closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hiut Denim jeans... don't wash for 6 months ?!

Grand Master
    Its a bizarre thing but you should try it, I find it a pleasure and pain but seems so worth it in terms of warmth, almost like you've 'earned it' rather than buying treated crap jeans which once you buy them stay pretty much the same the remainder of their life whereas Raw has stages and ages beautifully and is a pleasure to live with
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Couldn't resist when in SOAS on friday and grabbed some lovely Samurai S003JP's which I Soaked last night and are hanging ready to be broke
    Why the soaking?

On a related topic, I was amazed that Hiut offer a "broken in" service, where you pay £250 for jeans which someone else has worn for 6 months! Surely you can pick up worn jeans in Oxfam for 97% less...

Seriously? They are jeans, they were created as cheap, hard wearing workwear.
    Not washing them is frankly unhygienic and if they get a hole in the crotch throw them away!

Edit: I do wonder at the end of 6 months how much dried urine and faecal spores there would be sticking to your dirty trousers.
    Last edited by ODP; 6th March 2016 at 13:44.

You guys kill me lol. So funny reading this thread. Whatever floats your boat I guess but I think you guys are being taken for a ride with this expensive denim and to not wash them for months on top. I'll stick to my Levi sales thanks. :)

Cool, whatever works for you.

:)
    Last edited by Belligero; 6th March 2016 at 12:21.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hicksmat View Post
    You guys kill me lol. So funny reading this thread. Whatever floats your boat I guess but I think you guys are being taken for a ride with this expensive denim and to not wash them for months on top. I'll stick to my Levi sales thanks. :)
    Need to repeat that until you have tried it and get it you can't comment
    RIAC

Really getting into the Selvedge denim. I went to SOAS on Friday, I was going to get a pair of Full Counts but came away with a pair of Jelado, very happy with them.

Cheers

Journeyman
    Hi I have a question for Hiut owners. I have mostly worn Levis for my whole life, but in the last couple of years there is something that has bugged me massively with them. It seems they now make the pockets about 2 inches shallower than they used to. I guess it is to save money manufacturing them. If you add up the amount of cloth saved when making millions of jeans i suppose the saving is substantial.

However I like to carry my phone, wallet, keys, and change in my front pockets so the shallower pockets make them uncomfortable compared to what they used to be. So to all you Hiut and maybe Tellason owners/wearers how are the pockets? Do they comfortabley hold wallet phone etc?
    I know you can return them no problem, but would like to hear the opinions straight from the horses mouth as it were

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    Hi I have a question for Hiut owners. I have mostly worn Levis for my whole life, but in the last couple of years there is something that has bugged me massively with them. It seems they now make the pockets about 2 inches shallower than they used to. I guess it is to save money manufacturing them. If you add up the amount of cloth saved when making millions of jeans i suppose the saving is substantial.

However I like to carry my phone, wallet, keys, and change in my front pockets so the shallower pockets make them uncomfortable compared to what they used to be. So to all you Hiut and maybe Tellason owners/wearers how are the pockets? Do they comfortabley hold wallet phone etc?
    I know you can return them no problem, but would like to hear the opinions straight from the horses mouth as it were
    Tellason - yes.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Why the soaking?
    It removes some of the starch and makes them a little easier to break without removing too much dye, I personally use a large bucket with salt in it and warm water for about 2 hours, hang in shower to dry and then mink oil the leather patch when half dry
    RIAC

Master

Hi

I would say that the pockets of the Hiut jeans are plenty deep enough. I don't put too much in mine these days, but the coin pocket is meant to take an iPhone 5. One thing to bear in mind is that getting your hands into the pockets can be tight until they've worn in a little.

Cheers

Don't worry, you'll still be able to play pocket billiards.

Need to repeat that until you have tried it and get it you can't comment
    I'll stick with my clean non-smelly non- covered in bacteria levi's thanks all the same. I don't fancy leaving dirt wherever I sit on my sofa etc.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Don't worry, you'll still be able to play pocket billiards.
    Is it that obvious what i was getting at?

