closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on the Bremont P-51?

Master

Thoughts on the Bremont P-51?

With only 251 made, these don't often come up for sale. However I may have found one and I wondered what people think of these.

Gimmicky or a cool themed piece?

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/bremont-mustang-p-51-watch/

I like them, but it would depend on the price, though these do seem to have held quite well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I like them, but it would depend on the price, though these do seem to have held quite well.
    Yeah they aren't cheap. You're lucky to pay their original retail of around £8k.

Chris has one of these, i quite like them and its probably one of the easiest Bremonts to sell on.

Awesome watch and Hell of the plane

I love it, the top Bremont I reckon.

Too much going on for my liking. I much prefer the simplicity of the Solo or ALT1-C

Other watch manufacturers don't feel the need to cut parts off historically significant items and stick them into their products in a vain attempt to acquire additional mystique and a sense of history. That sort of behaviour, in my book, defines gimmick.

They make some nice watches, the MBII for example, but too often they seem to be trying too hard with the USPs, I wonder why.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    They make some nice watches, the MBII for example, but too often they seem to be trying too hard with the USPs, I wonder why.
    I suppose they have more ground to make up on the marketing front, not being able to sell 'heritage' the way that their more established competition can.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Other watch manufacturers don't feel the need to cut parts off historically significant items and stick them into their products in a vain attempt to acquire additional mystique and a sense of history. That sort of behaviour, in my book, defines gimmick.

I suppose it would be gimmicky to a watch collector/enthusiast, but to others it is a talking point. Most discussions I have with "non-watch" people revolve around things they can relate to (a "Bond" Seamaster for example). A guy at work saw me looking at the Bremont website and we ended up discussing the Codebreaker and Bletchley Park - normally the conversation would have petered out quickly and switched to football (yawn....)

It's probably my favourite of the LE Bremonts (although the EP120 *probably* wins out in a head-to-head). If you can find one at a good price, I shoudn't hesitate to grab it.

As an aside, some might find it gimmicky, while others see it as a fantastic homage to an amazing plane by a brand that's dedicated to the air in a way that so many aren't. I don't think it's particularly fair to compare / contrast, but, were you, for example, to look at the way IWC uses the SaintEx and Darwin Foundation brands, versus Bremont's use of historic 'planes, I know which side of the fence I'd land...

Fragile but Agile by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Craftsman
    I love the P51 watch and I think it's one of the best watches Bremont have done. They still had one in the AD when I bought my WT and I wish I had of splashed out the extra cash on the P51. They're prob the only Bremont that holds it value too(though the EP120 may be the same) if you were buying with you sensible hat on.

I can see why some people may find the Bremont lt eds a bit gimmicky but I think they're fantastic. I love the thought that there's a bit of plane/boat/whatever in my watch and the places it's been and the things it's done.

I'm sure they sell well, and overall I quite like the look, but for me it's gimmick all the way.
    I mean what's a UK new millennium watch manufacturer got to do with a WW-II american plane? Oh it's got a bit of tin on the dial, and a tacky rotor / prop blade in the back. *great*
    Not even a homage to the plane (that's just marketing BS) the P-51 being iconic just helps sell watches to suckers.
    Last edited by rob-vicar; 21st January 2014 at 10:23.

Lovely watch and I've seen them go for more than 10K !!

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    I mean what's a UK new millennium watch manufacturer got to do with a WW-II american plane?
    Well, they do sponsor the Horseman Flight Team...

What's with all the 'fragile agile' stuff on the propeller? - I think the dial is quite nice but what has it got to do with a WWII fighter plane? Nothing against this watch in particular but I always find these car/plane/watch tie-ins desperately naff. All a bit 'look how butch I am my watch has got aeroplane bits in it'. I'm sure the 12 year old version of me would love it actually, but I've grown up a bit since then!

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Well, they do sponsor the Horseman Flight Team...
    Fair enough and good luck to them. Breitling have their Jet Team, but you don't see them slapping in a bit of metal from a Messerschmitt Bf 109 and flogging it off as historical do you?
    Although they would have a less tenuous connection to them.

As said I quite like the watch, just can't get past the tacky add ons and gimmicky sales pitch

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    What's with all the 'fragile agile' stuff on the propeller? - I think the dial is quite nice but what has it got to do with a WWII fighter plane? Nothing against this watch in particular but I always find these car/plane/watch tie-ins desperately naff. All a bit 'look how butch I am my watch has got aeroplane bits in it'. I'm sure the 12 year old version of me would love it actually, but I've grown up a bit since then!
    It's the name of the 'plane...

FBA on the Flightline by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Fragile Horsemen flight by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Banned
    I think its an amazing watch, right up my street, but like others have said very expensive (perhaps overpriced) and the second hand value is more than RRP! it was definately and investment for those lucky enough to buy one.

Craftsman

That's very nice.Like the case and crown knurled'would like the sub dial same colour as dial,silver grey is a bit odd or is it me

I don't mind the watch really, it has some nice design elements.

Not keen on the sapphire back though as the 7750 is a bit of a rough and ready movement that was designed to be manufactured cheaply not for its aesthetics.

