closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What watches do...

What watches do...

Special forces operatives actually use? Do they use the CWC stuff? Or do they use other watches? Not just SAS and SBS, Uncle Sam's SF and others.

Grand Master
    G-Shock, Suunto, Timex. 8)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

:D You have any insider info? 8)

Which models of each do they use?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura

It's a standard question on the watch fora ... I memorized the answer. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Didn't see it in a search.

Do you know which models of each?

All the Special Ops guys I came into contact with during my service wore their own watches. Because these watches were the personal choice of the individual, there was no standardisation. Of course that was then and this is now, most pictures you see today show G-Shocks or similar.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

i agree with Eddie. with regards to the UK Special Ops Guys

i usually find its g-shocks or suunto's,

no particular type or version, as the majority are bought by themselves, and its what takes their fancy.

i cant ever recall seeing any of them wearing a mechanical type watch :!:

Master
    It really depends which period-that is not precise in the question.
    Rolex are known to have been worn, and if one takes other SF termed and actual ops, there are many examples as they were more often than not personal watches. This goes for today, too as written already.

There are many to choose from, and many SF termed units, including intelligence organisations who are SF now.

A good sturdy watch with good accurracy, quartz and mechanical, fits the role well.

From an historical as well as contamporary perspective:
    Rolex oyster
    the standard issue military wristwatches
    Omega seadweller
    Some chronos, incl. Lemania
    Roamer (Southern African SF and in that region)
    G-shocks
    Sunnto
    Seiko (quartz, mechanical diver, and good chrono, e.g. RAF issue)

I think that a Precista or broadarrow would be a good choice, and this would not be lost on SF personnel :wink: :)

Best wishes,
    AP :)

Cheers. Are you in the UK? I want a tough watch but not too expensive. I have a few watches, but too scared to use them for fear of breaking etc. My beater is an Orient automatic at the moment.

Master
    From the repts on case-quality, reliable mvmt and attention as well as follow-up, I think it would be hard to beat for value one of Eddies watches. My 2p. He does post from the UK. If you go to the 'Return to Website' at the top of the forum, you can peruse the watches (Precista, Broadarrow etc., from there).

The choice of mech. or quartz is yours, of course. They look the part, ahve the quality, and the functionality and are designed as integral to the design concept for good use, such as SF or other military use, too.

Best wishes,
    AP

P.S. There will be plenty of good suggestions of the main forum for a tool watch if you post question there for a suggestion with some parameters, e.g. broad price range.

:lol: I was asking where you are from? And where you post from?

Master
    Ah, it depends, though as of now, I'm in the UK.
    The Tardis can be a little unpredicatable though as to where I am or go :wink:
    Best wishes,
    AP

Master
    Cheers. Are you in the UK? I want a tough watch but not too expensive. I have a few watches, but too scared to use them for fear of breaking etc. My beater is an Orient automatic at the moment.
    How come you're getting rid of the TSAR Hari? Seems like it might tick most/all of your boxes?

Cheers,

Guy :)

Grand Master
    :lol: I was asking where you are from? And where you post from?
    A funny question from someone who does not disclose his own location in the profile. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by pinkwindmill
    How come you're getting rid of the TSAR Hari? Seems like it might tick most/all of your boxes?

Cheers,

Guy :)
    Yeah I know Guy. Problem is I don't feel it suits me. I have a PRS-14 aswell but I like it too much to knock it around. I may stick with the Marathon as you suggest Guy.

:lol: Crusader, I don't disclose my location because... :wink: :wink:

Master
    Because, Ace Ventura [pet detective?] :wink: :lol:
    Am in the UK in so far as TZ UK is, though the Tardis makes a difference :wink:

Best wishes,

Guy :)[/quote]

:lol: Crusader, I don't disclose my location because... :wink: :wink:[/quote]

maybe he is lost!! :D in that case buy a Suunto :D

:lol: Nah I'm a Special Ops soldier without a clue. :shock: :D

:lol: Nah I'm a Special Ops soldier without a clue. :shock: :D
    yipee another guy with all the gear and no idea :D

nice to meet you :D

Please to meet you Dave. You SAS, SBS or MI6? I'm..... :D

SAS have been for 11 or so years :D

boy have i got some stories :lol:

:lol: I was with SBS for a while. We were doing operations in Eastern Timor. We had done recon, and were evading some trackers. Well anyway we were hiding in an estuary and were about to get away with it until some of the trackers noticed bubbles coming out of the water. Well lets say I decided to let rip. Anyway all hell broke loose, the fish life aswell as other members of my team floated to the surface unconcious and I had to take the trackers on, on my own... I've said too much. Have to go back into the shadows...

P.S. I am juevenile.

Why,

I remember when I was out in some sandy country a while back, I was in a covert observation post at night, watching a local high profile target. Unfortunately for me the glow of my Tritium Luminox Navy Seals watch gave me away. I had to call in fire support from a passing AC130 Spectre that was luckily in patrol orbit in my area. I manage to escape and evade all the way back to the local bus stop and hitched a ride back to the camp for hot chow and a warm bath.

