closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about the new Milgauss?

What about the new Milgauss?

With all the talk about the Seadweller and Pepsi GMT. Both fantastic models I agree.

However , I think the new Milgauss looks great with the blue dial and an improvement on the original GV.

Master
    I love it, tempted to add it to my existing milgauss gv.

Master
    It's nice to look at, really nice, but what's its purpose? It's very casual in that colour scheme but the Milgauss is quite a serious model aimed at Scientists and other people who work around magnetism. I just can't see where it fits in unless you want a summer watch and are REALLY paranoid about going through magnetic airport security systems.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    It's nice to look at, really nice, but what's its purpose? It's very casual in that colour scheme but the Milgauss is quite a serious model aimed at Scientists and other people who work around magnetism. I just can't see where it fits in unless you want a summer watch and are REALLY paranoid about going through magnetic airport security systems.
    I have to say that in the most part I agree with this, I really don't see the purpose or point of this watch, and it doesn't even have a date!!

So I suppose we must ask ourselves the question which has been asked time and again on this forum, and I say this as the owner of both a sea dweller and 2 GMTs;

Am I a transatlantic pilot??...... No, and will probably never be one.

Do I ever take part in any saturation dives??........ Don't be silly, I never even wear a watch in the shower.

So the upshot is this;
    Do like to think I could be a sat diver????? Yes.

Can I picture myself flying Concorde from London to New York and back????? Yes.

Do I want to work in a nuclear reactor room, or be an MRI scanner operator?????? Not really.

And I suppose that's why the Milgauss has never appealed to me. It boils down to image alone.

That said, I've known 3 non WIS friends in the last year all ask me what Rolex they should buy, and dispute my recommendation of a GMTII, all 3 have made their own minds up (independently of one another) and all3 have bought brand new, straight from the AD Milgauss.

I suppose it all boils down to different strokes and all that!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    I have to say that in the most part I agree with this, I really don't see the purpose or point of this watch, and it doesn't even have a date!!

So I suppose we must ask ourselves the question which has been asked time and again on this forum, and I say this as the owner of both a sea dweller and 2 GMTs;

Am I a transatlantic pilot??...... No, and will probably never be one.

Do I ever take part in any saturation dives??........ Don't be silly, I never even wear a watch in the shower.

So the upshot is this;
    Do like to think I could be a sat diver????? Yes.

Can I picture myself flying Concorde from London to New York and back????? Yes.

Do I want to work in a nuclear reactor room, or be an MRI scanner operator?????? Not really.

And I suppose that's why the Milgauss has never appealed to me. It boils down to image alone.

That said, I've known 3 non WIS friends in the last year all ask me what Rolex they should buy, and dispute my recommendation of a GMTII, all 3 have made their own minds up (independently of one another) and all3 have bought brand new, straight from the AD Milgauss.

I suppose it all boils down to different strokes and all that!!
    Yeah you're right. I suppose it's too easy to look deeply into the "necessity" of this model within the market, when really, it's hats off to Rolex for just bringing out a thoroughly nice watch.

I like the idea of the Milgauss, and it would have been actually useful - or at least justifiable - in my former life... not that I could have afforded anything like it back then :)

I don't like the lightning bolt second hand though... strikes me as a gimmick too far.

It looks ok (just about) to me but nowhere near beating the matte black dial of the original GV. I'm happily keeping that one.

Even better if they've discontinued the GV (have they?).

Blog Entries
    I think it would have looked better without the green , just one colour to many.

What about the new Milgauss?

Personally I really like it and I imagine in the flesh under certain lighting it looks even better than the picture.
    Of all the new releases this is my favourite.

Big fan of the milgauss I own an LV. Really like the new one with the blue dial too.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Big fan of the milgauss I own an LV.
    Milgauss LV?? I am sure you mean GV

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    I like the idea of the Milgauss, and it would have been actually useful - or at least justifiable - in my former life... not that I could have afforded anything like it back then :)

I don't like the lightning bolt second hand though... strikes me as a gimmick too far.
    Horrible ! Blue and Green and red.......

Master
    Could you really wear it in an MRI room?

I think it was perfect before with black dial. It looked a proper watch with an interesting dash of colour. I was always surprised that it worked for me, as I generally dislike both orange and green, and certainly the combination. Now it is very funky/casual. It looks a lot less serious. Doesn't mean it won't work for Rolex of course. I somehow doubt that its success will hinge on the style sense of the world's scientists.

I'm going to have to see this one before judgement.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    I like it a lot. I have always thought the Milgauss is a watch that does little to inspire until you actually get it on your wrist at which point it becomes an entirely more appealing prospect.

I like the Milgauss. I don't buy watches on image I buy them on look and I like the way the Milgauss looks.

I like blue dialed watches so I thought I'd lile this a lot, but I find it a bit too much... adding the blue dial highlights all the other colours and it becomes a bit fussy.

So not for me.

Although I might come to love it in time...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 28th March 2014 at 11:18.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I'm loving the blue dial Milgauss! Subtle revision of the existing models but such a nice colour blue.

Craftsman
    Not sure about blue face and green crystal, think it would have been better to keep the GV and either just add a blue dial to the range or replace the standard black dial if one had to go.

