closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool FC - can they do it???

Master
    Blog Entries

Liverpool FC - can they do it???

Supported Liverpool since I was a nipper, think I was about 10 when they last won the title so this is all starting to get a bit surreal to be honest.

Been looking on the positive side for the last month but deep down thought they may have slipped up by now, even with Man Utd falling apart I was still cautious the other week at OT and today I had a bad feeling but it ended up a walk in the park.

Anyhow after today I'm really starting to believe we can beat City and Chelsea at Anfield, this week Anfield has reminded me of the great European nights. Tottenham looked pretty much defeated when they walked out.

Putting support aside I think Liverpool winning the Premiership would be a victory for football in general with the squad Brendan has had to work with, looking at the bench shows they have little in depth and money squandered on mediocre signings e.g. Moses, Aspas and co

Regardless of who wins it, I can't remember the Premier League run in being this exciting for a long time

I think they will win in. Unbelievable turnaround - saw them twice at the Emirates this season and both times Arsenal looked a class apart however Liverpool have just got better and better and have all the momentum.

Yes, I think Chelsea have burnt out ...if the Reds beat Man City it is theirs to lose. Keeping Suarez last season (after his biting incident), was a master stroke. It would have so easy to have got rid of him.
    Spurs sold Bale and look very poor.
    Rodgers is a fantastic tactitian.
    Last edited by wildheart; 30th March 2014 at 23:04.

I hope so.Chelsea and City still to go to Anfield.Get a decent result on those days its ours.

Its been a long timing coming,7th last season potentially champions this season.Brendan Rodgers is class.
    Last edited by itsgotournameonit; 30th March 2014 at 23:04.

I hope they do ! (dont support them) .Chelsea and City have had such huge cash injections from billionaires ,so surely Liverpool deserve it more.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Yes, I think Chelsea have burnt out ...if the Reds beat Man City it is theirs to lose. Keeping Suarez last season (after his biting incident), was a master stroke. It would have so easy to have got rid of him.
    Spurs sold Bale and look very poor.
    Rogers is a fantastic tactitian.
    This. Their ability to operate in several formations and still win games is pretty unique. Whoever wins the Liverpool v Citeh game will win the league.

I hate to say it but I did say from the start that LFC would surprise a few people this season. Did I believe they'd be competing for the title? Yes. Most would've laughed.

Even for the neutrals, you'd have to admit they are playing some superb football and dismantling supposedly top teams with ease. This, combined with a healthy dose of English players, an explosive strike force (with probably the best player in the World this year), entertaining football and an astute 'n' classy manager would make them justified champions. It is still in their hands. The City game is probably the biggest game of the season and will decide the title.

Rodgers is true Liverpool material in the Shankly mould. Clever, eloquent, dignified and above all, knows his football inside out and exactly what he wants and what he's doing. I hope he stays for decades.

The crowd is magnificent - even by our standards - and they are intimidating the opposition into submission from the start.

The last time things felt like this was in 2005 when destiny brought LFC the Champions League against all the odds.

It may just be the same this year.

YNWA.

They had a blip around the New Year but since then have powered their way back playing great football. I think that can do it, always a great bunch of supporters and although they have spent money it's not been at the levels of Man Utd, City or Chelsea.

Not a Liverpool supporter, but I hope they win it.

Two big games remaining that will decide the title. Love to see Henderson and the mig get some glory as ex Sunderland lads

Master
    Not a Liverpool fan but think it would be great of they did although city are very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    Not a Liverpool supporter, but I hope they win it.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And its brilliant to see the league not being dominated by one team this year, kind of makes football interesting again.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I'd rather Liverpool won it rather than those overblown squillionaires teams in blue.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

+1. And Suarez is my man.

I feared for Liverpool before the start of the season. BR's tactics sometimes were questionable and it was too much intricate passing with no penetration. I feared they might well become a 6th - 8th placed team for the next few years (although not relegated as HoneyFB had predicted).

They made a good start to the year and I thought that if they could be within 4 points of the 4th place at Christmas then they would have a chance of getting that last CL place. It was a bonus that they were top at Christmas, but losing against Man City and Chelsea pushed them back down to 4th. After a disappointing performance against Villa (and later West Brom) I really believed they would struggle against Spurs, Everton, Arsenal and Man Utd but Liverpool seemed to be possessed in these games.

To win the next 6 games in a row is massive ask, and maybe a bridge too far for them. However, they've really done all Liverpool fans proud with their attacking play and fearless attitude. If they can get a few more quality players in the summer (especially to firm up the iffy defence) and keep Suarez, then they will be even more of a force next year.

I'd like Liverpool to win the Prem because I'd like to see Gerrard, Sturridge and Johnson go to Brazil full of confidence.

Craftsman
    They will win on the last day of the season on goal difference.

