closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch for hiking

Watch for hiking

Hi everybody,

what's the watch you use for hiking? Do you like more mechanical analogic or quartz? Of course, pics are welcomes...

Cheers, A.

Craftsman
    For me a hiking watch needs to be light and comfortable, able to take some light knocks and rainproof.
    I just use it for basic time/timings.
    You can get watches with GPS, digital compass & altimeter, but I prefer to use a dedicated gps & compass instead.

Grand Master
    Provided the watch is waterproof, easy to read and you don`t mind it getting scratched, anything will do.

For easy walking I don`t mind wearing something nice, but for serious hill-walking/scrambling etc I`d wear a cheapo. Far too easy to catch them on rocks etc.

Paul

Banned
    Tudor Black Bay for every situation :D

Something with Sunnto written on it for all the lovely information like Altitude, Compass and Atmospheric pressure

Then a free GPS app for the smart phone that overlays onto Google earth so you can see exactly where you are at any time

Also a map for back up

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    For me a hiking watch needs to be light and comfortable, able to take some light knocks and rainproof.
    I just use it for basic time/timings.
    You can get watches with GPS, digital compass & altimeter, but I prefer to use a dedicated gps & compass instead.
    Me too ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Provided the watch is waterproof, easy to read and you don`t mind it getting scratched, anything will do.

For easy walking I don`t mind wearing something nice, but for serious hill-walking/scrambling etc I`d wear a cheapo. Far too easy to catch them on rocks etc.

Paul
    Wise suggestion, anyway I use my Explorer II and at the moment all is going well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Something with Sunnto written on it for all the lovely information like Altitude, Compass and Atmospheric pressure

Then a free GPS app for the smart phone that overlays onto Google earth so you can see exactly where you are at any time

Also a map for back up
    I had a Suunto Core, but not happy about it... :-(

I used my Sinn 103 for my many hikes until I bought a Casio SGW-100-1VEF, cheap, cheerful, has a thermometer (that isn't accurate unless you have it off your wrist, which I knew before I bought it) and it looks good when worn head to foot in Craghopper/Berghaus gear

I wear a solar G-Shock. I don't really need any other functions than it being able to take a beating, as I use a GPS to find my way around.

Master
    I like an ABC watch for this kind of outdoor activities.

I have a suunto x10 which is ok but flipping massive and the gps function drains the battery way too quickly.

I also have a suunto vector which is great.

My best is probably my casio pathfinder which is solar and incorporates altimeter barometer and compass features as well as atomic signal time keeping.

I like an altimeter as it makes keeping track of your progress on a known track witha a map really simple. I always have a map, compass and gps on me though but usually i like the challenge of pin point navigating with a map and compass and rely on the other bells and whistles for check navigation.

Good infos, thanks.

There's some very nice Casio Pathfinder models out there, very useful gadgets when venturing "into the wild". I also like Suunto quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by JeppeRober View Post
    I wear a solar G-Shock. I don't really need any other functions than it being able to take a beating, as I use a GPS to find my way around.
    I have the same I paid about £60 for it and it is radio controlled as well. Has all the duel time alarm functions etc and as you say, I don't really need all those other functions on a watch for hiking. G-Shock can take a beating, water resistant and very good lume if only for a few seconds (Seems to be a common thing with Casio) Only thing I would say about G-Shock watches is they are not very readable at an angle.

I used to use a quartz Wenger which was very good. Nice dial, easy to read and great lume when it started to get a bit dark. Didn't cost much either, don't see the point in taking an expensive watch hiking.

I do a lot of hiking and wildcamping with friends and through scouting and although there are lots of watches that do lots of things, I don't think there is a more failsafe method than a map and compass for navigation. So when out and about and in the middle of nowhere really the point of the watch is to tell the time. For that I find anything simple and easy to read is the best, I have a military seiko that is the one I choose, simple to read, great lume at night. When out and about KISS keep it simple stupid, no need to overcomplicate things.

Other opinions are also valid

I just like hiking old school!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrich View Post
    I do a lot of hiking and wildcamping with friends and through scouting and although there are lots of watches that do lots of things, I don't think there is a more failsafe method than a map and compass for navigation. So when out and about and in the middle of nowhere really the point of the watch is to tell the time. For that I find anything simple and easy to read is the best, I have a military seiko that is the one I choose, simple to read, great lume at night. When out and about KISS keep it simple stupid, no need to overcomplicate things.

Other opinions are also valid

I just like hiking old school!

Rich
    Same for me. I have a Casio Rangeman, full of features, but I don't like it (I admit G-Shock are great watches for outdoor activities). I was thinking for a Damasko watch...

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Poor pic but you get the idea

A Casio Protrek from Creation
    http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...00-1-4147.html
    It's holding up ok and acceptably accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Poor pic but you get the idea

A Casio Protrek from Creation
    http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...00-1-4147.html
    It's holding up ok and acceptably accurate.
    Nice pic, thank you.