Grand Master
    I'll stick with my clean non-smelly non- covered in bacteria levi's thanks all the same. I don't fancy leaving dirt wherever I sit on my sofa etc.
    Again do your research, http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...at-least-study
    RIAC

I know what I can see and smell I don't need to read that link. Cheers tho.

Is it that obvious what i was getting at?
    Only to fellow lovers of the sport.

Master
    I know what I can see and smell I don't need to read that link. Cheers tho.
    Just because you choose not to read the link, doesn't mean you're right.

Unless of course you know everything about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Just because you choose not to read the link, doesn't mean you're right.

Unless of course you know everything about everything.
    I read the link. Have you read it? Not sure it's actually saying its a good idea. Health reasons. Unless you put fashion over health of yourself and those who live with you?

Master
    No I didn't read the link, as I'm not arsed either way.

adding the caution that this is just one unpublished study with one person’s jeans.

Grand Master
    Thats one more than those who haven't , a load of experts that have never owned, nor had unwashed jeans making assumptions that they haven't researched.
    RIAC

Master
    I don't understand the forum prudes' concern over some people choosing to not wash their new jeans for 6-12+ mths.

Sure they get a bit pissy and spunky sometimes. But there are things one can do to mitigate that. And then once 'broken in' it's not like they go unwashed permanently.

I'd love to know what they worry the health risks are?

Thing is, like everything - one can spend a fortune on most things. And if people can afford to and choose to - I don't see the problem.

And tbh I don't really want the Forum Prudes' faces sniffing my crotch anyway.

:)

Hiut Denim jeans... don't wash for 6 months ?!

While i respect the "limited" " only for few" " honey we made it" " look what i got this time" " i am one of the few" " cant wait to tell someone i am dirty" attitude and an owner of all the lee 101z collection even the earliest ones pls wash yourselves and your jeans regularly
    Dont live by marketing hype rules
    And health wise it depends what environments you wear your jeans which were all originally made for dirty daily job
    Last edited by raptor; 6th March 2016 at 19:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    While i respect the "limited" " only for few" " honey we made it" " look what i got this time" " i am one of the few" " cant wait to tell someone i am dirty" attitude and an owner of all the lee 101z collection even the earliest ones pls wash yourselves and your jeans regularly
    Dont live by marketing hype rules
    And health wise it depends what environments you wear your jeans which were all originally made for dirty daily job
    FairPlay and 'to each his own' and all that. But in my experience I've come across much smellier, scruffier folk of questionable hygiene in suits and shirts than I have folk in 'expensive' jeans.

Seems I have ventured a little too far off the watch topic.

My previous understanding of an expensive pair of jeans extended to Diesel. I note the online presence of Hiut, do they retail anywhere?

Journeyman
    I really dont understand why people are jumping on this "dont wash for 6 months" thing. Its up to the individual what they want to do with their possesions. I dont own any Hiut jeans(yet) but as far as I can see from their website that is their reccomendation under the washing instuctions, but it would not concern me if they were washed once every six months or 6 times a day. My car is reccomended to change the oil every 18000 miles but i do it every 5000 or thereabouts but who gives a toss whether I follow the manufacturers instructions or not? Or will the forum busy bodies be posting about how they dont agree with it.

Honestly if someone hadn`t washed their jeans for 6 months the only way you would definately know was if they told you.Especially if they have followed the instructions to remove stains, get rid of smell etc etc

I get that some people do not like the idea of not washing them for 6 months but I would imagine they are not going to be buying them anyway so why worry?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    Seems I have ventured a little too far off the watch topic.

My previous understanding of an expensive pair of jeans extended to Diesel. I note the online presence of Hiut, do they retail anywhere?
    There are a few places that sell them. Take a quick look on their site and you might find a place near you. I know that Selfridges and a few places in London sell them but don't know if that is any use to you.

http://hiutdenim.co.uk/pages/stockists

Thanks, must have missed the location map.

