closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2014

Formula 1 2014

With pre-season almost upon us I thought it was time to start the 2014 thread.

New rules/regs, complex energy recovery systems and small capacity turbo engines will all have apart to play in how this seaon pans out.

Drivers will also ge to pick their own race numbers to carry through their career (much the same as MotoGP) where the Champion can elect to use his number or the number 1.
    Here's a few dates for the diary so far:

Launches
    Jan 24 McLaren MP4-29
    Jan 28 Mercedes W05z
    Jan 28 Caterham

Pre-Season Testing

Jan 29 Jerez
    Jan 30 Jerez
    Jan 31 Jerez

Feb 19 Bahrain
    Feb 20 Bahrain
    Feb 21 Bahrain
    Feb 22 Bahrain

Feb 27 Bahrain
    Feb 28 Bahrain
    Mar 01 Bahrain
    Mar 02 Bahrain

Also thoughts still with Schumi and his family - get well soon!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    With pre-season almost upon us I thought it was time to start the 2014 thread.

New rules/regs, complex energy recovery systems and small capacity turbo engines will all have apart to play in how this seaon pans out.

Drivers will also ge to pick their own race numbers to carry through their career (much the same as MotoGP) where the Champion can elect to use his number or the number 1.
    Here's a few dates for the diary so far:

Launches
    Jan 24 McLaren MP4-29
    Jan 28 Mercedes W05z
    Jan 28 Caterham

Pre-Season Testing

Jan 29 Jerez
    Jan 30 Jerez
    Jan 31 Jerez

Feb 19 Bahrain
    Feb 20 Bahrain
    Feb 21 Bahrain
    Feb 22 Bahrain

Feb 27 Bahrain
    Feb 28 Bahrain
    Mar 01 Bahrain
    Mar 02 Bahrain

Also thoughts still with Schumi and his family - get well soon!
    Really looking forward to this year!

Jenson is my man and I see he has opted for number 22.

I have a feeling McLaren will be far more "on it" this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Really looking forward to this year!

Jenson is my man and I see he has opted for number 22.

I have a feeling McLaren will be far more "on it" this season.

I really hope this is the case, they have been going off the boil for the last 3 or 4 years now and need to step up.

I am a big fan of both Jenson and Mclaren so would be nice to see them both challenging for honours again both race wins and championships

Hoping that the new regulations also level the playing field (for the first few months at least) but I fear that Red Bull with their technical expertise, budget and leading driver will be the ones to beat again come the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by clemenry View Post
    I really hope this is the case, they have been going off the boil for the last 3 or 4 years now and need to step up.

I am a big fan of both Jenson and Mclaren so would be nice to see them both challenging for honours again both race wins and championships

Hoping that the new regulations also level the playing field (for the first few months at least) but I fear that Red Bull with their technical expertise, budget and leading driver will be the ones to beat again come the end of the season.
    I can't see the field closing up, that (on average) is what rule stability would do. The way I see it is that the new regulations could open up the field, this is the greatest shake-up since the previous generation V8s were introduced and this could allow a power unit supplier or chassis designer to steal a march on another - I hope it's close, but I can't see it.

My main concern is about just how fast these new machines will be. An increase in weight and decrease in aero grip is going to see the GP2 cars not too far behind on lap times, though I'm massively intrigued as to how the teams will progress through the year with this.

Why do I get the feeling that we could be looking at 2009 all over again?

This, if you remember, was the year when the FIA, in a bid to encourage overtaking, introduced bigger front wings and smaller rear ones. The theory was that one car would be able to follow another without losing front aero grip. The cars would be radically different, and the accepted order would be shaken up.

Brawn, born from the wreckage of Honda's abrupt and very late withdrawal, with engines from Mercedes by virtue of a deal brokered by McLaren's Martin Whitmarsh, turned up at the second pre-season test, having missed the first, and went a second quicker than anybody else, thanks to a creative interpretation of the rules governing the rear diffuser. By the time everybody else had been to court over it and lost, the opposition had spent too much time trying to catch up, and the title was in the bag, even if it wasn't sealed until the final round.

