closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Po 8500 vs 14060

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Po 8500 vs 14060

Peek a boo! Can't decide between 8500 Po or sub but the rolex is easier to wear with a suit and long sleeves.... I've always thought a divers watch/suit are a no-no together but I'm coming around....

Might wear a short sleeve shirt/no jacket for work today, it's looking nice and sunny out!

So 8500 it is!

The 8500 PO is a superb feat of engineering, fabulous movement and excellent finishing, but, it's just too big. The thickness is a little OTT.

The 14060 is quite perfect actually, but it does sometimes feel a little small, especially next to a PO XL.

The 114060 might just be the perfect compromise, but no, you're not allowed to wear any of the above with a suit

Just get an AT 8500.
    Nice and thin and perfect for any occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    The 8500 PO is a superb feat of engineering, fabulous movement and excellent finishing, but, it's just too big. The thickness is a little OTT.

The 14060 is quite perfect actually, but it does sometimes feel a little small, especially next to a PO XL.

The 114060 might just be the perfect compromise, but no, you're not allowed to wear any of the above with a suit
    Three wise comments followed by a perfect observation of good taste.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post

The 8500 looks ridiculous with long sleeved shirts, never mind a suit lol!

However I am coming around to the 14060 as it slides under the cuff with ease.

I think the old sub is fine with a suit - slim, black dial, steel - fits under a cuff. Haven't owned a 'dress' watch since the 80's - some Raymond Weil horror. I think the sub has moved from 'divers watch' to 'classic watch' which means it goes with anything - IMHO.

Having owned the PO 8500, Rolex 14060m and 114060 the PO is the vastly superior watch, only the 114060 is close but the finishing and movement on the Omega are better. I'm wearing my 9300 titanium liquidmetal Chrono as I type. I would caveat that the PO is not a watch for the more scrawny amongst men

I have owned a PO 8500 42 mm, great watch, great movement, but a bit too thick for my taste.

Master
    Overall the Sub is a more comfortable watch to wear and may suit you better. The PO is a quality piece but is heavier and bigger.

14060 for me. It's patently not a dress watch but I think it does look good with a suit; probably down to its relative simplicity and smaller size compared with other sports watches.

Master
    Tough call but my preference would be for the sub. Just so comfortable to wear that you rarely realise it's on the wrist and an all time classic that's hard to beat.

IMO is a perfect watch for any occasion.

14060 for me - classic understated looks that work very well with a suit but also works well with casual clothes.

Normally I'd say go with the Sub.. But I am really getting into the bright Titanium such as from Seiko and Omega.
    A Rolex is heavy, whether it's steel or gold. - It's about time they included a Ti option.

I covet the Rolex in that picture.

Master
    You should try the 8500 PO on the OEM rubber and deployant. It wears a little smaller as a result and looks less bulky. The latest 8500 series rubber is a massive step up on the old stuff,and after a year or so of wear mine still looks like new. I think it makes the watch look more unique too, and it makes the dial really pop.

(Image taken from a Google search)

Master
    Prefer the sub and think you would have been better with an Omega AT white face for a dress watch for when the sun comes out...IMHO.

Banned
    PO with 8500 for sure ! Love it to the hilt, no problem with suit it blends well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    A Rolex is heavy, whether it's steel or gold. - It's about time they included a Ti option.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=30746
    Weight
    14060 - 127 grams
    16610 - 135 grams

I can't find a reference but the 42mm TI PO is no lighter than either of these. Perhaps you meant the current versions.

