closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue/Black GMT or SubC ND

Blue/Black GMT or SubC ND

Appreciate this will always be a personal taste thing but I'm debating one of the above two.

I currently have a GMTc that I'm selling as I need to release some funds but am going to use half of that as a deposit for one of the above with the rest on 0%. Its not essential I do this, but booking too many holidays and not realising how much its going to cost me sees me needing a few bob this year and I don't want to touch the ISA's. Anyway, the 0% deals are great.

I really like the look of the 116710BLNR especially as I love my GMTc. However, is a change better if I do this? I've always bought watches pre-owned but have always fancied being a first owner and sticking with it hence this decision.

I've not seen either in the flesh but know I will like them both.

Any thoughts? I've actually put my name down for a GMT at the moment as I've been quoted 3 month lead time - 1 month quoted for the sub. Out of the ND/Date ones, I actually like the look of the ND - if I was going for a date version I'd plump for the GMT over this myself anyway

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got a date SubC and the black/blue. Personally, the black/blue gets my vote. The blue is stunning in the flesh and the polished centre links add a little bit of something to the overall look.

Craftsman
    the ND sub gets my vote. I may be biased as i plan it to be my next watch, but i just think its a more versatile piece. I think the blue/black is a bit loud and perhaps doesnt look as high end. This is purely my personal opinion however :)

If you're a one watch man then the subc arguably covers more bases :)

The blue GMT is fresh and great looking, but personally I prefer the more classic and minimal SubC ND.

I love the Blue/Black GMT, it looks superb, but it's a very different watch to the Sub.

As an all rounder, it would be the Sub for me, especially if you think about the GMT having polished centre links and no glide-lock clasp. Two things that are really important to me on my Sub:

Master
    Sub ND for me,classic and a bargain vs other prices in the range.

Choice

I went for the SubC ND, both however are great pieces and you won't go far wrong with either!

Master
    Another vote for the Sub ND here. I personally find the blue too contrived. I love my green Sub (and blue is a colour I prefer to green) BUT the blue GMT just doesn't do it for me.

The Sub ND is a class act IMO. I know you've said that if you were to go for a date then you would just get the GMT (LB or LN) - but I would suggest you do consider a Sub Date - no PCLs to tease the OCD, and the greater adjusting clasp. I also prefer the smaller number font on the Sub C to the bigger font on the GMT. If you are adamant that is it is to be a date watch then it would be a GMT then perhaps just get a new GMT LN on interest free - you know you;ll be happy with it, and it'll be new, and hopefully a keeper.

I need a date on a watch and find the GMT hand distracting so neither for me (from bitter experience of repeated flipping!) but effectively swapping one GMTc for another with a splash if colour seems pointless? So I'd vote sub ND in your position.

I like a bit of colour :)

I don't have either at the minute, and most probably won't try them. I think I'd have the SubC LV first, and the either a SubC Date,or the GMTB/B.
    It's just a matter of time...

Thanks for the input all (and cheers Dave O for your comparison).

I actually really like the PCL's (one of the reason I went for the GMT in the first place). I do also understand the preference reasons for the sub too tho.

Great pics Ross as well - thanks for those.

If it wasn't for going down the 0% route I'd have probably gone for either of the subs on the sc as there's an nd and date one. But the thing is just how much I like the gmts as well - I use the GMT function a fair bit.

Will take all comments into consideration and appreciate them. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    But the thing is just how much I like the gmts as well - I use the GMT function a fair bit.
    That was going to be my question, would you use the GMT function. If yes, and you like PCLs, it's a no brainer!

If the GMT function is important I think that answers the question.

Master
    I loved the blue in all the pictures but when I saw it IRL, I really didn't like the shade of blue it actually was.

GMT it's a bit different, sub looks OK and is a safe choice but too conservative for my liking.

Craftsman
    Really drawn to the blue/black. But I've think I've learned my lesson with colour and Rolex, having bought the Sub 116610 LV - absolutely loved it to start with, then I just stopped wearing it because of the very reason I bought it: the green bezel! And the cyclops really started to annoy me too. It now spends all of its time in my watch box... So I'd go for the Sub ND.

Journeyman
    SubC gets my vote value for money wise & looks

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    I loved the blue in all the pictures but when I saw it IRL, I really didn't like the shade of blue it actually was.
    That's an interesting point actually. Remember loving the 116613 blue until I saw it (previously had the none ceramic version). Might have to check one out to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    I agree ( having only seen one in a shop window ) that the colour looked less attractive than in pictures.

GMT for me every time . Cant wear a watch that has no date and although the blue/black is not my favorite combination I do like it alot.

The GMT function has the definite edge and there aren't many BLNR clones around. The BLNR looks almost all black in some lighting and the blue is actually quite pleasing when it does show.

Master
    That's an interesting point actually. Remember loving the 116613 blue until I saw it (previously had the none ceramic version). Might have to check one out to be sure.
    I do recommend you to check it out first IRL. Totally different look IMO.

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.