It's always the same when major rule changes happen. Somebody (or some teams' legal department) reads between the lines better than everybody else, and produces a winning car that's deemed legal. After some tantrums and toy-throwing, obviously.

And, given the extent of the rule changes, it could be anyone. Obviously, the smart money is still on Adrian Newey, the acknowledged master of FIA rule interpretation, although several of his right-hand men have left Red Bull for the promise of untold riches elsewhere. And Sir Ben Ainslie wants to recruit Newey to design the weapon for his planned assault on the next America's Cup, so the rest of the F1 paddock is hoping that Adrian becomes disenchanted with motor racing and goes off to fulfil one of his stated ambitions.

I don't think that pre-season testing will reveal too much, as most teams will try to hide their true performance - we won't find out who's actually quick until the Saturday at Melbourne.

Meanwhile, if rumours are to be believed, the 2014 contenders won't win any awards for their aesthetic appeal.

Anyway. I'm still looking forward to the 28th of January!
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Is any of the pre-testing on sky?

Rich-kid Max Chilton to have another season showing off his hair and lack of talent by pootling around at the back of the pack: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25696052

Journeyman
    I can take or leave the new rules and regulation changes. They are an inevitable part of the evolution of F1.
    I'm more interested in some of the driver pairings...
    Can't wait to see how Alonso and Raikonnen get on, could Ferrari finally get their act back together and Alonso become a deserved triple World Champion?
    Is the Hamilton/Rosberg love-in going to continue or will someone get all DivaBitchy with the other?
    Ferrari and Mercedes have by far the best driver line ups.....please, please, PLEASE let their cars be good so that someone can knock the smirk off that arrogant little, one-fingered, team-order defying, spoilt brat, Newey empowered, least deserving quadruple champion (deep breath), Vettel.

Last edited by bulletmagnet; 11th January 2014 at 18:14.

^^^ Wot he said.

<< I really hope we are capable of giving Fernando & Kimi a decent car now that the wind-tunnel, Allison's arrival, the yet to be announced ice cream sponsorship deal, phase of the moon, etc all fall into place.

ETA Get well soon Michael to a complete recovery so you can send "The Finger" a text saying tough luck, you never broke my record.
    Last edited by tifosotony; 11th January 2014 at 23:11. Reason: adding good wishes

The first pre-season test starts a fortnight today, and most of the teams will unveil there cars in the pit lane. The days of lavish, choreographed launches in Formula 1 appear to have passed. McLaren will unveil their car online on the previous Friday, the 24th. Lotus will miss the first test.

The regulation changes are, of course, significant, and there's an article on F1 Technical which predicts the shape of the cars for the forthcoming campaign:

http://www.f1technical.net/features/19020

Not long now.

All we need is for Paul to set up the Fantasy Grand Prix league..........
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I'll set up the league ... I'm out of the country at the moment on some business or other. Will sort it out at the weekend. It's going to be a very interesting season.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If the weather is nice I may decide to enjoy the ride there and see the new cars at Jerez.

The entry fees are very reasonable for a change; http://www.circuitodejerez.com/index.php?id=381

The VIP stands are NOT the best seats in the house btw. so you can save that extra tenner and see more.

Master
    There's at least a reasonable chance with all the reg changes and new technology that teams will vary in the quality of their implementation in various areas, and especially in reliability. Unfortunately RBR must be the favourites still, even if they don't whitewash from the beginning.

I reckon there will be a lot of entertainment this season, with things to enjoy right down the field. The Jenson-Magnusson battle for one: KM will have to be given half a season to learn the ropes, but after that it could get very interesting indeed.

I do hope Lotus can afford to deliver a decent car for Romain.

Master
    I really want to see mclaren back on top but I can't see it happening, most excited to see how Ferrari get on, bored of yet another German winning everything

In further pre-season news, Gerard Lopez (owner of Genii Capital and, by extension, majority owner of Lotus) has confirmed the extent of the team's debts http://www.pitpass.com/50731/Lopez-a...14m-Lotus-debt although the extent of the impact of the exodus of key players remains to be seen.

