closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your 'Perfect' watch

Craftsman

Your 'Perfect' watch

I've come to the conclusion, that the reason that I've flipped so many watches over the last few years is for the main reason that I've always found something that I don't particularly like about near enough every watch I've had. Maybe 'not liking' is a bit strong but 'not bonding with' could be nearer the mark

I thought I'd found my 'Perfect watch' with the Sub-C but in the end the big square case really started to bug me to the point of never getting it out of the box. There are small idiosyncrasies with near enough every other watch I've had that are prolly only bugging to me, but maybe I'm strating to get OCD

So I was thinking..If a big watch brand was to offer you the chance to completely design your own watch to your own specifications. what would it be?

This would be mine..

My brand would be ROLEX, and I would base it around the most comfortable [again for me] watch that I've owned and that is the 16660 Seadweller

I'd use the same case as the 16660 or maybe boost it up 1 or 2mm, but still the exact dimensions and tailor everything else to this case set

I'd then use the dial from the DSSD [without the engraved inner bezel] with the superb blue lume

I'd use the bracelet from the Sub-C but replace the clasp with a smaller version of the DSSD glidelock clasp

I'd then use the bezel and crystal from the smaller Omega P.O Liquid metal, with of course the double AR which makes all the P.O's look superb [this may have to be thicker for the depth rating]

and the movement, I'd stick with Rolex's 3135 simply on the 'if it ain't broken, then why fix it' priciple

obviously, all of these parts will need to be re-designed and made from scratch as I'm not suggesting using actual existing parts and doing a super franken. But this I reckon would then be my own personal 'perfect watch'

How about you?

Master
    I'd like to see Rolex re-issue this watch as a especial edition, at somewhere around 38mm size and with as few other changes as possible - most importantly keeping the 'skinny' feel of vintage Rolex models, rather than the 'fat' feeling of modern ones:

I'd be interested in seeing a Grand Seiko 10f quartz perpetual calendar, plus independent hour hand. Possibly with 'Grand Seiko' rather than 'Seiko' on the dial to help people to see past the logo.

I'd like to see an Oyterquartz 2, of course there nearly was one but we never got to see it. I'd also like to see any of the non-Japanese big names make and promote a credible high accuracy quartz, either with a smooth second hand, or several ticks per second (eg 2 or 4) to overcome preconceptions. And I mean, without wacky 'futuristic' styling designed to avoid competition with mechanical watches. Extra points for a 70s Genta influence in the styling. Also, a genuine effort to overcome issues like scratching, and needing servicing. Sorry if that's not too specific, but you can see where I'm going - anyone for an affordable, accurate, unscratchable Royal Oak perpetual without the service charges? Surely achievable in the year twenty fourteen?

Master
    16610LV with new style bracelet, DSSD clasp and 116610LV green ceramic bezel.

I'm sure I could dream up something much more exciting than that, but that's the watch I've always wished they'd made.

New member and first post.

Sub C Date is as near to perfect as it comes for me, although I do find the case a tiny bit blocky and lately the hands have been annoying me a bit - I think the gold edges are a bit too showy.

Sword hands and slightly smaller lugs, but not a 16610 case, would be ideal.

Bracelet, clasp, ceramic bezel, maxi dial, and movement are all superb, to the point that I have got rid of most of my other watches as they were not getting wrist time.

There is no perfect watch, which is why this madness forces us to own more than one.
    F.T.F.A.

A 42mm Explorer II cased up Sea-Dweller 2000m, with HEV, and double red writing with Submariner 2000 on the dial and the SubC bracelet, optionally rubber strap similar to Pelagos, and a nato similar to the Black Bay - in a NICE box! - oh and in an initial release of around 100 (for which I would be personally invited to buy).
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Rolex with a 5513 case, matt dial, date, domed plexi without cyclops, red writing on the dial, matt ceramic bezel, with the bracelet from the Subc, limited edition

Simple.

There is no perfect (single) watch as I keep coming back to this………….

[/URL]

With this almost always lurking in the background…...

[/URL]

I am also 83% sure I will buy an explorer I and this will be the 3 watches that I will have with me most of the time as the complete travel collection.

If I were to be totally happy the explorer I would be the 39mm version with a larger handset (hmm wonder if Jocke could do that?)………….

For me it would simply be a Double Red SD complete with an ally bezel insert and domed plexi but with the new bracelet and clasp.
    I don't think they'd be able to make enough of them.

