closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Woke up to this new watch today, did not think I would ever spend this on a watch, LV

Craftsman

Woke up to this new watch today, did not think I would ever spend this on a watch, LV

I must have looked at 20 or so of these and 50+ on Crono, all seem to have bezel marks etc even the 6k ones in London
    or the mint !! ones on crono24 which never seem to be mint.

So as long as mine is real :-) as you never know what you are buying as a novice. I picked up this M serial late last night.
    Just woke up to ajust the and try on this morning :-)

fancy a bit of colour and thought it would go well with my car, was going to buy a driving watch of some kind but pushed the boat out. (just need to find the right time to tell the misses)

Craftsman
    Congratulations - Enjoy both the watch and the car. They both look fantastic.

Trevor

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations. I can see you like green. Enjoy

Great watch and car! Congratulations. I had an LV as my first Rolex but sold it shortly afterwards as I wasn't wearing it much. Looking at your photo makes me miss it and I realise now, I should have bought a green Porsche to go with it instead.

Both fantastic. Looking at the photos I begin to understand where the term "green" with envy may originate

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    My first Rolex as well, lovely.

I dream of that car - a cool watch to boot
    Enjoy both and don't sell either

Journeyman
    It is real green beuty. I like it a lot. For me these version is more beutiful then whole green.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the nice words.

I also think this is far nicer than the full green, and prices seem to reflect that already.
    I just feel a bit guilty owning it, which sounds a bit odd.
    It's now the 3rd most expensive item I own after a house and cars.

And to me a scary amount to spend on such an item.

Can I justify keeping it now is the question.

I have opened the box and looked at it 30 or so times already, thinking " is it mine"
    Dare I wear it, as values are all over the place, the slightest mark brings the price right down, ESP bezel marks.

The case and bracket are also unmarked even the bottom of the clasp has no desk marks.
    It has a very small mark on the glass which I might have to get a new glass for it to be 100% that is OCD fussy, but not sure on the price to do that circa £200 ?

So a grail watch I dare not wear !!! And that's hard to enjoy. On top of which I have still not told the misses.

Or am I just over thinking it all ?

Journeyman
    Dont feel bad about having it. You can allways get the most of your money that you have spend on him, now or maybe for 10 years mote. And how much will your car be worth for 10 years. Belive me these is much better investment then car.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post

I also think this is far nicer than the full green, and prices seem to reflect that already.

I have opened the box and looked at it 30 or so times already, thinking " is it mine"
    Dare I wear it, as values are all over the place, the slightest mark brings the price right down, ESP bezel marks.

The case and bracket are also unmarked even the bottom of the clasp has no desk marks.
    It has a very small mark on the glass which I might have to get a new glass for it to be 100% that is OCD fussy, but not sure on the price to do that circa £200 ?

So a grail watch I dare not wear !!! And that's hard to enjoy. On top of which I have still not told the misses.

How I look at it with Rolex is..

even if you get a couple of scratches or dings [that we all try to avoid like the plague] When it goes in for a service, Rolex will return it to you looking pristine. It may cost a few bob, but for that particular watch, it's well worth it and you can get to wear it instead of it sitting in it's box

Craftsman
    The cars rarer than the watch lol, only about 100 uk manual rhd R's.
    Prob about 30 or so in peridot green maybe less.
    Best car I have owned and as some know I have owned many many cars.

Master
    Great looking LV,can't go too far wrong with old or new. I have a soft spot for both.

"So a grail watch I dare not wear !!! And that's hard to enjoy. On top of which I have still not told the misses.

Or am I just over thinking it all "

I think you are, That is a super cool watch the only Rolex that I covet. Congrats on your purchase but when all is said and done its a Rolex sports model Wear it every day for 4/5 years look at it 20, 30 times a day and you will still be able to think wow I love owning this watch. Wear it to the gym wear it to work wear it to bed. So what if it take a few minor scrapes along the way god forbid the bezel gets scratched and the bracelet gets swirlies. Send it back to Rolex in 5 years time for a service and for a few hundred quid it will come back looking like it does today. So cost of ownership is £500 pound or so for 5 years of wear and enjoyment of an iconic timepiece. It will no doubt Have increased in value by more than that anyway.How much will the car have cost you in the same time frame many times the original price of the watch but you drive the car and don't worry about stone chips mileage and a host of other factors that will affect its future value. Wear it love it and enjoy it, is that not the point? That being said ...........

I realize that you went to a great deal of trouble to get a 99.5% minter and that you don't want to spoil it that's why sometimes its better to buy a 95 per center and that dreaded first dink etc is all ready out of the way. If you find you don't want to wear it for fear of marking it or wear it and constantly worry about it, best to sell it recoup your funds and buy another in good used condition for less money and enjoy it that would be my solution. Or buy another and keep this one as a Minter and an investment to be worn on special occasions only.

Of course it is entirely up to you what you do with it and I am no way criticizing you or your choice whatever you decide, just responding to your direct quote of

"So a grail watch I dare not wear !!! And that's hard to enjoy" and adding an outside perspective and a possible solution to your dilemma, nice dilemma to have by the way.

You will lose far less from wear on the watch than wear on the car. Use them both and enjoy them as you're meant to.

The value of the watch must be small change to the money you have in that car.

Just wear it and enjoy (both)!

Congratulations. Beautiful watch.

Master
    You drive the car (or do you just take it out to wash it ) so wear the watch and enjoy it. The impact on value is small vs the enjoyment you will get.

Weren't Omega better than Rolex last week?

