closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best free CAD software?

Master

Best free CAD software?

As title i'm looking for software to do simple drawing tasks for work.This would primarily be office layouts and hotel room plans etc. Anything simple to use out there? Doesn't necessarily have to be free just intuitive to use and creates a professional look.

Regards,Craig

Craftsman
    Is google sketchup still free? Pretty easy to use.

The alternative would be to buy a student license for autocad from eBay. The drawing you produce would be watermarked though.

I highly recommand DraftSight, which is Autocad compatible and free.

Quote Originally Posted by NenoS View Post
    I highly recommand DraftSight, which is Autocad compatible and free.
    +1 Use it all the time, not perfect but very good for free software.

I needed to open a CAD file and had no software which would so I searched Google and ended up downloading FREECAD, which solved my problem. I have no idea how good it is as a creation tool but it opened a quite complex Autocad file satisfactorily.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Blog Entries
    If its room layouts your after, wouldn't a home design program be better?
    Have a look at Plan3D online. American but its great for knocking up quick room layouts.

Master
    Thanks for the replies so far. Just downloaded DraftSight so i'll have a look at that.I'll also look at plan3d,thanks Dave as primarily it will be for room design/layout.

Smart draw worth a look- it is very good for floor plans & has hotel , shop & house templates in it - or you can do your own from scratch. It also has templates for electrical installations, fire escape evacuation ( as you would see on the back of your hotel room door ) it's got loads of other templates for landscape gardening, shop front design- I think you can download a limited free version -

Oh and office layouts.... Also it is very intuitive to use & you can very quickly design something with a very professional look that everyone else will think took you hours..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NIGE UK View Post
    Smart draw worth a look- it is very good for floor plans & has hotel , shop & house templates in it - or you can do your own from scratch. It also has templates for electrical installations, fire escape evacuation ( as you would see on the back of your hotel room door ) it's got loads of other templates for landscape gardening, shop front design- I think you can download a limited free version -
    Smart Draw looks looks exactly what I'm looking for however i should have mentioned I'm on a Mac. Any similar alternatives?

A friend of mine uses http://www.belightsoft.com/products/...r/overview.php and creates some stunning presentations. Perhaps a bit over the top for your needs and it's not free.
    But there's a trial version.

Journeyman
    Rhino 3d, very easy to use.

They also do a free 25 save trial.

Craftsman
    Sketchup is easy to use, very intuitive, and gives a pro look for very little work. The type of thing you want to do is not heavy duty in any way. The 3D aspect of Sketchup is excellent.

Craftsman
    I use the free version of SketchUp almost daily, exporting to Kerkthea when good-looking renders are required or you can export in many of the "proper CAD" formats as required.
    I also have DraftSight on hand, but to be fair for my main requirements (historical architectural recreations and general visualisations) SketchUp does pretty much everything I need to do.

Some examples from my ongoing Thor Missile project:

For churning out interior designs, once you get your head around making seperate groups and components Sketchup is very simple to work with, especially if you work full-scale and enter object dimensions directly:

Hope that helps,
    PB

Master
    Hi Paul. Thats really impressive but may be overkill for what i'm after. 'All' i need to be able to do is create simple room/office layouts showing positions of walls/desks/furniture/cubicles etc to a scale i can input separately and work from there.

Thanks,Craig