closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jaeger Le Coutre military pocket watch query.

Jaeger Le Coutre military pocket watch query.

Had a chance to buy one of these today in excellent condition.

The dial was white (?) with black markers, no luminous compound and looked original.

The back was a press on type and not hinged.

Case was chrome plated.

The movement was signed and in a gold finish.

It had a military serial number on the back that started with 6E.

I know nothing of military watches but somehow it looked too clean to me, anyone know of any fakes around? I suppose it could have been made up.

Not being sure I did the sensible thing and left it. The seller wanted Ģ140 for it.

One for my old chums Foggy and James. :D
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Hello Neil

6E is the code for an Observer's pocket watch. From your description, the watch sounds totally legit. I saw a similar JLC recently, for which the seller was asking Ģ170. I declined. I'd say Ģ140 is a reasonable price, assuming pocket watches are your thing.

Cheers

Foggy

Thanks for the info Foggy.

As you know I know nothing of military watches but I liked the look of it and would have shelled out the cash if I knew it was genuine.

But as we all know there is no substitute for experience. :roll:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

HI,

Just got JLC in fair-good condition.

The dial is white with black (green "shadows" under) and orange (3/6/9/12) markers (black "shadows" under).

The back is a press on type. Case is propably silver plated because no "chipping". Brass coming trough on sides. There is also separate 2-piece case for protecting the watch. Bottom part do have red velvet piece inside and top part do have glass. Of course there are openings for crown.

The movement is "Jaeger LeCoultre" and "swiss made" -signed and there is number 467/1 (movement caliber I believe). Gold finish and even some light "decoration" or at least lined milling marks there. Movement itself looks as new and seems to be running in few sec/day.

On the back there is
    "broad arrow"
    G.S.T.P.
    F 02xxx

I know very little of military pocket watches but I know thet this is UK military watch around 1939-40 -era. I have found different explenations for what G.S.T.P. means like:
    General Service Temporary Pattern,
    General Service Trade Pattern or even
    General Service Time Piece.

Any info wellcome as who used these better watches (bomp planes?), how many made, value, what ever.

JP

Hello JP

I'm no expert but AFAIK watches issued to RAF crews would be marked A.M for Air ministry.

Foggy will know better. :wink:

Here's my military JLC (on the left)

Post a pic of yours. :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Hi Neil,

Looks very much like my JLC but hands are a little different. Shape is same but my JLC do not have "borders areas" in hands. Maybe mine are relumed but color is very much same orange as numbers in my dial or hands in your JLC. I have seen both "versions" and even combinations in pictures.

Seems to be that your crown is missing. My JLC do have onion shape crown.

Your JLC looks bigger than mine but propably it is just illusion because the Smiths on side. My JLC is 52mm diameter.

Regards,

JP

Yes mines the same size JP (52mm)

I have been meaning to get a new stem and crown for mine as it will run for a short while if shaken so its probably a runner.

Anyone any idea where I could get a stem and onion crown for it?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Neil,

You can ask Philip Gore at Ferntree Gully Watch & Clock Co. Melbourne. Phil does a lot of work on older watches including military. Email: ftgwatch@iinet.net.au.

I know it's on the other side of the world, but worth a try. Phil is highly regarded by military watch fraternity, has a quite a stock of old stuff and does very sympathetic restorations.

Terry Andrews
    Perth
    Western Australia

Thanks very much Terry. :)

I will do just that.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

So sad :wink: that my 60+ years old JLC is running 4 sec/day fast. Propably I donīt addjust it 8)

JP

Quote Originally Posted by JP (Europe)
    So sad :wink: that my 60+ years old JLC is running 4 sec/day fast. Propably I donīt addjust it 8)

JP
    :lol: Shocking. :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.