I prefer the black dial GV personally. I like that this watch is Rolexes black sheep- it's very different; very rock n roll :)

I do wish people wouldn't slate the lightning bolt hand as a gimmick. It's a faithful homage to one of its predecessors.

Journeyman
    I love it from the pictures that came out so far and would definitely want to check it out to see if it holds up on the wrist.
    Any ideas on when it'll show up on AD's shelves!?
    Last edited by christopher_p; 28th March 2014 at 11:28.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    Now this may seem like the silliest first-world and even insensitive question, but you've actually hit on something that's important to many, many people. Because of all the issues, challenges and other key medical and emotional criteria facing consultants, radiologists and indeed patients waiting to find out (say) whether or not that lump on their pancreas is malignant, the most important is whether the dial colour of the consultant's antimagnetic watch is black or actually a dark blue, depending on the light. Now don't let people tell you otherwise - they're just being polite!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    It's nice to look at, really nice, but what's its purpose?
    It's easier to store :D

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    You can wear what you like if you're staying in the control room, but if you're standing in the scanning room when the magnets are on then you wouldn't want to be wearing a Milgauss or any other watch for that matter!

Master
    Love that picture funkstar.

I'm loving the new blue dial, definitely prefer it to the old black. looking forward to seeing one in the flesh.

Master

+

=

Apprentice
    I own and love the black dial milguass
    The new blue, Green and orange hand combo looks all too busy for me.

It looks nice and different, but I prefer the existing one with the black dial and the green glass.

It's a watch I really need to see in real life, in different light conditions. The blue and green is a controversial combo, but knowing Rolex, it probably works very well. The Sub LV is a good example of this - pic's don't really show it off to it's full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    I like it a lot. I have always thought the Milgauss is a watch that does little to inspire until you actually get it on your wrist at which point it becomes an entirely more appealing prospect.
    I agree with this, having formerly owned the GV (twice). The new blue dial is the nicest option IMO, although it clearly won't appeal to the stick in the muds everyone

I like the new one and thinks it's a nice update to the watch. Having said that, personally I think the green glass and black dial is a tough combination to beat and something the update doesn't quite manage to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody9811 View Post
    I like the new one and thinks it's a nice update to the watch. Having said that, personally I think the green glass and black dial is a tough combination to beat and something the update doesn't quite manage to do.
    I disagree actually, but only for the reason that dial visibility isn't the best on the GV - there are too many angles where the combination of green glass and black dial = diminished sharpness. I suspect that Rolex have addressed that with the blue dial version.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I disagree actually, but only for the reason that dial visibility isn't the best on the GV - there are too many angles where the combination of green glass and black dial = diminished sharpness. I suspect that Rolex have addressed that with the blue dial version.
    That's a fair comment regarding the gv, it can get some reflections. Although having not seen the blue dial in the steel I cannot possibly compare the two. I was purely intending it to relate to the looks and my gv looks mighty fine with a suit imho!

Seems to me a bit of hype changing the dial and presenting it as new.

Master
    +1 Nice look but not exactly a game changer.

Green and blue .. Together? Not for me.

Master

Banned
    Milgaus the watch for rich teens :D

Craftsman
    I think a clear crystal would have worked better with this one.

I prefer the original GV to this version. The blue dial is nice however.

Really like it, love the green.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I prefer the original GV to this version. The blue dial is nice however.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I agree with this, having formerly owned the GV (twice). The new blue dial is the nicest option IMO, although it clearly won't appeal to the stick in the muds everyone

One watch that I have never understood.Neither do anything for me.Horses,Courses and all that.

I am so rude as well.Welcome back.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin123 View Post
    Seems to me a bit of hype changing the dial and presenting it as new.
    They put a watch with a dial previously unavailable in a cabinet for people to photograph - it's really up to the press to supply the hype, and internet fora around the world to pick it apart until everyone else gets bored of the obsessing and goes off to read something more interesting.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I actually really like it. Does anybody know when we will be able to see these in the AD window?

Milgauss is the only Roly I'd consider, the rest are all a bit 'follow the herd'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DibbleCorse View Post
    Milgauss is the only Roly I'd consider, the rest are all a bit 'follow the herd'.
    I thought I was the only one who found the Sub/DSSD etc. a bit too common.

Rob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Courboy View Post
    I actually really like it. Does anybody know when we will be able to see these in the AD window?
    I have just asked that very same question of WOS at the Royal Exchange. The answer was that whilst they are supposed to coming in at some point during July it would be best not to hang around any shop windows hopping to see one until October.

wearing my GV today and am pleased they have launched the new one as I absolutely love the current one (which looks like it will be discontinued as the blue face is taking the same model number (strange itself as I am not sure if Rolex ever do this)) and therefore it will stay exclusive.

will reserve judgement till I see it in the flesh, but I can't see the blue and green working too well ....but maybe it will be more dress down that up.

have to say my GV really splits opinion amongst WIS, but out of my collection of about 12 watches it is the one that gets noticed most/compliments from non WIS friends and clients.

in terms of living with the watch my daily wearer is a GMTc, but the GV is just a great size and fit I'm still wearing it after its been out of the safe for the weekend.

Really? Same reference? Very odd. Maybe it is like the lug holed 16610lv that was a mock up for the show and to put the fakers off? (Never existed)