closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breitling Emergency - who buys these??

Red face Breitling Emergency - who buys these??

Having seen one fail to sell on SC recently I was wondering who actually buys these watches with the expectation of one day really having to use the emergency beacon? Apart from Ray Mears and Bear Grylls, who would need one?? :)

I don't think it's the same as buying a 1000m dive watch and only ever going snorkelling. Or is it?

Does anyone actually know anyone who's life has been saved by this watch? Professionals in the rescue business are probably going to use cheaper and more robust tracking devices, so who are Breitling targetting this watch at?

There's loads of nice watches that 'fail to sell' on sc, it's not always the watches fault. To me, the beacon is almost the same as having a massively over specced dive watch, except that the emergency is particularly unique in this aspect. I still have yet to find a speedy owner who knows how to work that tachymeter thing . Having an almost defunct feature doesn't seem to have harmed its appeal amongst the watch fraternity. Wearing a Bremont MB isn't exactly going to save your life . But as a marketing tool the aviation link has proven itself to be attractive to the punters.
    Last edited by seikopath; 16th January 2014 at 18:13.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I guess it's similar to buying a 1000M watch and taking it off to wash up...

You could argue if you're in a position to need a rescue beacon - Sailing, mountaineering, skiing off piste, etc, etc, etc - You'd have some emergency equipment, but I guess having one more in such situations can only be a good thing.

I don't have one, but I think they're a cool bit of gadgetry, which is probably why most people who buy them actually do.

M

PS I can work a tachymeter
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    I believe an updated model Emergency II was released last year, with an updated transponder, which may impact on the value and desirability of the earlier model. http://www.gizmag.com/breitling-emergency-2/27364/

Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post
    I believe an updated model Emergency II was released last year, with an updated transponder, which may impact on the value and desirability of the earlier model. http://www.gizmag.com/breitling-emergency-2/27364/
    Indeed, duel-band, huge and rather expensive...the old version looks fantastic value in comparison.

As for the original question, some find it astetically pleasing, others like that its a talking point, regardless, it doesn't really matter. I have a number of pilots and divers watches and rarely make it beyond my desk :o)

Forgive my ignorance but what happens if you actually set the thing off? E. G. In a pub...

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but what happens if you actually set the thing off? E. G. In a pub...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Assuming the signal is monitored and picked up (and this was a point of contention on the earlier emergency model) then a false call out may result in you being charged for the costs of the "rescue". I've never owned an emergency but I believe you also have to sign some paperwork to say you will not use the emergency feature unnecessarily.

Breitling Emergency - who buys these??

A hefty fine I believe.

Edit: much better responses above!
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 16th January 2014 at 18:40.

Master
    Blog Entries
    How long does the transponder battery last / how is it powered??

Its a cool idea I suppose, I read an article that some Canadian (if I remember rightly) used it and was successfully rescued from a Mountain.

Activate the beacon, and get a response

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafsearchandre...tions/arcc.cfm

Master
    I think the fine is a grey area. After all the purchaser signs with Breitling, not the emergency services.

Also if it's bought second hand the new owner doesn't sign anything

SC has nothing to do with popularity. January is never a great month to sell especially with credit card bills looming from Christmas spending.

Had the one on SC had the yellow dial, I would have been making an offer.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I am not certain about this, but believe that the first owner is responsible in getting the new owner to sign up?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    How long does the transponder battery last / how is it powered??

Its a cool idea I suppose, I read an article that some Canadian (if I remember rightly) used it and was successfully rescued from a Mountain.

