closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMT's love them, but no use to me.

GMT's love them, but no use to me.

I can remember 5 years ago I actually used a GMT for its purpose lol.

With its dual display, think I'd prefer an Aerospace for travelling

All packed up.

Oh and the hex key is for my newest arrival ;-)

Last edited by MuRph77; 17th February 2014 at 15:43.

I do use a GMT when I am travelling, but not very often as my phone has 4 time-zones readily on view - so I don't phone friends at strange hours.
    It's just a matter of time...

Yeah, again the age old discussion of what's actually needed in modern life anyway.

Funny how times (oh dear!) change.

GMT used to be my least favourite. I never could really see the point in them.
    But now I travel a lot more I find I prefer a GMT now.

I like they way Seiko do it, - so you set the GMT time wth the watch stopped.
    Then the hour hand is fully controllable to whatever time zone you are in without stopping the watch, - excelllent!

Here's my two GMT's:
    (The watches are lovely, - sorry about the poor photo's)

Only occasionally travel on business so I rarely use a GMT complication though I have a couple of GMT watches.

Very much doubt I'm in the minority.
    Last edited by andy tims; 17th February 2014 at 23:22.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If I was going to start using my iphone as a watch I wouldn't wear a watch at all. I always travel with a watch which can show me an alternative timezone. I also often wear one in this country to keep me aware of another time zone where I may be doing business.

Although I have no practical use for this type of movement after retirement, it is still handy on holidays. I still retain my enthusiasm for the GMT genre, and always will.
    After seeing those shots of the Grand Seikos I have another grail!
    (Tried the new Seiko GMT kinetic but didn't like it).

Grand Master
    I'd go so far to say most watch functions are rarely used by the wearer.

I have date watches and don't need it,I have GMT and don't use it,Iv'e had chrono's and have no need to time anything.

But they look good.

Craftsman
    A very appreciated function and most definitely used when travelling abroad.

Master
    I would say that the GMT is probably the most useful function in the modern day vs other complications like Moonphase, chronograph etc. With globalisation, GMT watches are actually quite useful in many industries, like finance for example if you speak with clients in different countries etc

A watch with a date and GMT hand is all I need for regular wear.
    I've given iup with chronos, - I can use any watch to time my eggs.
    I've only got one chrono now (Chopard Mille Miglia) which will doubtless be for sale soon.

Master
    Love these GMT's especially the Heuer Murph.

now sold.

now sold and sadly missed,

As you can see I do enjoy GMT's

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I love my GMTs too and have a few. However as I do travel sometimes on business to countries such as Sri Lanka where the time difference is not in complete hours I find most of them frustrating.
    This is why I like this one. It can allow for differences in timezones to one minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I do use a GMT when I am travelling, but not very often as my phone has 4 time-zones readily on view - so I don't phone friends at strange hours.
    Not the same feeling.

Just like eating a stake, or looking a photo of a stake:)lol

Quote Originally Posted by dingo69 View Post
    Not the same feeling.

Just like eating a stake, or looking a photo of a stake:)lol
    To be honest, I'd far rather look at a photo of a stake than attempt to eat one. A steak, on the other hand .... :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Pedant mode now switched off again. ;-)

Master
    One of the places i would like to have kept track of 2 timezones was a bit awkward as it was 4.5 hours difference and this cant be measured on the gmt watches i have.

Mind you, i do like em though.

My Dreadnought Voyager's GMT hand is set as a 24hr hand.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    My Dreadnought Voyager's GMT hand is set as a 24hr hand.
    Mines set to point at the sun and follow its 15 degrees per hour rate.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    GMT watches are actually quite useful in many industries, like finance for example if you speak with clients in different countries etc

I quite agree. Its not so much about travelling, for me its just about glancing at what time it is when you want to ring someone abroad.

Master
    I have a GMT (or UTC) Sinn purely because of the dash of yellow adding spice to the stark black and white hands and dial.

I tried the new black/blue Rolex GMT at weekend and liked the pop of colour, but not the polished centre links of the bracelet. If I were to get one it'd be for the colour not the GMT functionality as I don't have the need for it these days.