Orbital moonphase
    Annual calendar
    Flyback Chronograph
    Micro rotor and display back
    Rose gold
    Roman numerals not obscured
    42mm
    Water resistance of 100m

Somewhere between Chopard, AP and Patek I think...

Reissued Milsub in a 5513 case with matte dial, MOD hands and 60-minute bezel, but with drilled lugs. They can leave the T off the dial as a concession to authenticity. Supplied with Admiralty Grey NATO and modern Glidelock bracelet.

Invicta movement.

Your 'Perfect' watch

Oh, and there is no perfect watch, because none of us is here in the quest for a perfect watch. We're here because obsessing over watches is our favorite pastime. If we found a perfect watch we'd have to stop looking, and we don't want to, so we'll always find some reason to continue.
    Last edited by dbt001; 31st December 2013 at 14:23.

Something simple in the style and size of the Smiths Military/PRS 29A at 36mm with a nice polished case and crisp dial, domed sapphire crystal, and non ETA handwinding movement.
    Now I think about it, the Nomos Club Dunkel almost meets that description - damn those lugs.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 31st December 2013 at 14:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Archduke View Post
    New member and first post.

Sub C Date is as near to perfect as it comes for me, although I do find the case a tiny bit blocky and lately the hands have been annoying me a bit - I think the gold edges are a bit too showy.

Sword hands and slightly smaller lugs, but not a 16610 case, would be ideal.

Bracelet, clasp, ceramic bezel, maxi dial, and movement are all superb, to the point that I have got rid of most of my other watches as they were not getting wrist time.
    Welcome and HNY

No perfect watch for me. I find the point in seeking for perfection.
    As my mood drifts by the time, so drifts my definition of perfection.
    Last edited by NenoS; 31st December 2013 at 15:27. Reason: Answer to OP

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Orbital moonphase
    Annual calendar
    Flyback Chronograph
    Micro rotor and display back
    Rose gold
    Roman numerals not obscured
    42mm
    Water resistance of 100m

Somewhere between Chopard, AP and Patek I think...
    Oh, and made by Jaeger-LeCoultre naturally :)

Also I'd like the Reverso GranSport Chronograph movement in an 8 Day Grande case with an 8 day escapement, rose gold and able to accept a leather strap!

Milsub reissue

Might be able to afford one of them!

Grand Master
    I think the PRS82 and 21 are going to be keepers and the rest(below)will be going in the new year.

1603 datejust
    1991 Speedy
    SHOM
    Omega 2254
    Speedbird GMT

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by w2w View Post
    This would be mine..

My brand would be ROLEX, and I would base it around the most comfortable [again for me] watch that I've owned and that is the 16660 Seadweller
    I'd use the same case as the 16660 or maybe boost it up 1 or 2mm, but still the exact dimensions and tailor everything else to this case set
    I'd then use the dial from the DSSD [without the engraved inner bezel] with the superb blue lume
    I'd use the bracelet from the Sub-C but replace the clasp with a smaller version of the DSSD glidelock clasp
    I'd then use the bezel and crystal from the smaller Omega P.O Liquid metal, with of course the double AR which makes all the P.O's look superb [this may have to be thicker for the depth rating]
    and the movement, I'd stick with Rolex's 3135 simply on the 'if it ain't broken, then why fix it' priciple
    I've tried my best to re-create what you have described - here you go...

I don't know about perfect watch, but my perfect military watch:

Quote Originally Posted by xenon View Post
    I don't know about perfect watch, but my perfect military watch:
    I agree with you for a simple functional well designed option, but also admire the Seiko Sportura GMT 0090 with the 8F56 movement.
    Simple clean and clear design. Quartz very accurate movement +/- 20 secs/year with 10 year battery. Alas no longer available.

Quote Originally Posted by RJK35 View Post
    I agree with you for a simple functional well designed option, but also admire the Seiko Sportura GMT 0090 with the 8F56 movement.
    Simple clean and clear design. Quartz very accurate movement +/- 20 secs/year with 10 year battery. Alas no longer available.
    Ah but if you see - I've customised the hands. Makes all the difference to the appearance IMO!

Journeyman

Beauty

Beauty

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Beautiful watch well done ,
    Wanting one badly ...

Journeyman

Nice collection ,

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Milsub reissue

Might be able to afford one of them!
    Keep the lot ,

Craftsman
    My perfect watch would look awful, I'm picturing an inspector gadget timepiece to satisfy all my needs!

