closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying on £690k worth of watches - Dubai Mall

Dubai Mall is a very interesting place.
    Gives perfect illustration of the phrase Veblen goods if any place ever did.
    I quite like to go window shopping there too.
    I like some of those you tried and don't like others, which I suppose is hardly surprising. Glad you enjoyed the day.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    No, just someone with an opinion that doesn't align with yours. I happen to agree - there is nothing there that appeals to me, even if I could afford them.
    Nothing there that I'd look twice at.. Gross.

Negative comment alert.

I loved this post! I was particularly tickled when, after I'd scrolled down through pictures of what, to me, was mainly some really brash, horrible stuff, you insert the comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by PWatch View Post
    And now for some really brash horrible stuff...
    I don't for a moment believe you loved ALL the stuff before that comment, but there was me thinking that you'd just been enjoying the excess, and found it as OTT as I do (with the odd notable exception).

Just goes to show how varied personal taste can be. Thanks for pictures of some truly astounding watches.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Nothing there that I'd look twice at.. Gross.
    Interesting thoughts

I posted this on another forum and had nothing but polite posts...

No surprise really though, you drive your ferrari through the bus station and you shouldn't expect positive comments :p

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I think what qualifies as tasteful in the middle east is very different to what appeals to most western eyes. Last weeks TV show about Rolls Royce proved that. I like the black faced AP chronograph though.
    I can see the 'when in Rome' side to this. When I was last in Monaco (ok, the only time was ever in Monaco but allow me to dream) you certainly felt a lot more comfortable with the level of luxury and bling around as it was everywhere. You'd happily wear something you'd think twice about at home. I guess in Dubai I'd be disappointed if I didn't see OTT watches everywhere. Doesn't quite translate to London for me, though maybe Knightsbridge, judging by the cars parked around Harrods on the weekend.

Nice pile of watches OP!

Not sure who is insane enough to buy the pen tho! That's on ugly looking thing to my eyes and costs £120k?! Crazy!

Interesting thoughts

No surprise really though, you drive your ferrari through the bus station and you shouldn't expect positive comments :p
    Sorry but the bus station riff raff have opinions, you may not like or agree with those opinions, but they are the opinions of other members of an open watch forum, perhaps you're just seeking some kind of sycophantic hero worship, those that like those watches will say so, and those of us that don't like them will do the same. now grow up and stop acting like a spoilt child.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

very nice, liking the ap royal oak chrono in black.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Sorry but the bus station riff raff have opinions, you may not like or agree with those opinions, but they are the opinions of other members of an open watch forum, perhaps you're just seeking some kind of sycophantic hero worship, those that like those watches will say so, and those of us that don't like them will do the same. now grow up and stop acting like a spoilt child.
    Struck a nerve?

Struck a nerve?
    Meaning what? being riff raff I don't have the benefit of your education, or imagined good taste.
    Last edited by number2; 29th March 2014 at 21:51.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Its so interesting how these pics are received on different forums... all about affordability clearly.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Meaning what? being riff raff I don't have the benefit of your education, or imagined good taste.
    Close; if you were educated you would perhaps appreciate that different things float different people's boats, rather than be narrow-minded enough to call someone's taste 'imagined good taste' when it is down to personal preference. This being the personality traits of someone who calls people in a flash car 'tosser' for no given reason.

There's enough threads on here to talk about what one does like rather than waste time criticising others enjoyment - as you have also done on the skydweller and sea dweller threads to some extent.

I will be leaving it at this as won't be drawn into a direct and moronic argument with another member on a thread created purely for watch appreciation and not for bickering.

Quote Originally Posted by cfranklin View Post
    Nice pile of watches OP!

Not sure who is insane enough to buy the pen tho! That's on ugly looking thing to my eyes and costs £120k?! Crazy!
    I lost my beloved Parker roller ball the other week it cost £10 from WHSmiths , I was gutted , no point in me spending a mortgage value on a pen I'd be suicidal if I lost it lol

Quote Originally Posted by demer03 View Post
    Weird, I was there last week. That mall is wild. My favorite....

Couple of nice pieces there.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolzenith View Post
    I lost my beloved Parker roller ball the other week it cost £10 from WHSmiths , I was gutted , no point in me spending a mortgage value on a pen I'd be suicidal if I lost it lol
    100% agree on pen, crazy money! The detail on it was unbelievable however far from my taste

I Wonder what the watch/car collection is like of the guys splashing that much on a pen!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Interesting thoughts

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
    I think Congrats to the OP and thanks for sharing. It must have been an amazing afternoon trying on all those and generally enjoying the experience. None of those watches are to my taste but I enjoyed the post nonetheless.
    +1 definitely , thanks !

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great pics! Sounded like fun!

Starting to find myself attracted to some APs of late, one of the models is yours!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_fantazmo View Post
    Great pictures and thanks for taking the time to post them however I have to agree with an earlier post, not one of those watches appeals to me one bit, but each to their own.
    That is exactly what I was going to say.

Thanks OP for a great post-
    my favourites are the white gold Submariner -i love the bright blue dial....
    and the yellow gold Skydweller- an awesome watch...........

I just wanted to remind people out there to think of this thread the next time you fill you car with petrol or diesel.

Apprentice
    No problem with people not agreeing with tastes - it's what the world goes round.

What you can always rely on on here is someone letting you know that they don't like your taste and adding unnecessary negativity...I wouldn't jump on a oris or sinn thread or whatever and say they look boring, there's no need

My mother always told me if you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all
    X2 - totally unnecessary.

One thing I like about this forum is the easy give and take of opinions.

Here in the 'bus station' (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that was in the hope of goading a response) we don't need validation for our views. If you liked all those watches, good for you, but why do you expect us all to swoon along or keep quiet?

