closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1970 Hamilton issued RAF Pilot's chronograph watch - value estimate

Journeyman

Unhappy 1970 Hamilton issued RAF Pilot's chronograph watch - value estimate

Hi all,

Some years ago, I purchased what I originally thought was an issued CWC Pilot's chronograph watch. One of these had been my grail for a long time so jumped at the chance to buy this. The watch was in quite a state. It was not working, had a cracked crystal, had a gold plated top pusher, and was generally filthy. After receiving the watch, I did some research into its origins and realised I had actually bought a Hamilton watch, because CWCs were not issued in 1970 yet the case on this was stamped 1970. Off it went to a watchmaker for servicing, replacement crystal & top pusher and a good clean. I specifically asked for the case not to be polished, but for all the dinks and scratches to remain.

Here are some pics...

as it looks today

movement & case back prior to servicing...

The dial and hands are in excellent condition. Its a shame the original Hamilton dial & (most likely) hands were replaced, but as I understand it the original Hamiltons didn't hold up well. I am not sure when/where they were replaced, but going off the state of the watch when I received it, it was probably a long time ago.

The question is, what would this watch be worth today? I love the watch and would like to keep hold of it for a long time to come, however, my wife and I have recently purchased a house in need of lots of repair and this may well go on the chopping block to fund renovations :(

any advice is greatly appreciated

Cheers
    Ian

Craftsman
    Very hard to say - you might want to try and engage the services of an expert to try and bring it back to its 'as issued' condition first.

Journeyman

Hands

The hands on your watch look similar to my 1972 RAF Hamilton Chrono
    IMO look for a Hamilton dial
    Maybe try MWR and put up a WTB on the PX or on this site
    These watches are in demand and yours appears to be a nice example
    Good luck
    Last edited by agee; 2nd February 2014 at 17:00.

The hands and dial markings are all the same as my 1971 Hamilton chrono. The face has the Hamilton logo + HAMILTON under. Apologies for no photo.
    Would also be very interested in the value, but have been told that it is likely to be a keeper.
    The hands and face are original and I have not heard of either having problems

Journeyman

Hi

I sent you a PM

Beautiful watch!

Journeyman

Thanks for all the comments so far, guys. I would be inclined to source a Hamilton dial if I had the cash, but I'm not sure I could afford it at the moment. And I would probably get more attached to the watch! It may be an option though if a dial came up for the right money. I think it would be difficult to find a Hamilton dial in reasonable condition too.

Back to the question at hand, what are people's opinions on a ball park figure for this in its current guise? More than a CWC but less than a Hamilton? Or, less than a CWC and Hamilton? Its a bit of a Frankenwatch but if the CWC dial was added while it was still in service then its all part of its Mil history. Impossible to determine though...

Ian

Doubt if the CWC dial was added during service use. It's a Hamilton...Any other views on this?

Quote Originally Posted by RJK35 View Post
    Doubt if the CWC dial was added during service use. It's a Hamilton...Any other views on this?
    Totally agree. The movement is an earlier 7733, so period-correct for a 1970 Hamilton. The case is the most unusual (and valuable) element of this watch. The dial is odd with its circled CWC logo. I could be wrong, but I do not believe the circled CWC logo was used on any of the issued CWC 6BB or 0552 chronos. If someone knows better, please post a picture. The chrono seconds hand appears bent, and the chrono minutes hand is incorrect. I agree with Agee -- if it were mine, I'd probably look for a Hamilton dial to put on it, although then I'd probably want different hands since the hands that are on it would look too new for an old Hamilton dial. Another argument for keep and enjoy.

But there are numerous examples of recent sales on this forum's sales corner and eBay if the OP wants a value. Given its mongrel, but nonetheless charming, state, I'd say maybe $700 US, plus or minus. Nice and correct Hamiltons and CWCs seem to be going in the $1000-$1200 USD range these days. Again, I think the early Hamilton case would be the most interesting and strongest selling point of this watch.

Kind Regards,

Myron

Craftsman
    Agree with Myron's valuations - was going to post £4-500 as is £1,000+ with the correct dial. Hard to say exactly as is because most when sold don't admit to being a bit of a bitser... I would definitely do some research and try and contact the restorers to try and pick up the correct dial. If you get it sorted it will be worth a lot more. I doubt the dial would cost anything like the added value to the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RayTango View Post
    most when sold don't admit to being a bit of a bitser...
    This is definitely true!

Quote Originally Posted by RayTango View Post
    I would definitely do some research and try and contact the restorers to try and pick up the correct dial. If you get it sorted it will be worth a lot more. I doubt the dial would cost anything like the added value to the watch.
    Yes! Or keep it just as is and enjoy it worry free. It's a cool watch.

Myron

Journeyman

I agree

I agree with the valuations below
    $750 as is

Apprentice

Would you consider selling

Would ever consider selling this been after one for a wile