nightmare.

So, all in all, I think it's much better to have the lows and the highs.

Which is just as well for a City supporter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    I agree, without reservation.

And I'm also a City fan.

It was my home town before we came down sarth.
    I'm old enough to remember Keith Weller's goal of the season.
    And Frank Worthington, strolling around the pitch long after his sell by date.
    And then that new lad Lineker, more recently.
    Whatever happened to him - I heard he made something of himself in the game ?

As for the Tranmere game - I waited the whole of my life for that trophy.
    I cried in the pub.
    Well. I had low expectations after the 69 Man City nightmare.

So, all in all, I think it's much better to have the lows and the highs.

Which is just as well for a City supporter.
    Lineker... Who he?

Do your remember Keith Wellers tights?!!! (I was tiny!!!)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Really enjoying it, but, just as importantly not taking it for granted... With us yo yo clubs, these things tend to be cyclical!!! I saw you on MOTD last night and you looked good! I can't wait for Mr Lineker to be entirely partisan next year!!!
    You're not that fat drummer are you?

Lineker... Who he?

No, I can't remember any tights.
    I was a youngster, as well.
    I ilked watching the goal of the season over and over though -
    They might have used it in the intro sequence for "Grandstand" afterwards ?
    Or is that one pair of rose-tinted glasses too far ?

Grand Master
    I'm a Leeds fan, I deserve your sympathy! I have to say it's never been boring since we imploded under Ridsdale, but here's hoping yesterday's news is a new dawn not another false dawn - there have been so many we Leodsians don't know day from night anymore!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Congrats to Leicester.really tough league to win outright. Although a Liverpool fan, I really love to see success for teams like Wigan last season, and hope cash injection for Leicester will be used wisely.

Master
    As a Blackburn fan i hope you do unlike some of the muppets i know.I have followed Blackburn from the the old 3rd division to PL winners and it's a shame but i don't think any team being promoted nowadays has any chance of winning the PL in the first few years unlike the good old days when Derby and Nott Forrest achieved it under Brian Clough.

Well done Leicester, i was at Wembley in 1992 when we won the play off final and you played us off the field but your fans at the end were a credit to the club.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    As a Blackburn fan i hope you do unlike some of the muppets i know.I have followed Blackburn from the the old 3rd division to PL winners and it's a shame but i don't think any team being promoted nowadays has any chance of winning the PL in the first few years unlike the good old days when Derby and Nott Forrest achieved it under Brian Clough.

Well done Leicester, i was at Wembley in 1992 when we won the play off final and you played us off the field but your fans at the end were a credit to the club.
    David Speedie... Still feels raw!!!

Congratulations for getting into the premiership from a Brighton season ticket holder. It's in the makeup of a fan to suffer and moan especially if from a smaller club so grab the fleeting moments of joy, they are fewer so will be appreciated more. Next year for us!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    No, I can't remember any tights.
    I was a youngster, as well.
    I ilked watching the goal of the season over and over though -
    They might have used it in the intro sequence for "Grandstand" afterwards ?
    Or is that one pair of rose-tinted glasses too far ?
    Weller in his fetching white tights... Caused quite a stir at the time!

One of our best ever players... Just for you... (Including his goal of the season!!!)

http://youtu.be/gznh2NVLric
    Last edited by Wolfie; 6th April 2014 at 21:02.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    You're not that fat drummer are you?
    Might be?!!!

Craftsman
    Might be?!!!
    Keep off the walkers.

Master
    You'll go up no problem... Will you keep Ings and Volks though?

It was a great disappoint that you had all the injuries when we played at yours, as you've said two best teams in the league and it would have been nice to see us go toe to toe with a full compliment of players... Best of luck next year!
    Thanks, yes it was a shame as it spoilt the game really! I'm sure Ings will stay should we be promoted, as for Vokes he'll be lucky to be back in action at all next season after a bad cruciate knee rupture. Really feel for the bloke, he has worked his socks off this season and proven all (and there were many) his doubters wrong hitting 20 for the first time in his career. Hopefully he'll be back next season as it'll be a crying shame if he misses out. I think players like Kieran Trippier will really do well in the PL. I wouldn't be surprised if we both stay up, both have excellent managers who are organised and get the best out of their players. From what I've seen, the bottom 6-7 sides in the PL don't look anything special so I don't think either side should hold any fear. It's never easy though!

Master
    I would agree with the original post. But let's face it it is only human nature to take success for granted. But as City (of the Leicester variety being born and bred just outside the city) fan it is hard to believe it is 10 years since the top flight. It has also been a roller coaster of managers, relegation to League One, false dawns, heatr break and finally now promotion and stability. So if you can't enjoy a journey from the lowest ebb to arguably the highest when can you?