Going to have a look at an ND and Date tomorrow to give me an idea - still leaning towards the GMT at the moment but want to see one but thats easier said than done.

Could probably see me going for something completely different or the Sub date after all this!

Thanks again

You simply cannot go wrong with a Sub C (date or non) as a "tick every box quality watch"..............but the BLNR is lush. I resisted the the Ceramic Rolex models for years but once you have one on your wrist for a while and get the maxi case you won't go back.

I'm looking for one (BLNR GMT) now and biding my time for the right one at the right price.

Craftsman
    black and and Blue is my choice,the blue on the bezel just balances the case and dial and gives the watch of quality .Not that the other isn't --a non loose decision either way both are sweeeeet

IMHO, SUB with GMT function is a bit exotic to my taste, but this is just my opinion. I like the minimalistic watch faces.

Well have been to look at subs today and have actually now decided I prefer the date to the non date. Also, seeing side by side with a GMT it does look very nice and not as busy bezel (even though I love the GMT).

At least I now know which of the subs I prefer after originally thinking I preferred the other.

Well have been to look at subs today and have actually now decided I prefer the date to the non date. Also, seeing side by side with a GMT it does look very nice and not as busy bezel (even though I love the GMT). At least I now know which of the subs I prefer after originally thinking I preferred the other.
    I know what you mean re the date Paul. Can't go wrong IMHO :)

Black/Blue GMT would get my vote - or save a few pounds and get the regular GMTC.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I know what you mean re the date Paul. Can't go wrong IMHO :)

Lovely Thom! Nice one..!

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Black/Blue GMT would get my vote - or save a few pounds and get the regular GMTC.
    I've just sold the regular one. I have debated just getting it again due to my circumstances (and love it still) but going for a bit of a change. I think...

Lovely Thom! Nice one..! I've just sold the regular one. I have debated just getting it again due to my circumstances (and love it still) but going for a bit of a change. I think...
    I love the sub and would have both if I could!

If you like the polished centre links, have you considered a yachtmaster? Bit pricey and not everyone's cup of tea but I like the blue dial version especially. Much less common than subs and gmts.

Well have been to look at subs today and have actually now decided I prefer the date to the non date. Also, seeing side by side with a GMT it does look very nice and not as busy bezel (even though I love the GMT).

At least I now know which of the subs I prefer after originally thinking I preferred the other.
    The busy bezel was the one thing that pushed me to PX my GMT for a Sub-D.

I love the sub and would have both if I could!

If you like the polished centre links, have you considered a yachtmaster? Bit pricey and not everyone's cup of tea but I like the blue dial version especially. Much less common than subs and gmts.
    I love the photos of the blue dial yachtmaster but am not keen on the bezel. Saw the light faced one today as well and wasn't too keen, especially for the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    The busy bezel was the one thing that pushed me to PX my GMT for a Sub-D.
    Thanks waser - I'm beginning to lean this way a little too. Just wish I could see the blue/black GMT in the flesh by the side of the date sub

Master
    I own a SubND and love it.
    Having seen the new Explorer II and GMT blue I am not sure which I would buy, more likely to choose the explorer II as it's slightly cheaper.

And on sales forum already.

Gmt. Most definitely

Quote Originally Posted by Horologos View Post
    I own a SubND and love it.
    Having seen the new Explorer II and GMT blue I am not sure which I would buy, more likely to choose the explorer II as it's slightly cheaper.

And on sales forum already.

I've liked and fancied the 42mm explorer ii since release. However looked at one a few weeks back and in the flesh it didn't do anything for me.

If it were my money it would be going on the GMT without a doubt

I love GMTs and have a 16750 and a 16710 , but the blue would put me off the new one.

Craftsman
    GMT every day. I love the blue!

I would say go for either the SUB C LV or the BLNR but then I am biased. I do love a Rolex with a bit of colour and the ceramic bezeled watches are the most versatile in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    I would say go for either the SUB C LV or the BLNR but then I am biased. I do love a Rolex with a bit of colour and the ceramic bezeled watches are the most versatile in my collection.

Both beautiful looking watches there. Agree that a bit of colour is a good thing! very nice

However, I have this afternoon bought myself the following!

Been over to David Robinson in Manchester as they'd had one Sub date delivered yesterday among basically a full delivery - well full excluding the Blue/Black GMT. I genuinely sat and debated the GMT over the sub (considered getting the black GMT again as I've mentioned earlier) but after 30 minutes I made my mind up and the choice was the sub. Within that 30 mins I was still debating the blue black as well - however this purchase is one I see as being my forever watch. And I can easily see myself with the sub on now, in 5, 10, 20+ years. Not sure I felt the same with the GMT's.

I will say I do prefer the look of the GMT at present but the sub just did it for me - and the mrs was won over by it as well after previously saying she wasn't keen. I also looked at the Hulk, albeit in the window but as much as I like it, I couldn't see myself wearing it day after day.

Saying that, I'm leaving my name down for the blue/black for the moment - you never know.