There are 2 seperate batteries on the watch. One that powers the watch itself and one for the emergency transponder only. They need changing about once every 6 years or so and Breitling change them both at service

As for setting it off by mistake..It's nigh on impossible as you need to firstly break the seal [like a pill bottle] on the lower [larger] transponder, unscrew it to it's full length and then pull the antenna out [a long coiled wire] Then repeat the process on the top [smaller] transponder antenna. Only then is the watch put into "Emegergency Mode"

You have to sign a waiver with Breitling saying that any malicious setting off of the beacon that results in any emergency services attending that you will pay $10,000. I've never heard of this happening though. You also get a nice owners certificate from Breitling after you've signed for your wall

the plus fact is that if you ARE in a genuine emergency that results in you needing rescue, by setting off the beacon, then Breitling will replace the Emegency with a brand new watch [as you cannot get the antennas back in once they've been pulled out]

- - - Updated - - -

I think the fine is a grey area. After all the purchaser signs with Breitling, not the emergency services.

They SHOULD do

I sold some equipment to a guy the other day who was a location manager for Warner Brothers, I noticed he was wearing a Breitling Emergency so I had to ask him about it, he said sometimes finds himself in the most remote places in the world scouting for film locations and it's just another safety tool to him. So there is someone who feels they need the feature, I'm sure there are others.

Master
    All watches should have;

A slide rule,
    WR to at least 1000m,
    Tested for use in the vacuum of space,
    An emergency beacon,
    A moon phase indication,
    GMT function.

Oh yeah, and be able to tell the time.

I myself am a big fan of the Pepsi GMT. I'm probably never going to fly a jet across the Atlantic, but it's nice to know I could........... :-)

I watched All is Lost earlier this week, possible that Mr Redford would have felt less miserable if he had an Emergency watch? Didn't realise you had to pull out both antennae...Mr Redford had trouble with a flare at one point!

I really like the Emergency, and think the transponder is a cool feature, much like any other feature that will never get used, but unique in comparison.

Was however slightly shocked when I was in Ernest Jones picking up a link for my Aerospace to learn that that the RRP is now over £12k on bracelet :O

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    I really like the Emergency, and think the transponder is a cool feature, much like any other feature that will never get used, but unique in comparison.

Was however slightly shocked when I was in Ernest Jones picking up a link for my Aerospace to learn that that the RRP is now over £12k on bracelet :O

that's why resale values of the MK1 Emergency have gone up quite a bit recently [and the main reason I have withdrawn mine from sale]

Master
    I wish they had a slightly smaller version with a less cluttered dial since the concept is great imo. Imagine surfacing after a dive to see the dive boat disappearing over the horizon....

It'd be the best watch ever at that point!

Quote Originally Posted by ArcofZen View Post
    Imagine surfacing after a dive to see the dive boat disappearing over the horizon....
    You could make a film about a story like that

Master
    For some reason I really like these even though it's a bit gimmicky and I would be sorely tempted by a yellow one which for me is the only colour to have :)

I love mine, I thought them preposterous when I first learned of the feature. The walking past a retailer with one, I was drawn to the 'remove before flight' style tag attached to it in the window.

I am signed to Breitling for their ownership terms and conditions. It's a great watch and I expect to keep it for quite some time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I bought mine because I liked it... it had nothing to do with the emergency feature. I was never likely to need to use it whilst I owned it.

Craftsman
    I'm tempted by this:

http://www.chrono24.com/en/breitling...arch/index.htm

£3229 brand new!

Not sure how the document signing would work though as it's from Italy?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    I'm tempted by this:

http://www.chrono24.com/en/breitling...arch/index.htm

£3229 brand new!

Not sure how the document signing would work though as it's from Italy?
    That's very old, new, old stock... they haven't come on that bracelet for a looooong time.

I can give you contact details for the lady who coordinates the Emergency paperwork if you need it.

Oh yes that's a point. The buttons are different too.
    Last edited by JFW; 16th January 2014 at 21:40.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    A hefty fine I believe.

Edit: much better responses above!
    About 50 grand was it not, or is that just urban myth?

Urban myth.

Journeyman
    I like the older version with the yellow dial… super-tooly!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JFW View Post
    Oh yes that's a point. The buttons are wrong too. Fake alert.

Hi JFW - the lady?

Could be a fake? I e-mailed them to see what they say about the model.

Yes, Breitling employs somebody to manage the Emergency contracts owners need to sign.

Craftsman
    I see!

