closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RubberB - Think Different

Grand Master

RubberB - Think Different

Think Different – Be Fresh

At the start of my watch journey I, like many, always felt that a watch needed to be on a bracelet as a rubber or leather strap just felt slightly inferior and less value for money but as the years have passed and my tasted matured I now wear the majority of my watches on a strap of rubber or leather and often disregard the bracelets in favour of them. So it comes of no surprise that my DSSD would not suffer a similar fate but the only dilemma I had was concerns about wearing it on a NATO as I do on other Rolex Steel Sports as it is a beefy fella and needs a firm strap.

Enter the RubberB, I have always been a fan from the release of the RubberB and initially was concerned over the quality and price as on occasion you get the aftermarket companies trying to make a few quid on the back of a successful brand but there is no doubt that this was not the case. The early RubberB I had on my Sub required the clasp was removed from the bracelet and attached to it plus required cutting thus limiting its capacity to be resold or adjusted well but RubberB over came this with the tang buckle version.

Further improvements followed as whilst all other Rolex Sports RubberB are superb they went the extra mile with the DSSD version by not only maintaining the perfectly engineered fit but also by adding width where required and at the same time providing a perfect set of lug protectors as it curves elegantly over the edge of the case to protect an area of potential knocks.

There are numerous reviews on the web mostly written by an excited new owner or opinionated non owners that have had a feel and made an uneducated assessment but I have owned a DSSD since 2009 and worn it almost everyday come rain or shine, I have swam, dived, mountain biked, slept, and shot in it and it is the most amazing watch I have ever owned. I must add at this point that the bracelet it comes with is exceptionally well made and a dream to wear, easy to adjust and solid throughout. I have read and observed many a thread and review about it tapering too much which I understand but after 5 years of ownership I can say it is not a problem in my opinion and most actual owners will agree.

Where the game changes is when the DSSD meets RubberB, this was a match made in heaven.

‘The Best Steel Sports Watch on Rubber Ever’

That’s my opinion and one shared by many including a few very influential people in the watch industry it was simply meant to be and why Rolex do not sell a DSSD-B is beyond me as you could ask for no more and shave £1000 off the price of it without the bracelet making it more affordable.

The RuuberB for DSSD comes in Black, Grey, & Red and whilst black will always be the safe and solid choice for most I am a big fan of the Red to make the watch feel fresh and really brighten up the beast. You can see in the pictures the difference between the two colours and also note that the original strap having been worn day and night (excuse the soap on it) has developed a perfect curvature on my wrist over the brand new out the packet pictures of the Red one.

This process doesn’t take long and any RubberB I have had are instantly comfortable straight out of the bag, equally they do not age and my black one looks as good today as it ever has. The red and grey might not be everyone’s cup of tea but it adds real contrast to the watch and makes the dial really ‘pop’ plus looks very fresh and sporty.

With a RRP of £185 they are not cheap but you gets what you pays for in this world and the Tang Buckle is engineered and bombproof plus the design, research, fit, form, and function of them makes me have no qualms about spending the money on them as the pleasure of ownership, comfort, performance, and aesthetics make them worth every penny. I purchased both of these from Blowers Jewellers (http://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/) who are the main UK distributer plus a great outfit to deal with, ordered and delivered in 24hrs!

So this summer why not be brave, be bold, & think different?
    RIAC

Grand Master

RIAC

Master
    That looks fantastic ( to my untrained eye, but I know what I like and I like what I see )

Is the rubber the super sticky type that pics up all manner of fluff?

Pete

Grand Master
    Pete. They don't pick up drop of fluff or dirt. Do not ask me what the make up is but they have clearly thought about it as I have owned others that do just that. Like I said. You get what you pays for!
    RIAC

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Like this one so much I have ordered a red one for my Yachtmaster

Master
    Great write up Kerry and lovely pics as always.

I took my Pam177 on my 'Feb in NZ' and for a lot of it, used the OEM Rubber strap - I've used it in the past, but rarely.

I'd always thought rubber straps made it look a little cheap or maybe too 'toy-like'. But I now think some watches are very well suited to rubber straps and my 177 will be seeing the rubber strap more often.

(it's on leather today *rolls eyes*).

The RubberB ones you write about look high quality and are something I'd certainly consider.

The red might be a bridge too far for me though :)

Craftsman
    Looking good chaps. Love the orange / red rubber!

