closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiut Denim jeans... don't wash for 6 months ?!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Looks like I am not the only gay in the village!
    Mine are now breaking in nicely... just 5 months and a week until the first wash

Craftsman
    Just bought some Hiut denim on the strength of this thread and some engaging youtube videos with the owner. I am pretty excited, wasn't sure on sizing so got a few pairs as they offer a no quibble free return service... having said that still seems a little daunting to have almost £400 worth of jeans in the post!

How's everyone doing on the no washing business?
    Best regards
    Chris

[QUOTE= How's everyone doing on the no washing business? Best regards Chris[/QUOTE]

Been going great- 3 months so far- but have had some comments at work

Oh you mean with the JEANS?

Blog Entries
    Excellent...

I received an email yesterday saying mine are dispatched and hoping I have the size right. Gone for 32'' x 34'' SlimR 's as I tend to wear with a turn up with Brogues.

Hopefully here tomorrow.

Paul

Blog Entries
    No way am I stepping up my laundry to twice a year.....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    Just bought some Hiut denim on the strength of this thread and some engaging youtube videos with the owner. I am pretty excited, wasn't sure on sizing so got a few pairs as they offer a no quibble free return service... having said that still seems a little daunting to have almost £400 worth of jeans in the post!

How's everyone doing on the no washing business?
    Best regards
    Chris
    Don't be too shocked at how stiff they are when they turn up !
    My Hiuts are now ~7 weeks old and starting to break in nicely.
    Haven't had to 'freeze' them yet.

Biggest problem is that I've lost nearly a stone since the beginning of the year due to abdominal surgery and reduced diet, so will need to get some with a 32" waist soon, and start all over again. (I will probably wash the ones I have got before bunging them on the SC !)

They are lovely jeans though. Must take some more pictures and upload them to my Hiut account soon.

Enjoy !
    Daniel.

Craftsman
    I am getting pretty excited, I ordered Monday night and they were marked "in stock", but as of yet no dispatch email... how quickly did yours arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Don't be too shocked at how stiff they are when they turn up !
    My Hiuts are now ~7 weeks old and starting to break in nicely.
    Haven't had to 'freeze' them yet.

Biggest problem is that I've lost nearly a stone since the beginning of the year due to abdominal surgery and reduced diet, so will need to get some with a 32" waist soon, and start all over again. (I will probably wash the ones I have got before bunging them on the SC !)

They are lovely jeans though. Must take some more pictures and upload them to my Hiut account soon.

Enjoy !
    Daniel.

Blog Entries
    Well mine arrived today and were ordered 19th Jan. Absolutely fantastic jeans and they just exude quality.

Only prob is I think I should have gone for 32 leg not 34 but a swift email at 5:30 was answered straight away and I may get replacements through quicker to decide.

It restores faith when you do deal with a customer focused company.

Ta
    Paul

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am getting pretty excited, I ordered Monday night and they were marked "in stock", but as of yet no dispatch email... how quickly did yours arrive?

I bought mine from a bricks and mortar store (Denim Eleven) in Bournemouth. Highly recommended.

They only make a few hundred pairs a week... it's worth the wait, but if you've not had a confirmation email then give them a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorrocks View Post
    You want Uniqlo denim, you do!
    I was going to say Gap.

Good range of styles and sizes and I've bought them for as little as £20 in their sales.

But I'm with a couple of other posters on this - jeans are utility clothing for kicking around in at the weekend. Smart jeans feels like an oxymoron to me, although I am quite fickle so might change my mind on that.

I've been wondering how many of those who don't wash their jeans go commando as well. It's just icky...

Craftsman
    None, why would they? But yeh agreed it's icky that you spend time thinking about the underwear choices of other members.

Blog Entries
    32/32's are here!!!!!

Absolutely superb jeans and the SlimR's are perfect with the Grenson Freds, Loake Chester's and of course me Clarks Originals DB's.

Paul

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    32/32's are here!!!!!

