closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: It's hard to believe>>>>

It's hard to believe>>>>

that they were so difficult to sell in its time due to the hideous color of the text.

[IMG]http://www.watchwallpapers.com/d3xrs2.jpg[/IMG]

Really? I hadn't read that. I assumed Rolex just switched to an all-white dial due to ease of printing?

Amazing picture!

i am usually very much in the camp of those who believe every single submariner since crown guards were fitted looks exactly the same, or atleast so similar as to not matter but that single line of red text makes that look bloomin' marvelous. i wouldnt consider it worth the premium they demand stil but nevertheless, thats a great shot of a lovely looking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepsteeth View Post
    i am usually very much in the camp of those who believe every single submariner since crown guards were fitted looks exactly the same, or atleast so similar as to not matter but that single line of red text makes that look bloomin' marvelous. i wouldnt consider it worth the premium they demand stil but nevertheless, thats a great shot of a lovely looking watch.
    Agree entirely - the red text somehow transforms the look of the dial.
    Great photo (as always)

Banned
    are you saying the red text wasnt liked at first?

it looks good

Craftsman
    I prefer the look of the red tbh.

Master
    I'm not normally a sub man myself, but that shot really explains both the appeal, and the endless discussions of the variations!

Master
    super shot of a great watch

Are we sure that's the reason they stopped making them?
    Remind me - how long did they make them for?

Lovely Jocke, that top hat does it for me

Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    that they were so difficult to sell in its time due to the hideous color of the text.

I guess that had they been popular, today you'd be posting a shot of a rare all white dial and we'd all be looking down at our red subs & wishing they were all white!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys.

The red Sub was manufactured approximately between 1968-1973 but was sold as late as 1978 indicating that it was
    still on the shelf. I guess it was quite cool in the watch business in the late 60's & early 70's. The dealers had trouble
    getting rid of Paul Newman Daytona's at the same time. Then if the Rolex changed back to white letters for this reason
    I do not know. Most collectible Rolex watches have not been popular since the days they was produced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepsteeth View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Have a bit of a thing for red details on black dials, and this is no exception.

Craftsman
    I may be biased ( Ive just taken delivery of a 70's White writing Sub) but I can help thinking that with these Red dialled Subs it a case of the emperors new Face. There are always going to be people who prefer the Red over the White and vice versa but rarity doesn't necessarily mean more valuable. I mean if it would be such a winner why doesn't Rolex make the current model a Red writing one so sales will go even higher?

Lets face it they were brave enough to do a Green dial so why not Red writing?

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    I guess that had they been popular, today you'd be posting a shot of a rare all white dial and we'd all be looking down at our red subs & wishing they were all white!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm with you on that!

Not much difference between man and beast...