Ferrari unveil their new car on 25 January. Kimi Raikkonen, having recovered from his back surgery, has been at Maranello familiarising himself with procedures and working in the simulator. Alonso and Raikkonen will both drive at the first test in Jerez - Alonso elected to miss the Jerez test last year, with driving duties shared by Pedro de la Rosa and Felipe Massa, but with the extent of the changes for the 2014 season placing a premium on reliability it would appear that seat time is at a premium.

Although Lotus, and if rumours are to be believed possibly one or two other teams, may not be present at Jerez.

The permanent driver numbers have been announced:

2014 F1 entry list so far in numerical order:

# Driver Team/Car
    1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
    3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault
    6 Nico Rosberg Mercedes
    7 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
    8 Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault
    11 Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes
    13 Pastor Maldonado Lotus-Renault
    14 Fernando Alonso Ferrari
    17 Jules Bianchi Marussia-Ferrari
    19 Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes
    20 Kevin Magnussen McLaren-Mercedes
    21 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari
    22 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
    25 Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Renault
    26 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso-Renault
    27 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes
    44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
    77 Valtteri Bottas Williams-Mercedes
    99 Adrian Sutil Sauber-Ferrari

In other news, Sebastian Vettel became a father on Sunday.

As I understand it, Vettel is carrying the number one by virtue of being world champion. His actual chosen number however is five.

Apparently Kimi chose seven because "it's the number I already had last year and I saw no reason to change it".

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    As I understand it, Vettel is carrying the number one by virtue of being world champion. His actual chosen number however is five.

Apparently Kimi chose seven because "it's the number I already had last year and I saw no reason to change it".
    Kimi is the only reason to watch F1, from his superb driving to taking a dump to getting lost in Interlagos. The rest are just robots, now Webber has gone (Le Mans - can't wait).
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Alonso elected to miss the Jerez test last year, with driving duties shared by Pedro de la Rosa and Felipe Massa, but with the extent of the changes for the 2014 season placing a premium on reliability it would appear that seat time is at a premium.
    I think the real premium's on him needing all the help he can get to beat Raikkonen!

Bernie is to stand trial on a charge of bribery, and has stepped down from his position at CVC, effectively releasing his control of FOM.

Allegedly.

I'm not convinced that his will won't continue to influence Formula 1. The trial is scheduled for April.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    The permanent driver numbers have been announced:

2014 F1 entry list so far in numerical order:

# Driver Team/Car
    1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
    3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault
    6 Nico Rosberg Mercedes
    7 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
    8 Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault
    11 Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes
    13 Pastor Maldonado Lotus-Renault
    14 Fernando Alonso Ferrari
    17 Jules Bianchi Marussia-Ferrari
    19 Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes
    20 Kevin Magnussen McLaren-Mercedes
    21 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari
    22 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
    25 Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Renault
    26 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso-Renault
    27 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes
    44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
    77 Valtteri Bottas Williams-Mercedes
    99 Adrian Sutil Sauber-Ferrari

In other news, Sebastian Vettel became a father on Sunday.
    Do the numbers only go up to 99? Although they would last for many years, eventually 3 digits will be required. You would think 100, 500, 999 may be popular?

When does Chilton get his number?

Bernie is to stand trial on a charge of bribery, and has stepped down from his position at CVC, effectively releasing his control of FOM.

Allegedly.

I'm not convinced that his will won't continue to influence Formula 1. The trial is scheduled for April.
    According to Joe Saward, "Bernie Ecclestone has ceased to be a director of the Formula One group, although he will remain as the chief executive officer". I'm sure he will continue to have some involvement behind the scenes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Do the numbers only go up to 99? Although they would last for many years, eventually 3 digits will be required. You would think 100, 500, 999 may be popular?

They aren't that permanent! As drivers leave the grid others will be able to take their numbers, no need to be going to 3 digits.

Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    They aren't that permanent! As drivers leave the grid others will be able to take their numbers, no need to be going to 3 digits.
    Thanks for that.
    I think it is a shame as Vettel's real number is 5, which will clash in history with "Red 5" of Mansell.
    Just a thought

Craftsman
    Vettel won't be changing from #1 for some time yet ;)

Vettel won't be changing from #1 for some time yet ;)
    Now there is a vote of confidence
    Really looking forward to seeing the new cars and testing.

