closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiut Denim jeans... don't wash for 6 months ?!

Blog Entries
    Dat wikkid tread pourst

Feel da luv

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    This is a fantastic thread and I'm going to order a pair of Huit. I take it their dimensions take into account any shrinkage and represent the size they will end up at after the initial wash?
    You gonna wer dem down tha coal mine like all da other hipster's?

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    You gonna wer dem down tha coal mine like all da other hipster's?
    Hipster! The marketing man has been messing with your head.

No, I'll wear them on the farm. Hopefully they'll be nicely broken in by time I get the baler going.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This is a fantastic thread and I'm going to order a pair of Huit. I take it their dimensions take into account any shrinkage and represent the size they will end up at after the initial wash?

I normally wear 34" trousers / jeans, and the 34" Hiut's were a perfect fit (once I'd managed to sit down in them!)... they've stretched maybe an inch since January (and I've lost a little weight) so they need a belt now, but I would expect them to shrink back to 34" when I eventually wash them.

For info - the hotter the wash, the more the shrink.

Grand Master
    The initial and all subsequent washes should be at 30c ideally to maintain the shape, fade etc
    RIAC

Journeyman
    The marketing man has been messing with your head.
    The owner of Hiut (Mr Hiatt) is a marketing expert. It's what he does.
    I don't see the fuss. They are nice jeans and made in the UK but the same money gets you a pair of flat heads or UES or PBJs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
    The owner of Hiut (Mr Hiatt) is a marketing expert. It's what he does.
    I don't see the fuss. They are nice jeans and made in the UK but the same money gets you a pair of flat heads or UES or PBJs.
    Agree they are good marketeers. But I'm pleased with the product (and I appreciate there are a good few other niche denim makers out there I could try that would be cheaper). I like the fit. And the 'free repairs' is worth factoring in to the cost - I am not saying other co.s don't offer the same - I just don't know.

I have 4 pairs of Hiut - 2 selvedge and 2 organic. And I am likely to buy more....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    Agree they are good marketeers. But I'm pleased with the product (and I appreciate there are a good few other niche denim makers out there I could try that would be cheaper). I like the fit. And the 'free repairs' is worth factoring in to the cost - I am not saying other co.s don't offer the same - I just don't know.

I have 4 pairs of Hiut - 2 selvedge and 2 organic. And I am likely to buy more....
    How do you rate the two denims together.

Paul

Master
    Hmmm. Well (and at the risk of stating the obvious):

Organic is thinner and 'lighter' than selvedge. Selvedge seems to age/wear 'better' in the sense that the pair I have worn the most are one of my selvedge ones and are now looking more 'lived in'.

I think because they're 'heavier' (and the difference isn't super huge), I might end up wearing them more in colder weather. Dunno.

I've recently lost a little weight (see comment above about mid-life crisis..) and I'm loving my slim fit ones right now. They're organic and I will order another pair....the question will be organic or selvedge hmmmm.

I bought some Huit underwear, am following instructions diligently.

4 months in and they are feeling goooood. Soft and tingly, I'm getting a real buzz from this. I think they look great on.

"Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Roflcopters.

:)

Hiut Denim jeans... don't wash for 6 months ?!

After reading this thread I ordered a couple of pairs of Hiut jeans. A few days after ordering I thought I might need a smaller size and spoke to Hiut. They kindly dispatched a further two pairs of jeans without charging me for them as long as I promised to return at least two pairs once I'd tried them on.

I was very impressed with the jeans when they arrived. I ordered the Work and the Hack and having worn Levi 501s for the last 25 years I now realise, that for me, the Levi's weren't that good a fit.

I'm sure there is an element of marketing hype about raw denim and Hiut certainly have a slick website. However, the jeans are well made with a fantastic level of detailing. I went for the Organics which at £130 certainly aren't cheap but they are better value than the £90 Levi 501s I have bought in the past.

The jeans were nowhere near as stiff as I expected and after a few days wear they are very comfortable. All raw denim manufacturers recommend not washing them for 6 months as discussed above. I'll have to see if I can last that long.