If you think everyone should share your opinion or be silent, I guess you should stick to more sycophantic forums...

These aren't your creations, you just tried them on, so why so thin skinned about a few negative remarks?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I liked that Parmigiani a lot - maybe that will be a retirement present to myself (gives me plenty of time to save).

Other than that, I think the Cartiers were a surprising next choice - I think they tend to be underrated on watch forums. One of my Parisien colleagues had a "ballon" (sp?) on last time I was out there and it looked very smart with a suit.

The Rolexes leave me cold - I like the lower end Rolexes to an extent (the Explorer, the Sub, and son on) but the higher end models are too blingy for my taste. And I don't get Richard Mille watches at all.

I couldn't do a big watch trying on session like that - I'd be too frustrated at having to give them back!

Craftsman
    Thanks for posting the pics op - not to my taste but if you have oodles of cash burning a hole and don't know what to do with it then why the heck not!

Just to add:

My mother always told me if you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all
    Err - how does that fit with calling someone a negative moron straight out???

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I can see the 'when in Rome' side to this. When I was last in Monaco (ok, the only time was ever in Monaco but allow me to dream) you certainly felt a lot more comfortable with the level of luxury and bling around as it was everywhere. You'd happily wear something you'd think twice about at home. I guess in Dubai I'd be disappointed if I didn't see OTT watches everywhere. Doesn't quite translate to London for me, though maybe Knightsbridge, judging by the cars parked around Harrods on the weekend.
    My view is different. I lived out in the gulf and saw a lot of locals running up silly debt just to keep up with an image of what a "Gulf Arab" Should be. Expensive cars, expensive watch, big house etc.... Salary at the end of the month then a week later asking people for a loan until the end of the month. The other thing that became apparent very quickly is the dross that doesn't sell in Europe and America being sold out in the Gulf. There were quite a few examples with cars in particular American cars (Very big out there) I remember a few American colleagues scratching their head at these 4x4 motors the locals were driving around in that would get laughed at back home in the states, there were brands you will have never heard of back home that have found a tidy little niche in the Gulf selling as though they are household names in the West. It did seem like it was a bit of a dumping ground for stuff that would not sell elsewhere. Throw a bit of gold and a few diamonds on it and bingo, you have a sale.

By the way, that Blancpain on the right is very nice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    My view is different. I lived out in the gulf and saw a lot of locals running up silly debt just to keep up with an image of what a "Gulf Arab" Should be. Expensive cars, expensive watch, big house etc.... Salary at the end of the month then a week later asking people for a loan until the end of the month. The other thing that became apparent very quickly is the dross that doesn't sell in Europe and America being sold out in the Gulf. There were quite a few examples with cars in particular American cars (Very big out there) I remember a few American colleagues scratching their head at these 4x4 motors the locals were driving around in that would get laughed at back home in the states, there were brands you will have never heard of back home that have found a tidy little niche in the Gulf selling as though they are household names in the West. It did seem like it was a bit of a dumping ground for stuff that would not sell elsewhere. Throw a bit of gold and a few diamonds on it and bingo, you have a sale.

By the way, that Blancpain on the right is very nice.

That's very illuminating, seeing as I've never been there myself.

On the 'negativity' of posting opinions about some of these watches - sure, if someone has just posted their prized new incoming, then I see little point in posting that it's horrible, even if it seems so to me. But it's an interesting and reasonable discussion to wonder why so many high end pieces go so far beyond the bounds of what many see as good taste. Of course, it's all quite subjective, but that said, it often seems that high priced pieces have to try and do something 'extra' to justify their price, and this very element is exactly what pushes it beyond the optimum point from a design perspective. They can't just be luxurious, they have to shout about it. There are exceptions of course - PP, AP and VC dress watches are models of restraint in all but materials.

Still a fun day out for the OP and a fun post.

Most of them I don't like. The blue sub is nice :)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    That's very illuminating, seeing as I've never been there myself.

On the 'negativity' of posting opinions about some of these watches - sure, if someone has just posted their prized new incoming, then I see little point in posting that it's horrible, even if it seems so to me. But it's an interesting and reasonable discussion to wonder why so many high end pieces go so far beyond the bounds of what many see as good taste. Of course, it's all quite subjective, but that said, it often seems that high priced pieces have to try and do something 'extra' to justify their price, and this very element is exactly what pushes it beyond the optimum point from a design perspective. They can't just be luxurious, they have to shout about it. There are exceptions of course - PP, AP and VC dress watches are models of restraint in all but materials.

Still a fun day out for the OP and a fun post.
    I completely get that - from a car anology perspective, the man that buys the Bentley Muslanne or Bristol (PP Complications customer) is not likely to appreciate a Lambo Aventador (RM customer)- similar priced but aimed at different age groups and market segments.

Gentlemen of the 'wrong perceived age' either way would look out of place in the perceived 'wrong' elite vehicle - same applies for watches of similar calibre - they may have similar technical capability gone about in different ways (PP& bentley. Vs lambo/RM) aimed at a different genre of gent.

Whether shouting about it or being understated - it's all horses for courses

Apprentice
    Fantastic Mall
    I was there recently and the thing that surprised me most was the attitude in different shops.

Rolex
    Security door, security man who looked us up and down and reluctantly opened the door. then the off hand sales men.
    Probably saw my 30 year old Air King and dismissed me or it could have been because I asked about the BLNR GMT. "we don't keep those they are on a long waiting list"

A Lange and Sohne.
    Open door
    Just one girl assistant who couldn't be nicer even when I said just browsing she spent a lot of time explaining the range and showing me anything except the 30 day manual wind in a special cabinet.
    when I saved 12K I will definitely go back there.

In defence of Rolex, Fatorinis Harrogate the staff couldn't be nicer or more helpful.