Craftsman
    Whitmarsh is out and Ron Dennis back in at McLaren

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I really want to see mclaren back on top but I can't see it happening...
    Well, this is really good news IMHO: http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/01/16/13806/

Probably not going to see the value until 2015, I agree, however.

Martin Whitmarsh is a lovely guy and a really excellent technical manager, but you still need the ba$tards running top teams if you're going to get consistently top performance. Butts need kicking, and the engineering departments need to keep looking over their shoulders rather than getting complacent. Ferrari need to do something similar.

Martin and Stefano would be my top picks for staying front-of-house because they're so media and sponsor-friendly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/25766407

Taking the heat off Bernie?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post

Max Chilton's number is 4, so he can use the branding M4x. That's the reason Valtteri Bottas gave for chosing 77, his branding will be Val77eri Bo77as.

Journeyman
    The McLaren news is very interesting. I love a conspiracy.
    The way I see it is, the board have seen the car, worked out the lap times via the simulator, the new hirings have come into the business at the turn of the year. The data has been analysed and the conclusion has been reached that the team are on for another terrible season.
    Rather than the usual McLaren way of improving during the season, with a lift in Europe and a tail off when the fly-always begin in September they have decided to act now in order to win in 2015.
    Hamilton will be in year 2 of a 3 year deal with very little of the Mercedes team he signed for in mid-2012 left at Mercedes, so a return to McLaren in 2015 with Brawn as pit lane leader, Dennis running the day to day team.
    In 2014 they just will not have the best engines or KERS as it is the last year before Honda. The decision is a 2015 one. 2014 has been written off.
    As I said, I love a conspiracy and F1 is the sport for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Max Chilton's number is 4, so he can use the branding M4x. That's the reason Valtteri Bottas gave for chosing 77, his branding will be Val77eri Bo77as.
    Apparently "Williams's Valtteri Bottas beat Marussia's Jules Bianchi to 77 on account of his higher championship finish last season."

Bianchi then chose 17 instead.

Not confirmed.......yet.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Not confirmed.......yet.
    If it is in the press it has happened. McLaren don't mess around press wise.

Plus Vodafone are gone. To get another company to throw in Ģ30m a year there needs to be a change

Blog Entries
    Not confirmed.......yet.
    Seems to be....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/25766407

Quote Originally Posted by Subday View Post
    If it is in the press it has happened. McLaren don't mess around press wise.

Plus Vodafone are gone. To get another company to throw in Ģ30m a year there needs to be a change
    The speculation also said that Dennis doesn't want to be on the pit wall, and Ross Brawn is a possible replacement for Whitmarsh.

It's always seemed to me that Whitmarsh is Button's biggest fan, so I take this as further evidence that 2014 is Button's last year at McLaren.

Mclaren could do with getting rid of Sam Micheal, it seems to be strategy issues that have plauged them - well, that and a rubbish car....

Rumour has it that Maldonado opted for the number 69 as it'll read the same which ever way up the car ends....

Also looks like the American's are planning another attempt at a team in 2015/16 - LINKY.
    Last edited by Chris W; 17th January 2014 at 10:10.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post

Not so.

As yet it is not confirmed that Ron Dennis will be Team Principal at all - the main role Martin held - and it's unlikely he would take that role full time in the season as well. But as the CEO he would take an active hand in the F1 program for 2014 - and onwards - something he has not since "Spygate"

It is not clear yet if this means that Martin Whitmarsh will leave Mc.Laren or move to another role - yet being the key word.

And don't agree at all with the poster who said MW is/was Jenson Buttons no.1 fan or the reason he is retained....I personally know a number Mc. Laren people and they all hold JB in the highest regard and that is why he has a long term contract with the team....and he will be key for 2015 at Honda come back on board. Give JB a decent car (or at least one that has potential) and he will drive the door mirrors off it and help the team develop as a whole.

Still see Jenson maybe ending up for a couple of years at Ferrari if Alonso leaves and that opens the door for Vettel......
    Last edited by Gareth-W; 17th January 2014 at 11:32.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Also looks like the American's are planning another attempt at a team in 2015/16 - LINKY.
    Unless regulations are changed to allow bombing the plants of the other teams as legitimate defense, I cannot take that as a serious contender.

