closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New arrival - IWC VC Ingenieur Laureus

Master

New arrival - IWC VC Ingenieur Laureus

Snappily titled the "IWC Vintage Collection Ingenieur Edition Laureus Sport for Good Foundation", this Limited edition was launched in 2011, and limited to 1,000 pieces. In essence, this is a VC Ingenieur with a blue dial and a solid caseback. The caseback forms the connection to the Laureus charity, and depicts a drawing made by an eight year old boy from Mumbai.

When I chose this one I was comparing it with several other blue-dialled watches in a similar price bracket. I decided to go for this one, despite never having seen one in the flesh...

Between ordering it and delivery, I had to wait about 10 days, and during that time, my anxiety grew, concerning the size of the watch - would it be too big, or would I get away with it...

Additionally, being a relatively large watch (42.5mm x 14.5mm), but a fundamentally simple design, this one would only achieve success through the quality of the detail execution...I had looked at hundreds of online pictures and a couple of videos, but still, I waited with some trepidation.

Finally, whilst researching this model, I was amazed (and somewhat concerned) at the amount of information pertaining to replicas/fakes/copies. However, I believe I've done my homework and sourced it from a reputable supplier with a full history, so no real worries on that score.

Inside, this has the IWC 80111 movement, which is well-proven and extremely robust in-house movement, with the Pellaton winding system. It has 28 jewels and 44 hours power reserve.

Some commentators criticise this model because it lacks a faraday cage for enhanced magnetic protection, claiming that it cannot be a "real" Ingenieur without this feature. I can understand that point of view, but since I like the watch, I decided to overlook the issue, and anyway, if I need an anti-magnetic watch, I have a few in the box. :)

This watch has 120m WR and a screw-in crown, adding some additional credibility to the "tool" origins. On the alligator strap it weighs in at 99g, which is relatively light for a watch of this size, and is just about the same as an AT on alligator/deployant.

Overall, this is very well executed,............difficult to categorise - too large to be a dress watch, quite understated for a sport watch, and a bit bling for a tool watch. One of details I particularly like is the minute track, which appear to be individually applied round steel markers. This is not the best picture, but maybe it shows the idea..

On the wrist...

Happily, despite the dimensions (42.5mm x 14.5mm, 22mm lugs, 50mm lug-to-lug), I think it is a good fit and it has a good balance of 'wrist presence' and conservative looks.

My conclusions:

A big part of choosing watches (for me) is to ensure they fit into my collection, so I needed to consider this watch in that context, rather than solely as an individual watch. In this respect I can overlook the foibles (1.5mm taller than ideal, and no soft-iron cage - which may have made it even taller...) and appreciate the simplicity and quality of execution. Adding another brand to my collection and a smart-looking blue dial help tick a couple more boxes, and therefore, I'm happy to say this watch fits in nicely. :)

Last edited by downer; 5th January 2014 at 18:56.

Nice indeed and a decent varied collection too, apologies if I missed it but what is the case width on the IWC?

That is absolutely lovely - a beautiful blue hue on the dial. Congrats and wear it in the best of health

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post
    Nice indeed and a decent varied collection too, apologies if I missed it but what is the case width on the IWC?
    A very precise 42.5mm.

Gorgeous in it's simplicity - I'd say dress watch (imho), looks exceptionally well executed in design and you should have no worries about the size - fit looks perfect. Love you collection, and pleased to see two from my own stash feature!
    Congratulations on a wonderful looking watch.

I've long admired the Ingy Vintage collection and this one is a really lovely looking piece.
    It's got me thinking about them again and a quick scan on Chrono24…
    Enjoy.

Lovely watch and a great collection. Thanks for the review and pictures

Nice to see a modern IWC that exudes subtle quality and class, lovely!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely, my idea of a very nice dress watch, perfect size and proportions

Master
    Blog Entries
    Completely and utterly beautiful.