Ant

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    I quite agree. Its not so much about travelling, for me its just about glancing at what time it is when you want to ring someone abroad.
    But surely if you knew someone in another country that you wanted to speak to,then you would automatically know their local time....wouldn't you?.

Simple add or subtract isn't it!.

And if you made the call and they said "why did you wake me up at 3 am",would you apologise saying sorry I didn't have my GMT on today!.

Just another offering by the watch companies to keep some happy and some saying how useful it is......NOT.How did you manage before it was offered on a watch ;).

No not needed,rather like all the damn stuff on a mobile phone,I use it to make calls......to talk,not play damn stupid kiddy games on lol.

Fliegers - I can' fly a plane
    Divers - I don't dive
    Antimagnetic to stupid Gauss rating - I don't play with magnets
    Moonphase - not a smuggler
    Speedmaster - not an astronaut
    Any Chrono especially with tachy bezel - well really

Just saying.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Plus View Post
    Fliegers - I can' fly a plane
    Divers - I don't dive
    Antimagnetic to stupid Gauss rating - I don't play with magnets
    Moonphase - not a smuggler
    Speedmaster - not an astronaut
    Any Chrono especially with tachy bezel - well really

Just saying.
    Well said.

But when I do have overseas dealings, I miss my GMTII.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    One of the places i would like to have kept track of 2 timezones was a bit awkward as it was 4.5 hours difference and this cant be measured on the gmt watches i have.

Mind you, i do like em though.
    I had this same problem in Myanmar last year, GMT + 6.5 hrs.
    I had just bought a Sinn U2 UTC and I think the half hour blew the watch's mind because it threw it's hand in and stopped working!
    Off to pick it up this evening, hopefully it will give me no more problems. Must remember not to take it to another country with a stupid timezone.

Quote Originally Posted by el marinero View Post
    I had this same problem in Myanmar last year, GMT + 6.5 hrs.
    I had just bought a Sinn U2 UTC and I think the half hour blew the watch's mind because it threw it's hand in and stopped working!
    Off to pick it up this evening, hopefully it will give me no more problems. Must remember not to take it to another country with a stupid timezone.

Now this is quite funny that Myanmar should pop up in this thread....... As that little Omega you can just see in the pics, spent a bit of time there ;-)

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=Burma

Master
    If you are spending lots of time in the polar regions of our planet, or spending lots of time underground, in caves etc., then a two-timer is a very useful complication, i.e. you can ascertain whether it's day or night, let alone making a phone call to Delhi without getting you're contact out of bed a 3 o'clock local time in the morning. So, I'm sorted 'cause I have an ExplorerII. Now the chances of me actually using this facility on my watch in the above situations are about nil. But you never know? It's my second favourite complication after chronographs, so I'm also lucky to own a lovely Tutima Grand Classic chrono', quite useless to me really in a practical sense, but I just love them.
    I've always had a soft spot for 'smugglers' like Dr. Syn, so maybe my next watch should have a moonphase complication, now that would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    ...maybe my next watch should have a moonphase complication, now that would be useful.
    Useful...are you a lycanthrope?

Just asking...
    Last edited by PickleB; 18th February 2014 at 18:14.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK35 View Post
    Although I have no practical use for this type of movement after retirement, it is still handy on holidays. I still retain my enthusiasm for the GMT genre, and always will.
    After seeing those shots of the Grand Seikos I have another grail!
    (Tried the new Seiko GMT kinetic but didn't like it).
    What didn't you like about it? I only ask as I got one (victim of the advertising campaign around Christmas time) and I'm really pleased with it, especially for the money.

Lovely detailling on the face, independantly set GMT hand, display back for the kinetic gubbins, good quality bracelet and it's very wearable. And for once a quartz where the second hand hits all the markers! It's my first (and probably only) GMT.

Craftsman
    1) Date
    2) GMT when travelling and need to know when its kids bedtime to call and say good night, and knowing what your "inner time" is about. Never travel without my GMT.
    3) Tons of fun when trying to explain some "non-WIS" how it works and what is the clue of GMT watch.

-OD

Quote Originally Posted by DandyHighwayMan View Post
    What didn't you like about it? I only ask as I got one (victim of the advertising campaign around Christmas time) and I'm really pleased with it, especially for the money.