Master
    Not so.

As yet it is not confirmed that Ron Dennis will be Team Principal at all - the main role Martin held - and it's unlikely he would take that role full time in the season as well. But as the CEO he would take an active hand in the F1 program for 2014 - and onwards - something he has not since "Spygate"

It is not clear yet if this means that Martin Whitmarsh will leave Mc.Laren or move to another role - yet being the key word.

And don't agree at all with the poster who said MW is/was Jenson Buttons no.1 fan or the reason he is retained....I personally know a number Mc. Laren people and they all hold JB in the highest regard and that is why he has a long term contract with the team....and he will be key for 2015 at Honda come back on board. Give JB a decent car (or at least one that has potential) and he will drive the door mirrors off it and help the team develop as a whole.

Still see Jenson maybe ending up for a couple of years at Ferrari if Alonso leaves and that opens the door for Vettel......
    And I would imagine JB's links with Japan will sit well with Honda too (and he was very loyal to them during the works team years, another trait that sits well with the Japanese).

Craftsman
    Not so.

I could have been talking about group CEO not team principal ;)

You would be a brave man to bet on Whitmarsh being team principal come the start of the season and I have no doubt he'll be gone next week.

Master

I'm not sure about the Ferrari bit, but I see some years yet for him with McLaren. He's a sponsor's dream, especially in Japan with his local girlfriend, and he's an extremely consistent, intelligent and smooth driver. He's also at the stage where he's mature enough to help hold the team together during a period of change and frustration.

OK he's not in the Vettel/Lewis/Alonso/Kimi class for ultimate speed, but he's certainly only in the next drawer down and he's more consistent than Lewis or Kimi. If Magnusson does well this year and the 2015 Honda collaboration goes well they could be a formidable combination.

If Magnusson does extremely well, of course, he may have a much more stressful 2015/6, but that's exactly what he'd get at Ferrari with Seb.

I could have been talking about group CEO not team principal ;)

You would be a brave man to bet on Whitmarsh being team principal come the start of the season and I have no doubt he'll be gone next week.

Good dodge!!!

I very much doubt as well that Martin will be Team Principal for 2014....maybe at first until (maybe) Ross Brawn ends his 6 month sabbactical. Anyway I'm seeing Martin this weekend (he's a neighbour) so will ask.....................................

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    And I would imagine JB's links with Japan will sit well with Honda too (and he was very loyal to them during the works team years, another trait that sits well with the Japanese).
    Yes and yes, but that is for 2015.

However much this year seems to be going to be a īlostī interim year, it still is the 2014 Championship series.

Meanwhile the weather forecast for Jerez is pretty bad. An intermittendly wet to drying track is not going to allow car shake downs. Letīs hope it blows over into mainly sunny.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    I'm not sure about the Ferrari bit, but I see some years yet for him with McLaren. He's a sponsor's dream, especially in Japan with his local girlfriend, and he's an extremely consistent, intelligent and smooth driver. He's also at the stage where he's mature enough to help hold the team together during a period of change and frustration.

OK he's not in the Vettel/Lewis/Alonso/Kimi class for ultimate speed, but he's certainly only in the next drawer down and he's more consistent than Lewis or Kimi. If Magnusson does well this year and the 2015 Honda collaboration goes well they could be a formidable combination.

If Magnusson does extremely well, of course, he may have a much more stressful 2015/6, but that's exactly what he'd get at Ferrari with Seb.
    More consistent than Kimi?! He's a strange one to call inconsistent with his record of consecutive points scoring finishes. He finished top 10 in 29 of his first 30 races back in F1!

Master
    More consistent than Kimi?! He's a strange one to call inconsistent with his record of consecutive points scoring finishes. He finished top 10 in 29 of his first 30 races back in F1!
    I meant now! His level of interest fluctuates widely.

