timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC - some images

CWC - some images

Cheers

Foggy

Thanks Foggy, wonderful pics.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Re CWC photos

Yes Foggy great pictures. I too have a divers CWC in silver but I had to buy it new as I could not find a used version. Any ideas of a good place to look on the web please? Just out of interest yours is a R Marines version are these more common then the R Navy version?
    Regards
    Nimrod

Grand Master
    :shock: That is an impressive collection, Foggy :D

Ming

Hi Nimrod

Re issued CWC divers - I haven't seen any on the market in quite a while. I can only suggest trying Anchor Supplies or Ebay. There was a seller on Ebay, clock-shop-online, who used to have these from time to time.

As for rarity of 0552 v 0555, I'm really not sure. I used to see issued CWC's frequently, and I guess I've seen them in about equal numbers.

Cheers

Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy
    As for rarity of 0552 v 0555, I'm really not sure. I used to see issued CWC's frequently, and I guess I've seen them in about equal numbers.

Cheers

Foggy
    I also noted that all the CWC "SBS" watches have the 0555 number for the Royal Marines issue but given the number of SBS divers sold on the civilian market, CWC appear to have made more 0555 watches than there are Royal Marines!

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Re CWC pictures

Thanks Foggy
    I shall try Anchor as some of the things on Ebey look frightening. Just have seen 2 RAF Seiko chronos there price difference of 100 pounds. I wonder which one works?
    Regards
    Nimrod

given the number of SBS divers sold on the civilian market, CWC appear to have made more 0555 watches than there are Royal Marines
    Very true, Eddie. Of course the civilian sold SBS's lack one vital ingredient - the issue number and year :D

Cheers

Foggy

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I also noted that all the CWC "SBS" watches have the 0555 number for the Royal Marines issue but given the number of SBS divers sold on the civilian market, CWC appear to have made more 0555 watches than there are Royal Marines!
    I always figured that with CWC's marking policy, ex-issue and pre-owned "surplus (I.e. made for the civilian market)" watches would become virtually indistinguishable, unless one had access to the military records. I assume any CWC watch to be surplus rather than issue.

Best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I assume any CWC watch to be surplus rather than issue.
    Crusader

So am I right in thinking that any CWC with an issue number and year, your assumption is that these markings have been added by somebody other than the British armed forces ?

Regards

Foggy

given the number of SBS divers sold on the civilian market, CWC appear to have made more 0555 watches than there are Royal Marines
    Very true, Eddie. Of course the civilian sold SBS's lack one vital ingredient - the issue number and year :D

Cheers

Foggy
    I bought a couple of CWC divers, the steel and the PVD, which I sent off to Zeno to check out when I asked them to make the PRS-3, 4 & 11 for me. These were bought brand new through Hal Friedman and they had the issue number and year on the back.

Eddie

Hi Eddie

That is most odd. Here's how I thought the civvie ones that Silvermans etc sold were marked

Cheers

Foggy

I only got one of them back Foggy, the other one was offered back to me minus movement dial and crystal! I'll dig it out and post pictures later.

Eddie

Grand Master
    I assume any CWC watch to be surplus rather than issue.
    Crusader

So am I right in thinking that any CWC with an issue number and year, your assumption is that these markings have been added by somebody other than the British armed forces ?

Regards

Foggy
    Hello Foggy,

I'll happily concede that my posting was a manifestation of my extensive ignorance on this matter. I am more into mil-style than real mil-watches, and the phenomenon of "genuine (surplus) un-issued issue watches" (be they Marathon or CWC) is still largely a mystery to me. I may have just confused one of the numbers that are on the back of the "civilian" watches with the actual issue numbers.

Our postings crossed; had I seen yours earlier I would have realized my limited knowledge and would not have posted in the first place.

THanks for the wonderful images, by the way. I have enjoyed them very much!

Best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Hi Crusader

THanks for the wonderful images, by the way. I have enjoyed them very much!
    My pleasure - glad they are of interest. I'll be trying to post more mil watch pics & information, in the future, for anyone who's interested.

Cheers

Foggy

Grand Master
    From the thread I have gathered that the prefixes of the numbers on the casebacks denote the service branch:
    552 for the Royal Marines, 555 for the Royal Navy (or vice versa?), 6B for the RAF, and (possibly) W10 for the British Army.

Is that assumption correct? Are there other designations that one should be aware of?

Thank you very much, and best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

552 for the Royal Marines, 555 for the Royal Navy
    Yes, other way 'round - 0552 RN, 0555 RM.

As an aside, for anyone interested in military watches, a good book to start with is Ziggy Wesolowski's Concise Guide to Military Timepieces.
    ISBN 1-86126-304-X

Cheers

Foggy

Re CWC photos

Re marking on the back of the service issue watches
    Beeing new to this forum I do not wish to preach to the converted and am Sure that most people know hrat the numbers mean
    W10 Army
    0552 R Navy
    0555 R Marines
    6B or 6BB Raf

6645 is the Nato stock number for a watch
    99 Country of issue (UK obviously)
    5415317 Battery hatch G10 6052627 new 2000 issue snap on back
    These last numbers singify the type of watch . In this instance General Service

Then obviously the serial number and year of issue.

Dont take it for gospel that all these have been issued to the correct services as I have seen some W10 gone to the RAF. I persume if there is a shortage they 'borrow' somefrom the other services.
    On the question of are they genuine. If they have a serial number and a year of issue they will be. I can not see many people trying to put the latter numbers on.
    The ones without these are genuine but simly never issued. Usualy bought via Silvermans. They also lack the service prefix numbers. The only exceptions are the sand and green coloured dials model. Only black are issued.
    Again appologies if I am repeating info you already know!
    Regards
    Nimrod

Grand Master
    Hello Nimrod,

I do not think that repaeting info is a problem on this forum, which is as laid back as it gets. :D

I, for one, appreciated your info very much. Please note, however, that some oft the CWC watches offered by Silverman's display the service prefix, e.g. the G-10/2000.

Best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Re CWC serial numbers

Hi Crusader Yes I have seen that on the 200 issue but the prevoius issue ones I have seen only had the basic numbers and no service prefix.
    Nimrod

Journeyman
    Foggy,

Nice collection and very good pics. :)

Nimrod,

Are currently serving, if so, what mob? I would guess at RAF with a handle like "Nimrod". Forgive me if I'm wrong.

Master
    Great pics Foggy :D