Blog Entries
    Think I'm going to get one for my deepsea
    Kerry they do look good :-)

Completely agree. I've been wearing my 16600 on a black RubberB for over a year now. It really solved the troubles I had with the uncomfortable bracelet. I do sometimes miss the look of the bracelet though (e.g. at more formal gatherings), so looking to add another Rolex to the family.

I hadn't even considered another colour of RubberB, but you've now got me thinking. Not sure I could go through the hassle of securing the pins to the lugs again though - it took me several hours, resulting in several bent pins, when fitting the RubberB originally last March.

Grand Master
    Very surprised I find they just drop in and out fine
    RIAC

Thanks for a nice, thorough write-up. I like how the strap sits snug to the case, but I'm not convinced by the lug-hugging 'shoulders'. They seem to obscure the case shape a little. What's that like irl - apart from the practical benefits you mention?

Grand Master
    It's very nice. I find it compliments the DSSD extremely well and couldn't think of a better way of designing it. Clearly they got it right on this version
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 26th March 2014 at 15:26.
    RIAC

Master
    I wasn't aware Blowers sold these at all, never mind as the main distributor, is that a recent thing?

Pretty sure the main UK agent was someone else when I bought mine, though that was last year.

Thanks. I really like the look of the red one by the way!

Master
    My better half was looking over my shoulder as I was viewing this post and she exclaimed "ugh, I don't like the red one". I received a scornful look from her when I told her I quite liked it. I can live with that, but if I had to choose just one, it would be the black one.

Excellent write up. Rolex definitely missed a trick with the Rubber B. Looks perfect for the DSSD.

Edit: rather surprised somebody left 1 star for this excellent review. Gets 5 stars from me.
    Last edited by Chinnock; 27th March 2014 at 08:33.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    Really like the red one and have been deliberating over getting one for some time now; just might have to bite the bullet. I also think the orange one sets the white faced Explorer 2 off a treat.

Master
    Have they produced one in a slightly longer length yet ? I seem to recall I found the standard one a tad short on my DSSD. Think I was down to the last hole not giving much left into the keeper. Other than that was an excellent strap.

maseman

I've 7.5" wrists ansd wouldn't want the rubberb to be any shorter. Design and comfort are excellent but would prefer closer buckle holes for more accurate sizing like on my OEM Omega rubber strap (wear on a 2254). Love the pics of the DSSD on the red.
    Last edited by mylofitz; 27th March 2014 at 10:16.

Has anyone see any pictures of the orange rubber on the white dial Explorer 2? I've been looking for a bit, but can only find the mock up advert photo. I've been thinking of getting one for some time now, but just never seem to click 'buy'.

Great write up Kerry. I've only tried the DSSD on with the black rubber B (another members not mine) I was smitten straight away...awesome.
    I have tried the DSSD on its bracelet and felt a bit underwhelmed. The rubber B takes the watch to a far better place IMHO.

Grand Master
    Thanks for the feedback, I have throughly enjoyed most watches on bracelets, rubber, & NATO but this combination is the outright winner. As I said in the write up some feel cheated or cheapened by not having a bracelet but I find no issue, should I ever sell this DSSD the owner will get a brand new bracelet as I doubt I will ever mount it again but thats partly as I lead a sporty and active lifestyle and the rubber is the king for that.
    RIAC

It always amazes me that decent rubbers are so hard to come by. Reminds me of being a teenager.

The black is liveable. The red trying too hard - hell of a party strap though. It'd be interesting to see the grey
    Gray

Blog Entries
    That's actually a great fit fella, though I do prefer it in the black (not that it doesn't look fine in the orange, I am just not an orange watch accessory lover in general).

You are right, it's got the beefiness that it needs.

Also, that's one good way of avoiding swirlies et al on the bracelet, getting it packed away and pulling it out virtually mark free if you want to move her on in future.

Good combo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AshUK View Post
    Has anyone see any pictures of the orange rubber on the white dial Explorer 2? I've been looking for a bit, but can only find the mock up advert photo. I've been thinking of getting one for some time now, but just never seem to click 'buy'.
    Great idea,that would make a smashing pairing!

Been a fan of these ever since I first saw one on a DSSD. Loving the red too! I would buy one if only I had the DSSD to pair it with.

Just need the DSSD and I'm all set for a Rubber B.

