closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: (Hopefully) Interesting eBay Buy

(Hopefully) Interesting eBay Buy

Never heard of the brand, but I am a sucker for 70s things and this seems to be so;

The thing that piqued my interest was the sub-seconds register given it has a central seconds hand... or probably minutes? The seller didn't mention it and I cant see any way of operating it - unless everything is done from the one crown.

No pics of the movement, but a number of the other Chromatic watches I have found on google have Ebauches Bettlach pin-pallet movements, so hardly cutting edge or top of the range tech, but functional and solid. Again, just my kind of thing ;)

I don't think I am going to be disappointed for $26, though the delivery estimate is the 13th and I am going to have to find some way of hiding it as I am not allowed to buy any more ;)

ha.. that's funny..

Apparently all my watches look the same.. so I don't have to hide them..

nice find btw.. look forward to seeing the pics..

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    I am going to have to find some way of hiding it as I am not allowed to buy any more ;)

Could it be the same movement as those 'pretend' chronos from Sicura but without the other subdial featured or the pushers? You know the one, with the other subdial at the 10 o clock...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Could it be the same movement as those 'pretend' chronos from Sicura but without the other subdial featured or the pushers? You know the one, with the other subdial at the 10 o clock...
    I am fairly certain it does something and assume it is a minute counter, but really don't know ;)

Craftsman
    Interesting find. I've seen Chromatics on eBay and as you say they always seem to have EB or Basis pin pallets.

It certainly looks the type of dial and hands that go with an EB equipped watch of that era.

I suspect that it should be a sub-second only watch and the movement has been replaced with a central seconds one, leaving the sub dial hand in place. Only my opinion though ;-)

Case looks in decent condition and with a new crystal and clean, it should come up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post
    Interesting find. I've seen Chromatics on eBay and as you say they always seem to have EB or Basis pin pallets.

It certainly looks the type of dial and hands that go with an EB equipped watch of that era.

I suspect that it should be a sub-second only watch and the movement has been replaced with a central seconds one, leaving the sub dial hand in place. Only my opinion though ;-)

Case looks in decent condition and with a new crystal and clean, it should come up nicely.
    Hmm, yes - possible.

I will reserve judgement on replacing the crystal until I see if I can get it running... it being "over wound" ;)

Craftsman
    Hmm, yes - possible.

I will reserve judgement on replacing the crystal until I see if I can get it running... it being "over wound" ;)
    Ah, the classic eBay get out clause. I'm a total sucker for that one :-)

"This watch is missing many key parts but it may just be overwound. "

The presence of the tach scale around the perimeter of the dial suggests that the center seconds hand is a chrono, and that would make the sub dial hand a minutes totalizer, meaning there was no constant seconds hand and that the chrono was operated through the crown. Sounds far fetched, but who knows? I guess you'll find out when you get it.

The EB 8800 movement family does contain examples with sub-seconds, date and minute recorder.

Hope it works out, could be a nice little bargain, provided you can sort out the dreadful "over-winding" - bane of all vintage non-working watches.........

D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The EB 8800 movement family does contain examples with sub-seconds, date and minute recorder.

Hope it works out, could be a nice little bargain, provided you can sort out the dreadful "over-winding" - bane of all vintage non-working watches.........

D
    So they do... and look what I found when googling that movement;

Identical hands ;)

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    The presence of the tach scale around the perimeter of the dial suggests that the center seconds hand is a chrono, and that would make the sub dial hand a minutes totalizer, meaning there was no constant seconds hand and that the chrono was operated through the crown. Sounds far fetched, but who knows? I guess you'll find out when you get it.
    I will find out, but it is more fun to speculate ;)

Ah, the classic eBay get out clause. I'm a total sucker for that one :-)

"This watch is missing many key parts but it may just be overwound. "
    I saw one once that had been in a fire... and which didn't work because it was over-wound ;)

Craftsman
    So they do... and look what I found when googling that movement;

Identical hands ;)

I will find out, but it is more fun to speculate ;)

I'm pretty sure the EB88 series with sub seconds and minute recorders are the chrono ones. These have two sub dials. Can be found in various makes Smiths, Ingersoll.

Of all the problems I've had with EB88's. The main one is a knackered balance pivot (sometimes jewelled). These type of watches get minimal servicing. If the balance is ok they can usually be brought back to life.

I'm pretty sure the EB88 series with sub seconds and minute recorders are the chrono ones. These have two sub dials. Can be found in various makes Smiths, Ingersoll.

