closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ideas for something special, new, about £5700

Master

Ideas for something special, new, about £5700

As the title says really.

TIA.
    Last edited by Dave in Wales; 21st March 2014 at 07:47.

Grand Master
    Dave,

Why not just pick any iconic watch for upto £5700!

So

Speedy
    Sub
    Reverso
    Radiomir

The list goes on but its going on your wrist not ours!
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Dave,

Why not just pick any iconic watch for up to £5700!

So

Speedy
    Sub
    Reverso
    Radiomir

The list goes on but its going on your wrist not ours!
    Thanks but nah, looking for something special.

Grand Master
    My most special watch was £100! If you want something special then its pointless asking us whats special, the list of iconic watches starts with a few of the above but if you feel they are not special then I do not know what you are actually looking for
    RIAC

Banned
    I will sell you that £5700 watch for a grand less.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-%A31K-off-RRP

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    For £5,700, special doesn't come into it.

Cost price doesn't make it special.
    Something custom made would, maybe Dornbluth?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    When you say "new", do you mean new new, or just new to you?

If the former, Burnsey is right. If the latter, then what is "special" to you?

My random sum of money would be on this, although some would say the special is more "needs" with rubber, a chunky case and mix of fonts.

http://www.chrono24.com/en/rogerdubu...-id2401055.htm

What do you class as special. Prestigious brand, custom watch?
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

How about a luxury holiday for you and the wife to somewhere exotic?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    Am glad someone else appreciates that "iconic" (yawn) and "special" aren't always the same thing :)

For (a very precise) £5,700 you would have to buy something where more of the money goes into the watch, not the overheads, and that means no iconic mallwatches. Dornbluth, probably, or something vintage but extremely high quality. Longines '40s-'60s chrono calibres - the 30ch and 30zn - were quite something, and a properly mint one (not Internet/Gumtree "mint!) will be over £5,000 soon esp at an overpriced UK dealer - they hardly ever come up for sale.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Should have kept the Patek Dave, that was special. And lovely!

Master
    Sorry man, special doesn't start until £13k.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    Sorry man, special doesn't start until £13k.

New or second hand?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Doricchi - AD des View Post
    New or second hand?
    Thread title says New. I think the struggle here is the definition of 'special'. Dornbluth are definitely special at this price bracket if exclusivity defines 'special'. However, you are still getting an ETA based movement with the DB (albeit a very beautiful and modified one). So I'd probably choose something like a SubC ND even though it's more common as a watch- because it's got a more 'special' movement.

Think the OP needs to give us some clues as to what defines 'special'......

Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
    Thread title says New. I think the struggle here is the definition of 'special'. Dornbluth are definitely special at this price bracket if exclusivity defines 'special'. However, you are still getting an ETA based movement with the DB (albeit a very beautiful and modified one). So I'd probably choose something like a SubC ND even though it's more common as a watch- because it's got a more 'special' movement.
    I can kind of see where you're coming from here, but a heavily modifed and decorated by hand Dornbluth with the option to customise the movement with unique features like the quatro arrest and any level of decoration you want (and then the dial too), made in annual numbers that equate to what Rolex knock out their mass produced models by the minute ... and that's before you even look at the buying experience of DB against the shopping mall brands like Rolex.

As you say, it all depends on what you consider special, but I'd turf every one of my Rolex's out before my DB went !!!

P.S. If that still doesn't make the DB special enough - you could get the in-house movement model ;-)
    Last edited by Mr Stoat; 21st March 2014 at 13:12.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    I can kind of see where you're coming from here, but a heavily modifed and decorated by hand Dornbluth with the option to customise the movement with unique features like the quatro arrest and any level of decoration you want (and then the dial too), made in annual numbers that equate to what Rolex knock out their mass produced models by the minute ... and that's before you even look at the buying experience of DB against the shopping mall brands like Rolex.

As you say, it all depends on what you consider special, but I'd turf every one of my Rolex's out before my DB went !!!