Lovely detailling on the face, independantly set GMT hand, display back for the kinetic gubbins, good quality bracelet and it's very wearable. And for once a quartz where the second hand hits all the markers! It's my first (and probably only) GMT.
    I have to agree with your assessment of the quality of the watch. Much better than the previous SUN series, but very bulky compared with the 8F56 quartz series (which I use). I have to admit that I am not a great fan of the kinetic movements, as it's wrist or winder all the time, but the Seiko stable produce some v. good pieces.

Actually I am a runner - and use an iPhone

Irony of post clearly lost on you. Are you American? I love GMTs, and was merely drawing attention to the fact that many watches have superfluous attributes
    Last edited by Badger Plus; 18th February 2014 at 18:13.

I used to travel quite a bit so had a few GMTs, my favourite was the Seamaster 50th anniversary

Now they just remind me of better times (I only travel to Birmingham these days, and industrial towns in Germany) so I don't really wear them...

...Irony of post clearly lost on you...
    Not only me?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Well said.

But when I do have overseas dealings, I miss my GMTII.
    My apologies for missing the subtlety.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Not only me?

My apologies for missing the subtlety.
    But are you American?

Used to do quite a bit of traveling with this one, it's gone now but still a favorite of mine.
    Now I don't travel anymore so I use the GMT to track working hours of my Chinese colleagues.

I used to dislike GMTs as I find them confusing and interfering with the elegance of the watch.
    But then I was introduced to offerings from JLC, PP, ALS, and my view changed. Now I have the one below and I use it for travelling.

But are you American?
    I'll give you a clue:

...and I was born and brought up within 12 miles.
    Last edited by PickleB; 18th February 2014 at 19:12.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    I used to dislike GMTs as I find them confusing and interfering with the elegance of the watch.
    But then I was introduced to offerings from JLC, PP, ALS, and my view changed. Now I have the one below and I use it for travelling.

I'm not jealous I'm not jealous I'm not jealous

I'll give you a clue:

...and I was born and brought up within 12 miles.
    EDITED

Oh forget it
    Last edited by Badger Plus; 18th February 2014 at 21:14. Reason: I was being childish

Blog Entries
    The GMT or dual time is one of the few complications I would actually use regularly. As such I have an irrational hankering after one of these...

Anyone have an info or experience on Vulcain?

z

my one and only poor man's GMT.

Journeyman
    This Sinn's in this thread have got me itchy.

Master
    Useful...are you a lycanthrope?

Just asking...
    I used to be but I'm allright noooooooooooooooooooooooow:)

I have managed to pick up a few GMTs although I never seem to use the functionality. When I was in France I did not bother setting it as I could work out one hours time difference in my head. What I do find the GMT hand useful for is when picking up a watch and setting it for the day. I know whether it is on am or pm without having to wind the hands forward to check if the date clicks over.

Journeyman
    Crikey, anyone who actually uses all the complications like a chrono for timing and egg or the GMT to know when to call home from overseas baffles me. A mobile phone does all that stuff far better etc.

The heritage of the complication is part of the brand and aesthetic, nothing more. I must have a GMT cos I'm a fighter pilot, a chrono cos I'm a racing driver, yeah ok!!

Journeyman
    Love GMTs but never use them for their real purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by eastsider View Post
    Crikey, anyone who actually uses all the complications like a chrono for timing and egg or the GMT to know when to call home from overseas baffles me. A mobile phone does all that stuff far better etc.
    I guess you could say the same of telling the current time. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by eastsider View Post
    Until the battery goes flat

To labour the point(s) already made, nobody actually needs a watch at all these days. A friend of mine never wore a watch or had a mobile, but he always knew the time because he knew where all the clocks were. Try it out some time and you'd be surprised how many clocks there are around you, every day: in the car, on the cooker, the thermostat, the wall clock in the office meeting room, your laptop, the town hall clock etc etc. Watches are more convenient to be sure, but that's not really why we wear them. Likewise with complications, I might use the GMT function maybe a handful of times each year but when I do I know it will bring a smile of satisfaction.