My hiking, biking, fishing, whatever watch — the Victorinox titanium DiveMaster 500. Currently being worn on an Isofrane rubber strap.

Master
    Best to stick with something cheap, and on rubber - I find stone stiles murder for steel bracelets and cases (and for cameras, BTW).

I agree over keeping things simple: I always take an old Silva magnetic compass along as well, whatever fancy eNavigation kit i've got.

It's useful to be able to change the battery yourself on the suuntos before a weekend away from civilization. Their internal compass is sometimes useful, say to check which path to take in a wood on a cloudy day, but you'd be pushed to take accurate back bearings with one.

Good comments, guys.

Tried a few while hiking ...

Flat sapphire glass on this Hamilton was too reflective :

IMGP3805 by amokaya, on Flickr

The Orient Excursionist was good but a little big and the bezel too busy :

P1050892 by amokaya, on Flickr

This one was highly accurate but attracted bees :

DSC_5157 by amokaya, on Flickr

This one was less conspicuous and I used it a lot, but the lume is rubbish :

DSC_4478 by amokaya, on Flickr

This one was highly legible and accurate but easy to scratch and expensive to repair :

P1020059 by amokaya, on Flickr

The overall winner by a mile though :

Seiko Monster by amokaya, on Flickr

P1050508 by amokaya, on Flickr

P1050484 by amokaya, on Flickr

IMGP3902 by amokaya, on Flickr

IMGP3896 by amokaya, on Flickr

IMGP3611 by amokaya, on Flickr

The Seiko Monster ( original 7S26 version ). The Hardlex crystal is viewable from any angle, in any conditions, and the lume is second to none. So it remains useful in twilight and hiking in the dark :

Mt Fuji by amokaya, on Flickr

I tried various digitals but readability is poor, and pressing a button to illuminate at night is tedious if wearing gloves, climbing, or carrying poles. The other Seiko dive watches are also good, but the Monster's shrouded and solid bezel, not to mention tough bracelet with no end-links to lose when swapping out for a NATO, makes it the better tool in my opinion.

DSC_3938 by amokaya, on Flickr

Highly recommended.

Paul
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 16th March 2014 at 08:17.

Banned
    Blog Entries

This one...
    Not going on high mountains, so don't need alti and baro.

Master
    How about the Wenger Compass Navigator http://eu.wenger.ch/en/watches/led-n...avigator-70372

Craftsman
    For hiking I love my casio pathfinder PWR 3000. It has the new small sensor which makes it possible to keep the watch size on the sensible side
    http://www.ablogtowatch.com/baselwor...-smaller-case/

Master
    Currently I tend to use my trusty G Shock but it is a bit big and bulky, but takes a beating and is waterproof, handy when out in all weathers.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Currently I tend to use my trusty G Shock but it is a bit big and bulky, but takes a beating and is waterproof, handy when out in all weathers.
    A lot of G-shock here!

I would prefer a scratch-worry-free i.e. something that you won't regret in case things happen....

Last edited by seikomatic; 17th March 2014 at 08:51.

On last trip I had a Suunto T6 HR meter. Not because it is special in any way, quite the opposite: there are plenty as our team uses the Suunto Team Pack (sp?) and these are considered a perishable good under the circumstances.

OTOH, it is plastic, worry-free, waterproof, has a light etc. My kind of trekking watch.

It may also be of importance that the Suuntos work fine in -30 degrees C, even when covered in frost. A tad slow to update the screen, but never failed. I can't wear anything inside the cuff when pulling a sled on skis, so cold resistance is very important.

Great post, I agree with... ;-) thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Tried a few while hiking ...

Flat sapphire glass on this Hamilton was too reflective :

IMGP3805 by amokaya, on Flickr

The Orient Excursionist was good but a little big and the bezel too busy :

P1050892 by amokaya, on Flickr

This one was highly accurate but attracted bees :

DSC_5157 by amokaya, on Flickr

This one was less conspicuous and I used it a lot, but the lume is rubbish :

DSC_4478 by amokaya, on Flickr

This one was highly legible and accurate but easy to scratch and expensive to repair :

P1020059 by amokaya, on Flickr

The overall winner by a mile though :

Seiko Monster by amokaya, on Flickr

P1050508 by amokaya, on Flickr

P1050484 by amokaya, on Flickr

IMGP3902 by amokaya, on Flickr

IMGP3896 by amokaya, on Flickr

IMGP3611 by amokaya, on Flickr

The Seiko Monster ( original 7S26 version ). The Hardlex crystal is viewable from any angle, in any conditions, and the lume is second to none. So it remains useful in twilight and hiking in the dark :

I tried various digitals but readability is poor, and pressing a button to illuminate at night is tedious if wearing gloves, climbing, or carrying poles. The other Seiko dive watches are also good, but the Monster's shrouded and solid bezel, not to mention tough bracelet with no end-links to lose when swapping out for a NATO, makes it the better tool in my opinion.

