closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CwC old or New?

Master

CwC old or New?

Hi i have been looking to purchase a CWC g10 for sometime,but as i like my watches in as new condition(sorry thats just the way i am),would i be better to buy a brand new watch from silvermans or there is a couple of sellers on ebay selling nos.
    If i went for a nos watch from say the eighties would i be able to get it serviced if needed in the future,also do the older watches have better quality movements inside.
    Thanks.

MB Radio on EBay often has older, military surplus in as new condition but bear in mind the Tritium ageing. I have one.

Old or new, they are all good :)

Quote Originally Posted by AndySquirrel View Post
    Old or new, they are all good :)
    Indeed!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Hi i have been looking to purchase a CWC g10 for sometime,but as i like my watches in as new condition(sorry thats just the way i am),would i be better to buy a brand new watch from silvermans or there is a couple of sellers on ebay selling nos.
    If i went for a nos watch from say the eighties would i be able to get it serviced if needed in the future,also do the older watches have better quality movements inside.
    Thanks.
    I dont think you need to apologise for wanting watches as new Im to some extent the same with my newer pieces, but I think a G10 is maybe a little enhanced by a bit of life just like some vintage watches. I have 1990 one as my daily wearer ( I dont like the term beater) and love the fact I can just pick it up and put it on without being too precious about it.

Anyway if we're showing off our G10s..

Last edited by watkins101; 25th March 2014 at 19:48.

Always old!

It all depends on what you want from the watch really, I have had a few second hand CWC watches and all of them I have moved on. You can probably find a decent second hand one on ebay or in some army supply shop for about £50 or £60 what puts me off a little is these fairy tale ads of watches worn in combat, deflected a Taliban bullet etc etc....

As for getting it serviced or repaired I don't think that's a problem at all, I have had CWC watches fixed up in the past without any problems. Personally though I would get a new one they are not too expensive and you don't have to worry about water resistance or service problems.

Craftsman
    Always old for me - can't see the point of buying service watches unless they've been in service. If this means they're marked, scratched etc all the better as it tends to show an interesting history, which is why I like them.

Master
    Thanks for the replies,i was looking at new old stock and realise that the lume would be non existant because of age.
    Regarding the new watches, i get the impression that the Eta movements are better than the newly fitted rhonda type.

Both here's my nos 1987 war stock G10 it still has its plastic glass protector.

Oh and the old stuff

Here is my New and Old comparision, in WatchTalk.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...WC-auto-divers

I bought two from eBay a few years back for less than the price of one new one just so I didn't need to keep swapping NATOs. Both are still going strong.
    Last edited by mjb; 10th May 2014 at 12:21.

Just thought I would qualify my previous post suggesting to go with a new CWC. In the past 2 weeks I have seen the price of a CWC go from £135 to now £165. You can still get a cheap and cheerful Pulsar for £39. Granted you cant scuff it against a wall and tell people you fought off 10 Taliban insurgents with it but still.....

Master
    I've got both old and new - the one on the left is my 1981 fat case Navigator, which has been in my possession for many years, and has a sentimental attachment; though I rarely wear it. The one on the right is a 2010 version, with an issue number on the back, but which came to me from a friend, and which I have just had a new movement fitted to. The newer version is certainly more usable - the lume works, for example, and the movements are readily and cheaply available, whereas I spent the equivalent of £100+ on getting the old one serviced because you can't find the movements.

But it doesn't have the emotional connection from years of my own professional use, so it'll probably go onto SC before too long, and help fund something on my wish list.

BTW - the impression of different sizes comes from the fatter case of the 1981 version, which takes the dial closer to the lens. They're actually the same diameter.

Last edited by HappyJack; 10th May 2014 at 09:01. Reason: Reposted picture

Master

Thanks for showing

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I've got both old and new - the one on the left is my 1981 fat case Navigator, which has been in my possession for many years, and has a sentimental attachment; though I rarely wear it. The one on the right is a 2010 version, with an issue number on the back, but which came to me from a friend, and which I have just had a new movement fitted to. The newer version is certainly more usable - the lume works, for example, and the movements are readily and cheaply available, whereas I spent the equivalent of £100+ on getting the old one serviced because you can't find the movements.

But it doesn't have the emotional connection from years of my own professional use, so it'll probably go onto SC before too long, and help fund something on my wish list.

BTW - the impression of different sizes comes from the fatter case of the 1981 version, which takes the dial closer to the lens. They're actually the same diameter.

Very interesting two great looking watches,i didn't realise that the fat case was physically bigger looking front on.
    There's two good sellers on ebay, that sell new old stock and I'm very tempted,doesn't bother me about lack of lume,i would love one from the Falklands period.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Just thought I would qualify my previous post suggesting to go with a new CWC. In the past 2 weeks I have seen the price of a CWC go from £135 to now £165. You can still get a cheap and cheerful Pulsar for £39. Granted you cant scuff it against a wall and tell people you fought off 10 Taliban insurgents with it but still.....
    I purchased a mint condition long handed Pulsar G10, but had to get rid as it felt,very toy like to me.
    Wish i had kept it now,as i could of put it on a GasGas bones to beef it up.

Journeyman
    vintage cwc is the way to go

In future I wona hawe in collection one CWC and it must be old (if I hawe lucky with mehanizm manual wind).

Master
    Here's mine. Bought new from Silvermans many moons ago

You could always get a Precista. Mine has a little wabi, more than the pictures show.....

F.T.F.A.

Master

Yours look great

I would have bought a Precista PRs 10 in a heartbeat, unfortunately they were discontinued just as i was about to order one.
    Regarding wabi, i personally just don't get it I'm afraid for me mine have to be mint condition, stupid i know and its my loss but that's the way i am. :((

Apprentice

CWC

I agree it's gotta be old & with the military issue numbers if it's gonna go in to my collection. However I have bought myself the new automatic dated pilots watch as more of a wearing watch, but if it's for the collection old & issued all day long.

Master
    Quick plug - my 2010 CWC Navigator (see above) with military issue numbers is now on SC.

Blog Entries
    My Fat Boy and his mate.