closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The hunt for a Speedmaster moonwatch..

The hunt for a Speedmaster moonwatch..

Hi guys,
    As you can see, I am pretty new to this forum and I can already feel how much love there is in here! Appreciate it everyone!
    The story goes that I am looking to buy an everyday watch (around 1.5k - 3k) that is classic, goes with any strap (so I can change around) and is a classic - so that I would not lose too much money on it if I decided to sell, or ended up shipwrecked somewhere like Ethiopia and needed quick cash!

I have pretty much decided to get the Speedmaster moonwatch (1861 variants) but cannot decide between the variants as of yet. Plus, I am also not sure where would be a good place to hunt. I will try list them below and please let me know your experiences/opinions! Slight persuasion towards other watches also allowed

----------------------

Here goes...

Speedmaster variants
    I am currently undecided between 3570.50 , 3572.50 , 3573.50 and 3576.50

my initial thoughts: Good old classic, cheapest model. Hesalite is cheap to fix/change, and gives a nice colour to the dial. (Scratches removed with polywatch?)

Probably the most prefered version, however it has been a while since they have stopped production for this, so it might be a rare find!

my initial thoughts: Display back a 'cool' factor (show to friends) and can help identify the watch as authentic easily (when selling for hot cash - although unlikely). Sapphire crystal is more scratch resistant.
    cons: apparently sapphire does not present the dial as well (will have to look at the differences again, couldnt notice it much last time). Actually almost £500 more expensive than 3570, and I can retrofit the back on the 3570 (bad idea?) if I want to.

my initial thoughts: An even bigger 'cool' factor and makes it look more prestigious with the moonphase. Date!
    cons: Dial is not indented like the other variants - less prefered.. It is actually almost £1000 more expensive than the 3570, and with the large second hand at 12o'clock.. date function is difficult to read??

Places to buy

Apologies if my opinions/knowledge of these stores have offended any of you you in anyway. You are most welcome to correct me - I respect all opinions!

obvious places..

TZ sales corner!
    Will be looking forward to it when I post my 50th post! (prob tonight haha)

AD shop
    I am aware that the prices have increased by about 15%, so quite reluctant about this. However, I can get 13% off (tourist visa when my friends visit) - PM me if you guys would like to find out more about this, but will have to wait until they come back and if I am going to be wearing it everyday, might as well find a decent condition used and save £££?

jewellers..

Blower Jewellers
    I have been looking on their site for a while now, no watches in stock yet.. but their prices and conditions are pretty much amazing. One thing is that they are all the way in Hull and is posting a good idea? I am based in London and would actually prefer going up to see the watch physically, but would be pretty much gutted if I ended up coming home bare handed.

Austin Kaye
    I was quite marvelled at their stock and prices at first, but after a few visits, I fin that their watches have mostly been heavily reconditioned and actually.. on the expensive side. I also wonder what would their 2 years guarantee actually entail.. cheap parts swap?!?
    The salesmen are hard sellers with hardly any knowledge about the watches so I found it very difficult to speak to them.

Watchfinder
    Actually expensive and I have heard that they swap out parts..

Cope jewellers
    Apparently very good deals, but no online stock...

online..

USA
    Some very good deals in their forums over the sea, but I am aware that I might be liable to import taxes and refunding/claiming can be an issue, although Kringkily probably does the best deals that I have ever seen - great condition and great prices. Man.. I wish I live in the US!!

Watches.co.uk
    No stock yet

ebay
    I'd rather not

--------------
    I will write something up about my knowledge that I have gathered around the web as well as the hunt for the watch in the UK (I have seen so many in the US, but have noticed that there are not too many advices within the UK)
    At first I was going to get the Seamaster SMP but decided that it was not universal enough (looks more kiddy than the Speedy IMO. But I have also started writing something up for that, I will finish that off soon as well.

Apologies for the ranting and thanks in advance fellow watch lovers!
    Last edited by SiderealJ; 15th February 2014 at 01:24.

I'd definitely get the 3570.50 version. Surely the most classic and easiest to resell if it comes to that...

I shouldn't worry about Blowers posting from Hull, they're extremely reliable and professional and the watch would be insured anyway.

As for Sales Corner, I think you need to be a member for 3 months too, not just 50 posts.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    I'd definitely get the 3570.50 version. Surely the most classic and easiest to resell if it comes to that...

I shouldn't worry about Blowers posting from Hull, they're extremely reliable and professional and the watch would be insured anyway.

As for Sales Corner, I think you need to be a member for 3 months too, not just 50 posts.