Craftsman
    Stunning watch, love the dial and the blue hue it gives. And what a wonderful collection to add it too

Congratulations, it's a sharp looking piece that fits nicely into your collection

Blog Entries
    Great collection......love the PO.

btw...how does the Supermarine wear on the bracelet and how would you rate the bracelet in terms of quality . Thinking of getting the bracelet for my ALT1-C and worried it may be too heavy and is pricey. A comparison to the PO on bracelet would be helpful as I have had 5 :(
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 5th January 2014 at 20:38.

Apprentice
    A beauty no doubt. Lov the caseback. Big Congrats !!!!

Fits you perfectly. Well done!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Great collection......love the PO.

btw...how does the Supermarine wear on the bracelet and how would you rate the bracelet in terms of quality . Thinking of getting the bracelet for my ALT1-C and worried it may be too heavy and is pricey. A comparison to the PO on bracelet would be helpful as I have had 5 :(
    The Bremont bracelet is heavy - no doubt about that. It also lacks half-links and has limited (2) micro-adjustment holes in the clasp. As for quality, it is a very precise fit on the watch head, which makes it easy to change (I always think that's a good sign of quality - an Omega bracelet slots in, as does this Bremont, but other cheaper/lower quality bracelets can be a proper PITA). The links are screwed together and the bracelet feels solid and has stood up well to desk-diving, although I don't think it is hardened like the watch cases. Overall, I think the bracelet is a bit pricey for what it is, although I got a good deal as I purchased it at the same time as the SM500. I've tried to SM on leather (good), Bremont rubber (too stiff), and the canvas/velco (not my cuppa). I keep coming back to the bracelet, despite the extra weight it brings.

I've been eyeing these for awhile as well, was just unsure on the shade of blue. Was this the one from Watch.co.uk by any chance?

Cheers

David

Craftsman
    Great post, great pics, great watch.... !!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    The Bremont bracelet is heavy - no doubt about that. It also lacks half-links and has limited (2) micro-adjustment holes in the clasp. As for quality, it is a very precise fit on the watch head, which makes it easy to change (I always think that's a good sign of quality - an Omega bracelet slots in, as does this Bremont, but other cheaper/lower quality bracelets can be a proper PITA). The links are screwed together and the bracelet feels solid and has stood up well to desk-diving, although I don't think it is hardened like the watch cases. Overall, I think the bracelet is a bit pricey for what it is, although I got a good deal as I purchased it at the same time as the SM500. I've tried to SM on leather (good), Bremont rubber (too stiff), and the canvas/velco (not my cuppa). I keep coming back to the bracelet, despite the extra weight it brings.
    cheers...very helpful

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Downing View Post
    I've been eyeing these for awhile as well, was just unsure on the shade of blue. Was this the one from Watch.co.uk by any chance?

Cheers

David
    It was indeed from watches.co.uk It arrived in great condition, complete with all packaging/tags/warranty cards etc. Have to say, I'm very pleased with it.

As for the shade of blue, it's very dependant on the lighting, and the dial changes colour in strong light. Mostly though, it's a fairly subdued shade of blue - not garish in any way.

Master
    Just in case anyone is interested, the tie-up between IWC and Laureus was mainly due to a certain Mr. Monty Shadow, a Croatian-born photographer turned publisher who is also on the board of Mercedes Benz's AMG division and who, in the 1980s, had a funny habit of introducing F1 racing drivers and team principals to supermodels. He introduced Bernie Ecclestone to his now ex-wife Slavica. Anyway, Monty has been part of the Laureus organising committee for years and was also previously employed as a consultant by Mr. Johan Rupert, the big boss of Richemont. And IWC is part of the Richemont group. Fill in the blanks. Incidentally, Monty is great friends with Sly Stallone and was instrumental in Sly promoting Panerai when Richemont bought the brand, allegedly for a nominal fee (it was bleeding money). He's an interesting character.

SGR

Great watch! Love the red arrow.

Beautiful dial and watch, i must say it sits perfectly on your wrist.

Congrat's

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's my Swiss dreamwatch... Thanks for sharing!