- - - Updated - - -

On a slightly off-topic note, does the sales corner simply 'appear' on the forum after the set number of days?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JFW View Post
    Oh yes that's a point. The buttons are wrong too. Fake alert.
    Nah, it's not a fake. It's just at least 10 years old. As amnesia said, the Emergency hasn't come with the old pro1 bracelet for at least that long

A good thing is with the Emergency is that even the Chinese cannot do a replica of it that passes even the vaugest of resemblence to the real thing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    You could make a film about a story like that

Open Water.

Don't watch it if you dive, it'll give you nightmares!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    I bought mine because I liked it... it had nothing to do with the emergency feature. I was never likely to need to use it whilst I owned it.

Thats actually very nice!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by w2w View Post
    There are 2 seperate batteries on the watch. One that powers the watch itself and one for the emergency transponder only. They need changing about once every 6 years or so and Breitling change them both at service
    6 years is not bad, for some reason I thought I had read it was pretty damn frequent!!!

I guess the servicing bill for this model is quite ££????????

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    6 years is not bad, for some reason I thought I had read it was pretty damn frequent!!!

I guess the servicing bill for this model is quite ££????????

I think mine was about £350, but included the replacement of all the hands, full dis-assembly, case and bracelet polish, change of batteries, bench test etc. Oh, and a 12 month warranty.

Worth every penny when it comes back looking like my picture above.

The only person I know with one works in a bank :)

While I worked offshore/deserts/jungles etc I considered one as a practical survival tool but the range is quite weak for a serious situation and I just thought it'd look silly in the pub on my days off. I also don't trust quartz watches when you're working somewhere very remote and can't do a battery change :) If the timekeeping part of it was mechanical, I'd have had it in a heartbeat

But I wear a DSSD with a water resistance of 3900m to go to Sainsburys - that's further than the actual shop is from my house. It;s all absurd; who cares if someone has a transmitter in their watch? It's cool and just another complication!

Blog Entries
    I wore mine flying everyday for 6 years and on 3 tours of Afghan

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Having seen one fail to sell on SC recently I was wondering who actually buys these watches with the expectation of one day really having to use the emergency beacon? Apart from Ray Mears and Bear Grylls, who would need one?? :)
    A handful of servicemen and a few civvies have been rescued whilst wearing one - I can sasume that they had the expectation that one day, they might need its unique function. But back in the heady days of 2006, a Selfridges salesman told me that of all the Emergencies he'd sold, and he's sold stacks, every one went to wealthy young urban-dwelling alpha males, who don't expect to need rescuing from anywhere more dangerous than a gentlemen's club in Shoreditch.

The Emergency cost £2,850 at the time, as I recall, on a titanium bracelet. Seven years later, add ten thousand to that! Well, I lol'd.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Breitling Emergency - who buys these??

Not true. You have to sign the paperwork to transfer ownership.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

Mine is a beater really and has been worn in some slightly dodgy places. The transmitter is still monitored and quite a few service personnel still use them as a extra beacon. Met a chap once who wore one on his ankle on a NATO as well as a regular watch on his wrist. ( he may have been in the sun too long)

I don't think the comparison with divers watches works.

The key to their popularity is, in my humble opinion, not just the appeal of a specification tailored for applications the wearers can only aspire to.

It actually has a lot to do with the fact that divers, coincidentally, have lots of features that are useful in every day life. Lume so you know how much sleep you're missing out on when you wake up in the night. A timing bezel you can use to cook an egg, or time your journey to work. And water resistance to a nice sensible 2 or 3 hundred metres means you can be wear it in the bath.

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    Mine is a beater really and has been worn in some slightly dodgy places. The transmitter is still monitored and quite a few service personnel still use them as a extra beacon. Met a chap once who wore one on his ankle on a NATO as well as a regular watch on his wrist. ( he may have been in the sun too long)
    Joey Essex?

Well the Emergency has all of those features except the watch resistance.... Chronograph, time zones, good lume etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    Joey Essex?
    I'll google him. Don't know who he is.