Got myself 3 chocolate medals and a watch cover for that mission!

:shock:

I was doing a deeps sea dive in a previous life and the Oxygen was running low. In fact it ran out. I had to literally take off my gear and unscrew my Omega 300 and breath the pocket of air that was in the case. :shock:

I got the bends but managed to survive 8)

i tried that with my Sinn EZM2 :D

all i got was a mouth full of oil

:lol: I have a EZM3 coming soon. I will remember that.

Re: What watches do...

Special forces operatives actually use? Do they use the CWC stuff? Or do they use other watches? Not just SAS and SBS, Uncle Sam's SF and others.
    Quite a few of the boaties have G Shock Mudman bought from an American PX.

I myself wear a 5.11 HRT Watch now or sometimes a G Shock.

Normally it seems to be a case of finding out what the biggest watch you can get is then going with that. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader

It's a standard question on the watch fora ... I memorized the answer. :)
    :laughing6:

:|

5-11 HRT...?
    What a coincidence...
    Thats my wifes height and current medication..!!! :lol:

If it's any help my mates a boatie and he wears a G-shock... :wink:

Sorry mate, but Crusader hit the nail. If I had a nickel for every SEAL/SF/SAS/SBS/GSG9/GIGN watch thread on all the forums (and I only really frequent about 4), I could retire tomorrow and start my own watch brand: Walter Mitty Specials.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall
    5-11 HRT...?
    What a coincidence...
    Thats my wifes height and current medication..!!! :lol:

If it's any help my mates a boatie and he wears a G-shock... :wink:
    Now that's :toothy10: :laughing3:

Quote Originally Posted by davie0146
    SAS have been for 11 or so years :D

boy have i got some stories :lol:
    Hey, I was a Boy Scout quite a while back... does that count??
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

(To be honest, I´m pretty impressed - read quite a few books about the history of the SAS recently...)
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master
    It is interesting from an historical perspective, and to understand reasons why [such watches are sued, or chosen, as with any other grouping]

It is what you do about or with it, which is the Walter Mitty Matter :lol: :wink:

I think those watches with the Special Ops on the dials are rather amusing, and remind me of teenagers rigged in cammo playing soldiers. I suppose it's better than them on the streets in gangs. Of course, as long as the 're-enactment' is not taken too seriously!

Best wishes,
    AP

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    Sorry mate, but Crusader hit the nail. If I had a nickel for every SEAL/SF/SAS/SBS/GSG9/GIGN watch thread on all the forums (and I only really frequent about 4), I could retire tomorrow and start my own watch brand: Walter Mitty Specials.
    I'd take a penny :wink: . Indubitably there's more SEAL/SF/SAS/SBS/GSG9/GIGN watches on civvy wrists than any branch of any Service. Unfortunately, the same is true of Uzis and hand-cannons and that would include my bedside Dan Wesson :wink: .

I think I'm going to have to flip the Titan Commander . . . .

cheers,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    I'd take a penny :wink: . Indubitably there's more SEAL/SF/SAS/SBS/GSG9/GIGN watches on civvy wrists than any branch of any Service. Unfortunately, the same is true of Uzis and hand-cannons and that would include my bedside Dan Wesson :wink: .

cheers,
    Of course there are Ted, as these watches last longer than those in these units are there for. Watches last usually quite a long time, and the owner in service, amy have more than one which survives. I take your point re. replicas or ones with doubtful claims.

The kitch names are not to(o) becoming.

Titian Commander- perhaps Medusa may like that one :wink: :shock: :x :wink:

It's a fair question , to which there will never be an utterly complete answer, but ideas, reports and some imaginations (like on the dials of the WMitty ones)

I like the Titan Commander (in no small part because it doesn't say "Titan Commander" on the dial), it's a good field watch. And while I am a commander, I'm only 188cm and made of flesh and bone. I suppose that makes me a poser :wink:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailfrid Pottinger
    Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA

cheers,
    Of course there are Ted, as these watches last longer than those in these units are there for. Watches last usually quite a long time, and the owner in service, amy have more than one which survives. I take your point re. replicas or ones with doubtful claims.

The kitch names are not to(o) becoming.

Titian Commander- perhaps Medusa may like that one :wink: :shock: :x :wink:

It's a fair question , to which there will never be an utterly complete answer, but ideas, reports and some imaginations (like on the dials of the WMitty ones)

Point taken, Tardis-dude, but I think we were both talking about wannabe watches on civvy wrists. For example, the Titan Commander but not a SandY 650.

cheers,

Master
    Tardis-dude :wink: :lol:
    Yes, sooner or later the watches will be on a civvy wrist.
    [Either (SF owner)retired or to a new owner]
    It's the wannabe factor, and the nature of that (which varies), that is the matter.

SF watches are SF in so far as they are linked with SF. This may be an instance of one watch or of a popular group, or Official Issue.

As long as one does not believe that it has absolute transfiguarational properties (like popye or so).

It will always be an area of interest to watch WIS or others as with the mystique of it all is for some.

Best wishes,