The Omega TA. Perfect as it is. Everything else is a compromise, I'm afraid.

SubC for me. Goes with everything and any occasion. The bracelet / guide lock is unbeatable.

Craftsman

Great bit of work

For me: Reverso in rose gold; grande size, but a bit thinner; two faces with sun/moon on the white face and a plainer black face on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    The Omega TA. Perfect as it is. Everything else is a compromise, I'm afraid.

I am rendered speechless...other than for my instincts screaming how right you are...I've lost my appetite...feel slightly giddy...and daft for being so ...all at the same time. Perfection indeed.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 31st December 2013 at 21:36.

Got to chime in with the boring old Sub C

I like the fat lugs, and the case to bracelet relationship actually has echoes of the original sub - but to make it aesthetically perfect they could have bevelled the lug edges & lost all the superlative text off the dial (it should just say -at most- Submariner / 1000ft-300m / COSC)

God i'm easily pleased!!

After serious consideration, it would probably be this.

Journeyman
    Still this , serious lottery win and I will have one.

My 2009 submariner is the watch that I always wear. Even when I've bought others I keep coming back to this. It is the standard against which other watches I have had are measured. It is the perfect watch for me at the moment. It has sentimental value too so that always helps.

Master
    After serious consideration, it would probably be this.
    With a matching tritium pearl, I hope ;-)

Banned
    I always have a perfect watch, but it's never safe.

A friend asked to buy a watch today I thought I'd never sell. I did.

Master
    I'll take the Omega POC Ti LM with a blue date wheel.

Sorted.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Sub c + 1

An official version of this watch would be nice but in 42mm with a matte dial

Master
    There's no such thing.

One that changes shape everyday?

Even if ‘perfection’ was discovered, we’d get bored and want change for the sake of change.

These two are both ones I could live with as an only watch and be entirely happy....perfect for me.

Your 'Perfect' watch

This is the watch I have bounded to more than any other watch of mine.
    Probably most because I love the looks and it's supercomfy

Last edited by Erwind; 1st January 2014 at 23:40.

I love the mechanics of watches and like a skeletonised dial but all of the ones I have seen thus far have been either too ornate or have been too busy and cluttered and nigh on impossible to read the time.

And then Hublot have brought this out

My perfect watch and I have one inbound - I think that's me done for a while, I haven't seen any watch that looks nicer than that (IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    A 42mm Explorer II cased up Sea-Dweller 2000m, with HEV, and double red writing with Submariner 2000 on the dial and the SubC bracelet, optionally rubber strap similar to Pelagos, and a nato similar to the Black Bay - in a NICE box! - oh and in an initial release of around 100 (for which I would be personally invited to buy).
    Almost exactly my ideal watch - except Id prefer a 40mm case as slim as a sub (which Im sure they could do without much difficulty) and a ceramic sub bezel.
    Oh - and a TOTAL release of around 50 numbered pieces (for which Id be sent - at no cost - #1!) - ok - got carried away there!

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

My 'perfect' watch...

1. SCOPE

1.1 This specification contains the requirements for a wrist watch with an elapsed time ring capable of operating at a depth of 1200 feet and at an altitude of 35,000 feet which is not affected by operation in a magnetic field of 125 gauss. A strap is furnished with the watch.

2. Requirements.

2.1. Design - The watch shall be designed to operate at a water depth of at least 1200 feet and an altitude of no more than 35,000 feet and in a magnetic field of 125 Guass. A self winding, crown set movement, which can be manually wound, containing a second hand stop mechanism, a manually locking crown, with a minimum of 17 jewels and a shock absorbing device shall drive concentrically mounted hour, minute and sweep second hands, and have a date display.

2.2. Materials - All materials shall be of uniform quality and free of defects which might impair the functioning or accuracy of the watch. Material which is not specified by a definite material specification shall be of a composition and quality that will enable the watch to meet all requirement stated herein.

2.2.1. Metal parts - All external metal parts shall be corrosion resistant steel. Internal parts which are susceptible to corrosion shall be protected by a lubricant except those parts whose proper functioning would be detrimentally affected.

2.2.2. Paint -

2.2.2.1. White paint - All areas of the dials, hands, and elapsed time ring for which White, Color No. 37875 is specified, shall be a paint or lacquer containing a minimum of 25% pigment. The pigment shall contain a minimum of 90% Titanium Dioxide (TiO2).

