closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sometimes less is more

Sometimes less is more

Currently on holiday in Thailand and typically my trips to Bangkok involve picking up a Grand Seiko as for me, Bangkok is the best place in the world to buy Grand Seiko - you get 95% of the range that's available in Japan but you can easily get a 40% discount in Bangkok.

Anyway I happened to pop into one of the ADS (Pendulum) in Siam Paragon and the JLC counter caught by eye. In particular the watch that in pics looks incredibly dull but in the metal is (IMHO) understated simplicity at its finest. I am of course referring to the Master Control.

After a bit of haggling a decent deal was struck and I was the proud new owner of this beauty, and very pleased with it I am too. I am a big chap and yet the 39mm case somehow works.

Forgive the poor smartphone pic

Master
    Blog Entries
    My favourite dress watch.

Looked for a long time for one of these, then i became impatient and bought something else.

Journeyman
    When you talk about JLC less is always more. Congratulations!!!

Smart looking watch (not a fan of all their dress watches, but that's smart without being fussy).

I guess with JLC less (features) is more (expensive)?

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Thanks for the tip on grand seiko in Thailand, never knew this!

Master
    Lovely. But what about the most important issue. Did ryanb jr fly first class?

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    Lovely. But what about the most important issue. Did ryanb jr fly first class?
    He flew premium economy LOL! A compromise all round. Daddy is however using his air miles to fly Cathay Pacific in first class back home whilst mummy and RyanB Jr enjoy an extended 2 month holiday with granny and grandad :)

Journeyman
    Really nice, I'm still drawn to JLC but the new price puts me off. Still, if I could get a Deep Sea Chrono at a good discount I might be tempted

Journeyman
    I've been to Thailand a couple of times, but never thought to check watch prices. What sort of discounts do you get from the ADs in general compared to here? And is the RRP much lower?
    Do you get hit for VAT/import duty coming back too?

So many questions...

My favourite jlc from master line.

German watches (Lange, Sinn, GO etc are approx double the price of the UK. The Swiss marques are approx the same list price, 20-25% discount is easily doable (more on niche ranges such as Ulysse Nardin etc). Plus you get 7% VAT back at the airport. Rolex is tricky to get discount off sports range, Grand Seiko I have done 45% off (!) Plus some silly discounts on unpopular (read white dial) watches. As an example I was offered a brand new Patek 5711 white dial for under £12k as white is the colour of death and mourning in Asia and as such white dial models are treated like something that fell out the back of a dog.

Journeyman
    Good info, thanks. I'll take a bit of extra spending money next time :)

Master
    Great watch, i just wish they printed the logo slightly thinner and with a smaller font, would look so much more classier than it is now. Not that its not classy now!!, just my opinion!!

Great catch, and wear in great health!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    German watches (Lange, Sinn, GO etc are approx double the price of the UK. The Swiss marques are approx the same list price, 20-25% discount is easily doable (more on niche ranges such as Ulysse Nardin etc). Plus you get 7% VAT back at the airport. Rolex is tricky to get discount off sports range, Grand Seiko I have done 45% off (!) Plus some silly discounts on unpopular (read white dial) watches. As an example I was offered a brand new Patek 5711 white dial for under £12k as white is the colour of death and mourning in Asia and as such white dial models are treated like something that fell out the back of a dog.
    Interesting that you say this because I went into a Rolex AD in Bangkok a few years ago because they had a new SS Daytona in the window, and when I asked the price it was pretty much double what it was at the time back in the UK. When I asked why it was so expensive I was told it was because European luxury goods command a 100% import duty.

My favourite dress watch, eternal beauty.
    Congrats on your taste.

A classic design, like this and the ultra thin 39 moon.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Interesting that you say this because I went into a Rolex AD in Bangkok a few years ago because they had a new SS Daytona in the window, and when I asked the price it was pretty much double what it was at the time back in the UK. When I asked why it was so expensive I was told it was because European luxury goods command a 100% import duty.
    I know a well known Bangkok AD who would sell me a Black dial at an end cost of 400k Thai Baht (£7450 ish) and a white dial at 360k baht (£6,700 ish), both after tax refund although obviously UK VAT is payable on these unless you forgot to declare

Master
    It seems the old adage of it's not what you know................ Plays true in Thailand as well then. I would have jumped on the Daytona back then had it been offered to me at European prices. They were under 5K then (sighs)

Simple and elegant...congrats!

Craftsman
    Beautiful watch, IMHO one of the best dress and infact even daily watches.
    Elegant simplicity. They always look much better in the flesh.
    Congrats.