Blog Entries
    I had the same experience with the guys at Huit which is great CS.

I am seven weeks in with wearing them most evenings at home. Wife has just had a sniff and says they are fine and if she says that they ARE.

Great jeans if you ask me.

Paul

Master
    Mine arrived today,so wash in August then.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I had the same experience with the guys at Huit which is great CS.

I am seven weeks in with wearing them most evenings at home. Wife has just had a sniff and says they are fine and if she says that they ARE.

Great jeans if you ask me.

Paul
    Shouldn't this be in the BP?

Master
    I've 5 pairs and love then. I have 2 from their very first batch. 1 of which has been back for free repair.
    And one pair I've not even worn :)

Love the Customer service too

I think I will try different brand next though - I work on brick lane in London- just round from Son of Stag :)
    Last edited by Tomw2000; 5th February 2016 at 18:49.

Master
    I'm two months in with a pair of slim Hiut. Been wearing them probably 4 days a week, every week so far.

I work alone usually, which helps :-)

They're due a stint in the freezer I think.

Master
    Just taken the plunge with Hiut as well - ordered a pair of their The Hack in organic - looked around a little (OK, quite a lot) and went with these in the end. I was paying about £90 for a pair of Levis so these didn't seem that bad at £130 and comparable prices with quite a few others. This will be the first pair like this for me so let's see how I get on...

Planning on wearing like a normal pair - evenings, weekends, occasionally to work, riding a bike when the weather is better etc. etc.

Master
    FYI they've just announced another limited run - black selvedge:

http://hiutdenim.co.uk/collections/s...un?gender=mens

Master
    How much?
    For a pair of denim trousers?

I'll stick with my Henri Lloyd's thanks, a great british brand, cheap in comparison and fit me perfectly

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    How much?

I'll stick with my Henri Lloyd's thanks, a great british brand, cheap in comparison and fit me perfectly
    I'm a big believer that if I you've found a pair of jeans that you love the fit of (and price) then stick with them.

I jumped on the hiut bandwagon right at the start - their first batch. I'd been a long term Howies customer and liked the story.

Made in Wales. Great customer services. And free life time wear and tear repairs. I live in jeans (work and social) and the repair service has been great.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    How much?

I'll stick with my Henri Lloyd's thanks, a great british brand, cheap in comparison
    They might be cheaper because it's a 'great british brand' made in a foreign country by cheap labour.

http://www.rabbiedenimglasgow.co.uk/

Anyone tried these before?
    They look smart, but have a price tag to match.

Craftsman
    Smart if you're a Russian arms dealer at a vegas pool party maybe

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    Smart if you're a Russian arms dealer at a vegas pool party maybe
    These are right up my street ;)

Got my Hiut's back yesterday after I sent them back to have some repairs completed. The repairs were due to wear (crotch area) and they did an excellent job. Hiut offer free repairs for life which is a nice touch and a sign they stand by their product.

Got my Hiut's back yesterday after I sent them back to have some repairs completed. The repairs were due to wear (crotch area)
    Bet they've got people queueing up for that job.

Master
    It's good to know that companies like Hiut will do repairs for free due to wear and tear as opposed to just manufacturing faults. Hard to come by that sort of service these days.
    Been wearing mine for the last few days and they are starting to soften (a little), bit tight on the waist when sitting down but getting better in that regard too.
    So far, very happy with my first piece of raw denim.

PS loved the paper bag the Hiut's come in!

Got my Hiut's back yesterday after I sent them back to have some repairs completed. The repairs were due to wear (crotch area) and they did an excellent job. Hiut offer free repairs for life which is a nice touch and a sign they stand by their product.
    Very good customer service for sure. I always have to repair my jeans in the crotch area too - would be interested to see how Hiut do these repairs. From my experience (with other brands) you can't repair more than once though.

Master
    This is how they do the repairs, you couldn't do the same again in the same area I don't think:

They def get better with age, these are 2012 organic regular fit:

^Thanks. That's how I also mend mine. Definately only once though.