2.2.2.2. Self-luminous paint - The self-luminous paint for dials, hands and elapsed time ring (bezel) shall consist of a phosphorescent material, ceramic-bound spheres of Tritium or Promethium 147 and a binder. The quantity of Tritium or Promethium 147 in the self-luminous paint shall not exceed 100 microcuries per watch as specified for timepieces in Title 10, Chapter I, Part 30 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

2.2.2.3. Undercoat - A paint or lacquer undercoat shall be applied to the total areas of the dial, hands and elapsed time ring containing self-luminous paint. The undercoat shall be a minimum thickness of 0.001 inch and contain a minimum of 25% pigment. The pigment shall contain a minimum of 90% Titanium Dioxide (TiO2).

2.2.3. Movement.- The movement shall be crown-wound and self-winding, crown set, with the crown located at the three o'clock position of the dial.

2.2.3.1. Self-winding rotor.- The self-winding rotor shall operate through 360̊, in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions.

2.2.3.2. Mainspring.- The material for the mainspring shall be a corrosion-resistant "nonbreakable" alloy.

2.2.3.3. Running time. - When fully wound, the mainspring shall drive the movement a minimum of 36 hours without being wound or the self-winding mechanism being activated.

2.2.3.4. Hairspring and balance wheel assembly.- The movement shall have a temperature compensated hairspring and a solid monometallic, nonmagnetic balance wheel.

2.2.3.5. Second hand stop mechanism - Pulling the crown from the winding position to the setting position shall result in stopping of the movement and hands. Rotation of the crown, in the setting position, shall allow the minute and hours to be set without any movement of the second hand. The depressing of the crown to the winding position shall result in the movement and hands resuming the measurement of time.

2.2.4. Case.- The case shall provide protection for the crown and designed to limit access t o the movement except to authorized repair personnel.

2.2.4.1. Case bars.- The bars of the case through which the strap is inserted shall be an integral part of the case or solid bars permanently secured to the case and capable of withstanding a pull of 40 +/-2 ½ pounds.

2.2.4.2. Crown - The crown shall have a straight knurl, at least 1/4 inch in diameter, and include a locking mechanism. The release of the locking mechanism, by rotating counterclockwise, shall result in the crown moving into the winding position.

2.2.4.3. Finish.- The case, case bars and crown shall have a dull nonreflecting finish.

2.2.4.4. Crystal.- The crystal shall be clear, uncolored and free from bubbles or other imperfections which may interfere with reading of the watch, after being subjected to a depth of 1200 feet and an altitude of 35,000 feet. The crystal shall be recessed within the elapsed time ring.

2.2.4.5. Elapsed time ring - The elapsed time ring shall have a luminous triangle at the 12 position and graduated in hours and from the triangle to the number 4, minutes. The ring shall have an outer diameter 0.025 to 0.030 inches less than the outer diameter of the watch case. The ring shall permit rotation and setting by pressure of the fingers and be designed to assure that the ring does not move when exposed to shock and vibration. The outer edge shall be serrated.

2.2.4.5.1. Finish.- The elapsed time ring shall have a dull nonreflecting finish.

2.2.5. Dial - The dial shall be marked with the hours in easily read gothic typeface approximately 3/32 inch high, inside the hours a supplemental set of 24 hour numbers shall be provided. Outside the hour numbers there shall be a minute track each marker adjacent to the hour number shall be a luminous triangle. The dial face, with markings, shall have a durable transparent protective coating

2.2.6. Hands.- There shall be three hands, one each to indicate the hour, minute and second. All hands shall be luminous. The hour and minute hand shall be ladder shaped with the luminous filling in the openings. The hands shall have a 60 degree point for the minute hand and a 75 degree point for the hour hand.

2.2.7. Date display - The date display shall be at the three o'clock position on the dial. The base color of the date display shall be black and the color of the numbers shall be white.

2.3. Performance.

2.3.1. Synchronization.- The hands shall be synchronized to eliminate the possibility of error in reading correct time. The hour hand shall indicate the correct time within -/+ one (1) dial graduation, when the minute hand is at any hour, from 1 through 12.

2.3.2. Crown.- The locking mechanism shall remain in the locked position when subjected to shock, vibration, a pull of 10 +/- 0.25 pounds, and a torque of 8 +/- 1/2 inch-ounces.

