timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: James May on watches

Master

James May on watches

In case you haven't seen it, here's James May on watches:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...new-watch.html

Journeyman
    Love the breaking wind timing. Childish I know.

Craftsman
    I hope top gear don't start doing watches!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I hope top gear don't start doing watches!
    I agree. I wish they would get back to doing a car show!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    In case you haven't seen it, here's James May on watches:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...new-watch.html

An article on watches which manages to say the sum total of nothing about watches.

I like him best out of three of them. Sometimes he's genuinely interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    An article on watches which manages to say the sum total of nothing about watches.
    That's top gear on anything, should be on CBBC

I thought he was having a laugh about the price if the rail master till I saw the date of the article

Master
    i remember reading about him that he still owns every watch he as ever bought.

wonder f that would still be the case if he was a member here.................

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post

For all we know he is...

James needs to stay on topic where he can be moderately witty at times.

Quote Originally Posted by RJK35 View Post
    James needs to stay on topic where he can be moderately witty at times.
    Oh, I dont know - his observations on chronographs were moderately witty, and largely true - how many times do we actually NEED them?

And by, "on topic" do we mean "talking about cars"?

Itd be extremely unfair (and boring) to expect a joiner to only talk about woodwork or a banker about money...

Id guess James May probably has quite a few very valid and witty "off topic" opinions to express in real life.

Yes, I believe that is still true. Here's a video of him chatting about his watches, among other things:

Quote Originally Posted by gbk0505 View Post
    I agree. I wish they would get back to doing a car show!!!
    I gave up on Top Gear years ago.
    All the staged 'races' drive me nuts.
    Any decent normal cars are ridiculed, and super cars are given a huge thumbs up
    At least it is infrequently moderately amusing.

So he got it in the end then

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    All the staged 'races' drive me nuts.
    At least it is infrequently moderately amusing.
    I think the key to enjoying Top Gear is to not think of it as a motoring show, but an entertainment show. Yes, lots of it is staged but they do actually visit those places and do actually drive the cars they're in. It's not a review show or consumer advice TV, just three guys messing about with motoring as the backdrop.

Plus, it's a show for WIS's too - there is a whole website dedicated to the watches the presenters and guests wear on each episode! - http://www.topgeartime.com/

That's weird. I watched last Sunday's episode, what I saw was the polar opposite of what you've just described.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    That's weird. I watched last Sunday's episode, what I saw was the polar opposite of what you've just described.
    Perhaps they have finally returned to the real world?!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    In case you haven't seen it, here's James May on watches: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...new-watch.html
    I liked this ,,

Journeyman
    I like James May's style although he tries to be a bit too blokey some times. I could quite happily lose Clarkson from the show but not May and Hammond. Vick Butler-Henderson would be ideal (in many ways).

As for Top Gear I continue to let myself down and watch it whenever there is a new series and it is becoming more rare that I find anything to want to watch again.

I do enjoy the repeats of the specials on the Dave channel.

I am always surprised that the BBC gets away with the obvious watch product placement that takes place. A camera set up in the passenger side of a RHD card is the ideal location to film a watch. It all looks like there is a great deal of who wears what watch on each show and the watches are usually ones that can be bought from a high street or airport outlet.

To my knowledge they have never worn a G-Shock which is a surprise to me.

Master
    For a guy that is obviously into watches, this was a pointless article meant to entertain the masses rather than put forward his own point of view - very reminiscent of top gear

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    For a guy that is obviously into watches, this was a pointless article meant to entertain the masses rather than put forward his own point of view - very reminiscent of top gear
    Agree. The effect of the article was that the masses now know what to ask for when watch shopping.

Master
    If you want to see cars tested properly you have to watch Chris Harris on Drive (pistonheads). He can actually drive and although he does his share of backing stuff into the corners his commentary and content is very good.......and he's a racer classic Le Mans etc

Perhaps they have finally returned to the real world?!
    I hope not, I don't care a jot for the style of "old" Top Gear. I believe tonight is a return to what you've described though.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    If you want to see cars tested properly you have to watch Chris Harris on Drive..
    I could not agree more. Chris Harris understands cars and what people want to do with them. You don't see web sites or discussion on here (I hope) about what bloody watch Chris Harris wears.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by conger View Post
    I could not agree more. Chris Harris understands cars and what people want to do with them. You don't see web sites or discussion on here (I hope) about what bloody watch Chris Harris wears.
    Sea Dweller :-)

Master
    top gear is not automotive journalism, it is eye candy and ridiculous entertinment, make peace with that and you can enjoy the slap stick ridiculousness of it all.

if you want informative consumer advice: read autocar, whatcar or some other equally stiff and dull nuts and bolts-mpgcomparing-safetyconscious-sensibledriving publication.

top gear is not automotive journalism, it is eye candy and ridiculous entertinment, make peace with that and you can enjoy the slap stick ridiculousness of it all.

if you want informative consumer advice: read autocar, whatcar or some other equally stiff and dull nuts and bolts-mpgcomparing-safetyconscious-sensibledriving publication.
    I think most people can grasp this.

Its so screamingly obvious that it's not an attempt at ground-level automotive journalism that it astounds me that, given its incredible worldwide success, the huge budget it is afforded because of this success and the vast margin by which it beats its rivals in the viewing stakes, anybody would sensibly expect, or want, it to change its format in any way shape or form (more explosions maybe?).

We should all by now be well-acquainted with the principles of creating a formulaic product with mass-appeal which, regardless of actual substance, has enough brand loyalty and recognition to be assured success regardless of its offerings...

In this country, if you want to watch something a little more "grounded", then theres always Vicky-Monkey-Jaw-Butler-Double-Hyphen, Tiff "sleeping gas" Needell and those other presenters (that I simply cannot seem to remember the names of...) who present that other, sometimes vaguely watchable show on channel 5 - you know, the one with an element in its title stolen from top gear and some of the reject presenters from the old top gear show that went down the pan...
    Last edited by Umbongo; 23rd February 2014 at 15:10.

Its out of my league money wise, but him moaning about a measly £1500 is a bit of a laugh. I imagine he makes that in a day.

Master
    I always find James May worth reading on any subject and he seems to be a real watch enthusiast.

I half wish I still had my first watch too. No idea where it is though sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by teadazed View Post
    I always find James May worth reading on any subject and he seems to be a real watch enthusiast.

I half wish I still had my first watch too. No idea where it is though sadly.
    I so wish I had mine. I have fleeting memories of it every now and then - the black strap and white face. I was so young, but I remember looking at the face of it during the school summer holidays one year - stood near the blue railings of my school playing fields.
    Its obviously long gone but I, every now and then, allow myself to hope it got stashed away in my parents loft, or in a suitcase on a wardrobe somewhere...

Journeyman
    I still try on the Aqua Terra xxl monthly when traveling through Zurich airport. It really is huge. I really want one although I prefer the Railmaster xxl. However, it does feel like strapping a clock to your arm.