Of all the problems I've had with EB88's. The main one is a knackered balance pivot (sometimes jewelled). These type of watches get minimal servicing. If the balance is ok they can usually be brought back to life.
    Hopefully this one will be ok, but it looks to be the same component across the 88 range so looks to be readily available if not ;)

Craftsman
    Hopefully this one will be ok, but it looks to be the same component across the 88 range so looks to be readily available if not ;)
    I've got a parts sheet for them that shows interchangeable parts between the different movements. If it turns out to be that movement, let me know and I'll scan it for you.

Craftsman
    Good luck with that,case retro look sweet I'm a sucker for this style of vintage

...though the delivery estimate is the 13th and I am going to have to find some way of hiding it as I am not allowed to buy any more ;)
    Thanks God I'm not the only one.
    I have agreement with my mother and I state her address for delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by NenoS View Post
    Thanks God I'm not the only one.
    I have agreement with my mother and I state her address for delivery.
    Pah - you're pathetic!

And I should know :)

I've got a parts sheet for them that shows interchangeable parts between the different movements. If it turns out to be that movement, let me know and I'll scan it for you.
    I have one for the base movement, but not for the minute recorder ones..?

We may be getting ahead of ourselves though :)

Yup - you called that one correctly! It is spotless inside, but dry as a bone and the balance is bust. New one ordered ;)

I still am not certain on the movement... it has 8800 stamped on the bottom plate, but it seems it must be an 8806 to have the minute recorder function - but the 8806 should have a pusher at 2 according to Ranfft and this one doesn't - nor does the case.

Maybe it will become clearer if / when I get it ticking ;)

Craftsman
    Yup - you called that one correctly! It is spotless inside, but dry as a bone and the balance is bust. New one ordered ;)

I still am not certain on the movement... it has 8800 stamped on the bottom plate, but it seems it must be an 8806 to have the minute recorder function - but the 8806 should have a pusher at 2 according to Ranfft and this one doesn't - nor does the case.

Maybe it will become clearer if / when I get it ticking ;)
    Shame, at least you should be able to fix it.

Just out of interest, where are you getting the new balance from?

Also, have you got a pic of the movement? 8800 is the sub second one. Does the central seconds hand move if you flick the balance lever?

The plot thickens!

Ian

Shame, at least you should be able to fix it.

Just out of interest, where are you getting the new balance from?

Also, have you got a pic of the movement? 8800 is the sub second one. Does the central seconds hand move if you flick the balance lever?

The plot thickens!

Ian
    Ordered from eBay seller - about 11 quid. The staff on its own is a lot cheaper, but replacing and poising the wheel is probably beyond me :)

Will take some photos when I get home...

Annoying, the movement photo isn't as clear as it appeared when I took it... but the phone is downstairs charging so it will have to do :)

Craftsman

Annoying, the movement photo isn't as clear as it appeared when I took it... but the phone is downstairs charging so it will have to do :)
    Clear enough thanks. Interested to see what happens when it's going!

I can't see how the centre seconds will work as an 8800 is the sub seconds one. It must have had some mods!

Cheers

Ian

Craftsman

EB8800

An old one I know but can anyone please tell Me the size of the centre second hand on one of these please?

Craftsman
    Anyone?Anyone? Bueler ?lol Please Guys I need to order one

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Anyone?Anyone? Bueler ?lol Please Guys I need to order one
    I can’t see all the conversation but are you looking for a centre seconds hand for an EB8800?

I’ve got a few documents for these movements but not sure how much detail they go into.

Craftsman
    Hi Ian yes please.I can’t find what size a centre second hand is for a eb8800.

Don't see the pic, what was it?

Craftsman
    Hi Ian yes please.I can’t find what size a centre second hand is for a eb8800.
    I’ll likely have a spare hand for this. I’ve had a number of these over the years.

Will check.

Craftsman
    Thank You Ian.I can’t find out the tube hole diameter and tube length.

Craftsman
    Thank You Ian.I can’t find out the tube hole diameter and tube length.
    Hi. Sorry. Been really busy with work.

I have a centre second hand from an EB8800 here. PM me your address and I’ll post it you no probs. It’s plain red. You can either use it or measure it.

Ian

Craftsman

Craftsman
    Hi Ian Thank You.Thats very kind of You.PM sent.

Craftsman
    PM sent Ian .Thank You

Craftsman
    PM sent Ian .Thank You
    Been meaning to ask, I didn’t get a PM. Will try sending you one.

Ian