They are playing the Toon, who are lucky to score nil at the moment, so no matter how many goals Liverpool need they will do it

I think the big advantage that Liverpool have had this season is no European football - it makes a huge difference especially with regard to squad sizes, injuries etc etc.

No doubt Chelsea had one eye on the 1/4 of the CL this week against PSG - & a degree of complacency.......

As the OP says, it would be 'good for football' if Liverpool do win it & fair play to Rogers for all he has achieved this season BUT I can't help feeling that City will still win it - then we can all claim that the bought the league so makes it easier to swallow!!!

cheers

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I feared for Liverpool before the start of the season. BR's tactics sometimes were questionable and it was too much intricate passing with no penetration. I feared they might well become a 6th - 8th placed team for the next few years (although not relegated as HoneyFB had predicted).

They made a good start to the year and I thought that if they could be within 4 points of the 4th place at Christmas then they would have a chance of getting that last CL place. It was a bonus that they were top at Christmas, but losing against Man City and Chelsea pushed them back down to 4th. After a disappointing performance against Villa (and later West Brom) I really believed they would struggle against Spurs, Everton, Arsenal and Man Utd but Liverpool seemed to be possessed in these games.

To win the next 6 games in a row is massive ask, and maybe a bridge too far for them. However, they've really done all Liverpool fans proud with their attacking play and fearless attitude. If they can get a few more quality players in the summer (especially to firm up the iffy defence) and keep Suarez, then they will be even more of a force next year.
    Relegated???? Wheres HoneyFB lol?

To be honest I thought the "blip" over xmas was a tad unlucky. They deserved to lose to Chelsea at the Bridge due to the first half performance but thought they were very unlucky against Man City and if i remember rightly Stirling was through on goal and it was deemed offside when he was way on.

I must admit I still think of that West Brom game which Liverpool was so comfortable controlling and then out of nowhere Kolo did that stupid unnecessary pass which was intercepted (bit like John Arnes Riise's own goal in the last min against Chelsea in the Benitez CL era which came out of nothing). Unfortunately if they come up short at the end of the season I will end up having nightmares about that stupid pass.

A lot already been said about BR's handling of the players, keeping Suarez etc but I also think he has had a huge part in Sterlings development. He was a bit burnt out and light weight last year but he has been rested on occasions and made to work hard to get back into the team etc and for a lightweight kid he seems to be getting stronger all the time and not getting pushed off the ball. Although both scored yesterday Henderson and Coutinho still have improvements to make in the shooting dept and I'm sure they are working on that.

I think failing miserably in the Jan transfer market was prob a blessing in disguise.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul360m View Post
    I think the big advantage that Liverpool have had this season is no European football - it makes a huge difference especially with regard to squad sizes, injuries etc etc.

No doubt Chelsea had one eye on the 1/4 of the CL this week against PSG - & a degree of complacency.......

As the OP says, it would be 'good for football' if Liverpool do win it & fair play to Rogers for all he has achieved this season BUT I can't help feeling that City will still win it - then we can all claim that the bought the league so makes it easier to swallow!!!

cheers

Paul
    Yeah your def right, though I guess at this stage of the season playing teams near or at the bottom fighting for their lives normally causes a few upsets.

If (though I think its a safe bet) Liverpool get CL football then Rodgers will need at least 2-3 good signings (not their usual mediocre fringe ones). Outside the starting 11 things look rather bleak hence playing in one comp is def benefiting them

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I'd like Liverpool to win the Prem because I'd like to see Gerrard, Sturridge and Johnson go to Brazil full of confidence.
    Imagine Sterling and Henderson will def make that plane also!

Not sure they will win it, Jose is very good at mind games and superb a finding someone's weakness. Not sure how Rogers will cope or the team, should be a really exciting run in and hopefully the best we have seen in a long time. City are the best group of players and the strongest squad, Chelsea a still a striker short, need a 20 goal man.... So they loan out Lukaku who scores 17 at West Brom and 13 so far at Everton. Liverpool have they got the squad if they lose a key player, call me cynical but a bad challenge against city and he misses the last few games... That would be much harder for them

I hope they dont

CTID

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    Not sure they will win it, Jose is very good at mind games and superb a finding someone's weakness. Not sure how Rogers will cope or the team, should be a really exciting run in and hopefully the best we have seen in a long time. City are the best group of players and the strongest squad, Chelsea a still a striker short, need a 20 goal man.... So they loan out Lukaku who scores 17 at West Brom and 13 so far at Everton. Liverpool have they got the squad if they lose a key player, call me cynical but a bad challenge against city and he misses the last few games... That would be much harder for them
    And of course Chelsea sold Sturridge!!!!

Choked on my cornflakes the other day when it was mentioned on the TV that Martin Skirtel has scored more Premier League goals then Fernando Torres this season!!!! Chelsea will def be signing somebody major up front this summer!!