Lovely dial, I'm a sucker for blue.

It looks deeper in the case than I expected though.

Is there any special reason for that or is it just the photos that makes it look that way?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

What a wanderful watch.
    Congrats my friend.
    Wear it and enjoy.

Master
    Beautiful dial colour, lovely watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Lovely dial, I'm a sucker for blue.

It looks deeper in the case than I expected though.

Is there any special reason for that or is it just the photos that makes it look that way?

M
    It could be the dodgy photos... The case is quite thick (total height 14.5mm including the slightly domed crystal), and the boxy crystal causes quite a bit of apparent space between dial and crystal.

Nice watch
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    That's a very beautiful watch; I love it with that dial colour.

Fantastic watch! :)

Lovely - congrats

i really like that, very nice pctures, those dimensions would make for a perfect dress watch for me.

Master
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm enjoying wearing this one, although I'm still struggling to capture the 'blueness' of it in a picture... Here's a couple more:

Loving this, very understated and classy.

Master
    Likewise think it's a great looking watch.

Blog Entries
    Stunning piece and love the case back detail.

Enjoy

Paul

Master
    Congrats a classic of all classics.

Craftsman
    Great colour on that dial, and a lovely clean appearance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mint "IWC Vintage Collection Ingenieur mate looks ace.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Snappily titled the "IWC Vintage Collection Ingenieur Edition Laureus Sport for Good Foundation", this Limited edition was launched in 2011, and limited to 1,000 pieces. In essence, this is a VC Ingenieur with a blue dial and a solid caseback. The caseback forms the connection to the Laureus charity, and depicts a drawing made by an eight year old boy from Mumbai.

When I chose this one I was comparing it with several other blue-dialled watches in a similar price bracket. I decided to go for this one, despite never having seen one in the flesh...

Between ordering it and delivery, I had to wait about 10 days, and during that time, my anxiety grew, concerning the size of the watch - would it be too big, or would I get away with it...

Additionally, being a relatively large watch (42.5mm x 14.5mm), but a fundamentally simple design, this one would only achieve success through the quality of the detail execution...I had looked at hundreds of online pictures and a couple of videos, but still, I waited with some trepidation.

Finally, whilst researching this model, I was amazed (and somewhat concerned) at the amount of information pertaining to replicas/fakes/copies. However, I believe I've done my homework and sourced it from a reputable supplier with a full history, so no real worries on that score.

Inside, this has the IWC 80111 movement, which is well-proven and extremely robust in-house movement, with the Pellaton winding system. It has 28 jewels and 44 hours power reserve.

Some commentators criticise this model because it lacks a faraday cage for enhanced magnetic protection, claiming that it cannot be a "real" Ingenieur without this feature. I can understand that point of view, but since I like the watch, I decided to overlook the issue, and anyway, if I need an anti-magnetic watch, I have a few in the box. :)

This watch has 120m WR and a screw-in crown, adding some additional credibility to the "tool" origins. On the alligator strap it weighs in at 99g, which is relatively light for a watch of this size, and is just about the same as an AT on alligator/deployant.

Overall, this is very well executed,............difficult to categorise - too large to be a dress watch, quite understated for a sport watch, and a bit bling for a tool watch. One of details I particularly like is the minute track, which appear to be individually applied round steel markers. This is not the best picture, but maybe it shows the idea..

On the wrist...

Happily, despite the dimensions (42.5mm x 14.5mm, 22mm lugs, 50mm lug-to-lug), I think it is a good fit and it has a good balance of 'wrist presence' and conservative looks.

My conclusions:

A big part of choosing watches (for me) is to ensure they fit into my collection, so I needed to consider this watch in that context, rather than solely as an individual watch. In this respect I can overlook the foibles (1.5mm taller than ideal, and no soft-iron cage - which may have made it even taller...) and appreciate the simplicity and quality of execution. Adding another brand to my collection and a smart-looking blue dial help tick a couple more boxes, and therefore, I'm happy to say this watch fits in nicely. :)