Blog Entries
    Thanks, yes it was a shame as it spoilt the game really! I'm sure Ings will stay should we be promoted, as for Vokes he'll be lucky to be back in action at all next season after a bad cruciate knee rupture. Really feel for the bloke, he has worked his socks off this season and proven all (and there were many) his doubters wrong hitting 20 for the first time in his career. Hopefully he'll be back next season as it'll be a crying shame if he misses out. I think players like Kieran Trippier will really do well in the PL. I wouldn't be surprised if we both stay up, both have excellent managers who are organised and get the best out of their players. From what I've seen, the bottom 6-7 sides in the PL don't look anything special so I don't think either side should hold any fear. It's never easy though!
    Ouch.. Didn't realise he was so badly injured, that's terrible for him/ Burnley... I saw it on the telly and it looked rather innocuous (sometimes the worst?)

Trippier is probably your best player from what I've seen... Deffinitley prem quality

Agreed regarding the prem.... Outside the top 6, I would back ourselves against any of them... Exciting times at leicester... I think a few shocks could be on the cards...

Will watch your progress with interest next season too (we'll both be last on MOTD irrespective of performances anyway!!!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    I'm a Leeds fan, I deserve your sympathy! I have to say it's never been boring since we imploded under Ridsdale, but here's hoping yesterday's news is a new dawn not another false dawn - there have been so many we Leodsians don't know day from night anymore!

Mate.

I share your pain.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations to the OP and to Leicester. I look forward to travelling there next year when we play you. As a Chelsea supporter (home and away season ticket) since 1970, I can totally relate to your point. We won the FA Cup in 70 and the European Cup Winners' Cup the following year but then, nothing of any note until the 1997 FA Cup. In the last ten years, I've noticed that it's not just the Johnny-come-Lately fans that have a huge air of expectation about them but, sadly, also some of the older generation that have had their heads turned. Don't get me wrong, I've loved every minute of success we've achieved but I very much view every trophy as a huge bonus. Enjoy the premiership and the rest of the season!

Congratulations Wolfie and Leicester City. And I certainly agree with the premise that success is all the more enjoyable the less frequent it is.

And as a Doncaster Rovers supporter I know that better than most.

Promoted to the second tier of English football as 3rd Division (North) champions, in the season of my birth, with the highest number of wins in a season in English football, (33, a record we still hold) and the highest number of points in any division under the old 2 for a win and 1 for a draw system.

Since then it's been a roller-coaster ride of lows and highs for us.

Our lowest point came in the 1997/98 season when we were relegated to the conference after our then Chairman hired three people to set fire to the main stand at our Belle View ground so he could claim on the insurance; for which he was deservedly sent to prison. He also tried to sell the ground, even though the club didn't actually own it! On the last match of that fateful season fans carried a coffin to the ground as we all expected the club to fold as we were well and truly broke.

But we survived, thanks to a local entrepreneur and fan who put a lot of his personal fortune into the club.

Failure and success followed, in roughly equal measure; but five years in the conference, relegations and failed promotion attempts, (when promotion looked nailed on), were offset by beating Bristol Rovers in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final at the Millennium Stadium, promotion to the Championship after beating Leeds United in the Wembley Play Off final, and those incredible 18 seconds in the last match of the 2012/13 season away at Brentford. The last seconds of the game, the score is nil - nil, and all we have to do is Draw to be promoted........................ Win and we're champions.................. Loose, Brentford go up and we're in the play-offs

If you haven't seen what happened then it's well worth a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4SK8PP-UP8 and why I wouldn't swap my DRFC roller-coaster ride for anything the top Premiership Cubs who expect to win every week could offer.

Good luck next season Wolfie, enjoy the ride. Oh, and I'm happy that we were one of the few clubs to beat you this season.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Congratulations to Leicester and Kasper Schmeichel is particular. He was excellent in the one season he played for Notts County. As a Notts fan I think I'm pretty much an expert on this subject. I started supporting Notts in 1989. We were in the old Division 3. We won the playoff that year then won the playoff again the next to reach Division 1 in its last season (1991-92). Sadly we were relegated so missed out on the first year of the Premier League. I'm in my 25th season of supporting Notts and have seen them in the following divisions

L1: 1st Division/Premier League: 1 season
    L2: 2nd Division/1st Division/Championship: 4 seasons
    L3: 3rd Division/2nd Division/League 1: 13 seasons
    L4: 4th Division/3rd Division/League 2: 7 seasons

1989-90 Division 3 (L3) Playoff Champions
    1990-91 Division 2 (L2) Playoff Champions
    1993-94 Anglo-Italian Cup Runners Up
    1994-95 Anglo-Italian Cup Winners
    1997-98 Division 3 (L4) Champions
    2009-10 League 2 (L4) Champions

That means I've seen 4 promotions and 4 relegations as well as 1 minor cup win. I've seen 28 managers (including caretakers) and 5 owners. We are currently fighting to avoid relegation back to the bottom division.

Less frequent success does make you savour the good times. It also becomes very wearing after a while. I stopped going regularly to Notts matches in 2003. Between 1989 and 2003 I went to over 300 matches, home and away. Since then I've only been to a handful. Real life (getting married and having kids) became more important than football.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin123 View Post
    Congratulations for getting into the premiership from a Brighton season ticket holder. Next year for us!!!
    In your dreams! You're almost as good as us at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

Master
    Hiya Kev!

It was such a lovely story for Dave Wheelan and Wigan... You couldn't begrudge them that?!!!

Dear Wolfie.
    F*** off.