P.S. If that still doesn't make the DB special enough - you could get the in-house movement model ;-)
    Absolutely, I completely agree. I actually went a long way down the DB route a while back but didn't quite make it (ended up with my Sea-Dweller instead!). However, there's no denying that you're getting something unique because it's made just for you to your specification and with a highly decorated and modified movement, even if it is ETA based in many of the 99. series I believe. You're also dealing directly with the maker rather than some suited sales guy in a mall. So yes, it's pretty special. I take your point about the in-house movements from DB but I don't think they're in the OP budget are they?

My previous Rolex example was perhaps not the best so I'll try to state it differently. The difficulty to me with the OP question is that lots of watches are special, in lots of different ways. For example I'd say Nomos is also special - beautiful watches, nicely decorated in-house movement etc. My Strela is special (to me) because they're not very common, have an interesting history and the Poljot 3133 movement. I could go on, but the point is that "special" is a very individual thing isn't it?

So in my view the OP needs to give some guidance on what defines 'Special'. If it's a non-mall piece that is unique then the DB ticks the boxes. If it's a particular complication in the movement then there may be others that fit better.

Another vote for a personalised Dornbluth here.

The OP needs to define 'special'.

My most 'special' watch is probably worth about £100, but he can't buy it for £57,000! (and it wouldn't be special to him anyway!)

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Omega speedmaster pro meteorite dial?

Craftsman
    Or a Speake-Marin? ETA movement but otherwise unusual. Not my cup of tea but worth throwing in.

Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post
    Absolutely, I completely agree. I actually went a long way down the DB route a while back but didn't quite make it (ended up with my Sea-Dweller instead!). However, there's no denying that you're getting something unique because it's made just for you to your specification and with a highly decorated and modified movement, even if it is ETA based in many of the 99. series I believe. You're also dealing directly with the maker rather than some suited sales guy in a mall. So yes, it's pretty special. I take your point about the in-house movements from DB but I don't think they're in the OP budget are they?

My previous Rolex example was perhaps not the best so I'll try to state it differently. The difficulty to me with the OP question is that lots of watches are special, in lots of different ways. For example I'd say Nomos is also special - beautiful watches, nicely decorated in-house movement etc. My Strela is special (to me) because they're not very common, have an interesting history and the Poljot 3133 movement. I could go on, but the point is that "special" is a very individual thing isn't it?

So in my view the OP needs to give some guidance on what defines 'Special'. If it's a non-mall piece that is unique then the DB ticks the boxes. If it's a particular complication in the movement then there may be others that fit better.
    The in-house DB will be beyond budget come to think of it (sure it's around £7k but i could be totally wrong).

But wholly agree on the complexities of trying to list a suitable watch for the OP that meets the "special" criteria when we have no idea what makes up the criterion to classify it as "special". The two watches that are most special to me aren't wholly defined by the watch themselves and just as much to do with how and why I got them - the DB because the wife bought it for my 40th birthday (though I dealt with Dirk on the actual model / customisations) and a Rolex 16610 because again the wife bought it for me on a whim as a treat and it's the one watch I have that seems to suit all occasions :-)

Master
    GO was one I left out as it's almost a default choice in this price bracket, albeit pre-owned quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    GO was one I left out as it's almost a default choice in this price bracket, albeit pre-owned quite often.
    Never seen one in the wild. Still a rarity I think but apparently rock solid
    Mechanicals. I'm still looking...

Craftsman
    the OP wants a Rolex Sub as that's the only watch for £5700 on the nose.

So get it bought.

why else would you state a number like 5.7k ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post

So get it bought.

Maybe he's returned one and has got that amount to spend now?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post

So get it bought.

A Navitimer is also pretty much on the money at £5760 before discount. I don't think that's what the OP is after though. Maybe it's just how much he has to spend? I admit it is a strange figure....

Nice to see at least a few suggestions that aren't just Subs. Why would anyone post a thread to be recommended a Sub?!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Might stretch to a striking 10th, depending on discounts?
    http://www.zenith-watches.com/en_en/...king-10th.html
    Seconded

Master
    Thanks to one and all, some interesting suggestions there.

Master
    A nice GO Senator, or even Panomatic lunar, maybe.

Add a little extra and order the new Rolex SD4K
    It's just a matter of time...