Thanks everyone for your help and thoughts/comments on here. Think it seems to be 50/50 anyway and as I see it both watches have pluses over the other. But as I say, when I considered everything I loved the simplicity and classic lines of the sub - and am now a very happy man!

One final thing too - the staff at David Robinsons were fantastic. Very impressed and it was genuinely a very nice buying experience. The added bonus I didn't know of either is they give 3yr warranties on Rolex and offer bracelet cleaning/sprucing for free for life!

Banned
    The Black blue is not defined indoors without good light and on the wrist it's easy to forget it's a bruiser, but get it outside in the light and it's another story, I always have a look from the other perspective (another wrist) and believe me it stands out from the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    The Black blue is not defined indoors without good light and on the wrist it's easy to forget it's a bruiser, but get it outside in the light and it's another story, I always have a look from the other perspective (another wrist) and believe me it stands out from the rest.
    In a good or bad way (in your opinion)?

However, I have this afternoon bought myself the following!

Been over to David Robinson in Manchester as they'd had one Sub date delivered yesterday among basically a full delivery - well full excluding the Blue/Black GMT. I genuinely sat and debated the GMT over the sub (considered getting the black GMT again as I've mentioned earlier) but after 30 minutes I made my mind up and the choice was the sub. Within that 30 mins I was still debating the blue black as well - however this purchase is one I see as being my forever watch. And I can easily see myself with the sub on now, in 5, 10, 20+ years. Not sure I felt the same with the GMT's.

I will say I do prefer the look of the GMT at present but the sub just did it for me - and the mrs was won over by it as well after previously saying she wasn't keen. I also looked at the Hulk, albeit in the window but as much as I like it, I couldn't see myself wearing it day after day.

Saying that, I'm leaving my name down for the blue/black for the moment - you never know.

Thanks everyone for your help and thoughts/comments on here. Think it seems to be 50/50 anyway and as I see it both watches have pluses over the other. But as I say, when I considered everything I loved the simplicity and classic lines of the sub - and am now a very happy man!

One final thing too - the staff at David Robinsons were fantastic. Very impressed and it was genuinely a very nice buying experience. The added bonus I didn't know of either is they give 3yr warranties on Rolex and offer bracelet cleaning/sprucing for free for life!
    Very nice.

Did you get a decent discount?

However, I have this afternoon bought myself the following! Been over to David Robinson in Manchester as they'd had one Sub date delivered yesterday among basically a full delivery - well full excluding the Blue/Black GMT. I genuinely sat and debated the GMT over the sub (considered getting the black GMT again as I've mentioned earlier) but after 30 minutes I made my mind up and the choice was the sub. Within that 30 mins I was still debating the blue black as well - however this purchase is one I see as being my forever watch. And I can easily see myself with the sub on now, in 5, 10, 20+ years. Not sure I felt the same with the GMT's. I will say I do prefer the look of the GMT at present but the sub just did it for me - and the mrs was won over by it as well after previously saying she wasn't keen. I also looked at the Hulk, albeit in the window but as much as I like it, I couldn't see myself wearing it day after day. Saying that, I'm leaving my name down for the blue/black for the moment - you never know. Thanks everyone for your help and thoughts/comments on here. Think it seems to be 50/50 anyway and as I see it both watches have pluses over the other. But as I say, when I considered everything I loved the simplicity and classic lines of the sub - and am now a very happy man! One final thing too - the staff at David Robinsons were fantastic. Very impressed and it was genuinely a very nice buying experience. The added bonus I didn't know of either is they give 3yr warranties on Rolex and offer bracelet cleaning/sprucing for free for life!
    Knowing you are a one watch man I think you definitely made the right decision. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Very nice.

Did you get a decent discount?
    Thanks

I've bought it on 0% so wasn't an option - although I even had to pay a deposit just for them to hold it for a couple of hours (it was the only one they'd got and was delivered yesterday).

I did debate buying one from UK Bullion in Sheffield straight purchase (on my 0% card) for the discount but they seem very difficult to get hold of.

Knowing you are a one watch man I think you definitely made the right decision. Congratulations!
    Cheers Thom. Really pleased!

Banned
    In a good or bad way (in your opinion)?

A good way, if you look at the LV it turns a different shade of green as it passes the eye from a deep green to light, the BLNR springs to life in the light and really stands out, both for the wearer and the starer.

I did a SOTC the other day http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...70#post3003770

I was wearing my SubDate at the time of taking the pictures it's so comfortable and stealth I forgot to put it in the picture. I love this one as the coronet lines up perfectly when fully screwed in

A dull indoor view of the BLNR, not very inspiring.

still indoors but in the light

Still waiting for a sunny day

Great choice the Sub I am sure you will enjoy it.
    Last edited by Fords; 19th January 2014 at 20:32.

Thanks fords - great pictures those and I get what you mean re: the colours.

I am sure when I finally see the Blue/Black I'll like it - definitely like every picture I've seen. I am a one watch man at the moment, but who knows......

But as I say, great pics and a great thread you've done as well.