Not that I blame him in any way - Im a major fan, and he's had some sh1tboxes to drive recently.
    I well remember spending the whole of the last 20 laps of what felt like every race in 2005 muttering the mantra "Go on Kimi, go on Kimi, go on Kimi..." in the hope it'd stop the FO 110R in the back of that MP4-20 having another kerblammo

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Yes and yes, but that is for 2015.

However much this year seems to be going to be a īlostī interim year, it still is the 2014 Championship series.

Meanwhile the weather forecast for Jerez is pretty bad. An intermittendly wet to drying track is not going to allow car shake downs. Letīs hope it blows over into mainly sunny.
    Agreed - 2014 is still a Championship year, which means that there will be Constructors' Championship points to be won, which will translate into money for 2015, so I can't see McLaren twiddling their thumbs and cruising for a year pending the arrival of Honda power. I'm sure that Ron will be keen to "leverage" and "optimise" the team's finances.

One thing that has been laid to rest if Ron has put himself back at the wheel (so to speak) of the Grand Prix team is any prospect of Fernando Alonso returning to McLaren.

I think that Pirelli will be delighted if Jerez is wet or changeable for a couple of days, as they rarely have the chance to do any wet running pre-season, and the tyres will be quite different this year, as they'll need to cope with a very different power delivery profile.

Jerez is very abrasive, and Pirelli wouldn't necessarily learn much from the first Test anyway, as the track surface is apparently quite different to most other Grand Prix venues.

In other tyre-related news, there was a snippet on the Motor Sport site which stated that in between everything else that's been happening to him over the last few weeks, Bernie has finalised a new three-year deal with Pirelli.

And on the subject of Jenson Button - he proved that he can win races, and that he can win enough races during a season to become World Champion, but in my opinion he's not up there with Vettel, Alonso and Raikkonen or even Hamilton, for the simple reason that unless the car and conditions are exactly to his liking, his head drops and he becomes a merely average Grand Prix driver. Vettel, Alonso and Raikkonen will drive around a car problem, and Hamilton will drive through it, but Button will let it get to him. He's very, very good, but he needs all of the stars to align before he can prove just how good he is.

Master
    We've seen Hamilton plodding round in the back half underperforming when things aren't going his way.

The only driver who seems to be really on it, stretching himself and his car, every single race seems to be Alonso (we don't know with Vettel because he so frequently has a dominant car).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    We've seen Hamilton plodding round in the back half underperforming when things aren't going his way.

The only driver who seems to be really on it, stretching himself and his car, every single race seems to be Alonso (we don't know with Vettel because he so frequently has a dominant car).
    You may be referring to last year's Spanish Grand Prix, when Hamilton was complaining that he had "even been overtaken by a Williams!" but at that point in the season the Mercedes was eating its' rear tyres within a few laps, which was also the reason for the car being quick in qualifying as the rear tyres heated up so quickly.

You might also recall that after that particular race Mercedes stayed behind after school to do some homework for Pirelli, after which the car appeared with some revised rear suspension mountings and didn't put as much load through the rear tyres.

I'm not a particular fan of Lewis Hamilton, but he is a racer, and if anything has a tendency to over-drive the car to compensate for a problem.

As far as Vettel is concerned, he put a Torro Rosso on pole at a wet Monza in 2008 and won the race, and in the early part of 2009, before Adrian Newey had figured out a way of constructing a double diffuser around pull-rod rear suspension, he was nearly always among the best of the rest behind the Brawns.

Cynics may believe that Vettel had a superior car to Mark Webber, but while the Red Bulls may not have been entirely equal in the last couple of seasons, there were very few occasions when Webber beat Vettel during their five years as team-mates.

Banned
    Blog Entries

As far as Vettel is concerned, he put a Torro Rosso on pole at a wet Monza in 2008 and won the race, and in the early part of 2009, before Adrian Newey had figured out a way of constructing a double diffuser around pull-rod rear suspension, he was nearly always among the best of the rest behind the Brawns.
    I don't get the Vettel critics either. The RedBulls have been up there as Webber showed but VETTEL drove it about seconds faster than the rest. It made no difference the conditions nor the track and that sure was not the case with the car as Webber showed.
    The guy is GOOD and fast on his way to become the best scoring F1 driver ever. My money for 2014 is not so much on RedBull as on him again.