TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are your other passions?

Motorbikes
    Mountain biking
    DIY/Gardening
    Rugby (watching these days)
    Gym (in the garage now)

Not all at the same time and they ebb and flow depending on mood!

Master
    As the previous post these ebb and flow but....

Rugby referee - love doing this, hate the moaning coaches

Model making - I spend most of my time glueing back on bits I knocked off, and repainting where I spilt glue but it’s relaxing and passes the time

Making memo boards (Facebook pinboardsbypaul)

Photography - so frustrating, can never get the shot I really want, and my editing skills are rubbish, but the joys of digital are you can just keep pressing that button and hope for the best.

I thought I'd get into watches, but funnily enough there aren't many that I'd want to buy.

Pocket knives, on the other hand, are always calling...

Music
    Freediving
    Photography
    Hillwalking
    Ale

Photography, hillwalking and ale go together nicely!

I must confess that with a lot of things I'm big on the equipment but not at all skilled in the execution. Have owned about a dozen guitars, but I'm no guitarist!

Oh, and cricket.
    I love watching cricket.
    I love reading about cricket.
    I love listening to people talk about cricket.
    I cannot (and never have been able to) play cricket.
    Last edited by Cornholio; 26th May 2020 at 12:29.

What are your other passions?

Photography in my spare time, these are a few I have done for SSE when the Fiddlers Ferry site was decommissioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lammylee; 26th May 2020 at 13:09.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Other than watches my biggest passion is my TR6 I just love to clean it, then drive it, puts a massive smile on my face.

This parts takes the cleaning

Hmmm... well, no surprises I imagine, but:

Photography - I do spend a lot of time shooting, and then messing about with images of all sorts of things.
    Football - been watching The Mighty Spurs for 50 years now, and it's not got any easier.
    Motorbikes - having ridden when I was younger I'm now well and truly in love with all things two wheels-related once again.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Urban exploration photography, although I haven't done enough of it since moving to England and doing huge commutes. I intend to get back to it ASAP.

Blog Entries

Cool

Some know this already. Beekeeping - one of our hives in the back garden.

All signs are a bumper crop this year. Something to do with the clean air and lack of noise pollution I surmise.

and photography - landscape, events etc

Duxford 2018

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 26th May 2020 at 14:35.

Grand Master
    Interesting thread resurrection, if only to note how many previous forum regulars are no longer active.

My interests haven`t really altered, still into watches but with more emphasis on vintage Omegas thesedays, I`ve lost interest in modern watches because they've developed away from what I find appealing.

Still an avid Rugby League supporter, still interested in classic cars. I bought an MGB in 2015 (my get-well present after a difficult 2014) which turned out to need lots of sorting out so I`ve ended up well and truly involved again, dusting down tools that I`ve owned since late teens and re-learning a few old skills.

Still attempting to do some running (just) but a legacy of injuries has all but got the better of me (there's a pun in there somewhere)......I`ve got a great future behind me!

I still enjoy music and traditional hi-fi, that'll never change.

I wish I could get interested in something completely new; Mrs W started playing bridge a couple of years back but stuff like that bores me, she always finds new interests but I don`t. Maybe I`m just set in my ways?

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Urban exploration photography, although I haven't done enough of it since moving to England and doing huge commutes. I intend to get back to it ASAP.
    You do Verv, the images you have posted in the past have been superb.

I am an 11yo stuck in a middle-aged man's body. The interests I had at 11 are the same today - audio/music/photography/watches/cycling. As I have got older I would add fitness and hillwalking to the list and I love ale/whisky but as far as passions go, music and cars will be with me until I am dragged off to the knackers yard.

SFG14662 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

SFG14649 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

SFG14669 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

Craftsman
    Gardening of late:

But historically:

Aviation
    Military
    Health and well-being
    Movies
    Art and engineering
    Travel
    Music and HiFi

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Photography in my spare time, these are a few I have done for SSE when the Fiddlers Ferry site was decommissioned

Love them!

Right up my street, professionally speaking.

www.drycargomag.com

Started playing golf 3 years ago, was hooked to start with but since my youngest was born 15 months ago and a 9 year old, I’m just not getting the time you need to get really good at it, although I’ve got 2 tee times booked for this weekend 😂

Whisky, have loads of bottles that I’ve collected, have decided to start drinking the ‘good’ ones as life is too short.

Master
    Guns and bikes, pedal style. I used to be heavily into crotch rockets but after I had both pinched I haven't restocked. Keeps my girls happy anyway.

Where to start....