60 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavaine View Post
    Interesting thread. I chose the 3570 for my Speedy. For me it was an easy choice as I wanted something as close as I could get to the 'moonwatch'. However, if I was buying it as a daily wearer, I might have gone for the sapphire sandwich, as the heaslite does attract scratches easily. If you are ok with your watch showing some signs of wear,(and TBH, the Speedy looks great with some wabi) and you are willing to polish the crystal as necessary, then go with the 3570.

I bought mine from Ace Jewelers in Amsterdam. Great customer service, and they offer a Watchuseek member discount, just by asking. I don't know much about the tax situation for ordering outside the UK, so I don't know if they would be worthwhile for you. For myself the savings more than offset the taxes paid on arrival.
    Hi Lavaine, Thanks for your suggestion! The tax situation within the EU is that there is no import tax between EU countries.
    I presumed you bought yours brand new? I have calculated and have found the watches to be only about £100 cheaper than official AD. How much is the watchuseek discount may I ask?
    Cheers,
    J

I'd go for a freshly serviced vintage model, maybe a tranny.

Lovely watches, although I found mine a little dull after a while and moved it on.

I would be tempted by a Snoopy Ltd Edition though, as like a splash of colour and the case back is cool.

I think there was a 35th Ltd Edition in SC recently too.

Blowers, Watches.co.uk & Watchfinder are all good sources, I've had no problems with any of them.

Dont forget our WTB (Wanted to Buy) section either. I dont think there's any access criteria. Pop a request in there, as there are plenty on the forum.

Good luck in your hunt.

I've been deliberating for ages over one of these, the watch has three attributes that for me are very appealing - hesalite crystal, no date and hand wound movement.

That rules out the sapphire model with display back, (I think display backs are wrong on this kind of watch anyway) so I'm left with either the 3570 (new or used) or much older vintage. I've tried a vintage model and didn't like the rattly bracelet nor do I think I could live with the faded lume and overall patina/wabi so it would have to be a 3570.

I'd probably buy it new from swiss watches direct on a leather strap with deployant for £2,195 or hunt around for a pre-owned mint condition and save a few hundred - they come up regularly on ebay and of course there's Chrono24.

Thanks guys! Appreciate your help so far!

Craftsman
    Very thorough research there, commendable.

For me, it would be the hand-wound classic with the hesalite. Classic looks, the archetype, as well as strong, sturdy, relatively uncomplicated and serviceable by most watchmakers. I think it's actually quite reasonably priced, although I would be tempted to investigate a pre-owned example from the SC on here - it's where I sourced my Sub when I got the urge.

Good luck with the search, and keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquavit View Post
    I've been deliberating for ages over one of these, the watch has three attributes that for me are very appealing - hesalite crystal, no date and hand wound movement.

That rules out the sapphire model with display back, (I think display backs are wrong on this kind of watch anyway) so I'm left with either the 3570 (new or used) or much older vintage. I've tried a vintage model and didn't like the rattly bracelet nor do I think I could live with the faded lume and overall patina/wabi so it would have to be a 3570.

I'd probably buy it new from swiss watches direct on a leather strap with deployant for £2,195 or hunt around for a pre-owned mint condition and save a few hundred - they come up regularly on ebay and of course there's Chrono24.
    Cheers, will check them out! How come swiss watches direct are at a huge discount?? I am always slightly sceptical about new watches that are at heavy discounts..
    Same here, I dont like the faded lumes so much, I feel that these are also too precious for everyday wear.

Quote Originally Posted by delays View Post
    Very thorough research there, commendable.

For me, it would be the hand-wound classic with the hesalite. Classic looks, the archetype, as well as strong, sturdy, relatively uncomplicated and serviceable by most watchmakers. I think it's actually quite reasonably priced, although I would be tempted to investigate a pre-owned example from the SC on here - it's where I sourced my Sub when I got the urge.

Good luck with the search, and keep us updated.
    Definitely, Will post pictures as well as the search journey (hopefully some useful info for those looking for one!)

I am new to TZ, so I will ahve to wait 60 days dont know if I can get that waived...

A couple of points:
    • It may be difficult to find a genuine Omega sapphire case back (there are third party copies available) as I read somewhere that Omega may replace a damaged one if they’re servicing a watch themselves, but won't supply them to their agents.
    • I think you'll get your watch more cheaply from eBay.co.uk than you will from the USA. I've been watching Kringkily's offerings on OmegaForums and, after VAT etc, they aren't such a good deal. Have a look at jmryshi (Jungo Shimizu in H&V) on eBay.

As to which model, I'd be looking for:
    • 861 or later movement…863, 1861, 1863.
    • New(ish) or fairly recently serviced.
    • Hesalite crystal…just love that it's signed with an Ω.

With your budget and as you seem to want to wear and keep your watch for some time (rather than wear it occasionally) I'd probably be following Aquavit's advice at post #8.