Absolutely superb jeans and the SlimR's are perfect with the Grenson Freds, Loake Chester's and of course me Clarks Originals DB's.

Paul

I will be able to get into some that size soon...

Craftsman
    I went for the 33/32 Hack, not as slim as the SlimR but a lovely fit for me, got them on Monday and have worn them in the evenings everyday since. They are starting to break in but still a little stiff. The process is quite exciting! Even made a video, which is primarily about me enjoying the sound of my own voice ;) http://youtu.be/xMJTKvl5Npo
    Best regards,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    32/32's are here!!!!!

Paul

Blog Entries
    Excellent vid Chris and nice to hear I am not alone in my excitement and enthusiasm for the company and product.

Mine will become slouch wear every evening to ensure the wear is being had.

They will also be worn to the slaughter of Stoke today at Norwich.

Enjoy

Paul

I went for the 33/32 Hack, not as slim as the SlimR but a lovely fit for me, got them on Monday and have worn them in the evenings everyday since. They are starting to break in but still a little stiff. The process is quite exciting! Even made a video, which is primarily about me enjoying the sound of my own voice ;) http://youtu.be/xMJTKvl5Npo
    Best regards,
    Chris
    Nice one. Are you going to give us an update in six months so we can see whats happened?

I bought a pair of Hacks on the strength of this thread (sic) from Trunk Clothiers, I thought I wanted the regular fit but the guys at Trunk said they hadn't bothered stocking them as the slim fit is pretty generous, and I must say I agree. The fit is awesome. I've got about an inch of turn-up on them, look good with brogues or my RM's. I'm going for the no-wash regime.... Fabreze at the ready!

Must say, as a budget option though, that Uniqlo Japanese selvedge jeans for 60-odd quid takes some beating. Nowhere near the weight of th Hiuts though obviously.
    Last edited by Jorrocks; 10th March 2014 at 16:26.

Grand Master
    Tellason for me, very niche, very geek, lovely bit of cloth
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Tellason for me, very niche, very geek, lovely bit of cloth

Cool things. Like the Cone Mills White Oak red-line selvedge a lot. The Tanner Goods patch is also a nice touch.

Actually just bought some 13.75oz Kuroki Mills (Okayama) selvedge from a new brand - Second Narrow in Canada.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Got myself some tellason's. Great things. I also picked up a pair of Taylor stitch also made in California 13.5 Ounce Nisshinbo Mills (Japan) copper denim.

Got them from a great store called iron and resin. http://shop.ironandresin.com/taylor-...135-oz/dp/5148

Both these and the tellason are far nicer than the huit offerings. I did look at the huit's when in Cardiff and they are a bit gimmicky without the quality.
    Last edited by Middo; 9th April 2014 at 20:33.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Got myself some tellason's. Great things. I also picked up a pair of Taylor and stitch also made in California 13.5 Ounce Nisshinbo Mills (Japan) copper denim.

Got them from a great store called iron and resin. http://shop.ironandresin.com/taylor-...135-oz/dp/5148

Both these and the tellason are far nicer than the huit offerings. I did look at the hurts when in Cardiff and they are a bit gimmicky without the quality.
    Tellasons are just the buisness, got a pair on right now and into month 3 already, fading coming on nicely and breaking better every week
    RIAC

My 30/32 organics arrived today (despite autocorrect spelling the address wrong before I noticed, still arrived.) and I'm slightly fearful of the six month break in but will definitely give it a go for as long as I dare/can get away with it...

fantastic quality jeans though, attention to detail is amazing.

Continuing the British-made jeans theme, Universal Works' new denims are made in the Midlands from denim woven on vintage Japanese looms in Portugal - the sort of things denim addicts love. Forgive the link to my blog http://www.greyfoxblog.com/2014/04/u...nim-jeans.html

My Nudie organic raw jeans are almost three months old and are wearing in nicely. Barring spills I have no intention of washing them for 12 months. My brother owns 5 pairs of Edwins that he's bought over the last 5 years and only 2 pairs have ever been washed once and you'd never know.