Yep I agree. Jose got the tactics spot on when Chelsea went to City and they won fairly easily. He will definitely have a game plan and it will be a very tough match for Liverpool, as will the one vs City. It'll be a learning experience for BR - only his second season in charge and probably CL qualification at least, something which not many people expected. He's still a relatively young manager but I bet even some of Liverpool's rivals would like to have him in charge of their team. Liverpool will need more quality players and a bigger squad next year.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post

Blog Entries
    Yes they can and that's coming from a CFC supporter of 50+ yrs ( no I did not sign up when the Russian took over) I still think that Citeh will do it with either ourselves or LFC coming in second but the influence of "the biter" cannot be underestimated, I would personally drive Torres to Luton Airport for an Easy Jet back to anywhere he has been a total waste of time and effort and IMO has done real damage to CFC and I do not think Lakaku is a top top striker so a sale to Everton would not hurt but compared to Torres he is a £100m man and I see some heavyweight replacements coming in the Summer.
    Great Season for all and if LFC and Everton both make CL that's an unexpected.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Journeyman
    As a lifelong fan I hope they do it

I doubt they wold b close if they had CL this year

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Relegated???? Wheres HoneyFB lol?

To be honest I thought the "blip" over xmas was a tad unlucky. They deserved to lose to Chelsea at the Bridge due to the first half performance but thought they were very unlucky against Man City and if i remember rightly Stirling was through on goal and it was deemed offside when he was way on.
    I think they were unlucky in high those games. Our old friend Webb robbed us of a penalty in the Chelsea game too.

I must admit I still think of that West Brom game which Liverpool was so comfortable controlling and then out of nowhere Kolo did that stupid unnecessary pass which was intercepted (bit like John Arnes Riise's own goal in the last min against Chelsea in the Benitez CL era which came out of nothing). Unfortunately if they come up short at the end of the season I will end up having nightmares about that stupid pass.

I've thought about it many times since. Those two points stupidly dropped by that donkey could mean all the difference.

I had high hopes for Toure when they signed him - all that experience and supposed quality.

Little did I know he is an absolute donkey who has consistent brainfarts. He had a negative influence on Skrtel too, making him more jittery and donkey-like. Aggressive and Skrtel look a lot more comfortable together. They need to let Toure go at the end of the season.

Ask me again after the Southampton match on Saturday. I'd say this is City's toughest home fixture left and I think Saints could upset us here.
    Honestly, I'm not too nervous about going to Looneypool , I think City are much the better side but the Scousers are on fire at the minute. Should be a belter.
    We still have to go to Everton too and I think we last won there in 1895! With GazBaz not eligible we might nick that one. I'm expecting a few twists yet.

In what way do you think that City are the better side? On an individual basis City do have better players in most departments, and a much much stronger squad, but as a team I don't think any side is playing better than Liverpool at the moment.

Considering the defence is iffy and leaks way too many goals, that one player has a potentially dodgy 'gait', the captain is not a 'top, top' player, and the main striker is a cannibal (!) I think they've done amazingly well this season. It's also a young squad, with a good proportion of English talent, and will get much better over time. Rodgers has them playing like a team, pressing high and swarming the ball in numbers to get possession back. I've watched many games in the past where they've been strolling around like it's a Sunday league match. There's still a lot of work to be done and personally I don't think they will win all 6 remaining games, but they've certainly made me proud.

Southampton can play as well as any team in the PL on their day, so it won't be easy, but I'd expect City to win fairly comfortably. Everton away will be much harder.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Ask me again after the Southampton match on Saturday. I'd say this is City's toughest home fixture left and I think Saints could upset us here.
    Honestly, I'm not too nervous about going to Looneypool , I think City are much the better side but the Scousers are on fire at the minute. Should be a belter.
    We still have to go to Everton too and I think we last won there in 1895! With GazBaz not eligible we might nick that one. I'm expecting a few twists yet.

As a City fan I clearly don't want them to do it. That said, I think Brendan Rodgers deserves manager of the year for what he's done at Liverpool this season.

Liverpool still have Chelsea and City to play, albeit at home and they will be the key games but I still think there's another twist or two before the season's out. Best Premier League in years.

Grand Master
    Hope they do it, they've been a good story this season, and Suarez for me is the best on the planet just now, he isn't the fastest, or have the most skill, but he just knows what others are going to do before they do and sets up or scores goals every game, and he really does look like he loves playing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    In what way do you think that City are the better side? On an individual basis City do have better players in most departments, and a much much stronger squad, but as a team I don't think any side is playing better than Liverpool at the minute
    Which is exactly what I said!
    City have a much better like for like player in almost every department but Liverpool are playing fantastically well at the moment.

