closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So, if the UK is going down the pan, where do you go?

Master
    The only place abroad I've preferred to home that I've been to(3 times) was Cape Town .
    Too dangerous there nowadays so that's out.
    Will probably look to do 6 mts in Portugal and 6 months at home when retired.
    Dublin was another place I could live though maybe too expensive as retirement looms in a few years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Isn't the need for housing due to the increased tendency for people to live alone?

As far a Britain 'going down the tubes', I think if you were to spend less time watching the News, reading newspapers, and listening to the doom mongers in the Bear Pit, you'd be a lot more positive about things. You could stop worrying about immigration, and start worrying about the important things, like able bodied people parking in Disabled spaces.

For want of a better place to put it, I discovered the other day that my 9 year old son is learning French at school (every other week, alternating with Religious Indoctrination Education), with a side helping of Polish and Lithuanian.
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    And hasn’t that just been a roaring success, well done you.
    Must be delighted?
    I think it would have been a greater success if the government had handled it properly

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    The only place abroad I've preferred to home that I've been to(3 times) was Cape Town .
    Too dangerous there nowadays so that's out.
    Will probably look to do 6 mts in Portugal and 6 months at home when retired.
    Dublin was another place I could live though maybe too expensive as retirement looms in a few years.
    Lucky you - EU passport I assume for 6 months in Portugal ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    The grass is always greener....

Even the countries very popular with emigrants such as Spain have their own problems, which very often you don't realise because you're not bombarded with them in UK news every day. There are many who live in Spain in ignorance simply because they don't speak the language (or not to a high enough level to pick up the nuances). It doesn't mean problems like inequality, racial tensions etc don't exist and some, such as employment/opportunity are a great deal worse than UK.
    Spain has things right, but just as many that are worse than UK. Their taxation/inheritance regime (for those not in the "rich enough to hire tax accountants/lawyers" bracket) is significantly worse than UK for accumulation of family/generational wealth to name just one example.

Whilst I can't deny that the UK has got signficiantly worse over the years, particularly politics and standards, it's a fool who believes that hasn't happened everywhere to more or less extent.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Whilst I can't deny that the UK has got signficiantly worse over the years, particularly politics and standards, it's a fool who believes that hasn't happened everywhere to more or less extent.
    +1....but try telling that to the habitual Brit-bashers who frequent these threads!

Journeyman
    back to 1983 please

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Lucky you - EU passport I assume for 6 months in Portugal ?
    Fair point I'll dig up an Irish Grandfather or reverse the trend and settle in Albania-It's cheap I've heard.

Don’t know about moving abroad but I’d take going back to 2014…

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1....but try telling that to the habitual Brit-bashers who frequent these threads!
    Almost a forum tradition tbh.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    Of course some of them don’t even live in the UK but still speak with authority about how bad it is in their not so humble opinion.
    Ironically, the ones that gob off incessantly about it.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I think it would have been a greater success if the government had handled it properly
    I think it would have been a greater success if they’d not touched it at all. (Brexit that is)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    I think it would have been a greater success if they’d not touched it at all. (Brexit that is)
    I’d go with that. Should have stayed away.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 8th December 2022 at 00:55.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

We live in San Diego (U.S.) where the climate is near perfect. We love our life here, except for the very high cost of living. We were lucky to have bought our current house brand new in 1999. The value has grown 4x to 5x since then. The raging right-wing political forces here in the U.S. are cause for concern. BTW, I don't feel unsafe in the U.S. despite the mass shootings, which actually only directly affect <0.01% of the population.

If I were to pick another country in which to live, I think it would be New Zealand (Auckland?), though I've never been there (or to Oz).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Don’t know about moving abroad but I’d take going back to 2014…
    Mmm, why 2014? Not Brexit related is it *yawn*