My Samurai jeans are coming up to a year without washing, although I haven't worn them every day as I wear suits at work and they're too heavy to wear in the summer. So I reckon I'll keep going for a few more months before washing until the creases have really set in.

Grotty...that is all.

Master
    Interesting to see the hiut feedback. I've four pairs now. All good and i have to say the Free Repairs for Life is appealing - and is a service I've used already.

I was about to get another pair. But might look at some others - I have both organic and selvedge denim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davide View Post
    Continuing the British-made jeans theme, Universal Works' new denims are made in the Midlands from denim woven on vintage Japanese looms in Portugal - the sort of things denim addicts love. Forgive the link to my blog http://www.greyfoxblog.com/2014/04/u...nim-jeans.html
    You need never apologise for linking your blog it is the best read on the www and tweets are always great.

My buy British '14 would be a struggle without the continued input and amongst others (and tweeted today) the Cock and Bull t-shirts are not just perfect weight and quality they are totally VFM.

Many thanks mate

Paul @Pitch3110

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    Interesting to see the hiut feedback. I've four pairs now. All good and i have to say the Free Repairs for Life is appealing - and is a service I've used already.

I was about to get another pair. But might look at some others - I have both organic and selvedge denim.
    Good to hear on the Hiut's, mine are 6 weeks in and have softened nicely.

Paul

I might have missed this but what exactly is the benefit of not washing your jeans? Apart from looking like a vagrant?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I might have missed this but what exactly is the benefit of not washing your jeans? Apart from looking like a vagrant?
    they 'age' better. As in how the denim 'wears' in terms of the colour coming out of it.

Or not.

Each to their own.

And yes, I am suckered in and rarely wash mine. I STINK :)

Reading this thread makes me feel very, very old.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Reading this thread makes me feel very, very old.
    You need a good dose of old fashioned mid-life crisis.

I am 41 and have disposable income such that I can choose to drop money on 'emperor's new clothes' jeans.

And I look amazing*.

*or not. Not, obviously.

Don't see why it should, people have been doing this since the sixties. John Wayne used to wear his jeans in the sea to wear them in.

I am 41 and have disposable income such that I can choose to drop money on 'emperor's new clothes' jeans.

And I look amazing*.

*or not. Not, obviously.
    Love it!

Banned
    Blog Entries

And I look amazing*.

*or not. Not, obviously.

^^^ I can totally relate to this

Quick update from my first post... three-and-a-bit months in and my Hiut's are now quite soft and wearing in nicely. No intention of washing them yet.

Craftsman
    Ok, so quick "newbie" question:

Once this wearing in period is over, do you then move to a more standard regular washing regime? Or am I completely screwing my jeans by washing them, you know, at least weekly...

Master
    Washing them regularly spreads the dye Viking, so the fading is more overall, rather than confined to the wear points kinda thing. Washing them regularly also tends to make them last longer as the fibres tighten in the wash. "Crotch blowout" is much more common in unwashed raw denim. Yep that is a real term among the denimistas. A good mate of mine is one so I pick this stuff up. Imagine WIS only in denim. :)

You can get fades and all that stuff in normal denim too. Though it's harder to get and you need to get the darkest colour to achieve it in non "raw". Same thing though, no washing at first. I find it funny that in the past, denim was advertised as better if pre shrunk, colour fast and not raw and was pricier for it. Today we look for the "authentic" and the vintage denim can go for mad money. And yet pay more for the privilege for the opposite in the new stuff. Marketing is a beaut.

Craftsman
    If you would do the initial 6 months, you'd never think of washing the jeans every week.

6 months isnt some initial one off, it's an ongoing service.

Those of you trying the 'no wash' regime might be interested in this stuff:

http://mr-blacks.com/denim-refresh/

I've had my Hiuts for two months now and they're still perfectly fresh using a combination of the Mr Black's and two nights weekly in the chest freezer!