Great write up mate.

Craftsman

Big fan here...

(Do try to ignore the sasquatch wrist...)

Mind you, I also happen to love the bracelet, which is super comfortable and looks just fine as-is, IMO, but it is nice to switch things up every now and then. And speaking of switching things up, I may just have to pick up a red one now... Damn your pics!!!

Regards,
    Adam

Thank you for a nice post and nice pictures. I also like rubber straps, but I have to make some comments!

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

That’s my opinion and one shared by many including a few very influential people in the watch industry, it was simply meant to be and why Rolex do not sell a DSSD-B is beyond me, as you could ask for no more and shave £1000 off the price of it without the bracelet, making it more affordable.

a) Please tell me why Rolex should make any watch cheaper, when they apparently are so good at selling them already? Rolex has no interest in making their watches affordable. Either from an image or income standpoint.

b) Rolex are obsessed in making their watches last forever. Few other brands have watches that are 50 years old and can be refurbished to look good. This is also true today, just look at the steel qualities chosen by Rolex etc. Even if this rubber b is well made, you can't refurbish it in 50 years like a steel bracelet. (I know Rolex sells leather straps, but I think you come far if you understand how Rolex thinks.)

c) Rolex has made rubber straps. They also contains shark skin and 10 diamonds. In the 65 000 USD ref 116199.
    http://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/dat...-id2738160.htm

d) As I said, I like rubber straps. But they make my skin rash... (I have less problems with leather straps, though I've not tried the rubber b specifically.) You can get allergic to rubber, some are, so be careful. I initially had hopes for a well made silicone strap (better non allergic properties than rubber), from Everest, but it seems that they have turned from silicone to rubber(?!?!?):
    http://www.ablogtowatch.com/everest-...atches-review/
    http://www.everestbands.com/pages/th...for-your-rolex

e) Anyone who knows well made silicone straps for watches, Rolex specific and not?

f) I have gone the opposite router, I now like steel bracelets more than before.
    * Leather is light weight, looks good but is unhygienic.
    * Rubber has low weight, looks ok and is hygienic but makes my skin rash.
    * Metal looks as good as leather (sometimes better, sometimes worse), is almost as hygienic as rubber (use ultrasonic cleaner), but sadly has a high weight.
    Last edited by youveboughtwhat; 30th March 2014 at 23:38.

Grand Master
    A) The suggestion is to make a bracelet and strap option like so many other models from Rolex and other manufaturers as it would just be nice to have the option.

B) You cant refurbish but you just buy a new one and hey presto!

C) Ill pass on the sharkskin and diamond strap as I no longet have my leopard print daytona

D) Sorry to hear you have a skin rash

E) Sorry no I just use the RubberB

F) Enjoy the bracelets and shame about the rash
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 31st March 2014 at 06:55.
    RIAC

Master
    Hmmm interesting, I brought a Jubilee for my 16710 almost as soon as I got it a few years back and it's lived on it ever since, however I like the thought of a rubber option for travel, I don't suppose anyone has tried the blue tang option on a Pepsi have they?

If not I may need to blaze the trail

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    A) The suggestion is to make a bracelet and strap option like so many other models from Rolex and other manufaturers as it would just be nice to have the option.

B) You cant refurbish but you just buy a new one and hey presto!

C) Ill pass on the sharkskin and diamond strap as I no longet have my leopard print daytona

D) Sorry to hear you have a skin rash

E) Sorry no I just use the RubberB

F) Enjoy the bracelets and shame about the rash
    Reg. A)
    I think Rolex is happy with the way it is, you paying 1 000 GBP extra for a watch with bracelet, and then buying whatever strap you like. (With rubber b it seems there is a high quality one to choose.)

Is there any steel Rolex that comes with leather strap as an option? I can't think of any??!?!

Another convert to the RubberB strap now... I got mine this morning off SC and put it on straight away. It is very high quality, the rubber is excellent to the touch, and can be compared with Omega or Breitlings offerings. It obviously fitted perfectly, both to the watch head and the clasp. I wanted to try one in black first, before I decided on an orange one - needless to say, I think I'll be getting one sooner rather that later. It will be excellent to travelling, and turns a fairly dressy watch into a really sporty little number.

Great pics!

Looks great!
    What's the width of the strap at the buckle end?

Grand Master
    24mm I think. Will measure later
    RIAC