closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Admiralty Grey NATOs - Recommendations?

Admiralty Grey NATOs - Recommendations?

Has anyone bought a good one recently from anywhere/one other than mickie500? His seem to receive mixed reviews, so I was hoping that someone has discovered one as good as Eddie's.

Thanks

Silvermans sell Phoenix NATOs and they're not seconds like mickie500's. I've never had a problem with them.

Thanks. His ebay page has no mention of them being seconds?

I've looked at a few more of his listings and I see he also sells firsts. I got the seconds info from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-New-Phoe...item1c3ad7f7c4

My apologies!

Banned
    he has both seconds and new ones, he has been reliable with me.
    they are not as good as Eddies Natos,I would only use it on a old beat up mil watch.

If Eddie made an Admiralty grey one I'd go for that in a flash. Have ordered one of mickie500's non-seconds so I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Have a good evening everyone

I bought a Phoenix from http://www.monkeyswag.co.uk/

I wouldn't say Eddie's are much better, the Phoenix is very fine, where Eddie's are a bit thicker.

Think they're both very good quality to be honest, and much better than others I've tried before.

I got one from monkey swag on ebay - decent quality and correct colour.
    I think the metal work on Eddies is better.

Take a look at the ones from Tungchoy/Strapcode. They are the correct Admiralty grey colour and I find them much softer and more comfortable than the Phoenix ones. They are my second favourite after Eddie's.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    I got one from monkey swag on ebay - decent quality and correct colour.
    I think the metal work on Eddies is better.
    I would agree with this - I have 6 ones bought from Monkey Swag and they are very good for the money - Eddies are superior though

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggy View Post
    Take a look at the ones from Tungchoy/Strapcode. They are the correct Admiralty grey colour and I find them much softer and more comfortable than the Phoenix ones. They are my second favourite after Eddie's.
    Thanks for the heads up, the Strapcode grey looks great, they even do a couple of different shades of grey, and with a choice of hardware too. Perfect.

Strapcode certainly seem to have expanded their range since I last looked at their stuff, they even do NATO's in odd sizes which I've never seen done elsewhere before, they will be getting an order from me very soon.
    Last edited by Meinessex; 11th January 2014 at 11:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, the Strapcode grey looks great, they even do a couple of different shades of grey, and with a choice of hardware too. Perfect.

Strapcode certainly seem to have expanded their range since I last looked at their stuff, they even do NATO's in odd sizes which I've never seen done elsewhere before, they will be getting an order from me very soon.
    I like the look of these - especially the 'MilTAT' ones

I just bought a couple Phoenix NATOs from GasGasBones in Admiralty Grey and also the Olive Green. Quality is really nice - they are thinner than most NATOs but the weave is very dense and they are a bit stiff, plus a decent length - not too short like some for folding the extra back under both retainers, all of which I like. The Admiralty grey really is significantly different from other greys I've seen, darker and it has a very slight greenish-blue hue to it and looks very tasteful. From what I remember of the strap that came with my Seiko RAF, now long gone, it seems much the same.

Admiralty Grey 20mm:

Olive Green 22mm

Last edited by occamsrazor; 11th January 2014 at 12:16.

I like the olive green one

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I like the olive green one
    Yeah wasn't expecting to like that one much but now I really do. It's a bit lighter and more colourful than the above pic, will try to post some more shortly...

Another pic of the Olive Green, this one is fairly close to the actual strap colour:

Another pic of the Admiralty Grey, the strap is actually a bit darker than appears in this pic. The colour in the first pic I posted is truer to how it actually is:

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    I bought a Phoenix from http://www.monkeyswag.co.uk/

I wouldn't say Eddie's are much better, the Phoenix is very fine, where Eddie's are a bit thicker.

Think they're both very good quality to be honest, and much better than others I've tried before.
    Thanks for that , I've just bought a Camel for my Camel ......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Phoenix from MS (sorry for the poor pic)

Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex View Post

I have one of their Military Grey ones with polished hardware. It looks the dog's doodahs when matched up with the polished sides on my Smiths Everest. Surprisingly they are heat welded, but without some of the melted flash that you get sometimes on the Phoenix straps.

Having said that, I am wearing an olive green Phoenix with my CWC diver today and it does look very nice too.

I've never had a problem with Phoenis in general or mickie500 in particular.

In fact, I rate their Admiralty Grey as my joint favourite along with Eddie's Coyote Brown.

:-)

I like the TimeFactors NATOs because the straps have more holes, which allows for a better, snugger fit.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    I like the TimeFactors NATOs because the straps have more holes, which allows for a better, snugger fit.

Yes, that's a good point. On my 22mm from GGB I find the best size for me is pretty much halfway between two of the holes so it's either a little tight or a little loose. On the 20mm it's OK. But agree slightly closer hole spacing would be better.

Here's a comparison:

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Here's a comparison:

The Phoenix one is much more practical. It shapes itself to your wrist by maintaining a basic level of stiffness though out its life and it doesn't expand when it gets wet.

I've never understood the attraction of a soft NATO.