Lovely watch, I had one many years ago and do miss it; it was very unusual. Wear it and enjoy it, there's nothing that can't be repaired/replaced at service - it's not like putting miles on a car.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Weren't Omega better than Rolex last week?

Lovely watch, I had one many years ago and do miss it; it was very unusual. Wear it and enjoy it, there's nothing that can't be repaired/replaced at service - it's not like putting miles on a car.
    In the box the omega does look the better built watch to me.
    The glass on the omega also looks invisible where the Rolex reflects more.

I felt a draw to the LV due to my car ownership and Rolex holding value, with the green bezel being a bit of fun.
    I also wanted to see what the fuss is about owning a Rolex :-)

Tough choice as I was looking for a driving watch but none caught my eye.

Journeyman
    I see that you have the rare car, but i did not refferd to your car, i was thinking about comon cars and watches like these.

Banned
    I like the car a lot, the watch not at all.

you should have a old heuer driving that.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post

That is your opinion. But rolex is right choice. And heuer is also good watch for these car. Good idea. Rolex and heuer you can have them both.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post

I do have a tag Monaco which I wear quite often, does that count :-)

Gf home now, she says my Omega looks a far more expensive piece and is def the stand out watch when all 4 are side by side.

Master
    Lovely. The Kermit is so much nicer than the Hulk, IMHO.

And I cannot believe I like the Cayman, despite writing on the door, and the colour, the colour!

Very nice.
    This is the watch I'm looking to buy a some point in 2014. Let me know if it gets disqualified by the GF :-)

Nice watch. Nice motor too.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    Very nice.

Craftsman

If you're thinking like this, you need to get rid!

You have bought a fantastic watch, stick it on your wrist and enjoy it....forget value, depreciation etc as there are so many variables to define what it might be worth in twenty years that you could drive yourself insane and scratches you put on it now will probably have no impact at all.....they could be removed at service.......have you ever seen a pristine proper vintage watch

If you can't enjoy it for its purpose, you need to change it

Master
    No point in having a Rolex and keep as a safe queen.

Just wear it mate but wear it carefully and be sensible (as I am sure you are) about what you do whilst wearing it.
    after all you would'nt take your car off roading or banger racing would you? That 's what bangers are for.
    Same with nice watches, you would'nt do any angle grinding or arc welding or even DIY whilst wearing it, that's what beaters are for.
    Some people have more money and watches than sense but that's up to them, we work hard for these obscenely over priced luxury items so what's wrong with treating them with respect and looking after our investment, such as it ever is with watches.

Having said all that, ignore me as I never keep a watch long enough to scratch it anyway!

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you cant enjoy it then get rid of it ASAP.

The guilt feelings disappear after a day or two as well as the hurt of the first scratch!

Master
    Bad news, Bro. The Cayman's gonna have to go. It don't match the Rolex.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Bad news, Bro. The Cayman's gonna have to go. It don't match the Rolex.
    Don't tell me, it's a very bad colour for resale, worth about 50% of what a black one is, but you'll take it off his hands for £3.27p and a lightly sucked Werthers? :)

Master
    Had a new Cayman for a day recently, while my old 911 was being serviced.

Impressive car. Light, accurate, responsive, quick, good noise inside and out, and so on.

PDK excellent and helps to push the car to its limits.

Mind you, the 'Sport Plus' setting's a neck-snapper, isn't it?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Had a new Cayman for a day recently, while my old 911 was being serviced.

Impressive car. Light, accurate, responsive, quick, good noise inside and out, and so on.

PDK excellent and helps to push the car to its limits.

Mind you, the 'Sport Plus' setting's a neck-snapper, isn't it?
    Not a PDK driver, I like more driver involvement :-), great Car the R for that, helps push me to the limits
    Last edited by Mrdemon; 26th January 2014 at 12:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fraggle42 View Post
    Don't tell me, it's a very bad colour for resale, worth about 50% of what a black one is, but you'll take it off his hands for £3.27p and a lightly sucked Werthers? :)

Craftsman
    Very nice, not sure witch I like better car or watch

Great choice for both.

The LV 50th is just peachy and the Cayman R is the bomb!

Master
    Not a PDK driver, I like more driver involvement :-), great Car the R for that, helps push me to the limits
    Didn't know Porsche still made cars with three pedals.

How cute.

Love the green!

Goes to show how different we are - I have worn my LV pretty much 24/7 for over 6 years now, but having had cars damaged, vandalised and since the advent of the speed camera I would never spend much many on a car. Just wear the watch and enjoy it - they're not at all delicate!

congrats on both watch and car!
    just use and enjoy, because life is just too short not to.
    cheers

They are both absolutely fabulous and engineered to be used! Enjoy them in good health. Use them both whenever you can and if they break then fix them! I have a feeling you'll cherish both anyway :)

Craftsman
    Been wearing the LV most days, I think it was the shock of the 5k outlay lol
    And now as always looking at my next one really fancy a iwc pilot crono

My LV has been nicked by my other half - she borrowed it to try after she had borrowed my GMT C for best part of a year. The borrowing of the LV seems to be going well as a month later she is still borrowing it.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Well the depreciation on your porker over 3 years would buy an audemars piquet, a reverso AND your LV so don't worry too much about wearing the LV!

I'm only jealous, I promised myself a porsche before I was 40 but it's too late now (I'm 41 in a couple of months!)

Maybe next year lol!

Nice watch and car

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gshort67 View Post
    Nice watch and car
    Enough said-------