closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono, info and opinions?

Craftsman

Question Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono, info and opinions?

A friend of mine wants to buy his first "serious" watch and this is what he has his eyes on. He asked me for an opinion and I couldn't really say much except that the brand reminds me of soap manufacturers and sunglasses. It rings no bells really. Also the fact that he linked the watch to me from Amazon.com made me cringe a bit. It's a fine looking flyback but apparently sold at Amazon and other places, always seemingly at a great rebate: http://www.amazon.com/Baume-Mercier-.../dp/B005O0R4I2

What are these things made of? Is it an ETA inside or what? I would bet on huge depreciation.

Of course as I told him, it's up to him in the end but I also told him that when he's willing to spend 5000€, what I would do is patiently scan the pre owned marketplaces for something with bit more name, tradition and feeling. Then again, that's just me. He's also moving to Canada for few years so I would bet the American larger and cheaper markets are also available to him there...

Master
    You can find all the details about the watch here (it's a pretty good review): http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2011/12...ack-chron.html

The movement seems to be a La Joux-Perret calibre 8147-2, but more on that in the link.

Cheers.

Craftsman
    The one in Ernest Jones is a fair bit cheaper than Amazon.com and there is no risk of any taxes to pay if your friend is in the EU. With a 50% discount it starts to be worth considering but there would still be a fair amount of pain if he ever wanted to sell it. As you suggested, that amount of money would go much further in the used market.