Blog Entries
    3576 for me - reason being that Speedies are fairly commonly seen in the wild but i'll bet you a ton of money you've never seen a Speedie Moonphase out there in public. I fancy one of those myself, or more likely in my case a white faced broad arrow moonphase.

I went through the same decision process last year. I ended up buying my 3570 from iconicwatches. Highly recommended. Although in retrospect I should have waited for sc access. I've seen a few minty examples come up on sc since I got access.

I've been through this too. On my second now and it's the bog standard Pro from 2013 from a nice chap on the forum.

I'm really getting on with it, more and more. I was worried about the hesalite (again) but it looks great and is tougher than I thought.

Vintage is a good idea. I'd love a 1975 (my birth year) speedy. Can't go wrong with a Speedy

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    3576 for me - reason being that Speedies are fairly commonly seen in the wild but i'll bet you a ton of money you've never seen a Speedie Moonphase out there in public. I fancy one of those myself, or more likely in my case a white faced broad arrow moonphase.
    Are they really that common though? I've never seen one in the wild and talking of Broad Arrows the main reason I haven't bought a Moonwatch is because I have this:

I also went through the decision process last year after faffing about trying to decide between the 3570 and 3573....initially having the sapphire crystal was a no-brainer for me, regardless of the fact that the hesalite was the purist route for nearly £3000 I want something that won't scratch....but when you see them both in person you quickly realise they are very different, different shapes with different optical effects on the dial, plus a difference of £600 difference in rrp needs to be considered.....that made my choosing take about three years. In this time the price had gone up considerably!!

In the end I went for the 3573, it looks smarter (imo) which is what I'm after.

Regarding the moonphase 3576, for me the standard Speedmaster dial is perfect in every way, however I do love the moonphase version BUT it must be the limited edition from 1985 (?) as the modern version has very distracting reflective rings round the subdials, which for me spoils the whole dial.

My two favourite features on my 3570.50 have to be the domed hesalite and the clean white hands. And the dome + hands make the It really easy to tell the time at a glance from any angle. So easy in fact that I get frustrated with my other watches when i have to subconsciously find the hands on their dials every time I glance at the time.

I've worn mine daily for two months now and I have zero scratches too. I think any issues on that front are exaggerated.

The only issue I have so far is with the bracelet. Not enough micro adjustments and the clasp spring on mine needs to be replaced - on my way into the ad now actually. I guess Nasa haven't space qualified the bracelet though;)

Journeyman
    I too went through a similar process last year when looking for a watch for my 30th. I went for a classic 3570 with a cal. 1861 as I prefer the modern bracelet and I wanted to stick close to the original moon watch, however if I had come across one with hesalite and a display back I would have snapped it up.

Grand Master
    If you are only having one Speedmaster then I would naturally go for the 3570, I have had a load and they are rock solid in every way from reliability to performance and have the classic look and warmth that only Hesalite brings, if you want to mix it up then consider a contrast or a modern sandwich but I think like most people you will not feel the warmth with a sapphire crystal and display case.

Best comparison shot I have

RIAC

Regarding retrofitting the case back. I looked into this briefly. There is a German manufacturer of casebacks for the speedy but if you fit should probably have your watch pressure tested afterwards. I have read of several users that have had issues. Also the movement on the sandwich has been prettied a bit and lacks the inner anti mag case.
    Personally I think casebacks are overrated. I wouldn't consider them a deal breaker on a speedy.

Blog Entries
    Are they really that common though? I've never seen one in the wild and talking of Broad Arrows the main reason I haven't bought a Moonwatch is because I have this:

That's also a stunner, congrats on that

Regarding being common, i'd say the stock Moonwatch is, i see them all the time.....other variations not so, particularly the moonphase.
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 15th February 2014 at 13:05.

Blog Entries
    Just noticed there's one on SC right now going for £1750 and the seller is in Surrey so not far from you.

...Regarding being common, i'd say the stock 3570 is, i see them all the time.....other variations not so, particularly the moonphase.
    I'd agree that the moonphase version isn't common...but how can you tell if you're looking at the 3570 or a 3572, without asking the owner to take it off?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I'd agree that the moonphase version isn't common...but how can you tell if you're looking at the 3570 or a 3572, without asking the owner to take it off?
    You're being a bit pedantic, i'm referring to the stock Moonwatch which is commonly seen in public. I don't really care too much about whether it has a caseback or not.

I'd go for the classic 3570.

If you're looking new, or newish, then I would seriously consider the First Omega in Space, often referred to as FOIS. Vintage looks, but modern reliability.

gl

dd

You're being a bit pedantic, i'm referring to the stock Moonwatch which is commonly seen in public. I don't really care too much about whether it has a caseback or not.
    OK, maybe I am, but you've now changed from "the stock 3570" to "referring to the stock Moonwatch", ie from the specific to a much wider term. Sorry, but that's just me!