Ideally retail to check size and fit.

Im loving my Full Count, The Samurais were £379 !
    Ah, I'm jealous as I didn't realise SOAS sold Samurai's! Always wanted a pair but didn't want to order from Japan and have had my eye on a pair of flat heads anyway. How do they compare to your other jeans?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by u35rm8 View Post
    Ah, I'm jealous as I didn't realise SOAS sold Samurai's! Always wanted a pair but didn't want to order from Japan and have had my eye on a pair of flat heads anyway. How do they compare to your other jeans?
    Early days only rinsed them yesterday and today is first full day on but already feel very good, as with all Raw ill be a long journey till an informed opinion can be made but I really like the cut and detailing on them. No disrespect to Huit etc but they are very mainstream even for a niche market so I much prefer the really 'Geek' brands like Samurai, Full Count, & ONI. For the traditionalists SOAS also sell 'decent' Levis.
    RIAC

Early days only rinsed them yesterday and today is first full day on but already feel very good, as with all Raw ill be a long journey till an informed opinion can be made but I really like the cut and detailing on them. No disrespect to Huit etc but they are very mainstream even for a niche market so I much prefer the really 'Geek' brands like Samurai, Full Count, & ONI. For the traditionalists SOAS also sell 'decent' Levis.
    Which model did you go for in particular? One thing I like about Samurai is that they seem to cater for large thighs which is one of my main criteria! But apart from that I like their attention to detail.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by u35rm8 View Post
    Which model did you go for in particular? One thing I like about Samurai is that they seem to cater for large thighs which is one of my main criteria! But apart from that I like their attention to detail.
    The S003JP
    RIAC

SOAS is definitely a world-class denim shop.

Regarding Samurai, they're great, but I find that the denim is a bit susceptible to abrasive wear considering how thick some of it is.

I'd rate Momotaro a bit more hard-wearing in my experience when it comes to the higher-end stuff.

I doubt anyone would be disappointed with either one, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    SOAS is definitely a world-class denim shop.

Regarding Samurai, they're great, but I find that the denim is a bit susceptible to abrasive wear considering how thick some of it is.

I'd rate Momotaro a bit more hard-wearing in my experience when it comes to the higher-end stuff.

I doubt anyone would be disappointed with either one, though.
    Thanks for opinion, I've had two pairs of Momotaro's in the past and as you say great jeans! However I fancy a change and I never really got on with the pink inseam. Which of the samurai's have you owned?

^

I have the S710XX in 19 oz, which have five years of hard wear on them to date. There's a lot to like about the cut and the way the heavyweight denim develops with wearing. The weave has more variation and "give" to it than usual, which makes them more comfortable than you'd expect from the armour-like inital feel, at least once you get past the cardboard stage. They seem to take shape in more of natural way than anything else I've tried, but it's possible that the initial fit was just a good match.

If you're familiar with heavy premium denim and have the patience to break them in, they're definitely worth a go. Alternatively, if you aren't very hard on jeans, they should essentially last forever; I got a 15-oz-ish pair for Ms. B in 2011 and they still pretty much look like this:

(cuff obviously not at usual wearing level)

Personally, I dig the bit of pink that Momotaro uses. If you're looking for something different, I can also highly recommend their Japan Blue line, which seems to gain a bit of a durability advantage in the long haul by doing away with some of the denim-nerd details such as hidden rivets and a lot of different thread weights. This somewhat-simplified but still premium-grade construction holds up extremely well, and I'd rate the denim quality up there with the best of them. Blue inseam stiching, too. :)

Master
    No disrespect to Huit etc but they are very mainstream even for a niche market so I much prefer the really 'Geek' brands like Samurai, Full Count, & ONI. For the traditionalists SOAS also sell 'decent' Levis.
    I promise to try a different brand of 'premium' jeans next. I just got a little addicted to Hiuts for a while :)

And I work on Brick Lane in London, just round the corner from SOAS :)

Master
    I have the S710XX in 19 oz, which have five years of hard wear on them to date.
    'premium' jeans, king's new clothes more like
    I'm currently wearing a pair of Pierre Cardin jeans, one of 2 pairs I have, which are my work jeans. I bought them 12 years ago for a whole £10 a pair from some discount warehouse place (don't remember the name), they still wear and look like new, if only slightly faded.