2.3.2.1 Setting.- The crown shall be capable, while being moved from winding to set position, of withstanding a pull of seven (7) pounds, -/+ 0.25 pound.

2.3.3 Elapsed time ring.

2.3.3.1. Design.- The elapsed time ring shall be designed t o assure that the outer edge (shoulder) of the crystal is recessed within the elapsed time ring.

2.3.3.2 Torque.- The elapsed time ring shall move only when a torque of 26 -/+ 6 inch ounces is applied.

2.3.3.3 Displacement - The elapsed time ring shall be capable of withstanding, without damage, two (2) forces, each of ten (10), +/- 1/2 pounds, applied to the lower side of the elapsed time ring. The forces shall be applied alternately to opposite sides of the elapsed time ring with the index (triangle) of the elapsed time ring at the 3 o'clock position of the dial.

2.3.4 Isochronism.- In the dial up position at 23, +/- 10̊C, the difference in rate in a 24 hour period, between the first four hours and the last four hours, shall not exceed five (5) seconds.

2.3.5 Magnetism.- While running, the daily rate shall not exceed +15 seconds, -5 seconds after being subjected to a magnetic field of 125 +/- 1.0 Gauss, with the crown of the watch parallel to the direction of the magnetic field.

2.3.6. Brightness - The watch shall be capable of being distinctly read in darkness at a minimum distance of twelve (12) inches from the eyes of a dark adapted observer having normal vision.

2.3.7. Vibration - While running, the watch shall not be damaged by ninety (90) minutes of simple harmonic motion having an amplitude of 0.03 inch (0.06 inch maximum total excursion), the frequency being varied uniformly between the approximate limits 10 and 55 hertz (Hz). The entire frequency range, between 10 and 55 Hz and return to 10 Hz, shall be traversed in approximately one (1) minute, The motion shall be applied for thirty (30) minutes in each of the following directions:

a. Perpendicular to dial
    b. Through the 6 and 12 positions of the dial
    c. Through the 3 and 9 positions of the dial

2.3.8. Storage.- The watch shall show no evidence of damage affecting serviceability after being subjected to storage temperatures of -53̊C and +65̊C for 24 hours at each temperature.

2.3.9. Altitude.- Watches shall show no evidence of damage when subjected to an altitude of 35,000 feet for a minimum of sixty (60) minutes.

2.3.10. Accuracy.- After meeting the requirements of 2.3.1 t o 2.3.9 inclusive, the watches shall have a daily rate and mean daily rate as specified in 3.9.10.1 and 3.9.10.2. The daily and mean daily rates shall be determined in the dial-up and crown-down positions.

2.3.10.1. Daily rate - The daily rate, in each of the specified positions, at 23̊C, +-/ 10̊C, shall not exceed +15 seconds, -5 seconds; at 4̊ +/-1̊C shall not exceed +21 seconds, -11 seconds and a t 52̊C, -/+ 10̊ C shall not exceed +28 seconds, -18 seconds.

2.3.10.2. Mean daily rate.- The mean daily rate, in each of the specified positions , a t 23̊C, -/+ 10̊ C, shall not exceed +15 seconds, -5 seconds.

2.3.11. Shock - The watch shall show no evidence of damage after one uncontrolled drop, while running, from a height of two (2) feet, 6 inches, onto a block of hard wood. The daily rate, in each of the positions specified in 3.10 shall not exceed, at 23̊C, +/- 10̊C, +20 seconds, - 10 seconds.

2.3.12. Waterproofness - Watches shall show no evidence of damage and reject the entry of water at a depth of 1200 feet for a minimum of sixty (60) minutes. The daily rate, in each of the positions specified in 3.10 shall not exceed, at 23̊C, +/- 10̊C, +20 seconds, -10 seconds.

2.4. Workmanship.- Workmanship shall be of a quality consistent with the highest instrument production standards and practices., All finished surfaces shall be protected against corrosion or damage during manufacture prior to delivery. All surfaces shall be free of burrs and sharp edges. All material shall be sound, of uniform quality and condition, and free from seams, cracks and other defects which may adversely affect the strength, endurance or wear resistance of the watch. Any material which has been treated in any manner t o conceal defects therein, shall not be offered for acceptance.

^ Very specific, but hardly "perfect"...^ ;)

A Grand Seiko with name Rolex in red print on it!😄

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    ^ Very specific, but hardly "perfect"...^ ;)
    It is for me......