DSC_3938 by amokaya, on Flickr

Highly recommended.

Paul
    - - - Updated - - -

Another nice suggestion...bravo...

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    I would prefer a scratch-worry-free i.e. something that you won't regret in case things happen....

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    For hiking I love my casio pathfinder PWR 3000. It has the new small sensor which makes it possible to keep the watch size on the sensible side
    http://www.ablogtowatch.com/baselwor...-smaller-case/

After a Seiko Diver - tough and easy to read day or night - this would have to be next. Looks great.

Typical environment. Sorry, no pic of T6.

snow.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hako View Post
    Typical environment. Sorry, no pic of T6.

snow.jpg
    Nice...where is this?

Journeyman
    Suunto Observer Ti takes some beating IMO. Good size, light weight, tough and feature laden for those of us that like to 'have all the gear but no idea'

On last trip I had a Suunto T6 HR meter. Not because it is special in any way, quite the opposite: there are plenty as our team uses the Suunto Team Pack (sp?) and these are considered a perishable good under the circumstances.

OTOH, it is plastic, worry-free, waterproof, has a light etc. My kind of trekking watch.

It may also be of importance that the Suuntos work fine in -30 degrees C, even when covered in frost. A tad slow to update the screen, but never failed. I can't wear anything inside the cuff when pulling a sled on skis, so cold resistance is very important.
    Understand...good feed-back too. I had a Suunto Core, but never able to fall in love, for several reasons: poor legibility in certain conditions, battery life toooo short.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Doricchi - AD des View Post
    Nice...where is this?
    Salpausselkä ridges, some 100 km NE of Helsinki, Finland. Some great areas with steep terrain, lakes, streams, woods.

Salpausselkä ridges, some 100 km NE of Helsinki, Finland. Some great areas with steep terrain, lakes, streams, woods.
    Thanks!

Craftsman
    Any 5600 gshock and a map for me. I used to use a protrek as well but find the G and a cheap Silva compass meets my needs.

I read that in a hurry and what I understood at first glance was: areas with steep terrain, lakes, streams, woods vodka

Great vodka (votka in Finnish) available in the region, but I tend not to mix drinking with hiking. I have done it in the past, but I certainly would not recommend drinking more than 1 litre of whisky / vodka at a Salpalinja bunker and then trying to hike back home next morning. I was very close to exhaustion with less than 2 km to base...

In Finland most natural water is potable without boiling or chemicals. Tastes great as well. So water from a stream for me during the trip. For debriefing, well...

:-D

Great vodka (votka in Finnish) available in the region, but I tend not to mix drinking with hiking. I have done it in the past, but I certainly would not recommend drinking more than 1 litre of whisky / vodka at a Salpalinja bunker and then trying to hike back home next morning. I was very close to exhaustion with less than 2 km to base...

In Finland most natural water is potable without boiling or chemicals. Tastes great as well. So water from a stream for me during the trip. For debriefing, well...

Craftsman
    Don't hike too much but do a fair bit of camping when on a motorbike journey. Used to use a Ball night train dlc which was tough as old boots now it's this guy:

It's a cool watch and thin too. Seiko have recently released a jdm abc solar digital which has peaked my interest. Check it out at chino watch, I quite like it in this green combo:

It's an Alpinist sbeb005

Master
    Blog Entries
    Usually Eddie's PRS17C - small face, can time with both chrono and bezel.

Had a couple if Suuntos and the battery ALWAYS needed replacing each time I went to use them - unlucky I guess.

Suunto watches need so often a battery replacement that I leave my Suunto Core just for this fact...:-(

Submariner 116610LN and G Shock GW5000 1JF for everything.

My two favourites watch for outdoor activities, Rolex Explorer II 216570 and Seiko New Monster

I'm struggling to understand how a watch for hiking is any different to a watch for walking to the shops or just for general activities? Surely all you need is something tough enough and legible enough for everyday activities?

Citizen 'Excalibur' for me, for cycling, walking etc. Another quartz diver: tough, legible, comfy, inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I'm struggling to understand how a watch for hiking is any different to a watch for walking to the shops or just for general activities? Surely all you need is something tough enough and legible enough for everyday activities?
    I am rarely freezing my hind, handling open fire, climbing rocks, hauling heavy loads, splitting wood, digging dirt, fording streams etc on the shop run. Then again, it might just be that our neighbourhood is more pleasant than the average TZ readers'.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    It's another excuse to "need" a new watch. I never looked at a Seiko Orange monster but now I fear my legs will refuse to take to the hills until I get one!