closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TAG Heuer Carrera 1887 50th Anniversary Jack Heuer edition

Craftsman

Cool TAG Heuer Carrera 1887 50th Anniversary Jack Heuer edition

Recently I received gift from my wife for the 30th birthday. It wasn't as much of a suprise since she didn't want to spend money on something I wouldn't like so she left it to me to decide which watch I would like to get. Earlier this year I bought her Omega Constellation (for her 30th) so bar was set high :-)

It took me good couple of months to actually make up my mind what I like most, I have always been a big fan of TAG Heuer due to their motorsport heritage and these were top of the list for me shortly followed by IWC and Longines.
    I did try IWC Portugese 3714-17 which is generally considered one of the best looking chronographs available but for some reason, while certainly looking good, didn't appeal to me as much as some TAGs.

For long time I was convinced that new TAG Heuer Carrera 1887 43mm is the one to go for and it is very good looking watch but it doesn't feel special. Its great dress watch but to be honest there is Longines I like that also would fill this category and is fair bit cheaper. So decision was made to go for the sports watch.

I also considered new all black TAG Heuer Monaco ACM edition but whilst always liking Monaco's this one for some reason didn't feel right on the wrist. Don't get me wrong, if money was no object I would have it as well.

Two watches that were in the running...

So in the end this is the watch I decided to go for.

I'll spare you technical information about the watch or the movement as its already been well described on Calibre 11 blog:
    http://www.calibre11.com/review-tag-...87-jack-heuer/

Couple of people asked how does it wear - well, it wears great! Its a big watch, no question about it (see comparison photo with SKX009) but due to titanium chassis its weight its reduced and it feels really light on the wrist. For comparison Seiko SKX009 on Jubilee bracelet is 144g while this watch (granted on leather) is 122g.
    Because it still is a large watch you have to be careful whilst wearing it so you don't catch it/hit it with anything but it's very comfortable.

What I like particularly its clever clasp adjustment mechanism where it just slides on the leather strap and allows very precise fitment to the size of the wrist.

Despite its bullhead design it still fits well under the cuffs, single - will depend on the shirt but double cuff will depend on the cuff link style - most of mine are quite large so allow plenty of space between cuffs.

In terms of legibility of the dial - I don't find it any better to see due to the bullhead style but because dial is so large you can very easily tell what time it is.
    Haven't had a chance to test the lume yet.

Overall I'm very very pleased with the watch, it feels special to wear and I'm going to enjoy every moment of it strapped on my wrist.

For the record - watch was purchased from Iconic Watches and I cannot fault their service - I was wary myself before using them but can honestly say they've been very helpful.

lovely looking watch.

Congrats!

Beautiful watch! Very, very interesting design.

Congrats x 2

Thats a lovely watch.
    Have been lusting after this since I first saw it.

Wear it in good health.

Nice review, really, thanks a lot for sharing!

Journeyman
    Great review, an enjoyable read

Master
    Congrats! I also got myself a tag recently, i got this:

http://calibre11.wpengine.netdna-cdn...-Jack-8122.jpg

It wears great and love the Heuer logo. Congrats and wear it in good health!

Master
    Great review

To the OP: Beautiful watch and great review. I didn't understand what you meant by bull horn until I saw the pictures. I've always loved TAG's; for me is their motor sport heritage and the image of the mid 80's McLarens in the hands of Ayrton.

Kaiser, I'm guessing that's a reissue Heuer? Again beautiful watch.

Master
    yep it's the reissue boutique edition

Beautiful watch. I'm currently in the market for a new Tag as well think I may go with this one- http://www.tagheuer.co.uk/int-en/lux...car2111-ba0724

Master
    Excellent write up and great looking watch, thanks for sharing.