Master
    I work with someone who never washes his clothes and it shows

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I work with someone who never washes his clothes and it shows
    How does it show? Has he got some cool fades on his jeans?

Craftsman
    Men! 6 months without washing them means that in the morning you call them and they come to be worn.
    Or you can walk in the park with them aside.

Would there be any benefit to taking the same approach to Marks & Spencer Y fronts?

I would be most interested in any method that would extend the current 5 year average lifespan of a new pair

Here's my Selvedge Work.

They were bought in May 2014 and I think I went about 8 months before the first wash, when the smell beat me into submission. I now wash about once a month.

These have also been back for repairs, on the hems at the bottom where they tend to rub.

I'm currently rocking a pair of Japan-made Iron Heart 21oz. They're so heavy it will take a while before they're worn in to the point where I can wash them. I'm already seven months in and they're miles off being ready.

I don't know whether I'm more shocked at the thought of scruffs going around in kecks that haven't seen the inside of a washing machine for months at a stretch, or the thought of some other poor sod even having to touch them let alone repair where the owner's Betty Swollocks have worn through the material.

Need to apply some mind bleach before dinner!

These are harder to look after than a new born child. Ridiculous that to shouldn't wash clothes for at least 6 months. Simply crazy. Think of the dirt and bacteria. Sticking to my Levi 501/504's.

So you have to grow muschrooms on those jeans from dirt and bacteria
    Ok

Journeyman
    Good jeans just feel right and you feel good wearing them. I remember trying on loads of pairs in a shop in Stafford town centre in 2002 (when I was a bit slimmer) - one pair immediately felt and looked good. I looked at the price tag: £120! I couldn't imagine paying that much for 'jeans' so tried on all the others a few times but eventually bought the £120 pair and felt great every time I wore them. They were made by SealKay, I don't know how they rank in the denim world, but they hit the spot for me then.

I understand why not washing them for months helps the wear and creases to develop but how do you all cope with the 'knees' that always seem to develop in means and chino-type trousers?

Master
    Cos this guy guy at work never washes I never get near enough to look at "creases " because of the smell

@The Bat

Simply hitch your trousers up a tad when you sit down.

It's an old trick to stop your suit trousers from bagging at the knees.

Hiut won't repair your jeans if they aren't freshly washed.

Does anybody wash them more often to get more even, "vintage" fades?

Grand Master
    Couldn't resist when in SOAS on friday and grabbed some lovely Samurai S003JP's which I Soaked last night and are hanging ready to be broke
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 6th March 2016 at 08:33.
    RIAC

I'm wearing some Tellasons at the moment, but because I wear a suit every day for work I don't really get time to break them in - they still look pretty new a year later. I also spoke with Phil (owner) at the Liquor Store in Birmingham last week and he has recommended I take a look at his new Fullcount Japanese denim...but the price!!
    Last edited by dejjl; 6th March 2016 at 11:04.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    I'm wearing some Tellasons at the moment, but because I wear a suit every for work I don't really get time to break them in - they still look pretty new a year later. I also spoke with Phil (owner) at the Liquor Store in Birmingham last week and he has recommended I take a look at his new Fullcount Japanese denim...but the price!!
    Im loving my Full Count, The Samurais were £379 !
    RIAC

Grand Master
    My ONI are just over a year old and have had crotch and Hems repaired plus pockets but starting to feel fantastic

RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    I'm wearing some Tellasons at the moment, but because I wear a suit every for work I don't really get time to break them in - they still look pretty new a year later[...]
    Tellason denim is quality stuff, and I find the cut and fit are excellent.

However, in my experience, the break-in period has been extremely rapid; the fibres seem almost brittle compared to other premium denim after wearing them without an initial soak. For longevity, I'd recommend giving them a rinse more frequently than usual. In retrospect, I wish I'd soaked the starch out of mine before wearing; they definitely don't need it to develop good contrast.

Master
    Nobody really believes that the Hiut repair service is actually free do they? Surely it's built in to the pricing model?

I must admit, I like the idea of a pair, but not sure about the breaking in process and not washing.