Master

I got a 15-oz-ish pair for Ms. B in 2011 and they still pretty much look like this:

(cuff obviously not at usual wearing level)

My what be feet she has...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    I promise to try a different brand of 'premium' jeans next. I just got a little addicted to Hiuts for a while :)

And I work on Brick Lane in London, just round the corner from SOAS :)
    Nice; no need to choose something in a rush, then. Since you don't have to do this while travelling (or buy online without even trying on), take your time and don't compromise on fit. It's better to have one pair that's spot-on than several that aren't quite right, no matter how high-end the materials and construction.

Fortunately, I find that the staff at the shop have that fortunate combination of really knowing their stuff and not being sales-ey. They seem to really appreciate quality no-BS denim, and it shows.

Master
    Yeah, I'll spend some time browsing and chatting to the staff.

I just want to strike the right balance between, not too heavy weight denim and a price that will boil the p*ss of the folk on the forum who have better ideas about how I should spend my hard earned ;)

Grand Master

I just want to strike the right balance between, not too heavy weight denim and a price that will boil the p*ss of the folk on the forum who have better ideas about how I should spend my hard earned ;)
    If you speak to Ruben or Linda tell them you're a mate of mine Im sure they will look after you!
    RIAC

Master
    If you speak to Ruben or Linda tell them you're a mate of mine Im sure they will look after you!
    Nice one, thanks :)

A men's jewellery forum, no less. :)

I have no regrets about getting good jeans and I find they offer solid value for money considering the abuse I put them through — as well as the minor practical matter that speciality denim is pretty much the only game in town for the inseam I need. (I find it a bit funny that the longest cuts almost always come from Japan.)

In many ways, it's similar to wristwatches; some people appreciate the technique and details that go into the high-grade stuff, and some don't really give a crap. No big deal either way. In other ways it's different, however; women tend to actually notice quality clothing. :P

Buy less, buy better, and really use it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    'premium' jeans, king's new clothes more like
    I'm currently wearing a pair of Pierre Cardin jeans, one of 2 pairs I have, which are my work jeans. I bought them 12 years ago for a whole £10 a pair from some discount warehouse place (don't remember the name), they still wear and look like new, if only slightly faded.

Journeyman
    For all you jeans afficionados you should have a look at these- absolute class!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX85QqzrXO0

Master
    Business Idea: I am considering setting up a business that supplies £300 jeans that have already been p*ssed on, for £400 :)

I'm going to go for some Full count ones next for sure. Not ".pre-wee'd" ones either.

I have had a pair of the 19 Oz Samurai jeans that I bought in Japan now for about three years and they do fit well for those of us with larger thighs. Have worn in really well with great colour fades, my only criticism is that the stitching does come unpicked quite quickly and is not nearly as neat as Momotaro. Momotaro is a much higher level of refinement and I like the pink stitching and battle stripe on the back, distinctive.

^

Agreed; that's been my experience as well. Samurai has excellent fit and denim, but the details aren't quite at the same level. The stitching hasn't been the most durable, particularly the rear pockets. I get that they like to use old-school cotton thread, but I'd personally much rather see something stronger. It's no big deal to repair — and stays repaired with the hemp thread from the cordwainer — but it shouldn't be necessary.

Momotaro seems to do a better job with their needlework; unfortunately, I have yet to find a cut from them that's as spot-on for me as the S710XX.