closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tag Heuer Genuine or Fakery Help please

Apprentice

Tag Heuer Genuine or Fakery Help please

Hi
    Could i please have your opinion in this watch. I just want to clear things up with an unbiased opinion.
    I am 99.99% sure i know the answer but need other peoples opinion to solve a problem. Will explain once i get some answers.
    Also could some one tell me the model, again i know this but need it from another source.
    Sorry for the poor photo,its all i have.

Not a great picture to tell, but I've seen a lot of fake Tag links and that looks like one of them.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thought the ladies link had a smaller clasp than that one looks like, but it might not be an original bracelet... Odd as that may be.

Most bracelets had alternate brushed/ polished links, but the brushed effect appears to wear pretty quickly, so that's not hugely conclusive in itself.

So all I'd say is if someone had a genuine one of them, they'd probably give you better pics...

- - - Updated - - -

Thought the ladies link had a smaller clasp than that one looks like, but it might not be an original bracelet... Odd as that may be.

Most bracelets had alternate brushed/ polished links, but the brushed effect appears to wear pretty quickly, so that's not hugely conclusive in itself.

So all I'd say is if someone had a genuine one of them, they'd probably give you better pics... These are not particularly rare, so if the deal is too good to be true, I'd walk.

IMO It really needs better photos to make a decision on this one.
    The links don't look quite right but may have had a lot of wear.
    There are a lot of very good looking "Tags" out there from various "stables"

Apprentice
    Yeah sorry about the photo but that is all i have, to me there is one very obvious mistake that can be easily seen, to me the dial is incorrect, did Tag make this model with dot markers ?? Not to my knowledge but someone else may know better.

Blog Entries
    I always say if its to good to be true its probley fake

Journeyman
    It's my biggest fear. Buying a watch in good faith to find out its a copy. Grrrr

Looks fake - bracket not right

That's definitely a fake Sel. There were loads of them about in the nineties but to be honest I'm surprised it's lasted this long.

Apprentice
    I bought this on ebay as in the title and description stated clearly it was genuine, i did not pay too much attention to the pic as this was "genuine" and i am obviously covered by ebays payment protection. Description said well used but nothing a good polish would sort out and at £100 thought i would grab it !!
    Anyway after a while i thought i would google Tag sel only to notice this did not look quite right, all the sel's i found had a dial with batons and not dots "alarm bells", having then googled sel fake's i found page dedicated purely to this watch, low and behold i saw this watch in the rouges gallery. It also has the wrong second hand and crown.
    I contacted the seller and asked him not to send it only to be told "IT IS GENUINE" and it has been sent.
    I have shown him the link and tried to reason with him rather than take this to dispute, he says he will give me a tel no of a jeweler who will verify the watch lol, and again says its genuine.

The watch should turn up in the morning and i am 100% sure its not genuine.
    I was just asking so there was other opinions i could show him prior to opening a case, i would prefer he took it on the chin and reversed the deal rather than getting into a possibly lengthy ebay dispute.
    Last edited by elamskroy; 17th February 2014 at 00:54.

There'll be no lengthy dispute, eBay will find in your favour and refund your money pretty quickly!

Master
    It is one of the more common fake Tag models, most of them have 1500 on the dial which is the biggest give away.

Paypal will refund your cash and ask you to destroy the watch once you have written confirmation from a reputable watch maker or dealer confirming it is a replica. I can help out with this, drop me a pm if you like

Craftsman
    Your 'alarm bells' are correct in this case.
    Hope it comes to a satisfactory resolution.

Apprentice
    Thanks for your comments gentlmen :)

Got the watch this morning and i could not believe my eyes, this one must have been made of titanium as it weighed less that a couple of pound coins.
    I have seen some good fakes and bad bad fakes but his one takes the buiscuit !!

Will keep you posted

Apprentice
    The guy still insists it is genuine!

Feast your eyes on this, all comments welcome.

You must be well pleased with that "bargain"!

Apprentice

Angry

over the moon, lol

You could buy them on the beach in the 90's for £10. Bezel and crown look totally wrong. Funny thing is I had a genuine one years ago and the bracelet wore very quickly - if I remember correctly it also had almost an 'onion' crown.

That is truly truly shocking on every count.

Journeyman
    Unmarked bezel, unmarked quartz movement, Heuer clasp.... three strikes...

Apprentice
    I bought this on his descriprion which said "i can guarantee its 100% genuine"
    I am going blue in the face presenting the evidence to the guy and all he can say is "i can guarantee its 100% genuine"
    ....ohh he also says he knows his rights lol.

I have opened a case so its just a matter of time.

Looks just like the one I bought in Turkey in '98. It's still in a drawer at work, truly awful thing...

I guess you're going to have a lot of fun with this guy.

Even Stevie Wonder could see that's a fake!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    You could buy them on the beach in the 90's for £10. Bezel and crown look totally wrong. Funny thing is I had a genuine one years ago and the bracelet wore very quickly - if I remember correctly it also had almost an 'onion' crown.
    One of my mates bought very similar off the beach on our first 'lads' holiday to Magaluf. Left a green ring around his wrist and the hands fell off within days. Surprised this one is still around.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by racingclub View Post
    One of my mates bought very similar off the beach on our first 'lads' holiday to Magaluf. Left a green ring around his wrist and the hands fell off within days. Surprised this one is still around.
    LOL i had to read this twice, thought his hand had dropped off.

Quote Originally Posted by racingclub View Post
    My friend bought one in the nineties and in addition to the green ring on the wrist his started to run backwards!

The originals aren't great (horrid flimsy bracelets and thin cases) but they are at least made of steel and go in the right direction.

I think I might have been on that same beach in Magaluf on the same day!! Oh, those were the days. Dayglo espadrilles, rayban Wayfarers, white speedos and highlighted hair in the style of Simon le Bon. And all the ladies with dayglo bikinis and matching scrunchies in their hair. Anyone got a time machine??!! Some of those girls were quite memorable!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    My friend bought one in the nineties and in addition to the green ring on the wrist his started to run backwards!

The originals aren't great (horrid flimsy bracelets and thin cases) but they are at least made of steel and go in the right direction.
    Wow, this is an achievement in itself! In this crazy, topsy turvy world of watches this adds value surely?!! lol.

That loo truly awful.