I have a Planet Ocean 2500 model an it fits perfectly under a shirt cuff.Im tempted to try on the new 8500 model but from what I read(forums esp) ,its far too thick and wont fit under a shirt cuff. Where as the ceramic sub isnt too thick and fits under a shirt cuff perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    I have a Planet Ocean 2500 model an it fits perfectly under a shirt cuff.Im tempted to try on the new 8500 model but from what I read(forums esp) ,its far too thick and wont fit under a shirt cuff. Where as the ceramic sub isnt too thick and fits under a shirt cuff perfectly.
    If it helps I have no problems with mine under a double cuff, but if i'm wearing a single cuff + jumper it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=30746
    Weight
    14060 - 127 grams
    16610 - 135 grams

I can't find a reference but the 42mm TI PO is no lighter than either of these. Perhaps you meant the current versions.
    All else being equal Titanium is considerably lighter than steel:

For example: (using figures I have at hand of 2 otherwise identical watches ):
    GS SBGA029 DIVER, Steel: 201G
    GS SBGA031 DIVER, Titanium: 137G

Nuff said.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    All else being equal Titanium is considerably lighter than steel:

For example: (using figures I have at hand of 2 otherwise identical watches ):
    GS SBGA029 DIVER, Steel: 201G
    GS SBGA031 DIVER, Titanium: 137G

Nuff said.
    Is the TI GS diver too heavy for you, since it's heavier than a SS Rolex which is already too heavy. It's great to like light watches, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to pick on the weight of a Rolex watch - they're already fairly light. Could they be lighter? Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Is the TI GS diver too heavy for you, since it's heavier than a SS Rolex which is already too heavy. It's great to like light watches, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to pick on the weight of a Rolex watch - they're already fairly light. Could they be lighter? Sure.
    I'm a big bloke actually, and I do own several heavy watches.
    I chose that example only to show the considerable difference in weight between Steel and Titanium.
    The modern bright Titanium alloy looks every bit as good as steel nowdays. Perhaps even nicer.
    Yes I would find 201g on my wrist a bit heavy, so given the choice I bought the lighter Ti version which was not much more expensive and is very comfortable thankyou.

Value wise, the rolex will clearly have stronger residuals and will always remain iconic. I really like the omega though, especially the 8500 variants and it's nice to have the option of an OEM bracelet or rubber strap. So if resale etc wasn't an issue, I'd probably go with the planet ocean.

Grand Master
    Whether a watch will fit under a cuff depends (obviously) on how thick the watch is and how loose-fitting the cuff. The latter is influenced by how large the wrist is in relation to the body. If you have fairly thick wrists but a slim body you'll find the cuffs haven`t got much room. Conversely, if you have to buy big shirts (fat f***er?) they'll have more generous cuffs and consequently you'll be able to wear a taller watch.

I sussed this out when my stepson tried my SMP on. He's slightly broader than me but has much thicker wrists. I wear a 15.5 shirt, he wears the same or a 16. However, my 6.7" wrists are far slimmer than his (7.5"), so I can fit a watch under my cuff but he can`t. I could wear a Planet Ocean under a cuff but he can only just wear a SMP which is much slimmer. His big wrists suit a big watch, mine don`t , but he'll have problems wearing a tall watch with long-sleeved shirts.

Basically, it's not all about the watch; the individual's ratio of body size : wrist (and hence the size of shirts worn) has a big influence.

Obvious, really.....but not a lot of people know that!

Paul

Basically, it's not all about the watch; the individual's ratio of body size : wrist (and hence the size of shirts worn) has a big influence.

Obvious, really.....but not a lot of people know that!

Paul[/QUOTE]

That is great advice!

14060! A real classic and just a timeless piece.

With the right patina a killer! 👍👍

Best! Glenn

Craftsman
    iv had a 16610 and now have a PO 8500 and think both are awesome with a suit! i think it really depends on your job etc but i definitely think theres nothing wrong with either!

I do plan to next get a 114060 which i agree with some of the above comments about it being a nice all rounder! :)

I would also love a speedy but i digress!

Grand Master
    In my experience, large, ostentatious jewellery style watches such as modern divers are very often worn at the end of the wrist, pushed out beyond the cuff so everyone can see it.

Those who wear very tall dive watches to the office may therefore better served with "wizard's sleeve" type of cuff.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!