Keep the faith

Talking through my pockets as had some 12/1 a few weeks ago when they "blew it"

All teams wobble

It's not over yet, but I'd love them to win it

Main other thing is that man utd don't get in top 4
    Could my dreams come true???

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Talking through my pockets as had some 12/1 a few weeks ago when they "blew it"

All teams wobble

It's not over yet, but I'd love them to win it

Main other thing is that man utd don't get in top 4
    Could my dreams come true???
    Think I would bet my house that Man Utd dont make top 4 :)

No I don't think they can. Once City have Aguero back they are as good as Liverpool going forward but City have a better defence. They also have players who have done it course & distance whereas Liverpool could fold when the pressure of the run-in is really on.

Craftsman
    Let hope they do win the title , it will make EPL more interesting going forward .

Banned
    I'd like to see them win it, but the nerves on display recently against Sunderland will need to be kept in check during the run in, especially in games where the won't have it all their own way in the matches against City & Chelsea.

I actually think they'll struggle more against the other teams that they would be expected to beat - West Ham, Palace etc. They seem to find these games harder mentally - e.g. they just about beat Fulham, Swansea and Sunderland. I think they'll be up for City and Chelsea because they know those are the top two teams, and apart from losing to them away, they've basically run riot against the other teams in the top six. Whether they can beat them is another thing.

It's great to see an open PL this year - probably the most exciting there's ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I'd like to see them win it, but the nerves on display recently against Sunderland will need to be kept in check during the run in, especially in games where the won't have it all their own way in the matches against City & Chelsea.

^ ^ Certainly makes a change from seeing Utd dominate every year, with Ferguson bullying officials until they squeak.

The playing field is a lot more even and we'll thankfully probably never see a period that United can dominate like they did again. Those days are gone!
    Last edited by scarto; 1st April 2014 at 16:13. Reason: Just spotted a weird auto-correct

Craftsman
    I hope they do. Simply for a bit of a change!

Master
    Hope not!

Master
    I think they could. They have been very lucky with injuries and have had no CL to contend with.

Would be a bitter pill for Man Utd / Dave Moyes ........ 1st season in charge .... Won nothing .... Qualified for nothing .... And Liverpool win Premiership !

He would go down in Man Utd folk law for sure !

By the way as a kid I was a huge Liverpool fan through late 70's / 80's domination , now I can take it or leave it as they are massively over paid pre-madonnas.

Just my opinion.

As previously mentioned Liverpool have been fortunate with injuries and have not been involved in the life sucking CL but they also missed Suarez for the first half a dozen games of the season so they could have had even more points and Suarez more goals.

Aside from his oddities, a fantastic player, best in the prem IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Liverpool out played you guys at the Etihad earlier in the season and were very unlucky not to come away with a win or draw. If I am honest I am more concerned about Chelsea as they really got the better of us at the bridge. Hopefully Everton will do us a favour in the run in and we can get a Merseyside 1st and 4th.

Looking forward to these last few games though, the Kop is rocking at the minute :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    As previously mentioned Liverpool have been fortunate with injuries and have not been involved in the life sucking CL but they also missed Suarez for the first half a dozen games of the season so they could have had even more points and Suarez more goals.

We have been without out Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Sakho, Johnson, Sturiddge and Suarez for significant amounts of time this season. Even Sterling has only been an option for half of it (which if you had seen the drop of last season then clearly Rodgers did the right thing making him fight to get back in the team). This is on top of having a relatively small first team with low wages compared to the other title contenders.

I am not of the opinion that we are some sort of peoples champ major underdog as we are clearly a privileged team. What I do think though is that claims we have been lucky with injuries are simply not quite right. The fortune has been that other players have stepped up and the manager has adjusted the shape of the team to suit the personnel available to him. Even Gerrard's much mooted move backwards was partially down to the lack of cover for Lucas. Similarly if we had been in the Champs League for the past three seasons we would have more and better players as we would have had the cash and more pulling power. Over the summer our strongest rumours were Mkhitaryan, Costa and Willian, all of which supposedly had prices met by Liverpool fairly early, but did not want to come. Look how they have done this season, with any two of them we could have coped with Champs League as well.

All I hope is that our scouts do as well this summer. With the extra cash and attraction that Liverpool should be able to offer they might be able to bring this team on another level.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

That's true, but they haven't had the depth of injuries that say Arsenal have and seem to have every year. They started the Man City game at the weekend without arguably their best 5 players.

Quote Originally Posted by pluseditor View Post
    That's true, but they haven't had the depth of injuries that say Arsenal have and seem to have every year. They started the Man City game at the weekend without arguably their best 5 players.
    Agree completely that Arsenal would be doing better if they weren't down 5 of their best players at the business end of the season. To be fair though this happens to Arsenal every year in recent history. If it was a one of then you would feel very sorry for them, but it isn't. Whether it is their training, medical staff or even the qualities of the medicals they give new players, there is something wrong there.