closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strap vs braclet

Apprentice

Strap vs braclet

For the past 5 years I have had a bracelet ... and no problems on a sports watch... recnelt I have moved to a strap for a change the ones I have used are canvas and begin to smell.. do leather straps have the same problem

Banned
    If you get them wet they will, try a good rubber strap instead.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Captainhowdy;3020954]If you get them wet they will, try a good rubber strap instead.[/QUOTE

I cound not agree more and buy the best you can afford ,the soft ones are so comfy and don't forget the mesh bracelets very comfy .

Quote Originally Posted by greggpb View Post
    For the past 5 years I have had a bracelet ... and no problems on a sports watch... recnelt I have moved to a strap for a change the ones I have used are canvas and begin to smell.. do leather straps have the same problem
    Not only the smell is leather strap problem. The smell can be the inherit leather smell emphasized when wet, but also can be produced by decomposition of human sweat and leather debris supported by specific bacterias.
    So it is wise to change the genuine leather strap regularly.
    Beside rubber straps as alternative, Carbon fiber or Kevlar straps with Lorica lining can be considered.

Apprentice
    Cool was on my phones so hard to type.

So the verdict is a good rubber strap or go back to bracelet.

will have a look around..

Thanks
    Gregg

Strap vs braclet

You can clean a dirty leather strap with saddle soap and it'll stop ponging. Then condition it with a leather conditioner. I use neat's foot oil, which is designed to protect leather items (saddles, bridles, boots) that frequently get wet. If you condition it when new, it will go much longer without smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by dbt001 View Post
    You can clean a dirty leather strap with saddle soap and it'll stop ponging. Then condition it with a leather conditioner. I use neat's foot oil, which is designed to protect leather items (saddles, bridles, boots) that frequently get wet. If you condition it when new, it will go much longer without smelling.
    Good tips!

Journeyman
    I remember having been told by a strap maker that leather does not start smelling if you take care of it and don't wear it everyday. He compared it to shoes saying nobody buys nice leather shoes and wears them everyday for 12 or more hours. If they would, the shoes would smell like crazy. With watch straps it's the same...
    I have not worn my leather watch straps enough to find out. But to me, it made sense ;-)

Grand Master
    Bracelet/Rubber or just plain Nato.

Master
    Iould agree with comments about not wearing it every day. I have bracelet, leather, rubber and Nato and to be honest Nato is the one that I have most issues with although they are easy too clean.

Master
    Hold on a second here, logic would say that of course if you don't wear leather everyday it will last longer in time. Because it's not being used.......

If it needs a "rest" surely taking it off whilst sleeping is enough.

Bracelet, leather and rubber are all good options. NATO not so much IMO.

IMHO a good rubber strap is the preferred option to a good bracelet. Leather straps look nice on a watch that spends most of its time off the wrist, but...

In most cases yes. With NATO, you can wash it or you can choose a rubber, which can be easily cleaned, too. If you want leather, there are some Hirsch models that are water resistant or water proof to 100m which are very good in this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by dbt001 View Post
    this how I do mine, for me its leather in the winter, steel natos and rubber in the summer, but then it all depends on my mood and type of watch....

Straps, Bracelets, Zulus and real Rubber - and a good selection of spring bars and a good few tools! Swap them around frequently and enjoy the versatility and freshness...

Craftsman

Strap vs braclet

Quote Originally Posted by greggpb View Post
    Smelly straps? Eeeeuuw! Put them in the washing machine!

I do all my fabric straps about once per month. They're ever so soft if you use fabric conditioner.

Honestly, what next? Soon we'll be talking about not washing our jeans for six months...
    Last edited by usedtobelurch; 30th January 2014 at 22:58.