Blog Entries
    OK, maybe I am, but you've now changed from "the stock 3570" to "referring to the stock Moonwatch", ie from the specific to a much wider term. Sorry, but that's just me!
    Lol, you need to get out a bit more!

Such useful help and advices, thanks again for the comments so far guys! I think i am leaning towards the 3570.50 now, since redsnapper also mentioned about the anti-mag case, which is true. TBH, I did go down to the AD and did not notice much between the hesalite and sapphire, but I think I will go have a look again and compare side by side.

I love the size, and the clear white hands and lume though - so vintage probable out the window.

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed there's one on SC right now going for £1750 and the seller is in Surrey so not far from you.
    Thanks Darren, in fact someone just PMed me, will see how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    If you are only having one Speedmaster then I would naturally go for the 3570, I have had a load and they are rock solid in every way from reliability to performance and have the classic look and warmth that only Hesalite brings, if you want to mix it up then consider a contrast or a modern sandwich but I think like most people you will not feel the warmth with a sapphire crystal and display case.

Best comparison shot I have
    ASWESOME photos and AWESOME watches! I was also looking into the alaska project speedys, but I think that will have to wait as they are pushing my budget further and further...
    and, lovely strap on the Seadweller! Can you show us more pictures on the clasp/strap? I also have a 116610LN and am looking to get a casual strap.
    I have found RubberB which look amazing at a reasonable price, but have yet to get around to buying!
    Last edited by SiderealJ; 15th February 2014 at 16:51.

Grand Master
    I have sent you a PM so check your inbox
    RIAC

[/URL]
    That's also a stunner, congrats on that

Regarding being common, i'd say the stock Moonwatch is, i see them all the time.....other variations not so, particularly the moonphase.

Ha! Someone in my immediate family has already beaten me to these white broad arrows, and its true.. he hardly wears it .. I do prefer the classic thin hands and black dial though.. thanks for the suggestion anyways!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SiderealJ View Post
    Ha! Someone in my immediate family has already beaten me to these white broad arrows, and its true.. he hardly wears it .. I do prefer the classic thin hands and black dial though.. thanks for the suggestion anyways!
    If he wants to sell it, send him my way ;)

What's your haggling strategy? I got 20% off list from WoS on my 3570 around this time last year.

I was also looking into the alaska project speedy
    In the picture? Looks like an Apollo XI 35th Anniversary. The Alaska project has a white dial with white sundials, the subdial hands look like shuttle capsules.

Enjoy picking your Speedy, hesalite or sapphire crystal both good choices.

Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    In the picture? Looks like an Apollo XI 35th Anniversary. The Alaska project has a white dial with white sundials, the subdial hands look like shuttle capsules.

Enjoy picking your Speedy, hesalite or sapphire crystal both good choices.
    Yes, thats an apollo 11, but I was just referring to a white dial speedy.
    One more lovely pic to share to the community!

...I was just referring to a white dial speedy...
    The Alaska isn't one I like, but this...link ...does it for me!

Master

My favourite Speedy, had one of these about 10 years ago and stupidly sold it

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Downing View Post
    If you're looking new, or newish, then I would seriously consider the First Omega in Space, often referred to as FOIS. Vintage looks, but modern reliability.
    Now there is a man with taste

I went hesalite crystal, sapphire case back and have never regretted it. Decorated movement too. Best model, don't know why they shifted to all sapphire - and yes, I do watch the movement :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    My favourite Speedy, had one of these about 10 years ago and stupidly sold it
    'Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all....as the saying goes

I bought mine a couple of years ago, having lusted after 'a moonwatch' for at least a decade before, but not really knowing a huge amount about the different models.

I didn't get anywhere near this level of research and analysis - just went and looked at a few and fell in love very quickly.
    In hindsight I'm glad I didn't, think I would have paralysed myself trying to make a decision! I've barely worn anything else since having it and that alone means it was a great decision in my mind.

That said, if I could afford to I'd buy dozens of them, love them (just about) all and think you'd be delighted getting to put any of them on your wrist each morning - they're all great choices!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Now there is a man with taste

Lovely, if only it had hesalite.

3570, hold off until SC becomes available. I speak as one who has gone down this route before. Good luck, it's a watch that every self-respecting WIS should own at least once.

Hi mate, you might want to check out that bargain 3573 which was just listed on Sales Corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Hi mate, you might want to check out that bargain 3573 which was just listed on Sales Corner.
    Cant see SC yet! I'll post WTB soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I'm interested...can't find it...can you post a link, please?

I'm interested...can't find it...can you post a link, please?
    It was only a wind-up.

Grand Master
    A wind up is the only one worth having !!!
    RIAC