closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC G10 2000

CWC G10 2000

The RAF use the new CWC G10 2000 issue with the snap on back. It has a battery life of 5 years and after that the MOD will get rid of them. Shame as any jeweler can replace the battery.
    Infact the whole issue of the watches in the MOD I gather is beeing reviewed and I gather that they are looking towards a tri service system rather then issuing watches to individual services.
    The current Seiko chrono issued to fast jet aircrews and rotary winged aircrews is no longer in production and once current stocks are used no one is sure of its replacement.
    There is even a rumour that the previous issue CWC G10 with the battery hatch might come back due to its reliability and it is also cheaper then the 2000 model. Time will tell(No pun itended)

Grand Master
    Hello Nimrod,

very interesting info, thank you !!

I believe Eddie mentioned a few weeks ago that the battery hatch of the G10 was not really very waterproof. What is your experience with the battery hatch vs. other methods of securing the battery/back?

Best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Journeyman
    Hi Nimrod,

That helps a lot with the status of the G10/2000, thanks. It will be interesting to see what the MOD procures in the near future. I wonder how many G10/98 quartz it bought and how many remain in stores?

Crusader,

I have only ever considered the G10/98 quartz to be 3atm water resistant as new or refurbished. An older one would best be considered splash proof IMHO. There is a neoprene (?) sealing ring on the battery hatch but that would deteriorate in time as all sealing rings do.

I've seen a few unserviceable ones in the past and most have suffered water damage, fewer from terminal impact damage.

If the G10 had been made to 10atm specs, I doubt I would "need" another watch. :wink:

Grand Master
    Stan and Nimrod, thanks for the info!

Does anyone have the approximate weight of the CWC G10/2000?

Best regards,

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Re CWC G10 2000

Thanks to Crusader and Stan for their kind comments.
    Re wateresistance to both the new and prevoius model G10. In all fairness they were not designed to be totaly waterproof. For that you would use a divers watch. On the new model it states WEATHERPROTECTED 5ATM. so we can safely say one would not go swimming with it. If one looks at the spec for the previous model on the MOD spec site it actualy states on of the tests that it is imersed in distilled water to check for any air escaping. I certainly would not try that with the firms as I dont think I would be too popular!
    I must admit I am a bit of a CWC G10 freak and own 3 modeld dated 1991
    1995 and 1998. They all keep very good time but the 1991 model is spot on and it never needs adjusting. I set all my wtches to that one. As an all round watch it is still my favourite. I also own a CWC divers and the CWC quartz chrono which lost out to the Seiko as the RAF issue, but for all its lack of fancy gizzmos I still find the G10 my favourite and wear it all the time, either the firms or mine own
    Nimrod