The thing I have against it is its price. Takes the idea of overpricing and adds a cherry on top!

Mitch

I think it's a stunning watch and love the idea of the involvement of historical planes, ships, places etc in the Bremont catalogue (but then I am an unashamed Bremot fan).

There's a guy on Alt1tude looking to sell his for £7500, out of my budget at this point having bought a BC-S2 a couple of weeks back, but could be a good investment for anyone in the market.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    With only 251 made, these don't often come up for sale. However I may have found one and I wondered what people think of these.

Wayne
    I'd say both mate but I really rate Bremont (as we discussed a few haters on here) and I personally really like this and the EP120 - but then I love planes and watches. If I had the folding, there was one available, and the price was right - I'd have one in a heartbeat. You're not gone ng bump into someone else wearing one either.
    If you do pull the trigger can you wear it next time you come to London.

MB11 is by far my favourite and will be my one and only purchase of 2014 , but the exhibition back on the Mustang is superb.

I love mine!.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    I'm sure they sell well, and overall I quite like the look, but for me it's gimmick all the way.
    I mean what's a UK new millennium watch manufacturer got to do with a WW-II american plane? Oh it's got a bit of tin on the dial, and a tacky rotor / prop blade in the back. *great*
    Not even a homage to the plane (that's just marketing BS) the P-51 being iconic just helps sell watches to suckers.
    Wow, and they call ME hard on marketing and Veblen stuff.

I agree offcourse.

Nevertheless the watch has been sucked up with such enthusiasm that it is a safe bet to buy. I cannot see the star of Bremont falling from the sky as fast as their chosen theme might either.
    So if the OT likes the watch and thinks it value for money he could do a lot worse. What we think about the watch is irrevant; it IS desireble enough for sufficient people to hold it' s value well.

I think watches with aesthetic features like propellers and bits of other stuff in there are designed for people who dont care about watches.

Im not saying anyone who buys one doesnt care about watches, im just saying that those 2 brothers are probably sat there laughing their knackers of at the people prepared to pay so much extra money for what is essentially paint and tin.

Blog Entries
    Its a cracking watch, but too much of an expensive purchase for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepsteeth View Post

Im not saying anyone who buys one doesnt care about watches, im just saying that those 2 brothers are probably sat there laughing their knackers of at the people prepared to pay so much extra money for what is essentially paint and tin.
    Sure
    But then again a Ferrari is just a bit of paint and tin too, but with an engine?

All that bs about the Mustang being the cadillac of the skies makes me smile. It was designed and built to a british design brief and it used a rolls royce engine!

With the outbreak of World War II in 1939, the British government established a purchasing commission in the United States to acquire aircraft to supplement the Royal Air Force. Overseen by Sir Henry Self, this commission initially sought to acquire large numbers of the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk for use in Europe. This plan proved unworkable as the Curtiss-Wright plant was unable to take new orders. As a result, Self asked James "Dutch" Kindelberger at North American if his company could produce the fighter under contract.

Kindelberger replied that rather than transition North American's assembly lines to the P-40, he could have a superior fighter designed in less time. In response to this offer, Sir Wilfrid Freeman, the head of the British Ministry of Aircraft Production placed an order for 320 aircraft in March 1940. With this order in hand, North American designers Raymond Rice and Edgar Schmued began the NA-73X project to create a fighter around the P-40's Allison V-1710 engine. Due to Britain's wartime needs, the project progressed rapidly and a prototype was ready for testing only 117 days after the order was placed.

In April 1942, the RAF asked Rolls-Royce to work on addressing the aircraft's high altitude woes. Engineers quickly realized that many of the issues could be resolved by swapping the Allison with one of their Merlin 61 engines equipped with a two speed, two stage supercharger. Testing in Britain and America, where the engine was built under contract as the Packard V-1650-3, proved highly successful. Immediately put into mass production as the P-51B/C (British Mk III), the aircraft began reaching the frontlines in late 1943.

The P51 is a great watch but for my money it's overshadowed by the sublime EP120. I had a close look at one of the brothers' personal EP120s in the Boutique and absolutely loved it to bits. For me, it was neither gimmicky or overdone. Both watches seem to hold their value well and look a fair investment (as far as watches as investments go, that is). Whatever you do, I'd be surprised if you lost much money on it if you were to buy one. Bremont have their knockers but they always seem to sell out of their LEs pretty quickly, even at the prices they charge, so they must be doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Sure
    But then again a Ferrari is just a bit of paint and tin too, but with an engine?
    i think comparing bremont and ferrari might be a bit of a stretch, even for their biggest fanboys.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepsteeth View Post
    i think comparing bremont and ferrari might be a bit of a stretch, even for their biggest fanboys.
    Yes, Ferrari's are far too common.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post

A cool themed piece - although of the 2, I prefer the one with the Spitfire parts in it :-)

Journeyman
    I really like the effect of a moving prop they have managed to create on the sub dial very nice. All in all its a bit over the top and tries too hard to link to the theme. It's like something out of American Chopper to be honest but as I say there are parts and queues on this that are great.
    Last edited by Bifl; 22nd January 2014 at 09:05.