Watches obvs.
    Cars - Daily is a BMW and I've had a few. Always 6 cylinder and the one below the M car. Currently a 440i GC (back doors for the young-un). Fun is a VX220 which I've had for 10 years and do track days in. Tinkering with it is also a hobby, enjoy the mechanics of it as much as the driving.
    Wine - Enjoy it along with the food. I have about 30 bottles in my rack that are nice, everything else is for general consumption.
    DIY/Gardening - I enjoy 'hobbying' if I'm honest and turning my hand to anything. This includes doing the maintenance of the garden and surrounding land. We have 12 acres in total and I enjoy all the jobs that come as a result. Anything to buy a new tool to help.
    Audio - I have always enjoyed this from about 14. I have a modest hifi that has evolved over the years. A real Trigger's broom in that it's the same hifi that I started with but none of the parts are the same!
    Tech - I always like to have a 'good' computer that I've built myself. Currently i7 32GB RAM and NVME with a meaty graphics card. In my youth I would game, now I just tinker.
    Cycling (not the lycra clad type) - In my youth I was a good trials rider and had multiple bikes that I rode all over the place (including one year at the bike show). These days I have a xc bike and a trails bike. Should use them more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Love them!

Right up my street, professionally speaking.

www.drycargomag.com
    Thank you and some great images in your link

From my forum name, music (especially drumming) used to be a passion growing up. Gave that up a long time back since I sold my drumkit and went to uni.

Got into watches through knife collecting and the 'EDC' culture but those have toned down a lot.

The passions that have been constant have been martial arts and lifting. Also got into road cycling a couple of summers back but I still don't own a single piece of lycra shorts. Maybe will save that when I hit my middle age crisis in a few years...

Craftsman
    Also into (old but still effective) hifi -- main system Oracle Delphi/Helius Orion/Koetsu Black, Meridian 500, Meridian 562, Meridian M10.

And . . . .

:-)

Master
    - Piano and Church organ playing
    - Listening to music - mostly piano Jazz
    - Formula 1 - although interest is waning
    - Hifi and tinkering with other technologies
    - Watches

Journeyman
    Having fun in this

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
    Having fun in this

Looks fantastic. Have thought of changing my Caterham for an Atom but I enjoy taking the 7 abroad. What do you use yours for?

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

I really do enjoy lots of different hobbies and interests, fishing, restoring anything old and learning new techniques, airguns, watches of course, the list goes on.

I would say the biggest passion though in that it would break my heart to sell it is my E30 M3, when driving it, it just changes me like nothing else does, passengers often say I have a different look on my face which I don't know how to explain!
    Yes its just a car, but to me its much much more than that, again I cant explain what I have just wrote but I imagine plenty of classic car/bike owners here will understand what I mean..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I really do enjoy lots of different hobbies and interests, fishing, restoring anything old and learning new techniques, airguns, watches of course, the list goes on.

I would say the biggest passion though in that it would break my heart to sell it is my E30 M3, when driving it, it just changes me like nothing else does, passengers often say I have a different look on my face which I don't know how to explain!
    Yes its just a car, but to me its much much more than that, again I cant explain what I have just wrote but I imagine plenty of classic car/bike owners here will understand what I mean..

I agree with your sentiment, especially when you've owned something for a long time it just feels right..
    Don't ever sell the m3 its beautiful...
    I'll never sell my 325i not quite in the m3s league but still my pride and joy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sold my dolphin grey e30 325i sport after a couple of years of ownership for a paltry £900 back in the early noughties.

One of my great regrets.

I’ve owned better cars since but that was my best car, if that makes sense?

That room looks amazeballs! And it should sound even better than it looks! Love the set up, both audio, LPs and everything about it

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    You do Verv, the images you have posted in the past have been superb.

I am an 11yo stuck in a middle-aged man's body. The interests I had at 11 are the same today - audio/music/photography/watches/cycling. As I have got older I would add fitness and hillwalking to the list and I love ale/whisky but as far as passions go, music and cars will be with me until I am dragged off to the knackers yard.

Lovely - I love the 3rd and 7th pics in particular

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post

Plane pic is really cool - different to the other ones in the thread but just as appealing

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    ...and photography - landscape, events etc

Martyn

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Looks fantastic. Have thought of changing my Caterham for an Atom but I enjoy taking the 7 abroad. What do you use yours for?

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Sorry for the delayed reply, As a rule I tend to work 24/7 from April to mid Oct, so track days are impossible. Hence it is mainly used for a snatched hour here or there and to drive like an idiot in our very rural location. However this year we have probably almost entirely been forced to shut our business down until next April (all outdoor large events now cancelled) so I might just get a few track days in

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

That looks superb Martyn. I used to have a 325i from the same year. Best car I've ever had

Journeyman
    Gotta love an M,

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    That room looks amazeballs! And it should sound even better than it looks! Love the set up, both audio, LPs and everything about it
    Thanks Shane, that was my setup when we lived in Scotland. Things have moved on since then, the speakers are sold and being replaced by a pair of bespoke 4-way active horn hybrid system that takes things to their logical conclusion. We recently bought a house with a suitable room, just waiting for the Mrs to paint it so I can install the room treatment. Nirvana awaits after nearly 40 years of chopping, changing and learning.

Master
    my other passions are:

My family - Wifey and 3 daughters
    My dogs - German Short Haired Pointers
    Blade-smithing (Forging is my favourite part)
    Exercising - I like to keep fit and sharp

Love this thread - the drawings and machines are all awesome !!