I've been wearing my Flat Head 3009s for about 9 months without washing them

had them since last June, went to south Africa for three weeks in February, & it was warm here last July (for a week or two?). apart from these times, I've worn them every day

this is how the same denim can age:

http://www.rawrdenim.com/2011/10/fad...1-18-5-months/

this one blows my mind:

http://www.rawrdenim.com/2012/03/fad...nths-3-washes/

& were the reason I wanted this fabric

check out how they are made:

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/ind...-head/page-265

Soap dodgers charter!

I ordered a pair of the SlimR organic (32/30) on the strength of this thread. They arrived 2 weeks ago and I have only had a chance to wear them a few times so they are still like cardboard. What can I do other than wear them to help them soften? Obviously I don't want to wash them yet.

Build quality is great, the slim fit works for me though the stiffness does make them a little tight on the hip and thigh. I'm hoping this will ease as they soften. I love the subtle detailing like the contrast blue stitch on the back pockets (just visible) and the single red owl rivet.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    I ordered a pair of the SlimR organic (32/30) on the strength of this thread. They arrived 2 weeks ago and I have only had a chance to wear them a few times so they are still like cardboard. What can I do other than wear them to help them soften? Obviously I don't want to wash them yet.

Build quality is great, the slim fit works for me though the stiffness does make them a little tight on the hip and thigh. I'm hoping this will ease as they soften. I love the subtle detailing like the contrast blue stitch on the back pockets (just visible) and the single red owl rivet.
    I am afraid you just have to wear them !!
    They will stretch anything up to an inch in the waist as you wear them, so will become slightly looser with wear.

At first I couldn't even sit on the sofa in mine, but the more you wear them the softer they get. Even so, 3+ months in, they are still stiffer than any newly-bought 'pre-washed' pair of jeans I've bought, however, they fit a million times better.

Just like the Guinness ad says... good things come to those who wait ;)

Blog Entries
    Agree with the above.

I am 6 weeks in with mine and they are softening up lovely. I tend to wear them round the house all the time and every evening after a bath.

As you say they are stiff and quite frankly bloody uncomfortable for the first half dozen times.

The other thing with these is unlike pre washed jeans I have been wearing, Replay, Denham which stretch after a couple of wears (but string back during washing), these seem to be holding shape extremely well.

Like you, I have SlimR's and the fit is superb .

Enjoy

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I might have missed this but what exactly is the benefit of not washing your jeans?
    It is a marketing ploy to appeal to hipsters.

Even better if you can match a pair with your grandads jumper that hasn't been washed since he was in El Alamein in WW2.

Then all you need to do is grow a big beard and hang about coffee shops. Also don't forget your rigger boots, single speed bike from 1981 and pick axe.

Last edited by studly; 12th April 2014 at 07:38.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    It is a marketing ploy to appeal to hipsters.
    Everything you do/buy/watch is down to some sort of marketing or advertising ploy.Fashion especially..nothing new,just recycled from decade to decade.The first pair of jeans I ever bought were skinny shrink to fit raw..thats how they came,now you pay a premium for them!.

If you said 20 years ago people would be paying for bottled water and 20 yr olds would be wearing nation heath specs with clear glass in ON PURPOSE while growing beards and wearing compo/last of the summer wine bobble hats no one would believe you.

Just waiting for my 70s cuban heels,"Miami vice" 80s suit or 70s/90s flares to come back "in"..

I think the premium you pay for here is the UK made.
    Saying that that though, I had a pair of Nudie bought at pretty much the same time and the difference in quality is obvious.

You can tell by the weight and feel that the Huit are far superior.

I'm about a month in with my Huit, and I've worn them all day everyday (week day).

No complaints apart from them bleeding into every pair of trainers I've worn with them.

This is a fantastic thread and I'm going to order a pair of Huit. I take it their dimensions take into account any shrinkage and represent the size they will end up at after the initial wash?