Love, Kev.

Weller in his fetching white tights... Caused quite a stir at the time!

One of our best ever players... Just for you... (Including his goal of the season!!!)

http://youtu.be/gznh2NVLric
    Many thanks, Wolfie - I think it's even better than i remembered !
    Let's hope we get some more of that spirit next season.

They reckon he only started wearing them after his wife found them stuffed down the back seat of his car. His excuse was that they were part of his new training kit.

Good to see another Midland club back even if you are from the the wrong side of the Midlands!
    You will enjoy your trip to Villa Park every other team seems to these days.
    I say that in the hope we will not be swopping places.Well done .
    Dave.

Congratulations.

As a Wigan fan I am not sure the premiership is the ultimate prize. We enjoyed our time there but I don't know a fan that hasn't enjoyed this season ( at least since rossler arrived ) more.

Yes the FA cup has helped, and I want to get back via the play-offs, but it is nice going to games expecting to see good football, goals and wins, rather than fighting for 4th from bottom!

Unfortunately for clubs like us we need premiership money, or parachute payments to be competitive!

Good luck in the premiership , I mean it, there are a few clubs up there who are less deserving. I hope you will be able to keep playing the same way!

Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Congratulations Wolfie and Leicester City. And I certainly agree with the premise that success is all the more enjoyable the less frequent it is.

And as a Doncaster Rovers supporter I know that better than most.

Promoted to the second tier of English football as 3rd Division (North) champions, in the season of my birth, with the highest number of wins in a season in English football, (33, a record we still hold) and the highest number of points in any division under the old 2 for a win and 1 for a draw system.

Since then it's been a roller-coaster ride of lows and highs for us.

Our lowest point came in the 1997/98 season when we were relegated to the conference after our then Chairman hired three people to set fire to the main stand at our Belle View ground so he could claim on the insurance; for which he was deservedly sent to prison. He also tried to sell the ground, even though the club didn't actually own it! On the last match of that fateful season fans carried a coffin to the ground as we all expected the club to fold as we were well and truly broke.

But we survived, thanks to a local entrepreneur and fan who put a lot of his personal fortune into the club.

Failure and success followed, in roughly equal measure; but five years in the conference, relegations and failed promotion attempts, (when promotion looked nailed on), were offset by beating Bristol Rovers in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final at the Millennium Stadium, promotion to the Championship after beating Leeds United in the Wembley Play Off final, and those incredible 18 seconds in the last match of the 2012/13 season away at Brentford. The last seconds of the game, the score is nil - nil, and all we have to do is Draw to be promoted........................ Win and we're champions.................. Loose, Brentford go up and we're in the play-offs

If you haven't seen what happened then it's well worth a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4SK8PP-UP8 and why I wouldn't swap my DRFC roller-coaster ride for anything the top Premiership Cubs who expect to win every week could offer.

Good luck next season Wolfie, enjoy the ride. Oh, and I'm happy that we were one of the few clubs to beat you this season.
    What a great story Peter..., you've certainly been through it!!!

See you last match of the season... Let's see if you can do the double ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Dear Wolfie.
    F*** off.

Love, Kev.

Ha ha!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markl View Post
    Congratulations.

As a Wigan fan I am not sure the premiership is the ultimate prize. We enjoyed our time there but I don't know a fan that hasn't enjoyed this season ( at least since rossler arrived ) more.

Yes the FA cup has helped, and I want to get back via the play-offs, but it is nice going to games expecting to see good football, goals and wins, rather than fighting for 4th from bottom!

Unfortunately for clubs like us we need premiership money, or parachute payments to be competitive!

Good luck in the premiership , I mean it, there are a few clubs up there who are less deserving. I hope you will be able to keep playing the same way!

Mark
    Becareful what you which for eh?!!!

It's been so much fun watching us this year... We've been sooooo good to watch, I hope that we can compete up in the prem? The best team I've ever seen has to be O'Neil's side, bit, this is the most exciting

We'll see!!!

You must know my mate Barmy Parsons Wolfie?
    Being a life long Southend United fan it is hard for me to share in your feelings. I have witnessed a few promotions, high point's

A 2-2 at the Liberty Stadium getting promotion with Swansea in 2006 (look where they are now!)
    Beating Manchester United in the League cup Rooney et al.
    Beating Newcastle 5-1 going top of the old 2nd Division (Ozzie Ardilles was sacked the next day)

3 Millium Stadium visits only one victory over Lincoln City.
    1 Wembley appearance defeat to Crewe

Not much to shout about since 1964!

Craftsman
    Weymouth FC. Fan here
    Any follower of lower level football will laugh at that thought
    The idea of following a winning team seems so far removed from reality to us mere mortals here.
    But no matter where we play a coach load of fans turn up and cheer wildly and never lose the faith.
    When I first became a director I was led by the ideal that all we really want as fans is to be wandering home with a smile on our face at 4.55 on at least 50% of match days....
    A few years down the line and I would sell my soul for say 25% ....
    Another season of financial chaos and woes has led to mid table mediocrity and it sums up the last ten years for the Terras when you realise that is a result we only dreamed of last August.