closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hot Tubs

Hot Tubs

Thinking about getting a hot tub for the back garden - have a nice spot for it so real question is does anyone have one, how much do they use it & how much upkeep do they need ? Any other advice also appreciated before I take the plunge so to speak...

I haven't but my brother bought one a few years ago..I think he used it a few times and then sold it. He said it as a nice idea, coming back from work and then getting into it for little bit of relaxation, but the reality never lived up to this. He lost quite a bit of cash when he sold it too. If you're keen some dealers sell pre-owned ones for much less than a new one.

Master

Yes

I have had one for about 10 years, started with a Layzspa(blow up) then a neighbour who had one was selling up and (luckly for me) could not get it out of his garden without a crane so i got it for a song( think he paid £7K).
    I use it every night - i think its pretty economical ( I pay £120/month for my gas and electricty- 3 bed semi)- I only put chlorine granuals in mine and have it down to a T (2 tsps per day)- change the water very 3 months and clean the filter weekly by hosing it out.
    Thats about it.
    I have a Tiger River Sumatran.
    I am sure other will have a 'better' maintainace routine but mine works fine for me and the water says clear for the full 3 months
    Any questions fire away

Master
    Friends of mine have had one in their last property and in their current one.
    They love it, but my observation is that it takes a lot of attention & tweaking.
    For me, the experience is a bit 'meh', like sitting in a hot bath... if you like that sort of thing, go for it but be aware it won't be hassle free.

Its a true lifestyle choice ....

Very popular with "swingers" so I'm told
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

A pal of mine told me a while back that his costed around £30 per month in electricity.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    A pal of mine told me a while back that his costed around £30 per month in electricity.
    I don't pay anywhere near that -but I don't run it 24/7 - I turn it off around 10PM then back on around 3pm
    All depends on how well it's insulated i suppose

Have one and we love it, although last year got less use than previous ones due to a combination of weather/work.

Cheapest chemical combination is Chlorine and can be bought in quite large bulk without the high price that the small hot tub vendors charge. Same with PH Increaser/Reducer etc. Most expensive way are the pre-packaged chemical solutions which you pop one in per day and the job is done.

Electricity wise I would say is £30 a month but I try not to think about the very big kettle in the garden too much.

If I was installing a new one without concern for cost, I would be building one in a outdoor building with sliding doors on three sides to create an indoor/outdoor space. The other thing to consider is they are best with a close by changing room.... then you can use it despite the external weather to an extent.

My mum has one, takes a lot of effort to keep it in good working order, much more than her pool, so much so that it's not been turned on for about 18 months as we were planning on connecting it to the pool filter, heater and all that stuff, we just haven't got round to it yet.
    She will be one of the first to tell you the idea is better than the reality.

Hot Tubs

I have a wooden Scandinavia type one, very economical as it burns wood and I live in a Forrest, needs a good scrub out every now and again and I summer I change the water 2500 liter every week but over the 3 years I have had it I would say I use it most weeks, beware though it can take along time to get it hot like 10 hours but I like fires so it's not really a chore

Oh and the garden is not normally that untidy

Master
    Yes, but can you wear your Rolex Deep Sea SeaDweller in one?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schuhren View Post
    I have a wooden Scandinavia type one, very economical as it burns wood and I live in a Forrest, needs a good scrub out every now and again and I summer I change the water 2500 liter every week but over the 3 years I have had it I would say I use it most weeks, beware though it can take along time to get it hot like 10 hours but I like fires so it's not really a chore
    Andy, so cool that you live in a forest!

I'd love that!

It can be a lot of work though